HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSwitch View Post
okey, so according to expressen newspaper both Jesper Fasth and Oscar Lindberg will be leaving SEL for NHL/AHL, so don't mind the Hockeyligan post earlier.

"He will be heading over to the fall camp to try to get a spot in NHL, that's the case, says Fasths agent Jacob Hedin."
http://www.expressen.se/sport/hockey...ler-fattigare/

Some quote from Hedberg from that article, curtesy to google translate since I am in a hurry...

Quote:
The fresh Tre Kronor duo Jesper Fasth, HV 71, and Oscar Lindberg, Skellefteć AIK, disappears from the top division after this season.

When they are ready to take a place in the NHL team New York Rangers.

- They have been in good environments, ie HV 71 and Skellefteć, says Rangers scout Anders Hedberg to SportExpressen.se.

Therefore, the New York Rangers scout Anders Hedberg expects both Fasth and Lindberg to have a good chance to find a place in the NHL this fall.

- It would be ideal to play the World Cup first and it's not far-fetched given how Jesper plays this season. But then the idea is that he will over to the fall. It's time for him to go to New York, says Anders Hedberg on Jesper Fasth.

- He is close enough. If he takes a spot in the Rangers know neither he, or yes, or anyone else. But he is so close to the NHL that he can feel it.

- Oscar has received a huge boost in his development this season, says Anders Hedberg on Oscar Lindberg.
Hedberg is seemingly a bit more cautious on Lindberg than Fast and I think that is wise. Lindberg is in the middle of a team with 20+ skaters (!) (of which most are homegrown and very young) who are just roaring this season and overwhelm teams with speed and a puckpossession game that is a beauty to watch. Lindberg is not the best skates, and while he definitely has developed his offensive game this season he is not that gifted offensively. I've learned to be catious with expectations on any player in Europe who isn't a star on the national team scene. Some kids outside that group transform seemingly without any problem to the NA game and steps right into the NHL and look great, and you wonder what quality bottom lines in the NHL really have, and other struggle tremendously just to be decent in the AHL. Oscar Lindberg is a strong hockey player, no doubt. But with the speedsters/dynamos that comes over from Europe you know for sure that like no matter what, they can always fall back on their speed and contribute. I am a little more cautious on Lindberg, who in reality has to fall back on his smarts and clutch 2-way game to start with. At the same time, I wouldn't rule out him having a big impact on the other side of the spectrum.

BTW, it was a intern (litterary) who did the inteview for Hockeyligan. I feel a little sad for him if he is to blame for the correction that showed up just hrs later in Expressen, but I also want to point out that the questions about "Fasth's success" this season might be a bit misleading. Stat-wise his start last season before he broke his leg was much better than this season...

Last edited by Ola: 01-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old
01-29-2013, 11:38 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

I'm thinking Torts will love Fasth. I remember watching him in the WJC he is tenacious on the forecheck. Haven't seen Lindberg play but hoping he can become Boyle's replacement as 3rd line C.

Old
01-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
My source says he will be over for camp. If they like what they see, he will probably be assigned to Hartford. If not (maturity, strength) they might send him back on a loan to Sweden for another year. Most likely CT imo...

I see almost no chance that he would get sent back to Sweden. He is a first liner in the SEL, a league (somewhat) superior to the AHL. He should be an instant top-6 player in Hartford. I dont see how Thomas or Segal are superior players. Segal may not even be around.

C: Noob, Lindberg, Jean, Wiebe
LW: Hrivik/Ferriero, Miller, Yogan/Wilson
RW: Fasth, Thomas, St. Croix, Bourque

LD: Parlett, Klassen, Vernace
RD: McIlrath, Pyett, Noreau.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:44 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
1 A for Fasth tonight.

Old
01-29-2013, 02:45 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Fasth had a primary assist and was +1. Lindberg was scoreless. Andersson made his debut for Malmo and was scoreless. Played on the second pairing.

It's just pain.
Old
01-29-2013, 03:50 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I see almost no chance that he would get sent back to Sweden. He is a first liner in the SEL, a league (somewhat) superior to the AHL. He should be an instant top-6 player in Hartford. I dont see how Thomas or Segal are superior players. Segal may not even be around.

