HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Facepalm.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:33 PM
indigoo

vCash: 500
Man, I totally missed a slaughter; a sacrifice to the hockey demi-gods.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:38 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
We've got two of those -- Foligno and Ott.

That's not really an issue, IMO.
Well there has been 7 games and each of them only have 1 goal a piece. IMO they need to start producing more then. Is it them or Lindy? Same thing with the de. I don't know what team I'm going to see when they play. I just wish they would be more consistent in the style of play i guess. This year has started like a roller coaster. I hope it's not like this all year. They will be golfing for the playoffs again if **** don't change soon.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
Offense was a huge problem last season and Regier did nothing over the summer to fix it.
19th last year in goals allowed

15th last year in goals scored

I wouldn't say offense was a HUGE problem last season.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:53 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
Well there has been 7 games and each of them only have 1 goal a piece. IMO they need to start producing more then. Is it them or Lindy? Same thing with the de. I don't know what team I'm going to see when they play. I just wish they would be more consistent in the style of play i guess. This year has started like a roller coaster. I hope it's not like this all year. They will be golfing for the playoffs again if **** don't change soon.
It's not just those two, our 2nd and 3rd lines aren't contributing at all.

Ennis - 5 points, but only two of those came from even strength with his line. he has two powerplay points and one ES point came from a Vanek assist.

Stafford - 3 points, only 2 points from ES line, 0 goals

Foligno - 5 points, only 2 points came from ES with his actual line he played with for the game

Grigorenko - 2 points

Jochen Hecht - 1 point

Steve Ott - 2 points, only 1 with ES line

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Good:
- not much... I guess I'm glad Markov's back after 2 years off, deserves it

Bad:
- Sekera injured
- basically everyone outside of Vanek
- Grigorenko, to me, doesn't look ready. Whine about his ice time all you want, but he looks lost and nervous on the ice pretty much every shift.

Ugly:
- Myers is awful. Absolutely horrible. And honestly, outside of a few hot stretches, he's been more bad than good since the ridiculous rookie year

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I wouldn't say offense was a HUGE problem last season.
I would. For one, mediocrity is a huge problem in my book. Secondly, the offense was absolute crap for the majority of the season and then it got hot in the latter stages. By then, the damage was done.

Now, don't get me wrong - goal prevention was an even bigger problem than goal scoring last year; however, Regier didn't do anything to improve that either. He had a pretty lousy offseason with respect to upgrading the current product. The Roy/Ott trade lost some of its luster when no other moves came after it.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Good: John Scott drawing a penalty hustling after a puck.....Where are all the people saying he was only going to be in the lineup once every 7 to 10 games ?

Bad : Myers, and all the talk and chat about him. - He will play through this, and will be a Norris Trophy candidate sometime, if not this year then in the future....Chill please.

Ugly: The Habs fans singing their Ole chant in the 2nd period.

Last edited by Clock: 02-03-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Come on.
VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:45 PM
Imlach a cup

G
- Vanek
- The entertainment value of this fanbase

B
- Big number 57 Tyre Fyers
- someone said Hodgson doesnt look like an NHLer, possibly because he's a 22 year old in his first top line duty on a team with a solid D+ defense
- someone saying we dont have a number 1 center and acting like it's some kind of revelation, if Hodgson bothers you then you must be about ready to jump givin Grigorenko's play

U
- the chunk of sky that took out my mailbox at around 4:30 this afternoon
- Habs fans, I remember when I used to go to hockey games and enjoy myself, seams like so long ago that I went to a game and expected a win

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 10:58 PM
AlexanderMogilny89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
It's not just those two, our 2nd and 3rd lines aren't contributing at all.

Ennis - 5 points, but only two of those came from even strength with his line. he has two powerplay points and one ES point came from a Vanek assist.

Stafford - 3 points, only 2 points from ES line, 0 goals

Foligno - 5 points, only 2 points came from ES with his actual line he played with for the game

Grigorenko - 2 points

Jochen Hecht - 1 point

Steve Ott - 2 points, only 1 with ES line
I'm disappointed Hecht is still on the team. Also very disappointed in all the guys you stated so far this season.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:11 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Good: John Scott drawing a penalty hustling after a puck.....Where are all the people saying he was only going to be in the lineup every 7 to 10 games ?

Bad : Myers, and all the talk and chat about him. - He will play through this, and will be a Norris Trophy candidat sometime, if not this year then in the future....Chill please.

It seems like we've been hearing this for like three years now.

He's been varying degrees of terrible for long stretches of three of his four NHL seasons and just never seems to be able to put it together.
Some got mad at me a few months ago when I claimed that he just doesn't have the hockey sense to be as good as we thought he'd be, but ask people who watched him in the WHL, it's always been an issue.
He may have the athletic and physical abilities of a star, but he doesn't have the brains of one.
Unless they start awarding the Norris based solely on lofty potential and stop looking at actual results, I don't see him winning one.

That is of course ignoring the fact that the organization is attempting to mold him into the defenseman they want him to be instead of letting him be himself.
I think that will just make him worse.

Last edited by Clock: 02-03-2013 at 07:20 AM.
jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
It seems like we've been hearing this for like three years now.

He's been varying degrees of terrible for long stretches of three of his four NHL seasons and just never seems to be able to put it together.
Some got mad at me a few months ago when I claimed that he just doesn't have the hockey sense to be as good as we thought he'd be, but ask people who watched him in the WHL, it's always been an issue.
He may have the athletic and physical abilities of a star, but he doesn't have the brains of one.
Unless they start awarding the Norris based solely on lofty potential and stop looking at actual results, I don't see him winning one.

That is of course ignoring the fact that the organization is attempting to mold him into the defenseman they want him to be instead of letting him be himself.
I think that will just make him worse.
the primary problem

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:21 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

why dont we just go out and get tallinder back. he was good here and maybe a leopold/Adam for tallinder trade can help tyler.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
why dont we just go out and get tallinder back. he was good here and maybe a leopold/Adam for tallinder trade can help tyler.
because smart teams dont get rid of shut down defensemen for garbage

Old
02-02-2013, 11:28 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

The Ugly: Not understanding the following...

A.) The obvious: Why Leopold and Myers were put together again.

B.) Why Ott threw the gloves down in the 3rd period... that **** shoulda been done in the 1st or midway through the 2nd. Its obvious Lindy isn't going to do jack **** (timeout, show some anger, or swap goalies) time to take the matters into your own hands dude. You're 3rd in the league in hits, thats great, but wtf man start beating the **** out of some people. (Half joking here) Even if its your own guys. Lets go.

C.) Why is it this team continues to throw up serious duds after big wins? This **** happens every ****ing year. Reminded me of the Easter Day game 6 vs Philly. Enzo wins game 5, we can clinch game 6 and we blew ass that entire game. Score wasn't far off but we had absolutely no sense of urgency to close them out. Outshot 15-1 in the first period? How is that even ****ing possible?

D.) Why people can think Lindy isn't a problem. We had the most turnover between last season to this season than we've had in quite a while. The "cancer" Derek Roy was sent packing. Culture change? Absolutely NOT. Still the same team. Going through the motions, hanging their goalie out to dry. New players? Same results. Same deer in the headlights coach on the bench with his arms folded not knowing what to do. You'd think the guy would be able to take charge and show direction, not just watch his team get their ****ing ***** handed to them all over the ice for 59 minutes and 54 seconds of a game. Its his ****in job to calm them down and get them going. Apparently Lindy said he gave Myers some Advice for his Birthday. Really Lindy? What the **** was that? Mine woulda been Happy Birthday kid. Go back to BUffalo until you can get your **** straight. You're getting $11 million this year and your getting out played by EVERYONE in the league.

E.) Where is the sense of urgency from the higher ups? Put some pressure on these guys. Don't just hand them longer contracts to make them feel even more comfortable than they've been the last 15 years. Hockey Heaven my ass. Maybe for the coaches and the ****** players you throw 5-10 million dollar bonuses to. Not the fans who show up in masses to watch your team perform like a bunch of My Little Ponys on ice.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:30 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
because smart teams dont get rid of shut down defensemen for garbage
or let them walk in free agency when they want to come back, but he is 5th in ice time for defensemen, im not sure jerseys needs but maybe gerbe or leopold or adam for him.

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanekTheMvp View Post
or let them walk in free agency when they want to come back, but he is 5th in ice time for defensemen, im not sure jerseys needs but maybe gerbe or leopold or adam for him.
And he's 2nd in QOC playing on there shut down pairing with volchenkov...

they don't want our garbage for their shut down defensemen...

Old
02-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Good:
- not much... I guess I'm glad Markov's back after 2 years off, deserves it
Classy comment and sincerely appreciated. And to return the sentiment, I'm in awe of Vanek and Pomminville. An amazing combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Fair comment. I was at the game and my wife turned to me when the chant started and asked, "Have our fans always been this obnoxious?" I answered, "Montreal fans have always been… intense, but yeah, rubbing it in the other team's face is kinda' obnoxious." I know many fan bases taunt the other team, but Habs fans have turned this spontaneous act into an iconic tradition.

Last edited by Clock: 02-03-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:03 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
G:
Vanek - Has been most dynamic player this year... if he doesn't score 5 points the Sabres are going to lose.
Sulzer - +1... steady as usual
Foligno - he's been pretty good on PK: sprung Vanek on lone goal

B:
Myers almost made me forget how bad Leopold is
Ott's fight

U:
Watching Ruff coach this team...
Can't understand why Myers and Leopold aren't benched

dma0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 AM
NotProkofievian

Habs fan coming in peace:

The Good:

Those buffalo jerseys look amazing. Definitely my second favourite jerseys in the NHL.

...I won't do the bad and the ugly, as that will get me banned.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
Ted Black

G: I have fellow posters that feel what I feel and know exactly why I've felt this way the last 30 years of my life. It just came to me, but it's great to be able to read your guys and gals thoughts and feel comforted even here in Omaha, NE.

I can't get my head wrapped around this team. Is it not true that last year we sucked for the first 3.5 months and then were one of the best teams in the league after that? How do we manage to take out teams like Boston and then not even show up to games like today? Why does it appear like our players have no confidence, have zero breakout ability, and generally can't pass worth anything.

IDK.

We need to get rid of Ruff. I love the idea of him. Former Sabre, been here 15 years. It would be sad to see him go in a way, but it's the only thing I can think of that might turn this teams attitude around. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Sabres locker room. How do these players feel about Ruff?

Myers. How can a guy like him have a rookie year like he did and then suck this often? It has to be his coaching or his confidence or something.

I'm suck of being the underdog every game and worrying about whether we're going to show up.

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:31 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
G: I have fellow posters that feel what I feel and know exactly why I've felt this way the last 30 years of my life. It just came to me, but it's great to be able to read your guys and gals thoughts and feel comforted even here in Omaha, NE.

I can't get my head wrapped around this team. Is it not true that last year we sucked for the first 3.5 months and then were one of the best teams in the league after that? How do we manage to take out teams like Boston and then not even show up to games like today? Why does it appear like our players have no confidence, have zero breakout ability, and generally can't pass worth anything.

IDK.

We need to get rid of Ruff. I love the idea of him. Former Sabre, been here 15 years. It would be sad to see him go in a way, but it's the only thing I can think of that might turn this teams attitude around. I really wish I could be a fly on the wall in the Sabres locker room. How do these players feel about Ruff?

Myers. How can a guy like him have a rookie year like he did and then suck this often? It has to be his coaching or his confidence or something.

I'm suck of being the underdog every game and worrying about whether we're going to show up.
I can't recall a player really every giving Ruff a lot of praise, and the players didn't seem very fond of Lindy's coaching style during their locker room clean out interviews last season. Boyes and Roy were a little more open about it since they both knew they were probably gone.

I remember Paul Hamilton saying players spoke to him behind closed doors about being tired of Lindy and how he handles them in the media as well.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:35 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
I can't recall a player really every giving Ruff a lot of praise, and the players didn't seem very fond of Lindy's coaching style during their locker room clean out interviews last season. Boyes and Roy were a little more open about it since they both knew they were probably gone.
Yep I've never heard a player say anything good about Ruff, just generic things that you say to the media like "oh he's a good coach" but nothing like "playing for him really helped me become a better player... or its fun playing for him" or anything positive really. Boyes interview spoke volumes about how Ruff treats his players.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

I really wish HBO started doing the 24/7 series when we had the Winter Classic. Getting a behind the scenes look at Ruff and the players would be incredible.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:47 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

God, I hate this team right now. Lindy Ruff has turned them into incompetent puppies. Steve Ott will soon be the same. Hell, that fight with Prust could be his last this year.

Also, I'll second that I'm glad Markov is back. He's a fantastic hockey player and makes Montreal soooo much better. Good for him, and good for them.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:53 AM
Ted Black

Quote:
I really wish HBO started doing the 24/7 series when we had the Winter Classic. Getting a behind the scenes look at Ruff and the players would be incredible.

what is it going to take for Pegula to pull the trigger?

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote