Old
02-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post

Best post I've seen in a long time.

Don't see why any coach wouldn't come here. We have a new owner with deep pockets and Texas women. We win.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:06 AM
FrailSwan
ExplodeForEkblad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Best post I've seen in a long time.

Don't see why any coach wouldn't come here. We have a new owner with deep pockets and Texas women. We win.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:41 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

I think motivation as a whole is an overrated skill for a coach to have. I mean sure you don't want him handing out cupcakes between periods of blowout losses, but I'm dubious that the solution to this team is for Gulutzan to shout louder and use more swear words.

His main problem has always seemed to be that his system for offense and transition is ****ing awful. ECHL calibur. He seems to be trying. The no-look drop passes are a new phenomenon this season it seems, but they've led to turnovers more often than scoring chances. Whatever breakout schemes he concocts are always predicted and defended. His o-zone entries aren't bad, I'll give him that, at least better than Tippett's. Once they're in, it just goes to ****. Area passes go to no one, cyclers run into each other, safety outlets stand still when they should be getting open. How often have we seen players sweep around along the boards behind the net only to come out the opposite side and drop it off to a defenseman? Too often. The other four players on the ice need to be moving in a manner that pulls defensemen one way or another and opens up passing lanes. Gully needs to recognize the opposing scheme and tell his players where to go and what to do. It's not their job to watch for that.

The Stars look the same every night. It doesn't matter what kind of system they're playing against, what the strengths and weaknesses of the other team are, he sends the players out with the exact same game plan every night. And that game plan is horrible. It doesn't work. This team is not talented enough to generate the offense they need on their own. The system has ease the burden. If that means loosening up defensively, then so be it. Gulutzan is a very talented defensive coach. He should be confident in his ability to fine tune an offensive system to still keep the puck out of his own net. ****, if they're so good on the PK, just keep a forward cherry picking at the opposing blue line all game, for all I care. Obviously it's not the best solution, but it could potentially be an improvement. A counterattack offense would suit these team superbly. The Coyotes specifically have a fairly slow D core (OEL excluded). Why was this not taken advantage of? Instead they take their time, try to skate through all five defenders, and dump it in on Mike Smith? Are you ****ing kidding me?

I really believe Gulutzan could become a very good coach, but he needs a mentor. He still knows way more about what he's doing than I would, obviously, but I do believe I can recognize when a coach isn't a very good fit in the NHL.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:40 AM
beardedgraf

You'd think that at some point the players would be able to muster at least one goal. Gully was outcoached against phx and he is not going to be our coach of we ever reach success again. But to blame gulutzan for those horrible drop passes is dumb

Old
02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
With the 2nd overall pick, we are proud to select...

Scott Glennie again!
I'm hoping they draft either Glenn Scottie or Leon Sandcastle.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:19 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady12 View Post
I'm hoping they draft either Glenn Scottie or Leon Sandcastle.

Old
02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Teach Leon to skate and he'd be incredible. Skating isn't that hard. If you can run a 4.2 40 skating ain't no thang. I myself am a badass at skating at full speed until the boards stop me.

Old
02-05-2013, 04:16 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
I think motivation as a whole is an overrated skill for a coach to have. I mean sure you don't want him handing out cupcakes between periods of blowout losses, but I'm dubious that the solution to this team is for Gulutzan to shout louder and use more swear words.
I would say that is your problem right there. Leadership and motivation has little to do with that in my opinion (unless your tortorella). Anger IS a focusing energy however and has its place, if used sparingly. Constant shouting makes the audience deaf.

Motivation and leadership at the pro-level is based more on respect and coherence, experience and gravitas in my opinion than shouting and stomping of feet. Sometimes you have to turn up the juice and sometimes you have to calm the ship. When I say motivation, I mean leadership. I mean charisma and personality to get across what he desires and have them respond. I am just not sure if Gully has that. Maybe he does, no way for us to know.

But when the big games hit and the other team is amped and we look like it's just another night, that to me is coaching. A team requires a captain to steer it, guide it. Part of that is getting focused, as a unit. And I haven't seen this team respond that way yet.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Starsdude

Just moving it up in anticipation of tonight's self-inflicted disaster in waiting-no one would bench Big Rig for Rome -Nobody--Ever

In all seriousness, Newy is a HOFer and multiple cup winner and his 2 coaching hires have been Crawford and Gully and seemingly passing on Torts Hitch and Lavs-I would love to know what the f he is thinking

Last edited by Starsdude: 02-12-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Just moving it up in anticipation of tonight's self-inflicted disaster in waiting-no one would bench Big Rig for Rome -Nobody--Ever
We'll see. I've softened a bit myself, and I think my Facebook page for this specific subject reflects that.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
He isn't benching Oleksiak for Rome.

Old
02-15-2013, 01:47 AM
beardedgraf

Not saying I am for firing anybody right now but I was just wondering what some people thought. Who would be the best coach for the Stars right now? Might as well ask the same thing about GM.

Old
02-15-2013, 09:42 AM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedgraf View Post
Not saying I am for firing anybody right now but I was just wondering what some people thought. Who would be the best coach for the Stars right now? Might as well ask the same thing about GM.
Personally ... I still think Willie Desjardins is going to be a NHL coach very soon. What he's done this year in Texas shows just how terrible the coaches were last year. You have to admit that he's got a bit more talent, but that team is playing lights out, even after they were decimated by the NHL starting back up.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:14 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I think this team needs a hard-ass high-accountability coach if Gulutzan fails. I don't really know who in the market would fit this mold and be a realistic choice, however.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Cin
Buck Fettman.

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedgraf View Post
Tortorella.

GM? That's a good question.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Lindy Ruff is a free agent.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Lindy Ruff is a free agent.
Hell no. What's he ever won? He's Tippet 2.0, except Dave had a better record of getting his team into the playoffs.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Hell no. What's he ever won? He's Tippet 2.0, except Dave had a better record of getting his team into the playoffs.
I'm not advocating getting the guy. I was just pointing out he's now available, and most people consider him a top quality coach.

Regarding what has he won, isn't there some stat that no Stanley Cup winning coach has ever left his team and gone on to win another Cup with a new team ... or am I getting that confused with the NFL and the Super Bowl.

Old
02-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Ambassador Of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I'm not advocating getting the guy. I was just pointing out he's now available, and most people consider him a top quality coach.

Regarding what has he won, isn't there some stat that no Stanley Cup winning coach has ever left his team and gone on to win another Cup with a new team ... or am I getting that confused with the NFL and the Super Bowl.
Scotty Bowman says hello.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:04 PM
BigG44
HFB Partner

Oh yeah ... Derek Roy ... not a big Ruff fan.

Old
02-20-2013, 03:18 PM
Satan
Degausser

vCash: 50
Derek Roy vs Lindy Ruff Round 2 would be bad.

02-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 185
Hey, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

He'd be an upgrade on Gully, that's for sure.

02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Not that it would happen but I'd bet Ruff is a deal breaker for Roy in terms of re-signing here. So unless some amazing intervention happens I think we can safely count him out.

Old
02-20-2013, 09:04 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Pass.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:00 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
So yeah...