HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Morgan Rielly discussion thread.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:44 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Does anyone think Eakins is praying that the Moosejaw Warriors make the play-offs? Really though they are not a good team,and won't make them. So in march Rielly's career as a Leaf officially begins. Thats something i will be looking forward to.

A good play-off run,and half to full season with Eakins will work wonders for him.
Dont think Eakins is that shallow lol

However it would be nice for him to join the Marlies for their Calder Run for sure.

02-01-2013, 09:36 PM
will13

Great night tonight for rielly. Picked up 4 points which puts him at 36 in 41 games

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:43 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
Great night tonight for rielly. Picked up 4 points which puts him at 36 in 41 games
Great to hear. How is his skating and his willingness to initiate contact compared to before his injury?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

I'd like to see Gardiner and Rielly play together in the AHL.

Keep Gards down until he's 100% ready. No need to rush our guys

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 09:48 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
Great to hear. How is his skating and his willingness to initiate contact compared to before his injury?
His skating has been outstanding as it always has. As far as iniating contact he doesn't shy away from contact but he doesn't go around crushing people. His defensive game is really coming around as well.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:58 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
His skating has been outstanding as it always has. As far as iniating contact he doesn't shy away from contact but he doesn't go around crushing people. His defensive game is really coming around as well.
Ok, great and thanks for the update. I knew he was not a physical d-man but some times players who have been injured might be a bit hesitant in situations that can end up hurting them. If I remember it correctly he hurt his knee driving the net and ending up slamming into the boards but if he have recovered both physically and mentally then I understand why Leafs where so high on him. Seem to be a friendly person to by going what he say and how he say it in interviews. Cant wait to see him in blue.

Old
02-01-2013, 09:59 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

Quote:

Thanks for the update, nice to his d zone play getting better

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:00 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
I'd like to see Gardiner and Rielly play together in the AHL.

Keep Gards down until he's 100% ready. No need to rush our guys
2 offensive d-man does not make the best pair. But as a PP pair they could probably light up a few goalies.

Old
02-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
2 offensive d-man does not make the best pair. But as a PP pair they could probably light up a few goalies.
Yup. On the PP I meant.

May really help us in a couple years since our PP is pretty crap

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:10 PM
will13

Quote:
Ok, great and thanks for the update. I knew he was not a physical d-man but some times players who have been injured might be a bit hesitant in situations that can end up hurting them. If I remember it correctly he hurt his knee driving the net and ending up slamming into the boards but if he have recovered both physically and mentally then I understand why Leafs where so high on him. Seem to be a friendly person to by going what he say and how he say it in interviews. Cant wait to see him in blue.
Agreed. Can't wait to see him play for the leafs

Old
02-01-2013, 10:56 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this, doesn't it depend on the players, see Rafalski & Neidermeyer, see Rafalski & Lidstrom and also Suter and Weber just for starters.

This is a favorite misconception of many people because offensive d-men are just presumed to be poor defensively. Quality d-men are just that quality d-men and able to contribute in all 3 zones unlike their pylon bretheren. Luke Schenn was drafted as a quality pylon but he was never a quality d-man because his upside was so limited. I believe most teams with more than 1 quality d-men(offensive) do not pair them together because of the inherent weaknesses of the pylon d-men on that team.

I was so hoping TO could get Schultz this summer because a defense of the future consisting of Schultz, Phanny, Reilly and Gardiner would be awesome. Yes they may have to learn the finer points of defense but when they have the puck they know what to do with it, pylon options are pass to their partner or get it out of their zone.
Quality d-men have more options because of their talents. Pylons don't make all-star teams for a reason.

The whole notion of defense is making sure the puck doesn't go in your net and the best way to do that is get it out of your zone. The best defense is an offense.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
Why do people keep saying this, doesn't it depend on the players, see Rafalski & Neidermeyer, see Rafalski & Lidstrom and also Suter and Weber just for starters.

This is a favorite misconception of many people because offensive d-men are just presumed to be poor defensively. Quality d-men are just that quality d-men and able to contribute in all 3 zones unlike their pylon bretheren. Luke Schenn was drafted as a quality pylon but he was never a quality d-man because his upside was so limited. I believe most teams with more than 1 quality d-men(offensive) do not pair them together because of the inherent weaknesses of the pylon d-men on that team.

I was so hoping TO could get Schultz this summer because a defense of the future consisting of Schultz, Phanny, Reilly and Gardiner would be awesome. Yes they may have to learn the finer points of defense but when they have the puck they know what to do with it, pylon options are pass to their partner or get it out of their zone.
Quality d-men have more options because of their talents. Pylons don't make all-star teams for a reason.

The whole notion of defense is making sure the puck doesn't go in your net and the best way to do that is get it out of your zone. The best defense is an offense.
This is exactly it. The whole Offensive D-man/Defensive D-man pairing is really overated.

Nizdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:

Most of the guys you listed are elite 2-way d-man who played together as seasoned veterans. I do hope Reilly and Gardiner develops in that direction but their biggest set of skills is their skating, puck handling and ability to make offensive plays (at least for Reilly).

Old
02-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Quote:

Because there is only one puck. If two offensive dmen have chemistry and play well together then I'm all for it. But if I'm a leaf fan, I want Rielly to have the puck as much as possible because he can do some creative stuff with it. And the exact same goes for Gardiner. If they are on the same pairing, every moment one guy rushes with the puck is another moment the other guy doesn't have it. I wouldn't want to limit our options especially when we could have them on different pairs. If you think that way then its pretty clear.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:51 PM
diceman934

Was at the game last night Morgan played very well......it is a huge adjustment from the NHL camp to the WHL......he is a huge talent.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Jerkini

I want to see a few more 4 point nights for Rielly. That's the kind of domination I was hoping for after the WJC and NHL training camps.

Jerkini is online now   Reply With Quote