HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC 156: Aldo vs Edgar

Old
02-03-2013, 01:03 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
So apparently Bigfoot is leaving the Blackzilians. 3 losses tonight.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
If we get Weidman/Silva and Pettis/Aldo out of this that's pretty cool.
That would be great.

I wonder what they'll do with the HW division. Bigfoot was very impressive but I don't think you can give him a title shot right away after what happened in their last fight. That fight only happened a little while ago and is still fresh in everyone's mind. But he has beat two top guys since so you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Hasn't been with them for a while now. He left as soon as Overeem got there.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
It's a terrible camp. At maximum 1 or 2 fighters have improved during their time there.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:11 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
I had 49-46 for Jose.

Easily won 1 and 2 and I thought he edged him in 3 and 5. Edgar took round 4 for sure. Three was the closest imo.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:14 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Bigfoot is at ATT. Dana is probably into his 3rd bottle of Mylanta since his super fight dream is now dead.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:18 AM
BGDDYKWL

Love the fact that Pettis challenged Aldo. Interesting he'd want that fight more than his shot at 155 (and possibly a Bendo rematch), but I'd love to see it. I've said it before but this is going to be the best way to draw interest in 145 is for top guys from 155 to come down.

No question Aldo very clearly won the fight as a whole, but I had Edgar taking the 4th and 5th, and an argument could be made that he took the 3rd. I'm glad it wasn't controversial though because I'd rather see Aldo-Pettis than an Aldo-Edgar rematch.

Boy Rashad looked terrible. I'm almost wondering if he subconsciously was worried about Anderson, and knowing he'd get him with a win, his performance suffered. That's probably overanalyzing, but that's as bad as he's ever looked. But this probably means we're virtually assured of Weidman-Silva, so I'm fine with it. The Rashad we saw tonight has absolutely nothing for Anderson.

Completely sucks that Overeem lost to Bigfoot. Messes up the HW division, and when the two weren't gassed Overeem clearly got the better of him, so Bigfoot's not really the better fighter. Not to mention I don't see a rematch with Cain going a whole lot differently.

Oh, and I'm watching the post fight show right now, if Chael walks around at 230 then Cormier's about a biscuit shy of three bills.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:19 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I don't know many people who wanted to see Rashad face Anderson anyway.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
Love the fact that Pettis challenged Aldo. Interesting he'd want that fight more than his shot at 155 (and possibly a Bendo rematch), but I'd love to see it. I've said it before but this is going to be the best way to draw interest in 145 is for top guys from 155 to come down.

No question Aldo very clearly won the fight as a whole, but I had Edgar taking the 4th and 5th, and an argument could be made that he took the 3rd. I'm glad it wasn't controversial though because I'd rather see Aldo-Pettis than an Aldo-Edgar rematch.
I'm thinking timing has everything to do with Pettis wanting Aldo. With Bendo/Melendez scheduled for late April, Pettis would have to wait quite a long time before getting a crack at the LW belt. Plus, waiting around hasn't exactly worked wonders for him in the past.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Just watched the Green/Volkmann fight. Nice to see Green pick up the win, especially after the terrible stand up by the incompetent ref. I also don't like Volkmann so seeing him lose was cool.

Was Green actually listening to Rogan's instructions?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Pettis isn't a "big" lightweight so i'm sure the cut wouldn't hurt him. I think eventually you'll see guys like Koch and Porier at 155. They are huge featherweights.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:29 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Just watched the Green/Volkmann fight. Nice to see Green pick up the win, especially after the terrible stand up by the incompetent ref. I also don't like Volkmann so seeing him lose was cool.

Was Green actually listening to Rogan's instructions?
I truly think he was.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:37 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I truly think he was.
Some of the media will probably make a big deal out of it but that's hilarious if Rogan helped him win.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:40 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Some of the media will probably make a big deal out of it but that's hilarious if Rogan helped him win.
He probably is annoyed by Volkmann as everyone else is.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:52 AM
DeathFromAbove

I scored it 3-2 Aldo but wouldn't have been shocked to see it go 3-2 Edgar. 4-1 Aldo is absurd.

Rashad looked terrible. That would have been an easy 30-27 if he had just wrestled his way to victory ala Nog/Bader or Nog/Brilz.

Overeem got cocky and it cost him. At heavyweight you can't be goofing around with your hands down. Even tomato cans like Bigfoot pack power.

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I don't know many people who wanted to see Rashad face Anderson anyway.
The theoretical Rashad at the top of his game vs Anderson fight seemed like it could have been interesting. At this point, I don't think we'll ever see that version of Rashad ever again, though.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The theoretical Rashad at the top of his game vs Anderson fight seemed like it could have been interesting. At this point, I don't think we'll ever see that version of Rashad ever again, though.
Even at the top of his game he wasn't that great. He was the same fighter that he is now, but he was able to hit Chuck with one really good punch and beat a decent champion much the same. His problems are that the level of fighter required to be elite at 205 got a hell of a lot higher and that, while he has all the tools to be the best fighter in the world, he doesn't know how to use them and is incapable of being trained to use them correctly.

His wrestling is elite but he doesn't use it.

His ground game is good enough to seal out fights but he rarely uses it.

His power is great but he's only able to use it in short bursts and his punches are not varied at all. The lead right in particular is heavily telegraphed.

Gas tank isn't there, even though with the shape he's in it should be.

It's like giving all the parts to build a race car to some guy that doesn't know how to put the car together. Somehow he won the title anyway, but the guy was not born to be a fighter. That's very obvious at this point.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:09 AM
DeathFromAbove

It doesn't help that he trains with the Blackzilians now either. Have they even won a fight of any significance?

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:15 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
It doesn't help that he trains with the Blackzilians now either. Have they even won a fight of any significance?
Vitor against Bisping, and I guess Rashad against Davis too, but I'd expect Rashad to win that no matter which camp he was with. That's it.

I've read that they beat the **** out of each other in training so that might have something to do with it.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:19 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Even at the top of his game he wasn't that great. He was the same fighter that he is now, but he was able to hit Chuck with one really good punch and beat a decent champion much the same. His problems are that the level of fighter required to be elite at 205 got a hell of a lot higher and that, while he has all the tools to be the best fighter in the world, he doesn't know how to use them and is incapable of being trained to use them correctly.

His power is great but he's only able to use it in short bursts and his punches are not varied at all. The lead right in particular is heavily telegraphed.

It's like giving all the parts to build a race car to some guy that doesn't know how to put the car together. Somehow he won the title anyway, but the guy was not born to be a fighter. That's very obvious at this point.
You seem to agree that a Rashad at the top of his potential game would lead to at least an interesting fight for Anderson, then. He was on the road to that at one point. Now it seems he's way too far off the path to ever find his way again.

Hope his movie career or whatever he's got works out for him.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:55 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:

Great post. Sums up my view of Rashad perfectly.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:50 AM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Hasn't been with them for a while now. He left as soon as Overeem got there.
Facepalm. This is what you get for posting while playing Counter Strike.

I knew that too and if I was at all paying attention and not just passing on info, I'd have remembered that.

Well he did say that the guys there don't care and are only about money and I gotta say it seems pretty true. The Blackzilians got a lot of hype out of nowhere and haven't really done jack ****.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:43 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:

What a difference one fight makes right? Prior to this fight you look at his resume and you see he's only lost to Machida and Jones, and like you said he has all the tools to seemingly give Anderson a run for his money, but then you see a performance like this and you look back at his record and say to yourself, he decisioned an aging Rampage (who dropped him), he decisioned Thiago Silva (who dropped him) he got the title from the worst champ in recent memory, barely beat Bisping and Bonnar, and so on. If I had to pick out the major problem with him I think it's his chin. He's not able to be aggressive enough with his striking, which would make his wrestling that much more effective, all because he knows (or fears) he can't really take a shot. That's why I was more interested in Weidman getting the shot. If Rashad was this worried about engaging Lil Nog can you imagine how tentative he would've been against Anderson? You have NO chance of beating Anderson if you're tentative.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:35 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
If we get Weidman/Silva and Pettis/Aldo out of this that's pretty cool.
This^

Although I would miss another Pettis/Henderson fight.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:43 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Had to turn the sound off for this card.

Rogan and Goldberg are too hard to take anymore.

Please replace them both UFC.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:06 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Had to turn the sound off for this card.

Rogan and Goldberg are too hard to take anymore.

Please replace them both UFC.
Quadros! Quadros! Quadros!

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote