HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

History of Malkin's top 5 dirtiest plays

Old
02-02-2013, 11:47 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

vCash: 500
Fail post is fail. The hits on Mitchell and lecavalier are neither dirty nor illegal and malkins head crush of sydor, which is by FAR the dirtiest thing he's done isn't on the list.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:50 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Sid dives, cries to the refs, hides behind other players when he is abused. Geno whacks ankles and throws elbows when he's abused. What do you people want? Seriously.

#71 is the best in the game and he plays with an edge. Deal with it.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:54 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Sid dives, cries to the refs, hides behind other players when he is abused. Geno whacks ankles and throws elbows when he's abused. What do you people want? Seriously.

You reap what you sew . I would not surprise me one bit if his career went something like Forsbergs,which isn't bad but I think his nasty streak cut him a few years short with his career.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Art of Sedinery

No way that is number one.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:01 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post

This is an extremely biased point of view, if Ovechkin headshots Malkin is it just Ovy "playing with an edge?" and Pens fans should just "deal with it?"

A cheap play is a cheap play. It does not matter who you are, you should be punished. Unfortunately stars rarely get punished and disgusting plays like the OP posted go unpunished. Malkin is a rat, just a highly skilled one

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 AM
awfulwaffle

Ovechkin leaves the ice to make plenty of hits, which is a standard in suspensions, but because he is a league star, he doesn't get disciplined like other players. It's a joke of a system.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:07 AM
ronnyweed

Malkin isn't even the dirtiest star, OV is if he is still a star

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:12 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Ovechkin leaves the ice to make plenty of hits, which is a standard in suspensions, but because he is a league star, he doesn't get disciplined like other players. It's a joke of a system.
To be fair, it is one of several standards in suspensions. Leaving your feet is charging. Being suspended for a hit may include leaving your feet as a reason.

02-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnyweed View Post
Malkin isn't even the dirtiest star, OV is if he is still a star
Perry is by far the dirtiest star. Malkin is a bit of a spaz too but nothing compared to Perry.

Moore Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:22 AM
redwingsrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Agreed.

Unfortunately, what often gets lost in all this is how much physical, not-legal-but-hey-its-hockey abuse Malkin takes. It doesn't surprise me in the least when he blows a gasket.
To be fair, Holmstrom took a hell of a lot more abuse than Malkin and never really blew his lid, so I don't think that list begins and ends with Malkin.

The only ones I have a problem with are the Simmonds one and the Staal one. I think Giroux was instigating Malkin, so that one to me is a just a battle. Staal got his shots in on Malkin, but suppose he misses the helmet and lands on the underside of his neck? I understand being in the heat of the moment, but there's a difference between battling (him and Giroux), and playing recklessly (the slash on Staal).

Fun player to watch, and really talented, but hard to respect.

redwingsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
To be fair, it is one of several standards in suspensions. Leaving your feet is charging. Being suspended for a hit may include leaving your feet as a reason.
But how many people leave the ice(stop saying leaving their feet, that makes no sense and it's ridiculous it's even apart of conversation when explained in suspension videos), when they make a hit. Not many. Ovechkin does it reguarly, but is continually not punished for it. Stars get a break in this league, and it's a complete joke.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:27 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
It is much easier to take offense to the crap stars take when compared to the crap grinders take. I don't think Malkin takes any more abuse than a player like Tootoo, but the abuse Malkin takes is reviled on another level. Therefore when he retaliates it is accepted much more than when Tootoo retaliates.

It doesn't make it any better for either player to play outside of the rules, though. A broken rule is a broken rule. Regardless of who is being abused or dishing out the abuse.
Disagree wholeheartedly there.

First off, there's a considerable difference in ice time that guys like Malkin get compared to say, a Tootoo. There's a difference between mucking it up for 10 minutes a game instead of 20. Besides, no opposing coach looks at Tootoo and says "You have to target that guy"

Secondly, the abuse a Tootoo gets goes hand in hand with what he gives. Tootoo's entire reason for being is to cause mayhem. He doesn't have a career otherwise, but part of that deal is he's going to receive his fair share.

Guys like Malkin would rather just play hockey and leave the rest of the extracurriculars to others, but unfortunately, he's going to be a target based on his abilities.

The Staal thing is a perfect example. If that's Tanner Glass, Staal doesn't bother. But it's Malkin, the Rangers are being outplayed, so he gets overzealous and and starts hacking away.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:39 AM
Jaded-Fan

* Malkin is a chippy player.

* Star players get away with more, not just Malkin

* Malkin knows this and plays to the line, and sometimes over it. I do not think that any Pens' fan ever said otherwise.

* Overall I like most of the above and any sane fan would hope his star player would do similar without crossing over the line often enough. Most deep down know this. Ovechkin got defended to death at HF by virtually everyone over his 'passion' until his play went down hill.

* Deep down though we complain we love your whines about the Pens and their players. It is flattering.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
You need to be dirty to be a star in the NHL.
However...
- the Simmonds collision made Malkin the first hockey player ever to get accused of elbowing with a tucked elbow.
- The Mitchell and definetely Boychuk hits were side to side.
- Lecavalier is a big crybaby, that accident wasn't anywhere close to be dirty.
- Staal asked for some dirty retaliation for his idiot behaviour.
So most of this episodes are just overwhined.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:40 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

What a bunch of whining.

Yeah, he has made some dirty plays in his career. Him and 500 other players. Where are all those YT compilations?

He's in the spotlight because he is a Hart Trophy winner. Just like Crosby is in the spotlight. Just like Ovechkin is in the spotlight (yeah, even now). Every little crappy or weasely thing they do is magnified by ten thousand and every guy who cheers for the other team is ready to declare him the dirtiest player in the world, the biggest whiner, the biggest diver, etc. based on a few YT videos and their access to a keyboard.

Let's not forget the league-wide conspiracies to make sure that they are never penalized properly for their actions, and that some day...ooooo...some day they are going to pay for all of these indescretions.

Well boo hoo. Get over it. If the players or the league thought they were that bad, they would be dealt with. Truth is, everyone without a hang-up and inferiority issues realizes dirty plays happen to and by just about every player and team in the NHL. Big flippin deal.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:56 AM
Pittsburgh Proud

I think calling Malkin a dirty player is a little excessive. Believe me the guy does some not so nice stuff but to label him as dirty is a little absurd.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:48 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
You're right, slashing on the arm is wrong. Should be a penalty, i agree. They were both going at it and it's going to get heated. Two passionate players wanting to win a game, again, I agree. But you never hit another player on the head with your stick. I'd be way more obliged to agree with you had Staal skated up from behind him and whacked him on the head. But it was on the arm.
No, I got him on the head as well.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Change his name to something like Eric Oliver, put him on one of the Canadian teams, have him lead them to a cup, put him on the Canadian national team, suddenly he's "gritty" and "not afraid to stand up for himself" and "doesn't take any crap", he's a national hero and inspiration to everyone.

Keep him Russian, keep him on the Penguins, he's a menace to the sport.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:25 AM
CatOTails

Oh my! OP is totally right - no Lady Byng for Malkin!

CatOTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Paxton Fettel

his dirtiest play by FAR was the one he got suspended for at the Olympics. anyone remember he hit Lecavalier with the blade of his skate?

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:52 AM
od71

All attention have drawn to the episode is a fate of all best players. All their moves are constantly under closest scrutiny. They have to be angels just not to be criticised, but I don't know them. And certainly not in hockey, one of the most dynamic and power sports.

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:11 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Good to see that the Penguins bashing parade wasn't lost during the lockout. Number 3 and Number 1 aren't dirty at all in their context.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

#3 is not a low bridge. it's perfectly legal (and smart) to get out of the way. vinny is such a fruit.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Malkin definitely plays a bit dirty. Number 3 being on this list is a joke though. Nothing dirty about it at all. As for number 1, if Malkin deserves punishment, so does Staal.

Can we get threads like this for other star players? Somehow I have a feeling Geno isn't the only one with some questionable plays.

Last edited by Ogrezilla: 02-03-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:50 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Malkin definitely plays a bit dirty. Number 3 being on this list is a joke though. Nothing dirty about it at all. As for number 1, if Malkin deserves punishment, so does Staal.
Slashing is a 2 minute penalty. Staal deserved two minutes. Malkin deserved 3-5 games.

Anyway, Malkin is dirty and that's not news. He's never going to get suspended for it, though, so why dwell.

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote