HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carl Hagelin

Old
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I think he does a tremendous job of setting up other players. he causes turnovers, he gets pucks to where they need to go, and its up to the other players around him to put the pucks in the net. if youre playign with Boyle and Rupp or something, youre not going to get many points that way.
Yup, Hagelin is easily the teams best forechecker. His speed and tenacity creates big problems for defensemen who are trying to move the puck. He's immensely valuable for that alone and it's why he was playing on the 1st line last year.

Quote:
the part i disagree though is that, i think Hagelin is the kinda guy you can put on a top line, and he wouldn't look out of place. Put him with a Richards and Gaborik, and he'll still be an effective player and compliment the 2 skilled guys by doing the dirty work. Kinda like the way Pascal Dupuis floats all over the lineup. He puts up so many points playing with Crosby, but they can also throw him out there on a 3rd or 4th line and he's still productive.

I think Hagelin can be our Dupuis...
Yup, like I said, Hagelin can be that guy who forechecks hard and creates the turnovers that Richards, Gaborik, Nash, etc can benefit from. That's why he can play up with those kind of guys even though he's not a super naturally talented offensive player. In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets another look there at some point this season

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:27 PM
trilobyte

I saw a post where somebody said that Hagelin's goal was weak.
In my view, it was not weak at all. Maybe it wasn't flashy, but it was a guy not giving up on the play.
Not giving up is one of the best things. He went for the net and his quickness and tenacity got the game winning goal.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I saw a post where somebody said that Hagelin's goal was weak.
In my view, it was not weak at all. Maybe it wasn't flashy, but it was a guy not giving up on the play.
Not giving up is one of the best things. He went for the net and his quickness and tenacity got the game winning goal.
It's weak in the fact that if Hank gives up that goal we're all shaking our heads. It's not how you want to get beat. That said, not all goals are pretty, and kudos to Carl for going to the net and converting the chance.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:09 AM
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!

Who the **** cares if someone scores a highlight reel goal, a lucky goal, or a plain ol' sloppy ass goal?

A goal's a goal.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:23 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's weak in the fact that if Hank gives up that goal we're all shaking our heads. It's not how you want to get beat. That said, not all goals are pretty, and kudos to Carl for going to the net and converting the chance.
Sure, I can agree with that. It would be one that Garon may want back, but I have a suspicion that he did not think anyone was touching that puck before he did.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

He played a hell of a game tonight, aside from the goal.

02-03-2013, 12:54 AM
SnowblindNYR

Hags' goal was savable, but I don't think it was weak. It was a nice redirection.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:44 AM
Giacomin

If Hagelin can play like he did the past couple of games and Kreider comes back looking like last year this team will be looking good.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:21 AM
XLJ

He's been really good the last couple of games.

Points wise last season I thought he overachieved a little. I don't think he is going score enough to be a top 6 forward. I think he ends up being a great third line player like a Darren Helm.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickel41 View Post
If Hagelin can play like he did the past couple of games and Kreider comes back looking like last year this team will be looking good.
Sometimes I search my memory to remember how Kreider did look last season...

...and what I come up with isn't always that promising for his future this season. Chasing down loose pucks in the neutralzone is something Kreider can do with the best of them. You don't necessary get that opertunty once every 25th game in the NHL...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:08 AM
Ola

Quote:
Asham, he might be my favorite F/A signing from this past offseason. not much ice time, but i like what i see everytime he jumps on the ice.
I was definitely with you this summer, but I've been dissapointed with him this season. So far he hasn't been much of a factor on the forecheck at all. He has been ways behind what Prust contributed...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Dangleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
Who the **** cares if someone scores a highlight reel goal, a lucky goal, or a plain ol' sloppy ass goal?

A goal's a goal.
Exactly, this isn't NHL 13.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Kid's got amazing speed and acceleration... compare him to Gabby who takes long powerful strides to accelerate, Hags takes quick rapid strides -- wonder who would win fastest skater on the team?

Either way, he's awesome on the forecheck (and backchecking too -- great at pickpocketing). Whether he scores or not, he and Cally can really cause some havoc for the other teams.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

Hags is definitely the type of player who can contribute even without racking up huge point totals, though that would be a major bonus. I don't expect him to ever have great hands but any work he could do in that area would help because he has impressive physical gifts (mainly his skating). My major concern when it comes to him is picking up sloppy penalties. He avoided a call on what was most likely a trip in Tampa (I was there and I think it was in the 1st period but I'm not positive) and he's ended up in the box a few times over the last two years in bad spots. If he can cut out the penalties, chip in when he can, and continue to fly over the ice like he already does, he'll be a very valuable player for years to come.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Dude is coming together. His speeds coming along and his skills are developing. I don't expect him to be a big point scorer but I expect him to have a great physical game and to really open up space for his guys as well as still hopefully be strong on the puck and get some G's and A's

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:18 PM
SlapshotTheMovie

i really dont understand how he doesnt have more assists.

SlapshotTheMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Cresto
In the pantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotTheMovie View Post
i really dont understand how he doesnt have more assists.
cus nobody scores

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 05:10 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
cus nobody scores
Indeed!

I can't check it now because behindthenet.ca is down, but his on ice shooting % was laughably low before the last game, and despite his two points it is likely still unsustainably low. His Corsi has been excellent (by far the best on the team), so basically the Rangers have been outshooting the opposition when he has been on the ice, but everyone (including him) has been snakebitten during that time.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Chimp

Hagelin's usefulness isn't in his point production. It's in keeping the aggression and the hustling going with his ridiculous speed and solid board work. Like you said Blue Blooded, we're outshooting the opponent when Hagelin is on the ice.

Well, it just happens to be so that we have won 100% of the games where we have outshot our opponents, while we have won 20% of the games where we have been outshot.

If Hagelin can help us gain momentum and put the focus of the game in the opposing zone, we have won half the game. Could he have produced more points? Sure. Could he have scored more goals? Sure. Is he still a very useful player to this team, even when he isn't scoring? You bet. The speed dynamics players like him and Kreider brings to this team is hard to measure on paper.

If Pyatt, Stepan and Hagelin can keep hustling and going to the net like they did last game, things will be just fine from here.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Pizza

I listened to the radio feed from the Tampa game doing paper work yesterday. Hagelin's name was mentioned so many times. It was crazy. Had I been playing a drinking game to his name, I would have been passed out by the middle of the second period.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Indeed!

I can't check it now because behindthenet.ca is down, but his on ice shooting % was laughably low before the last game, and despite his two points it is likely still unsustainably low. His Corsi has been excellent (by far the best on the team), so basically the Rangers have been outshooting the opposition when he has been on the ice, but everyone (including him) has been snakebitten during that time.
His Corsi is no longer best on the team, but he is one of only three players with a positive Corsi that has played more than five games: Strålman (+13.25), Nash (+4.21), and Hagelin (+3.80). Gaborik is next with -0.47. Hagelin has played significantly harder minutes than anyone in the top 5 though.

His on ice shooting % is at 4.35, Gaborik has 12.5, Del Zotto has a ridiculous 17.24.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:33 PM
bogans

Quote:
I think Hagelin can be our Dupuis...
Please, don't ever say that again. Not saying you are wrong, in fact its a pretty dead on comparison, but I have such an irrational hatrid for Pascal f'ing Dupuis. Was pissed when they gave up any assets for him even it was a ****** player like Adam Hall, and could not have been happier to see him get traded again 6 games later.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
SnowblindNYR

I have to bump this. Best game of his young career. One of the best performances by any Ranger this season. He had 2 points, felt like 5. I was BLOWN AWAY with his play today. He impressed me as much as Nash did last game. Just total domination every time he was on the ice.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Kershaw

I have more confidence in Hags to create scoring chances than Richards, Gaborik, Callahan and Stepan. Best forward on the team when considering overall play.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 11:26 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Henrik Zetterberg.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote