HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Games you are currently playing The Third

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 01:27 AM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 175
Warning, story-time ahead.

I bought Crusader Kings 2 during the summer for cheap, but after about 5 hours of faffing about and confronted with the rather intimidating learning curve, I set it aside until now. Once I watched several youtube playthroughs to get an idea of what to do and how to do it, I got hooked on it and now I've added like 15 hours in the past 4 days. It's way more satisfying to "win" than in most other strategy games like Civilization or Total War. It takes a lot of careful diplomacy and a few missteps can sink you quickly.

It's really cool that you can basically pick any date and any noble and just start. I started off easy as a count in Ireland and managed to unite the island under my rule within about 50 years. After that I risked waiting for 12 years so I could change my inheritance laws from gavelkind (all 8 of my kids inherit my estates evenly--a nightmare when you can only play 1!) to elector. Had I been killed off during that point (like his predecessor did after a single year), I'd have had to start basically from scratch.

I finally got my vassals to stop fighting, changed the inheritance law, and celebrated by joining the 2nd Crusade for Jerusalem with all of my men. I conquered one county all by myself, but then my fellow crusaders left me exposed and my army got crushed by a flank attack while I was besieging Jerusalem itself. Immediately my lackwit son decides to rebel because I had the temerity to nominate my genius sister (who happens to be matrilinearly married to the heir of the Kingdom of Denmark, meaning her children can inherit the Kingdom) instead of him. I pack up what remains of my army to scramble back home while hiring some mercenaries with what remains of my coin (crusading is expensive) to hold off my son.

Just as I land in Ireland, I'm notified that we won the Crusade and Jerusalem is ours, by which I mean it's mine. All mine. As in, I just tripled my entire holdings out of the blue. In the process, my joke ambition of achieving 500 piety (I had something like 46 and was gaining at a rate of about 1 per month, so I only had to live to the age of 81) instantly succeeded because I gained 4000 piety for the successful crusade, so now I'm known as Falbrecht (?) the Holy. I have no clue where to go from here, but oh sweet success.

TL;DR In the span of 80 years I went from the lowest nobility you can start as and now I own the kingdoms of Ireland, Wales, and Jerusalem. Not ****ing bad for a newbie.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Bowie
Rusholme Ruffians

vCash: 500
Finally got my n64 back from a friend and have been playing Paper Mario.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:00 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post

I bought Crusader Kings 2 during the summer for cheap, but after about 5 hours of faffing about and confronted with the rather intimidating learning curve, I set it aside until now. Once I watched several youtube playthroughs to get an idea of what to do and how to do it, I got hooked on it and now I've added like 15 hours in the past 4 days. It's way more satisfying to "win" than in most other strategy games like Civilization or Total War. It takes a lot of careful diplomacy and a few missteps can sink you quickly.

It's really cool that you can basically pick any date and any noble and just start. I started off easy as a count in Ireland and managed to unite the island under my rule within about 50 years. After that I risked waiting for 12 years so I could change my inheritance laws from gavelkind (all 8 of my kids inherit my estates evenly--a nightmare when you can only play 1!) to elector. Had I been killed off during that point (like his predecessor did after a single year), I'd have had to start basically from scratch.

I finally got my vassals to stop fighting, changed the inheritance law, and celebrated by joining the 2nd Crusade for Jerusalem with all of my men. I conquered one county all by myself, but then my fellow crusaders left me exposed and my army got crushed by a flank attack while I was besieging Jerusalem itself. Immediately my lackwit son decides to rebel because I had the temerity to nominate my genius sister (who happens to be matrilinearly married to the heir of the Kingdom of Denmark, meaning her children can inherit the Kingdom) instead of him. I pack up what remains of my army to scramble back home while hiring some mercenaries with what remains of my coin (crusading is expensive) to hold off my son.

Just as I land in Ireland, I'm notified that we won the Crusade and Jerusalem is ours, by which I mean it's mine. All mine. As in, I just tripled my entire holdings out of the blue. In the process, my joke ambition of achieving 500 piety (I had something like 46 and was gaining at a rate of about 1 per month, so I only had to live to the age of 81) instantly succeeded because I gained 4000 piety for the successful crusade, so now I'm known as Falbrecht (?) the Holy. I have no clue where to go from here, but oh sweet success.

TL;DR In the span of 80 years I went from the lowest nobility you can start as and now I own the kingdoms of Ireland, Wales, and Jerusalem. Not ****ing bad for a newbie.
Got CK2 but haven't had time yet. There's supposed to be a very good Game of Thrones mod for it too.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:51 PM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
Fire Emblem is amazing. Had almost forgotten I had a 3DS.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zih View Post

I had a similar experience, but I was a minor noble in Scotland and used careful marriage/assassins to take the crown. I celebrated by taking part in a crusade on present day Spain. Won the crusade and suddenly had a massive headache trying to quell the restless natives. Crusades get you a lot of land if you win, but I'd imagine unless you're a large nation it's pretty difficult to hold on, and Spain isn't nearly as far for your main force as Jerusalem will be.

Good luck!

Old
02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

Dead Island
GTA 4
Red Dead Redemption
SSX

Old
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
BeBen*

Started Sleeping Dogs, looks great in Eyefinity but the combat is really getting me out of it

Jesus christ i cannot even start to believe they ever compared it to Batman's combat

What an unresponsive mess

Old
02-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

inFamous 2

I loved the first one, not sure what the hell they did here. Just want to finish it and never see it again.

Old
02-04-2013, 04:11 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Mass Effect 2

Old
02-05-2013, 07:34 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Ni No Kuni - Got the boat
Forza Horizon - Beat Darius, finishing up races and other assorted things

Old
02-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

L.a. Noire. Absolute must play. Don't know how I went this long without it

Old
02-07-2013, 05:47 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Playing through The Legend of Zelda on the NES.. Just passed made it through the 6th Dungeon.. I cant remember anything lol.

Still a really good game after all these years.. soon 30 years old :O

Old
02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Zeroknowledge*

Been playing CK2 on and off for months, what an awesome game, not the easiest learning curve but once you get it it's very very fun.

Old
02-10-2013, 08:53 AM
BeBen*

Paper Mario Sticker Star

So disappointed...there's no companions, no leveling, combat is fun with all those stickers but most aren't even used

There's literally no incentive to fight regular mobs scattered around the levels because they only give coins and sometimes stickers that you can find regularly through out the levels anyway

I'm at World 2 and i already have more than a thousand coins with what i consider the best stickers cost 3 coins in the shop

Basically they took some really dumb decisions in moving the franchise forwards

South Park Stick of Truth looks to be heavily influenced by the earlier Paper Mario, should give me the fix i was trying to get from Sticker Star

Old
02-11-2013, 03:28 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Just finished Hitman Absolution. I really, really enjoyed the game. Definitely a real challenge to do everything perfectly.

Old
02-11-2013, 03:38 PM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

Will be starting Mass Effect 3 again and will not let the crap ending ruin the game for me

Old
02-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Usually just go one game at a time but been steady flipping through:

Assassins Creed Liberation (Vita) - horrible
Tiger Woods 13
inFamous 2
the Walking Dead

Old
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Been playing a lot of War Thunder, as well as the usual World of Tanks.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Shepard

Been playing quite a bit of Fire Emblem Awakening. Intelligent Systems absolutely nailed it.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Lego Lord of the Rings. I wish they didn't have the voices in the game. The non voice aspect of Lego games made them good. It added more humor and didn't take the story to seriously.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

I just picked up the first Dead Space game the other day on a whim, and I'm pretty impressed so far. Anyone else play this franchise?

Old
02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Will be starting Mass Effect 3 again and will not let the crap ending ruin the game for me
I really enjoyed it up until you get on board. I'm keeping that as ambiguous as I can because some might not have played it. The story until then was great and it just suddenly fell apart.

I'm going to play it again from ME1 one of these days.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

sigh.... still cant stop playing Football Manager. Just works out perfect for family life and no need to be on 'red alert' at all times.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:13 AM
Vamos Rafa
Ban ADT

Excited to play this! MGS2 was the last MGS I played, but it's gonna be fun playing it again. I've missed out so much on this franchise because I've never owned a Ps3 (all of their games were all on Sony in the 7th gen era). What other games am I missing here (besides MGS1)?

Old
02-15-2013, 04:59 AM
blue425

You haven't played Snake Eater?

You sir are in for a TREAT, best of the series.

In my opinion of course..

Still playing Ikaruga. I am starting to A+ stage 3 somewhat consistently. Another 2-4 weeks..

Closed Thread