HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

History of Malkin's top 5 dirtiest plays

Old
02-02-2013, 10:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Then care to explain why the OP - with a whooping 23 posts under their belt - started this thread?
Because people with 0 posts are allowed to create threads. Because people with 0 posts are allowed to have opinions. Because people with 0 posts are allowed to participate in the community.

Pick one. If you don't like it, ignore the thread.

Enough of this junk posting. Discuss the topic or don't. You aren't proving any points by attacking one another, but soon you will be earning points. Test me.

02-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Affinity

He is a tremendous player no doubt, just a bit on the dirty side especially when frustrated/hit.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:40 PM
M A K A V E L I*

I wouldn't call Malkin dirty. He's more of a vigilante type player and he usually has a very good reason for doing what he does.

M A K A V E L I* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Syckle78

Guys stars in every sport getting special treatment is nothing new. It has been going on as far as I can remember back(80's or so) and I'm certain it's been going in longer.

It has nothing to do with preferential treatment to a team or city. It is all about keeping their best product on the field of play.
I don't get what the point of these sort of threads are when you start out NY questing the fan base of the player. What do you want? For themto admit their star player is dirty? What's the point?

Syckle78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Personally, I put Malkin in the same class as any other incredibly talented athlete who allows his emotion to take over, which often enough leads to stupid (or dirty) plays. Michael Jordan was the same way, though it's obvious that Malkin is not the Michael Jordan of hockey.

Often enough the most talented players are also the most emotional. They thrive on it. Emotion drives them. It does not excuse dirty plays, and Malkin absolutely should be called on his ****. It doesn't make him a despicable human being. It makes him a typical star athlete. Some dive. Some play to the edge.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Griffin6612

#3 was dirty?!?! Who are you and what happened to your eyes. Malkin isnt in a tampa bay jersey.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 10:56 PM. Reason: what?
Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Syckle78

Absolutely,Third. All star players play with an edge and sometimes lose their cool. Even the classiest of athletes your Yzermans and Sakics lost it from time to time. It happens with that much drive and passion in the heat of battle.

Syckle78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:54 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

I think he should have gotten 3-5 games for that Staal thing. That was seriously nasty.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Sivek

skilled, dirty russian

I like it.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Malkin is nasty in the same sense that Messier was, he's highly competitive and will do anything to win. Mess threw his elbows up liberally and hardly ever faced suspensions as a result. However, one day he's going to have to answer for his actions.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Hitting Staal on the head with his stick was absolutely insane. When you get upset with another player you never hit them with your stick, let alone on the head. The fact that it went unpunished is just even more of a reason to

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
Hitting Staal on the head with his stick was absolutely insane. When you get upset with another player you never hit them with your stick, let alone on the head. The fact that it went unpunished is just even more of a reason to
Yup, Staal didn't get Malkin in the head with his stick.

Both were equally at fault in that sequence.

02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balloonknott View Post
Number 3:
Low bridging Lecavalier.
Malkin ducks under a simple hit then runs away avoiding the fight.
Lecavalier's understandably angry, comes after Malkin chirping in his ear prompting Malkin to jump back and throw an elbow at his head (failing miserably)
Again, no penalty, no post review.

I love how 20 seconds after Keith Jones is telling us all how Vinny is a clean, honest player, he has to slip in the part of him throwing a late punch.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Griffin6612

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I love how 20 seconds after Keith Jones is telling us all how Vinny is a clean, honest player, he has to slip in the part of him throwing a late punch.
I don't really see how any of that is Malkin being dirty. Chippy, yes at the most, but dirty?

Guess we need a top 5 thread of Vinnys dirty plays.

Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:23 PM
MtlPenFan

Where was YouTube during the Gordie Howe days? Jesus, what about just the Messier days?

You know, the guys who have shrines dedicated to them in part for doing exactly the same things?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Long Duk Dong
Sammich King

You guys are crying about this? Staal whacked Malkin, Malkin whacked Staal back. It's hockey, not Chess.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 11:28 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Long Duk Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Malkin was always a sneaky little rat. He's a talented ass sneaky rat though.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Where was YouTube during the Gordie Howe days? Jesus, what about just the Messier days?

You know, the guys who have shrines dedicated to them in part for doing exactly the same things?
Furthering my point that the best of the best tend to be that way due to an extra gear. They step on the ice (or court or field), and all else becomes secondary to winning. Sure they intend to play within the rules. How can you win otherwise? But they are more prone to go overboard when they are provoked. It doesn't make them terrible people. It's just something we will never truly understand because we just don't have it.

Like I said, some dive. Some play on the edge.

Last edited by TMI: 02-02-2013 at 11:40 PM. Reason: completely wrong word
Old
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
LegionOfDoom91

You can always tell when he's going to do something stupid before he actually does it. The guy is the king of taking dumb penalties.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:36 PM
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Furthering my point that the best of the best tend to be that way due to an extra gear. They step on the ice (or court or field), and all else becomes secondary to winning. Sure they intend to play without the rules. How can you win otherwise? But they are more prone to go overboard when they are provoked. It doesn't make them terrible people. It's just something we will never truly understand because we just don't have it.

Its not the best players at all. All players in the league have these plays under there belts. Its just that the stars have all these weird people who stalk them.

useless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheAngryHank
Expert

A Penguin is dirty...

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Yup, Staal didn't get Malkin in the head with his stick.

Both were equally at fault in that sequence.
You're right, slashing on the arm is wrong. Should be a penalty, i agree. They were both going at it and it's going to get heated. Two passionate players wanting to win a game, again, I agree. But you never hit another player on the head with your stick. I'd be way more obliged to agree with you had Staal skated up from behind him and whacked him on the head. But it was on the arm.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Furthering my point that the best of the best tend to be that way due to an extra gear. They step on the ice (or court or field), and all else becomes secondary to winning. Sure they intend to play without the rules. How can you win otherwise? But they are more prone to go overboard when they are provoked. It doesn't make them terrible people. It's just something we will never truly understand because we just don't have it.

Agreed.

Unfortunately, what often gets lost in all this is how much physical, not-legal-but-hey-its-hockey abuse Malkin takes. It doesn't surprise me in the least when he blows a gasket.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:40 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless View Post
Its not the best players at all. All players in the league have these plays under there belts. Its just that the stars have all these weird people who stalk them.
OK, I will agree that all players who are playing their sport at the higher levels are like this.

It just seems to me that highly skilled players are better at being dirty

Old
02-02-2013, 11:44 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Agreed.

Unfortunately, what often gets lost in all this is how much physical, not-legal-but-hey-its-hockey abuse Malkin takes. It doesn't surprise me in the least when he blows a gasket.
It is much easier to take offense to the crap stars take when compared to the crap grinders take. I don't think Malkin takes any more abuse than a player like Tootoo, but the abuse Malkin takes is reviled on another level. Therefore when he retaliates it is accepted much more than when Tootoo retaliates.

It doesn't make it any better for either player to play outside of the rules, though. A broken rule is a broken rule. Regardless of who is being abused or dishing out the abuse.