HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Michel Therrien

Old
02-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Roulin

vCash: 500
I went on a tangent about this a few days ago in another thread, but this thread seems more appropriate.

PK minutes per game so far (after 6 games):

Plekanec 3.45
White 1.30
Eller 0.39
Desharnais 0.11

Plekanec is a very good player in all situations. If there is one criticism I would make against his value as a player, it is his stamina. I haven't seen anyone try to quantify this, but to my eye (and I know many agree), he is usually not the same player by the end of the season.

Plekanec is probably our most effective penalty killing forward, but, by what margin? Does it make that much of a difference, that it's worth putting him out there for defencemen to shoot at more than twice as often as any other center on the team? My instinct says no, that I would rather use depth players in this role, rather than our best.

The turtleneck also leads Hab centers in ES ice time, for good reason. IMO it is much more difficult for Therrien to get favorable matchups if he redistributes those ES minutes. So if we're going to lighten that 20+ minute load, I think the PK is the logical place to start.

I'd also apply some of that philosophy to Markov, especially with Subban back.

Last edited by Roulin: 02-01-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
niftymove

mt with his team concept looks good this season.

I just worry how fast a tough approach like his with players can backfire after a losing streak?

niftymove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I went on a tangent about this a few days ago in another thread, but this thread seems more appropriate.

PK minutes per game so far (after 6 games):

Plekanec 3.45
White 1.30
Eller 0.39
Desharnais 0.11

Plekanec is a very good player in all situations. If there is one criticism I would make against his value as a player, it is his stamina. I haven't seen anyone try to quantify this, but to my eye (and I know many agree), he is usually not the same player by the end of the season.

Plekanec is probably our most effective penalty killing forward, but, by what margin? Does it make that much of a difference, that it's worth putting him out there for defencemen to shoot at more than twice as often as any other center on the team? My instinct says no, that I would rather use depth players in this role, rather than our best.

The turtleneck also leads Hab centers in ES ice time, for good reason. IMO it is much more difficult for Therrien to get favorable matchups if he redistributes those ES minutes. So if we're going to lighten that 20+ minute load, I think the PK is the logical place to start.

I'd also apply some of that philosophy to Markov, especially with Subban back.
I don't have an issue with plek's icetime on the PK, but I do have an issue with the overall PK scheme being used this year. I don't like the extent to which this team collpases to the net, leaving the points wide open.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 02:42 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by denidd View Post
mt with his team concept looks good this season.

I just worry how fast a tough approach like his with players can backfire after a losing streak?
I dont think this just comes from Therrien......I am pretty sure higher ups have order this mentality.

I like it

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
JesusBouillon

I got to say, Michel's handling of the Gallys is much better than his handling of Ribeiro in his first stint. He's giving them chances to succeed, not being scared to boot a veteran off the pp to give one of them a shot, I like it.

Of course, they're making it easy on him by playing well.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Frankc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
I got to say, Michel's handling of the Gallys is much better than his handling of Ribeiro in his first stint. He's giving them chances to succeed, not being scared to boot a veteran off the pp to give one of them a shot, I like it.

Of course, they're making it easy on him by playing well.
They are very different than Ribeiro too... way more matures. Ribeiro was (and still is) a teenager.. While both Gallys looks like very young humble men that appreciate every chances they are given and they want to learn... Easier to handle for Therrien too..

Frankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Pluses:
Our team's very crisp passing.
Actually giving players in his doghouse a chance to get out of it. (Eller)

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
I think at this point we have to give the guy some credit. I don't recall so much intensity with this team.

Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He is obviously getting it done. We never get to see how much the assistant/associate coaches matter. But I have to think that good ones working in good relationships with the head make some difference too. Gallant and Daigneault seem sharp in their interviews, anyway.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:44 PM
dcyhabs

odd-man rushes

It is a huge relief this year to have gotten away from the contradictory system Martin installed. On the one hand The System was supposed to emphasize defense over offense and win 1-0 hockey games. On the other hand while Martin was in charge there were constant odd man rushes coming at Price. It was ridiculous, there was no pressure on the opposition but somehow the forwards were still caught up ice and Price was consistently left to face tough shots as the team failed to get back even though they had not actually gone forward. There have been some breakaways and 3 on 2s against this year but it has been pretty rare. This year there is actual puck possession and pressure, the things Martin talked about but that his system never produced. The defense is not getting constantly hammered, either, so there is some hope that, without Martin, they may actually stay healthy.

I had not thought about it, but it is also very refreshing to see players enter the doghouse, languish briefly, and EXIT the dog house. The last few coaches (Carbonneau, Martin, who cares about Cunneyworth) never cared if players improved, they would go with their initial read on a player and ignore any and all changes. Eller had some tough games, but he's looking good out there now. He was one of the few bright spots last year, a puck retrieval machine. He's tough, he hits, he has some skill, and he's starting to look (to me, a non-expert) like a good two way winger who goes to the net instead of a center who focuses on defense.

Galchenyuk looks great, too. He gets his points no matter how little ice time he has, just like in the World Juniors. Tied in 3rd for scoring with 12 minutes a game...

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:46 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Okay so hypothetically if the habs finish 5th-6th or better , I think Michel Therrien would deserve the Jack Adams award regardless of the team's success in the playoffs. The team hasn't changed much since last year and the big changes that came were the coach's decisions regarding the Gals and Prust.

It's a touchy subject since everytime the habs lose a game tons of #FireTherrien comments start to pop up, any thoughts?

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:48 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I think this board needs this

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:03 PM
disturbedraven
Lets rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
Okay so hypothetically if the habs finish 5th-6th or better , I think Michel Therrien would deserve the Jack Adams award regardless of the team's success in the playoffs. The team hasn't changed much since last year and the big changes that came were the coach's decisions regarding the Gals and Prust.

It's a touchy subject since everytime the habs lose a game tons of #FireTherrien comments start to pop up, any thoughts?
I agree that he should get consideration. Going from 15th to 6th is a pretty big deal. Depending on who the other nominees are though would determine if he deserves to win it more.

disturbedraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
llamateizer

For interested
michel therrien is on TLMEP at radio-canada

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Gary320

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
For interested
michel therrien is on TLMEP at radio-canada
He was asked to summarize players in one word. His answer for Kaberle. "Depth" - Lol.
His answer for Subban "Challenge"

Gary320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:25 PM
llamateizer

Guy A asked Therrien to describe a player with 1-3 words

Price : Maturity
Pacioretty: Power
Eller: (*hesitation).. (Guy A : decieving?) ... Needs coaching(besoin d'encadrement)
Gionta: Leader
Bouillon: Guy with a heart (gars de coeur)
Diaz: Surprise
Desharnais: important player
Gallagher: little warrior
plekanec: intellgent
kaberle: (*little laugh*) ... depth
prust: warrior
subban: challenge
markov: general
galchenyuk: future
gorge: leader
bergevin Righteousness (droiture)
therrien: competitor

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:

OK, but the question is whether Therrien is improving the team or just stopping Martin from killing it. I wonder what team would actually fit Martin's system. No hitting, no offense, collapsing defense... Halak and an AHL team, maybe?

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:38 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
I think this board needs this

This board needs an enema.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:41 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
This board needs an enema.
We'd lose half the posters.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Guy A asked Therrien to describe a player with 1-3 words

Price : Maturity
Pacioretty: Power
Eller: (*hesitation).. (Guy A : decieving?) ... Needs coaching(besoin d'encadrement)
Gionta: Leader
Bouillon: Guy with a heart (gars de coeur)
Diaz: Surprise
Desharnais: important player
Gallagher: little warrior
plekanec: intellgent
kaberle: (*little laugh*) ... depth
prust: warrior
subban: challenge
markov: general
galchenyuk: future
gorge: leader
bergevin Righteousness (droiture)
therrien: competitor
If you're Kaberle how are you supposed to react to hearing that. Eller and Subban's descriptions aren't so great either.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:47 PM
hockeyrules123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
I can`t believe that is the same man.......He is SO much calmer behind the bench now days......I watched him here in Fredericton back in the days when he was throwing things on the ice etc. etc....But he certainly has matured and is a FANTASTIC COACH ! He`s doing a great job playing the right guys at the right time IMO...He`s not afraid to try new players on the PP (love it !)....It`s been a long time since I`ve seen 4 balanced lines in Montreal and he`s a huge reason why. HERE`S TO A FANTASTIC SEASON MICHELE !!
Best coach Habs could have got. Mature, alive behind the bench, great mix between skills and grit. Same great coach from Junior, but will all the tricks now.

It was so simple to get a 4th line....so simple.....

hockeyrules123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:49 PM
hockeyrules123

Quote:

He could easily win the Jack Adams. Because he's Therrien.

hockeyrules123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:54 PM
SouthernHab

Making Jacques Martin look like a bumbling idiot.

Love his aggressive approach to hockey. Hans crashing the net and no letting up with a lead.

I am happy with him coming back.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:13 PM
rockjngo

really happy with boullion this year. what we needed. our transitional game is really good, getting the puck out of our zone.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:17 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
If you're Kaberle how are you supposed to react to hearing that. Eller and Subban's descriptions aren't so great either.
First thought that came to mind as well...Therrien is doing great as a coach but when you get asked to describe players like Kaberle you don't just flat out call someone used to playing top 4 minutes a depth player...you lie and say something else like 'hard worker'. Can't be good for his confidence, knowing your own coach doesn't have enough faith in you to call you a regular.

ottawa* is offline   Reply With Quote