HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Dumbest thing YOU have done

Old
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

vCash: 50
Dumbest thing YOU have done

What is the dumbest thing that you have ever done? , that is hockey related.

I just want to get off my chest how brain dead i was back when the Jrs. were in Ottawa.

So me and 2 friends were on our way to Ottawa for some New years festivities. We knew someone who lived there. Needs to be noted that both friends were not hockey fans really at all.

So the night we were to get there, USA was playing Kazakhstan - and our other buddy had tickets already. So we decided to go to the game; because tickets would be cheap.

Stopped at a scalper to pick up 3 tickets - proceed to the door. I glance at my tickets and realize "holy hell, he gave us the wrong game - its for the new years game - Canada vs USA." again needs to be noted that we had a table booked at some nice bar in Ottawa for new years - and my two friends weren't helping me with the decision. So i make the walk back to scalper and retrieve the 3 USA vs Kaz game ticks that we were suppose to have.

Long story short, I have nightmares.

Any stories from you fellas?

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

vCash: 500
Watching: Paid $80 apiece for standing room tickets for a Leafs/Habs game at the ACC in 2001. On the upside, I was right at centre ice, and I had the back wall to lean on

Playing: I tore my rotator cuff three months ago and haven't rested it. Because I'm stubborn, that's why.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
SealsFan

The dumbest thing I've done is not going to any NY Raiders/Golden Blades games at the Garden.

No, scratch that. Way dumber - selling off my small collection of rare game-worn WHA and defunct-NHL jerseys...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 11:31 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Watching: I have bad luck with Detroit Red Wings tickets. I am officially three-for-three for buying tickets and having the game ultimately get cancelled. 2007: We decide that instead of going to Game 5 while I'm back in town, we'll risk it and buy tickets for Game 7 between the Ducks and Wings. The series ends in six. Next year, we plan it better and buy tickets to Game 5 between the Avs and Wings. The series ends in four. We hear about the Winter Classic coming to Michigan and we buy tickets for the game. The lockout happens. I very nearly bought tickets for the upcoming Ducks and Wings regular season game in February, but I'm afraid of causing the apocalypse.

Playing: Back when I was in college, I'd play drop-in every once in a while between my league games. Often I would be the only goalie there, so I'd be staring down the ice at a shooter tutor for two hours. After a while, I started shooting on it when the puck was dumped into my zone. I scored in the corners a few times and felt pretty good about myself until I accidentally tagged one of my teammates in the face when I went for a backhand shot.

quoipourquoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:20 PM
RabbinsDuck

During practice our coach would sometimes have us skate drills with our sticks behind our heads, arms stretched and hands on top of each end - sort of crucifix style.

I tripped, could not free my hands in time from my stick and did a perfect face plant on the ice, splitting my chin right open - blood everywhere. We didn't do those drills anymore but I still have a nice scar from it, which I love showing off - 'from my hockey playing days'.

Once during an open skate I tried showing off to a group of cute girls awkwardly skating, so I blew past them a few times at near full speed and thought it would be real impressive if I pulled a quick stop in front of them and snow showered the boards. Skate caught in a groove and ended up going head over heels crashing into the boards. Very studly.

RabbinsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Watching: Letting myself get provoked into a verbal altercation at an away arena. It didn't turn out badly or anything, but it very easily could have.

In my defense, the guy was wearing a Canucks Messier jersey. It was too hard to resist saying something

Playing: trying to pull the puck off the side of the net without slowing down, and spiking myself on the butt-end of my own stick. Or, skating back to retrieve the puck in my defensive zone and misjudging how far I was from the boards, so that I did a big wide turn and ran right into them and turned the puck over good times.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:49 PM
Juicy Couturier*

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Playing: As a 12 year old on a weekend road trip I broke my stick be retaliating and slashing a kid in the leg, later in the same game I broke my backup over the crossbar after a goal was scored. My dad was so mad that he refuse to buy me a new stick until we got home and the only other stick in the car was his. I was well under 5ft tall at the time, he's 5'10. He told my coach not to let me use anyone else's stick and that he was teaching me a lesson.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 03:05 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Separated my shoulder...during pre-game skate.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 04:17 PM
jigglysquishy

I saw Tampa play in Regina for pre-season in 2009. Stamkos was signing autographs and I thought I'd pass cause he'd be a scrub.

J Ebs was at Boston Pizza by me last year and I missed out. My buddy texted me and said Eberle was there. I thought he was referring to another Eberle.

Playing: Quitting when I was 13. I was a terrible player, but it would have been nice to play throughout my teens.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 08:39 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbinsDuck View Post

Once during an open skate I tried showing off to a group of cute girls awkwardly skating, so I blew past them a few times at near full speed and thought it would be real impressive if I pulled a quick stop in front of them and snow showered the boards. Skate caught in a groove and ended up going head over heels crashing into the boards. Very studly.
I've done the exact same thing, same scenario. Wimmen...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 11:28 AM
OrrNumber4

Playing pick-up against Paul Kariya...yes, that Paul Kariya. He's obviously taking it really easy, and just dangles into the zone. I see an opportunity and almost instinctively hipcheck him perfectly into the boards. He doesn't really go down; his balance is too good, but the play completely dies down. Everyone, including my own team, is screaming at me. Selanne is there and he is pissed as well (and don't forget that Selanne isn't a small man).

Kariya is the only one just laughing it off. One of the older guys tells me not to take things so seriously and to show respect. We kind of leave it at that, but I sit the rest of the game (voluntarily). Selanne though was just not happy with me.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:20 AM
TheStroker

vCash: 50
I Ran my fingers through Scott Hartnell's hair while he sat with his family at a restaurant. IT was meant as a friendly gesture, but His wife gave me the stink eye like I was having an affair with her husband.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 12:26 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Paid for NHL GameCenter

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Big Phil

Time will tell, but in the end it may not have been smart to sell off most of my hockey cards. Lots of oldies in there. It's just that since the 1990s the market for sports cards has dropped like a stone. I might invest in Enron before I ever invest in cards again. But if it ever picks up again and makes a comeback I got ripped off that's for sure. I kept a few ones from the 1990s though. Gretzky in a Kings jersey is worth a lot right?....................I am sure they didn't make too many of those.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:10 AM
Merya
Jokerit & Finland

Selling my Gretzky, Kurri, and all team signed jersey to pay one months rent. Should've robbed someone instead.

Merya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Dumb & Evil playing Road Hockey. Had a wicked & deadly accurate slapshot with a tennis ball. To the point that thing would almost be lost from site in flight, and I would occasionally, if someone was being obnoxious, a goalie being an idiot, simply wind up and absolutely nail them right in the nut sack. Drop em like a bag a hammers. Absolutely put me in stitches laughing so hard witnessing these poor saps writhing in pain, crawling home. Pretty sick puppy huh? Couple of em never did have kids, leading me to wonder...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
1973 I was about 16 and called Reggie Fleming some bad things while he was in town with the Chicago Cougars to play the Boston Whalers at the old Boston Arena. Anyway he grabbed the chain link fence separating us from the penalty box. Spit on me and made like he was coming over the top.

I damn near pissed my pants.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:01 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
The dumbest thing I've done is not going to any NY Raiders/Golden Blades games at the Garden.

No, scratch that. Way dumber - selling off my small collection of rare game-worn WHA and defunct-NHL jerseys...
You win.

Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
I had given up on this game and had gone up stairs to my room to mess around with my computer. I just happened to have my radio beside me and decided to turn it on to listen to the rest of the game and then the postgame phone in show for the inevitable whining and moaning. Then this happened:

Like an idiot, I went running down the stairs and, unsurprisingly tripped and fell down the last 4 or 5 steps. Luckily, I wasn't hurt, but it was extremely embarrassing. My parents didn't find it all that impressive, either.

Playing: I played a road hockey game with some local school "friends". One of them did some stupid stuff, including wacking me on the ass at one point. Being about 12 or so, I over reacted and ended up hitting him overtop the head with my stick. All it managed to do was **** him off. Needless to say, I was lucky to get out of there with everything in tact that day.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:08 PM
HockeyPusher

Seeing Gretzky rookie cards at antique shows in the mid-1980s and not buying one because "$20 is too much to pay for a hockey card."

To be fair, $20 was worth a lot more in those days, especially to a kid. But still....

HockeyPusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

My grandfather used to tell me that his biggest mistake was spearing a Mr. Zeidel in the first period of a game. He ended up with a broken face and bunch of other injuries after being chased for two periods by Zeidel.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Ojoisten sonni
mailataikuri

Around 1977-78 Vladyslaw Tretyak was kind enough to give me his stick after they had a practise in Tampere. I was 8-9 years of age and ever since Tretyak was my biggest hero. So when we played street hockey I wanted to be the goalie, and of course I played with the only goalie stick I had. Needless to say after many, many games, the stick got completely broken and I had to throw it away. This is something I have regretted more than anything, that I didnt just keep the stick as a souvenier, instead of using it. I am quite sure it would be worth some money too these days (not that I would sell it).

Ojoisten sonni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
Watching: I have bad luck with Detroit Red Wings tickets. I am officially three-for-three for buying tickets and having the game ultimately get cancelled. 2007: We decide that instead of going to Game 5 while I'm back in town, we'll risk it and buy tickets for Game 7 between the Ducks and Wings. The series ends in six. Next year, we plan it better and buy tickets to Game 5 between the Avs and Wings. The series ends in four. We hear about the Winter Classic coming to Michigan and we buy tickets for the game. The lockout happens. I very nearly bought tickets for the upcoming Ducks and Wings regular season game in February, but I'm afraid of causing the apocalypse.
Same situation for me with the Winter Classic. Pretty crappy.

The stupidest thing I have done relating to actual hockey was choosing not to believe a university rumour. While I was a student, Bobby Orr came to the university for a speaking arrangement and a dinner. They kept things pretty quiet so that he wouldn't get harassed, which was understandable, so no one knew when he was arriving or anything. Anyway, the rumour was that he was going to go for a skate at the campus rink before the big dinner. I had plans of some sort and was convinced that there was no way this was true, so I didn't bother going. This was just basically a free skate for intramural hockey. Later that night I hear about how Bobby Orr showed up and skated with the guys for half an hour. My cousin was playing goaltender and saved a shot from Bobby Orr, which he never fails to remind me of.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
My grandfather used to tell me that his biggest mistake was spearing a Mr. Zeidel in the first period of a game. He ended up with a broken face and bunch of other injuries after being chased for two periods by Zeidel.
Is your grandfather Eddie Shack? No, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merya View Post
Selling my Gretzky, Kurri, and all team signed jersey to pay one months rent. Should've robbed someone instead.
We've all done that. I did it just for the reason that I don't think cards are going to make a comeback in my lifetime. I sold Terry Sawchuk's 1970 memorial card, and I also sold Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy and Yzerman's rookie card sets. All of them. Got a nice return for it in 2005 then too. Gretzky's rookie alone I was given $300 which is nice considering the card shows give you a mere fraction of what it is worth anyway. Maybe it'll come back to bite me, who knows?

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

Motorcycle ride when I was about 21 or 22, 110 mph..... no helmet.

(I don't have any hockey related dumb things...)

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote