HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

They have to be thinking trade

Old
07-02-2006, 08:35 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
They have to be thinking trade

It's obvious that the Flyers aren't going to be active in free agency. The lack of activity and the signing of obvious depth players is indicative of that. However, with some of the assets we currently have, for surely the brain trust has to be thinking that they will have to make some sort of trade to really shore up the blue line.

As well, you've got to believe that with all the money that has been thrown around, the prices of Pitkanen and Gagne just went up substantially. If Ruslan Salei got 12.1 million over four years, then you've got to believe that Pitkanen's asking price just went up to at least 3.5. The only saving grace is that the best free agent forward on the market (Elias) went for 6 million a year and Marc Savard signed for 4 million a year. Those two moves just drove Gagne's worth down. He's not the point scorer that Savard is and he isn't a franchise player like Elias is. So, we might have scored some good luck there.

Damn, I hope they do something soon because there are some serious holes in this lineup. We can say all we want about how competitive this team was last year, but everyone in our conference has made some sort of moves to better themselves. We've done nothing, so I've got to believe that they're going to make a trade to address some of the holes.......hopefully......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:39 PM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
Chris Pronger!

(for the right price, that is)

Deal Gagne which frees up whatever he is asking for (I can't imagine him asking for less than 5 million per season), throw in a young defenseman, and send a 1st round draft pick to Edmonton.

Afterwards, sign two of the following:

(Credit to Lion of the North for providing the list in this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=265774&page=2)

Martin Rucinsky
Oleg Kvasha
Sergei Samsonov
Peter Bondra
Mike Grier
Petr Sykora
Anson Carter

Note: Excluded Guerin and Shanahan due to age and potential asking price.

Last edited by BrindA17: 07-02-2006 at 08:47 PM.
BrindA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:50 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 5393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17 View Post
Chris Pronger!

(for the right price, that is)

Deal Gagne which frees up whatever he is asking for (I can't imagine him asking for less than 5 million per season), throw in a young defenseman, and send a 1st round draft pick to Edmonton.
Any chance that young defenceman could be Pitkanen?

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:54 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I doubt there will be any trades.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 08:59 PM
Jester

i'm not sure i'd be expecting any major trades... given the cap situation and the contracts that are getting signed out there, the major "addition" to the team next year will hopefully be the continued improvement of Pitkanen, Carter, Umberger, and Richards... as well as the addition of whichever rookies make the roster.

people made acquisitions, but are you telling me that Toronto suddenly strikes fear into your heart? Boston?

the main effect of the salary cap is that it is going to flatten the world. prior to the cap we were one of the more talented teams in the league... last year when healthy this was still so. the world is flattening, get used to it. a good trade involving a guy like Handzus for a winger or defender would be nice, but as i said in the other thread i think Clarke should wait until after Forsberg is to do anything major.

i think the plan of operation for this team, at this point, should be to play until Forsberg is in the lineup and then make the necessary moves. that is how the A's operate in MLB... they play for a bit, see what their situation is... and make whatever moves they feel are necessary.

i would also point out that just because we haven't been signing people, it doesn't mean Clarke isn't in on what is going on. we have ALWAYS been active in the past, and state we were trying to be this time around, it isn't as if they lost all the agents numbers. the $$$ figures haven't been right for us against the cap and Clarke has wisely been passing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:08 PM
BrindA17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Any chance that young defenceman could be Pitkanen?
I was thinking more along the lines of Freddy Meyer. No one's getting Pitkanen, let alone Pitkanen AND Gagne.

Old
07-02-2006, 09:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Who do you want them to trade? We all know the only guys on the team worth trading won't get traded unless someone forces Clarke's hand and has to trade Handzus or Esche.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:42 PM
i am dave

I really think that whatever trade happens to land Pronger (for any team, not necessarily the Flyers) is going to have us sitting here, scratching our heads saying, "Really? That's it?! That's all it took to get Chris Pronger??"

The way I see it, Edmonton really only gave up Eric Brewer in the first place, and right now Pronger pretty much has them over a barrell. The Chris Pronger market is a buyer's market.

I'm not at all saying the Flyers are going to land him, let alone make a play, but don't be surprised to see Pronger go for a guy on the level of a Freddy Meyer, maybe a conservative prospect, and a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

But that's just me...

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 09:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Kevin Lowe, I'm sure, is in no hurry to trade Pronger. Pronger is under contract and still has to honor his contract, I don't care what his wife says. I'm sure Lowe wouldn't mind waiting a few years until he gets the deal he wants, if it takes that long

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Dont worry, you'll just pick up the next few that Phoenix signs

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:11 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 5393
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17 View Post
I was thinking more along the lines of Freddy Meyer. No one's getting Pitkanen, let alone Pitkanen AND Gagne.
What if we said "please"?

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:57 AM
BrindA17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
What if we said "please"?
Well, since you asked so nicely, I'm now ready to negotiate.

Old
07-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
When/if all the RFA's are signed i could see Clarke being the first one to throw an offer sheet on some interesting RFA.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
When/if all the RFA's are signed i could see Clarke being the first one to throw an offer sheet on some interesting RFA.
Theres some very interesting players there. If Hatcher gets sent down, perhaps he does a double raid on NJ with Gionta and Gomez.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
Theres some very interesting players there. If Hatcher gets sent down, perhaps he does a double raid on NJ with Gionta and Gomez.
Ouch...

Old
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

people made acquisitions, but are you telling me that Toronto suddenly strikes fear into your heart? Boston?
I agree. There is no team in the Eastern conference that looks a ton better than before. New Jersey will have at most, the same team as last year (which is still pretty good), Ottawa lost Chara, but will still be tops in the conference along with the Canes who lost Weight and will likely lose Aaron Ward. They didn't get any better. The Islanders will be better merely because of the coaching, Atylanta lost Savard, New York got Cullen, so that's decent. Overall, however, I don't see any team in the East being all that much better than last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i think the plan of operation for this team, at this point, should be to play until Forsberg is in the lineup and then make the necessary moves. that is how the A's operate in MLB... they play for a bit, see what their situation is... and make whatever moves they feel are necessary.

the main effect of the salary cap is that it is going to flatten the world. prior to the cap we were one of the more talented teams in the league... last year when healthy this was still so. the world is flattening, get used to it. a good trade involving a guy like Handzus for a winger or defender would be nice, but as i said in the other thread i think Clarke should wait until after Forsberg is to do anything major.
Your view makes the most sense. Like last offseason, everyone wanted to trade Handzus prior to the start of the season which would have been disastrous considering all of the injuries, especially to Primeau. There is no need to trade Handzus now. Teams always need a dependable big center. The demand for him will merely go up when teams have injuries and fail to meet expectations. Keep the team the way it is and make changes during the season, preferable after Forsberg comes back.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North View Post
Ouch...
Well, I know how much enjoyment Clarke gets out of making his rivals weaker.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:27 AM
MojoJojo

As long as Clarke is GM, they are thinking trade.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I agree. There is no team in the Eastern conference that looks a ton better than before. New Jersey will have at most, the same team as last year (which is still pretty good), Ottawa lost Chara, but will still be tops in the conference along with the Canes who lost Weight and will likely lose Aaron Ward. They didn't get any better. The Islanders will be better merely because of the coaching, Atylanta lost Savard, New York got Cullen, so that's decent. Overall, however, I don't see any team in the East being all that much better than last year.

Your view makes the most sense. Like last offseason, everyone wanted to trade Handzus prior to the start of the season which would have been disastrous considering all of the injuries, especially to Primeau. There is no need to trade Handzus now. Teams always need a dependable big center. The demand for him will merely go up when teams have injuries and fail to meet expectations. Keep the team the way it is and make changes during the season, preferable after Forsberg comes back.

New Jersey won't be better than last year, in fact they'll be worse unless Lou can pull some magic. They are at the $39mill now with only 16 people signed and unless TSN.CA's list is out of date, neither Gomez nor Gionta are signed(i'm thinking they may both want raises). NJ will either be the center of several trades this offseason or will have to waive some people to get under the cap.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=253815

Go for it Clarkie!

Old
07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
CapsChemist

If Clarke gets either Gomez or Gionta i will take back everything i have ever said of Clarke.

CapsChemist is offline   Reply With Quote