HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-season injuries (that may impact season start)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 10:56 AM
  #176
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Kurz believes Burns is a few weeks away from returning.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin...l-burns-return
Hope he's right for once.

__________________

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:37 PM
  #177
poppap527
Registered User
 
poppap527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,289
vCash: 500
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
  #178
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
Burns is a premiere defensemen. They are hard to come by, you don't make them play forward. Trade someone else for a forward if you have to but other than that, no.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  #179
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Burns - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Gomez - Galiardi
Desjardins - Handzus - Burish

Vlasic - Boyle
Stuart - Demers
Irwin - Braun


WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:19 PM
  #180
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,527
vCash: 500
Burish likes to make hits. We should put him on defense.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
  #181
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,288
vCash: 50
Could pair him with seto

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:57 PM
  #182
Brokencow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oakland
Posts: 566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
I would feel the same way as I did when Sergei Federov played defense.

Brokencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  #183
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
Adamantly against it. He's a #1 defenseman and the future of our D core.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  #184
Inub0i
I will Q
 
Inub0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UC Irvine, Irvine
Country: United States
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
I don't like it.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:23 PM
  #185
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways
 
Oppa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 2,544
vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
I don't like it.
Quoted

In case he comes back and leads the league in goals as a forward.

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:39 PM
  #186
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
I could see TMac using it as a secret weapon on a limited basis. Burns parked in front of the goalie on the PP could have some merit

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:50 PM
  #187
WTFetus
Moderator
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Burns parked in front of the goalie on the PP could have some merit
That's just a waste. Just because he's big, it doesn't mean he should screen the goalie. Especially considering his wrister is lethal.
I would say maybe Murray, but even that's a stretch. You need at least some offensive instincts to tip pucks and bat in rebounds. Murray has none.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:28 PM
  #188
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Didn't Jacques Lemaire kinda screw up Burns when he did that? Burns got moved to defense and he was starting to do well then he got moved back to forward. Anyways, it's a bad idea.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:42 AM
  #189
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
What is everyones opinion on Burns playing as a forward when he returns? He did it quite often in Minnesota and with the plethora of D men we have, it would be a good way of inserting a hard shot into the forwards group without having to make the tough decision on which Dman to sit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Burns is a premiere defensemen. They are hard to come by, you don't make them play forward. Trade someone else for a forward if you have to but other than that, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokencow View Post
I would feel the same way as I did when Sergei Federov played defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
Adamantly against it. He's a #1 defenseman and the future of our D core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Didn't Jacques Lemaire kinda screw up Burns when he did that? Burns got moved to defense and he was starting to do well then he got moved back to forward. Anyways, it's a bad idea.
Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:44 AM
  #190
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..
I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 11:51 AM
  #191
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Food for thought, just proves anything is possible irregardless of STATS and people's opinion..
I still want Burns back on defense next season...

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 04:43 PM
  #192
poppap527
Registered User
 
poppap527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?
The point is, I love being right, because it doesn't happen often.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:07 PM
  #193
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking
 
hohosaregood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
The point is, I love being right, because it doesn't happen often.
If Braun didn't end up being amazing, it'd kinda suck.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:46 PM
  #194
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,419
vCash: 500
My thinking was that they were choosing between a 40-50 point, puck-moving and puck-rushing defenseman with good defensive skills, and a two-way winger who could get 70 points leeching off Thornton. The former is much more valuable and rarer than the latter.

In reality, the choice was between said defenseman, and a monster power forward. That kind of player is equally, if not more, rare. He absolutely revolutionizes the first line...and that translates into points and goals for his linemates; it also trickles down to the other lines.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM
  #195
StalockSuperfan
Registered User
 
StalockSuperfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,680
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I don't see anything wrong with any of those statements. I see people saying we need a #1 dman more (valid) and people saying It may hurt Burns when he is moved back (yet to be seen). What is your point?
Yeah, I still stand by what I said.

StalockSuperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:48 PM
  #196
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppap527 View Post
The point is, I love being right, because it doesn't happen often.
Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:49 PM
  #197
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
If Braun didn't end up being amazing, it'd kinda suck.
Not a good comparison. Braun is turning out into a great defensive-dman who can move/pass the puck. A #4 guy. Burns was slated to be a #1 premier d-man.

Frankly, Braun is getting overrated. Perhaps it is because he is shining compared to Demers, Irwin, and Petrecki, but is he that much better than the heights Demers reached in 2010?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:54 PM
  #198
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,977
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
Not a good comparison. Braun is turning out into a great defensive-dman who can move/pass the puck. A #4 guy. Burns was slated to be a #1 premier d-man.

Frankly, Braun is getting overrated. Perhaps it is because he is shining compared to Demers, Irwin, and Petrecki, but is he that much better than the heights Demers reached in 2010?
I disagree. Braun has been comparable to Vlasic this year. And Vlasic has been fantastic. I do not know how that is overrating Braun.

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
  #199
Led Zappa
Oy vey...
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 32,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.
Good to know that you could never be wrong and those that "took the other view" could never be right

Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2013, 05:57 PM
  #200
poppap527
Registered User
 
poppap527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Just because a huge risk worked out doesn't mean huge risks are a good idea in general. Sharks got very lucky in this case, but everything said above was totally valid. No one is ever going to make a case to me that "going with your gut" is a valid strategy. There was a lot of evidence that Burns was a top-end defensemen, which the Sharks badly need (still do). There was little to no evidence that he would be a good forward. Anyone who says they 'knew' it would work out is just posturing, you didn't know, you just guessed and by a 50/50 chance you were right.
Can you say that last part, one more time?

I'm just saying it did work out and he's been fun to watch. It has worked out well with the team and at the time I made the statement, we had 8 NHL caliber Dmen, were thin on forwards, weren't scoring goals, and Burns had experience up front.

It kind of made sense to at least experiment with it. I won't even go as far to say I thought it would work out this well, however.

poppap527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.