HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-season injuries (that may impact season start)

Old
02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Kurz believes Burns is a few weeks away from returning.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin...l-burns-return
Hope he's right for once.

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
poppap527

What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
Burns is a premiere defensemen. They are hard to come by, you don't make them play forward. Trade someone else for a forward if you have to but other than that, no.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Burns - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Gomez - Galiardi
Desjardins - Handzus - Burish

Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Demers
Irwin - Braun

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
Kitten Mittons

Burish likes to make hits. We should put him on defense.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Could pair him with seto

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Brokencow

Quote:
I would feel the same way as I did when Sergei Federov played defense.

Brokencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Adamantly against it. He's a #1 defenseman and the future of our D core.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
I don't like it.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
I don't like it.
Quoted

In case he comes back and leads the league in goals as a forward.

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
I could see TMac using it as a secret weapon on a limited basis. Burns parked in front of the goalie on the PP could have some merit

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
WTFetus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Burns parked in front of the goalie on the PP could have some merit
That's just a waste. Just because he's big, it doesn't mean he should screen the goalie. Especially considering his wrister is lethal.
I would say maybe Murray, but even that's a stretch. You need at least some offensive instincts to tip pucks and bat in rebounds. Murray has none.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:28 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Didn't Jacques Lemaire kinda screw up Burns when he did that? Burns got moved to defense and he was starting to do well then he got moved back to forward. Anyways, it's a bad idea.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Burns is a premiere defensemen. They are hard to come by, you don't make them play forward. Trade someone else for a forward if you have to but other than that, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokencow View Post
I would feel the same way as I did when Sergei Federov played defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Adamantly against it. He's a #1 defenseman and the future of our D core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Didn't Jacques Lemaire kinda screw up Burns when he did that? Burns got moved to defense and he was starting to do well then he got moved back to forward. Anyways, it's a bad idea.
Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:44 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..
I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?

Old
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
I still want Burns back on defense next season...

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 04:43 PM
poppap527

Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?
The point is, I love being right, because it doesn't happen often.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:07 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
If Braun didn't end up being amazing, it'd kinda suck.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:46 PM
OrrNumber4

My thinking was that they were choosing between a 40-50 point, puck-moving and puck-rushing defenseman with good defensive skills, and a two-way winger who could get 70 points leeching off Thornton. The former is much more valuable and rarer than the latter.

In reality, the choice was between said defenseman, and a monster power forward. That kind of player is equally, if not more, rare. He absolutely revolutionizes the first line...and that translates into points and goals for his linemates; it also trickles down to the other lines.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
StalockSuperfan

Quote:
Yeah, I still stand by what I said.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:48 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.

Old
12-03-2013, 05:49 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
If Braun didn't end up being amazing, it'd kinda suck.
Not a good comparison. Braun is turning out into a great defensive-dman who can move/pass the puck. A #4 guy. Burns was slated to be a #1 premier d-man.

Frankly, Braun is getting overrated. Perhaps it is because he is shining compared to Demers, Irwin, and Petrecki, but is he that much better than the heights Demers reached in 2010?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Not a good comparison. Braun is turning out into a great defensive-dman who can move/pass the puck. A #4 guy. Burns was slated to be a #1 premier d-man.

Frankly, Braun is getting overrated. Perhaps it is because he is shining compared to Demers, Irwin, and Petrecki, but is he that much better than the heights Demers reached in 2010?
I disagree. Braun has been comparable to Vlasic this year. And Vlasic has been fantastic. I do not know how that is overrating Braun.

12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.
Good to know that you could never be wrong and those that "took the other view" could never be right

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
poppap527

Quote:
Can you say that last part, one more time?

I'm just saying it did work out and he's been fun to watch. It has worked out well with the team and at the time I made the statement, we had 8 NHL caliber Dmen, were thin on forwards, weren't scoring goals, and Burns had experience up front.

It kind of made sense to at least experiment with it. I won't even go as far to say I thought it would work out this well, however.