C: Noob, Lindberg, Jean, Wiebe
LW: Hrivik/Ferriero, Miller, Yogan/Wilson
RW: Fasth, Thomas, St. Croix, Bourque

LD: Parlett, Klassen, Vernace
RD: McIlrath, Pyett, Noreau.
I think that there will be a NYR center spot available - ie Halpern. Miller & Lindberg will fight for this. Fast is the bigger talent but will get get a softer start. Do not ask --- but source is pretty close to this thread...

Old
01-29-2013, 03:51 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Fasth had a primary assist and was +1. Lindberg was scoreless. Andersson made his debut for Malmo and was scoreless. Played on the second pairing.
Micke Nylander had a helluva game in SSK 2nite. His son William is soon ready to go. Top 3 NHL draft pick???

Old
02-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Watching the Michigan vs Michigan State game on BTN. Nieves looks solid had an assist on the Wolverines first goal. DiGiuseppe created a turnover and fed Boo in the high slot. He held the puck just long enough to freeze the defensemen and the goalie and then fed a nice tape-to-tape pass to the winger streaking down his right side who picked the top-right corner.

Overall, the kid looks very good with the puck on his stick. He's always looking up ice to make a play. The bad thing is he's always looking up the ice to make a play. In the offensive half of the ice, he looks poised with the puck and has a nice swagger to his game. Fantastic vision. In the defensive end, he looks disinterested and seems to give a half-hearted effort along the boards. He's content with a few shots to the back of his man instead of working to box him off the puck.

He also seems to be playing the wing on his line, or at least has a linemate taking draws for him. He looks good on a team that doesn't have a whole lot of good up front. Trouba looks phenomenal though. Nasty and responsible, but can move the puck and has that huge shot. Jets got themselves a real gamer in this kid.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Nieves just had a beauty goal. Came back to his goal line on defense and rushed down ice right to the net and tipped in a pass on the go, beauty. Kid looks like he's flyin tonight.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Boo picks up a goal. Hard drive to the net and tipped in a nice feed from the wing.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Boo picks up a goal. Hard drive to the net and tipped in a nice feed from the wing.
Beat ya by like a second

I like how Nieves has filled out so far, definitely a stronger looking frame. He was pushing around some shorter Spartan after the whistle like he was nothin'.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Beat ya by like a second

I like how Nieves has filled out so far, definitely a stronger looking frame. He was pushing around some shorter Spartan after the whistle like he was nothin'.
Haha.

Definitely looks like he's filled out. His lower body in particular. Keeps a strong base to protect the puck. Even better is that he hasn't lost any of his speed or agility.

Old
02-01-2013, 07:54 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Nieves wraps up with 2g and 1a on the night. He and DiGiuseppe have great chemistry.

Old
02-02-2013, 12:15 AM
Pizza

Really liking what I'm seeing from Nieves tonight. It's a case of not being able to teach what this kid seems to have in the lots of dept: Size, Speed, and SKILL. Lots of skill. Can make a really nice pass on the fly, with little room or time. This looks like a very solid pick.

Old
02-02-2013, 07:12 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Boo Nieves was an intriguing player heading into the draft. The skating ability is off the charts. The NHL central scouting scout for the northeast compared the skating to Kreider. Nieves has gotten better which is what you want. In the first period,Nieves got a 2 minute minor for boarding. He barely touched the Michigan State player. Big kid can skate. Good playmaking ability. He is still growing. He fills out that frame. Leave him in school for another 2 years. Nieves has everything you want. Big. Strong. Fast. Can play in the middle.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
eco's bones

Not sure about the superiority of the SEL to the AHL--there are probably some higher end SEL players (at least when the NHL is not in lockout mode) but generally speaking the average player is not better than the average AHL player--he's maybe even worse.

Lindberg and Fasth I would think though would have a better chance at making the Rangers than Miller--who some speculated would make a run at a job this year. Miller looks to be at least one more year away. With age comes size, strength and experience and Miller needs to work on all those more so it seems than Fasth or Lindberg.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
i can hear it now...

Sam Rosen "they arent Booing him, they are saying BOO" LMAO

Old
02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Boo Nieves was an intriguing player heading into the draft. The skating ability is off the charts. The NHL central scouting scout for the northeast compared the skating to Kreider. Nieves has gotten better which is what you want. In the first period,Nieves got a 2 minute minor for boarding. He barely touched the Michigan State player. Big kid can skate. Good playmaking ability. He is still growing. He fills out that frame. Leave him in school for another 2 years. Nieves has everything you want. Big. Strong. Fast. Can play in the middle.
Yeah, I was watching that too Rangerboy. I thought lets see if he comes back and learns from that one....which he did. He's got the size to wedge himself in there and battle more. He's got Berenson looking over his shoulder. Could not ask for a better developmental situation. This is a very good pick. It will be interesting to see how he develops from here. I like the kid on his wing as well. Gotta run that one down and see who owns him.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:41 PM
FirstSwitch

J Fasth made ​​1 goal in today's game and was clearly the best player on the ice in the game against HV71's rivals.
He has now made 15 points in the last 14 games (9 goals + 6 assists)
So far a total of 30 points in 38 games.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:53 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSwitch View Post
J Fasth made ​​1 goal in today's game and was clearly the best player on the ice in the game against HV71's rivals.
He has now made 15 points in the last 14 games (9 goals + 6 assists)
So far a total of 30 points in 38 games.
Thanks for the update!

Old
02-02-2013, 07:56 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Nieves with 1+1 again today.

02-02-2013, 08:21 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
Nieves with 1+1 again today.
nice. hopefully he continues this into next year and makes the usa junior team. hes gotta be near the ncaa lead in freshman scoring.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:02 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Nieves is third among all Freshman skaters in the nation in assists. Outside of Riley Barber, the other guys ahead of him are either not heralded, smurfs or both.

Nieves is kind of a freak of nature because guys his size and as fast as he, especially in college or the CHL normally dont have great vision and playmaking ability.

You can count on one hand how many guys 6'2 or bigger players are pass-first guys and do it well. Rackin up assists from playing on a stacked team and racking up assists because you're just a great passer are two differerent things.

Nieves has a really high ceiling.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:24 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not sure about the superiority of the SEL to the AHL--there are probably some higher end SEL players (at least when the NHL is not in lockout mode) but generally speaking the average player is not better than the average AHL player--he's maybe even worse.
It can be looked at from diffrent type of perspectives, from the perspective of weighting a performance (stats) in one league against the other -- its pretty tricky.

From a competetive point of view, the SEL is in a sense alot more competetive. But, while both the AHL and the SEL for sure loose players to the record strong KHL -- it natraully hurts the SEL more than the AHL so he later is closer than usual.

The big diffrence though is of course that the AHL is a development league and there are no ifs or buts about that. And it shows greatly on the ice. In the SEL you can have a entire town working towards winning the SEL for 10-20 years. Take Skellefteć as a example. 50% of their roster is the work of coaches working with kids and juniors for the last decade. Many have played together for litterary a decade too, when they still are only 20-25 y/o. That of course shows on the ice. Looking past "talent", I would say that Skellefteć is the best team in the hockey world today. As a team, they are like Detroit in their prime and then some.

The AHL is extreme on the other side of the spectrum. But that of course doesn't maek it easier to play in that league -- for some who thrives in a organized environemnt its the opposite of course.

Quote:
Lindberg and Fasth I would think though would have a better chance at making the Rangers than Miller--who some speculated would make a run at a job this year. Miller looks to be at least one more year away. With age comes size, strength and experience and Miller needs to work on all those more so it seems than Fasth or Lindberg.
Good point.

Its easy to forget how darn young Miller still is. Staal was returned to juniors at the same age. MDZ played in the NHL -- but we all remember how darn young he was and how much it showed.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:08 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
last couple of games Fasth has been the player I hoped he could be. I wouldn't say he took over the games, but he was the best player on HV71 the last 10 or so games. Really looking strong all around, good, quick decision making, seems to be improving in puck battles, indicating that he got stronger. I like that a lot. He's 4th among goal scorers, while everyone ahead of him has about 8 games more; he's the youngest of this group by quite a margin as well.

I'm getting more confident that he can make the transition to NA. The only question remaining for me, is if he really is injury prone. Remember, his longest injury was a freak accident. Showing quite some skill on this rebound as well: http://hockeyligan.se/elitserien-are...62/highlights/ , around 1:05-1:10.

Overall, I think we're gonna have a lot of fun with him.

Closed Thread