HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#8 Predators @ Sharks 7:30 pm

Old
02-03-2013, 01:25 AM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I wouldn't consider him a top-6 though. He hasn't been playing like one yet.
If that's how you're gonna judge it then virtually every team only has 3 or 4 players in their top 6 at best.

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:37 AM
SharksFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ SF4L View Post
Just got back from HP. Here's my thoughts:

-Murray is literally a human ball and chain. Everyone he plays with is literally tied down to him. The penalties he took were not good. His best play of the night was the block in OT. Basically, Irwin should play over him next game.
-McLellan needs to stop juggling the lines every 5 seconds. No one is building any chemistry because of this. Gomez & Havlat should have been playing with Couture, and yet they were stuck with Handzus most of the time, who killed most their opportunities. Letting lines stay relatively stable would seriously help out the team.
-Sheppard and Galiardi had unspectacular, solid games.
-Demers, when not with Murray, looked pretty good. Rusty from sitting for a while, but good nonetheless.
-Niemi is basically the reason for picking up the point.
-Clowe continues to disappoint. He makes poor decisions and is barely faster than Murray and Zus. He needs to either drop a line or be moved for someone who better fits Couture/Havlat.
-PK continues to be exceptional. PP has cooled off way too much.

Overall, I'm just happy to be 7-0-1 at this point. Could be much worse.
Completely agree about the line juggling. I hope he is just doing this early in the season to try and figure out who should play with who, but know TMac he will still be doing it come playoffs. I did not like the line combos tonight.

SharksFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Inub0i
For the Alliance!

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Welp. Totally missed the game and found out we lost in an SO. Anything of note?

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:08 AM
drunksage
#88: The Savior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Welp. Totally missed the game and found out we lost in an SO. Anything of note?
Never miss a game ever again.

drunksage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:11 AM
WTFetus
Most popular combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
If that's how you're gonna judge it then virtually every team only has 3 or 4 players in their top 6 at best.
How would you judge it? Gomez hasn't done anything yet to consider him a Top-6 player (I'm using Top-6 as a definer of skill, not what line you play on). And he hasn't done anything in the recent past seasons to consider him one either.
And how is it 3-4 at best? Sharks have 6 if/when Clowe is on his game. St. Louis have a ton in Tarasenko, Oshie, McDonald, Backes, Perron, and Berglund/Steen. TB has 5, Boston has 6. And those are just off the top of my head.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:41 AM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
That's actually an interesting argument to make with the expansion to 30 teams over the last few years. Only so many top NHL caliber players can make the NHL. Take any amount of teams and add a few more and the talent pool thins out a bit. I could be wrong but a top 6 in today's NHL is probably different than a top 6 15 years ago.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:44 AM
Eid Ma Clack Shaw

Send a message via AIM to Eid Ma Clack Shaw
I also didn't see tonight's game, but any reaction to a loss here (or win) would be an overreaction. The Sharks are still 7-0-1. Things will probably get tougher from here on out but it's not like they are icing the Leafs or some ****.

Eid Ma Clack Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:00 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1004
Holy BALLS, I just took a look at the boxscore and FREAKIN' MICHAL HANDZUS WAS THIRD OVERALL IN EVEN STRENGTH ICE TIME LAST GAME. THERE IS LITERALLY NO ****ING REASON THAT SHOULD HAPPEN.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:07 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Holy BALLS, I just took a look at the boxscore and FREAKIN' MICHAL HANDZUS WAS THIRD OVERALL IN EVEN STRENGTH ICE TIME LAST GAME. THERE IS LITERALLY NO ****ING REASON THAT SHOULD HAPPEN.
Really right? He even had a few head-scratching o-zone faceoffs when I thought they clearly should have brought out the big line.

I kind of wonder if faceoffs had anything to do with it, the Joes got kind of worked tonight, both under 50% and even Handzus was only an even 50%. The offensive zone faceoffs were dismal. That really kept possession away from them a lot.

In general I feel like the team could lean on its big horses a lot more than it has. I'm not sure what the plan is, maybe they are looking longer-term. But you'd have to think that if they got those guys the minutes their skill level warrants, they would have a better chance of breaking through in games like this. Maybe they feel like they are playing with house money at this point and being sure not to expose the big three to unnecessary risk?

Last edited by Phu: 02-03-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Really right? He even had a few head-scratching o-zone faceoffs when I thought they clearly should have brought out the big line.

I kind of wonder if faceoffs had anything to do with it, the Joes got kind of worked tonight, both under 50% and even Handzus was only an even 50%. The offensive zone faceoffs were dismal. That really kept possession away from them a lot.

In general I feel like the team could lean on its big horses a lot more than it has. I'm not sure what the plan is, maybe they are looking longer-term. But you'd have to think that if they got those guys the minutes their skill level warrants, they would have a better chance of breaking through in games like this. Maybe they feel like they are playing with house money at this point and being sure not to expose the big three to unnecessary risk?
I'm gonna say...the flu has been spreading around and they're all kinda sick. That's the explanation I'm going with

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:16 AM
do0glas

I don't think Zeus has been bad, he's actually generating chances for his line with his board play, and I like his defensive play. Oh, and he's faster than clowe.

Burish, albeit overpaid, is a fourth liner. He's good on the PK, and he causes problems for the other team defensively, basically, he does the 4th line gig well. He's also gotten chances on net as well. As far as the agitation play goes, not sure why that hasn't really happened, but it is just 8 games.

The last thing we want is to be overplaying our top 6.

The line juggling was meh, and I think sheppard while good should either replace clowe or go to the third line.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:49 AM
sjshark91

San Jose lost a game?

Blow it up and demo HP to the ground.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Can HaZ Trainz
Frightened Inmate #2

Missed this game. Not surprised for the loss, also not discouraged by the loss. What I am worried about is what I'm reading here about T-mac juggling lines already. I think it's a little early for line juggling, I mean the Sharks were on a 7 game streak..didn't seem like they were doing that bad recently. Then again I didn't see any of the game.

Can HaZ Trainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
I wouldn't consider him a top-6 though. He hasn't been playing like one yet.
I agree. Just poking at the bottom-6 being so inept at getting on the board.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can HaZ Trainz View Post
Missed this game. Not surprised for the loss, also not discouraged by the loss. What I am worried about is what I'm reading here about T-mac juggling lines already. I think it's a little early for line juggling, I mean the Sharks were on a 7 game streak..didn't seem like they were doing that bad recently. Then again I didn't see any of the game.
The 5th and 6th games were relatively bad, we did not sustain any sort of pressure and looked to be out-played for the most part.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can HaZ Trainz View Post
the drop in production from the 1st line, to the 2nd line, and then the 3rd and 4th lines is absolutely disturbing.

1st line - 40 combined points in 8 games
2nd line- 19 combined points in 8 games (10 of these come from couture alone)
3rd and 4th lines - 5 points combined in 8 games.

other then pavs, marleau, thornton and couture nobody is really producing like they should be.

2/3 of are 2nd line is mia, are entire 3rd and 4th lines are mia.

nobody can expect the sharks to keep winning if only 4 players are producing on the entire team.

that is why the line shuffling is happening so early.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:43 PM
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser

The line juggling is necessary at this point. The top line/PP scoring 4 PPG was covering up some ugly things in our bottom 9. The first few games those 2 lines just had to stop the opposing team, so we thought nothing of it. At this point I go with the same top line, but

Shep-Couture-Havlat
Clowe-Gomez-Anyone that can do something positive
Remaining players

Our defense is back or close to back, although 13 points in 8 games is not ideal either. It may be time to package a bottom 6 forward and Irwin/Murray(Maybe Braun/Demers for the right player) or draft picks to upgrade. Washington has a couple I'd love to get, and they've started off terribly. Chimera would be ideal.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

Blame me for the loss since i went to the game =[

Channing Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Channing Tatum
Step Up: On Ice

But i blame the drunk guy in 225 who eventually got kicked out. I think his gf was pissed haha

Channing Tatum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Kitten Mittons

Told you we were gonna lose.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:58 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Uh clearly because he's one of our best players.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote