HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 02:57 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

vCash: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
MY FATHERS BALLS SIR!

ahahahahaha. YES!

Cup67 and Davey-boy are hating on Phil as usual. God I wish every day I could be a strong hockey journalist like that

Old
02-03-2013, 03:03 AM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
Kessel hasn't scored but he's been a massive threat every game. People just need to calm down. It doesn't make sense for this team to trade Phil Kessel, unless he doesn't want to resign or there was an overpayment paid for him. Trading Phil would be another step backwards for the organization imo.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:07 AM
enixer

For what it's worth, Sundin was also criticized for years for being one-dimensional, too soft, too quiet, etc... to the point where some people whistled when his name was announced at the ceremony moving the team from Maple Leaf Gardens and, as Captain, he had to make a speech. I remember being at a game in '97 or so and having some geezer sitting right behind me tell his grandson how much he didn't like Sundin, even with me (and maybe even because I was) wearing my Sundin jersey right in front of him.

Only time will tell, but there are obviously a lot of similarities in the criticism Kessel gets. I do think Kessel can only continue to improve his game with the right coaches (can a single player be said to have developed under Wilson?), find himself with better players, and start to lead this team as he gets older.

Personally, I think the idea of trading him doesn't make sense until we're further along in this team's development and we see if we can bring in a better first-line C in a way that doesn't involve trading him away. We haven't made the playoffs because the team has sucked (intentionally as part of Burke's rebuild), it isn't because Kessel wasn't scoring.

Regarding him not having any goals so far, he's always been streaky. During his slump under Wilson, you may remember that Wilson couldn't even be bothered to talk to him about it. Can't help but think that Carlyle would do better. Hopefully Kessel will snap out of it sooner rather than later. In the meantime, this team is holding its own, even with Lupul out.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:10 AM
AuGsY

13-15

Old
02-03-2013, 04:09 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Kessel hasn't scored but he's been a massive threat every game. People just need to calm down. It doesn't make sense for this team to trade Phil Kessel, unless he doesn't want to resign or there was an overpayment paid for him. Trading Phil would be another step backwards for the organization imo.
Yesterday, besides that one post, he was invisible.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:24 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

I mean you can hate on a player, that's fine, everybody has opinions. Just don't make it so painfully obvious and annoying.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:29 AM
TheSeguinEra2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
Our franchise player effectively has the worst shooting percentage in the entire league so far.
Franchise player?!?! Hes very good but hes nothing special and he proves it every time he plays the Bruins

Old
02-03-2013, 04:34 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Yesterday, besides that one post, he was invisible.
That big slapper that floated to him from 20 feet out? That glove hand rob from the pass behind the net from about 3 feet away? He made a couple beauty passes as well. He could have easily buried 1 or 2 and had an assist or two as well.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:58 AM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
That big slapper that floated to him from 20 feet out? That glove hand rob from the pass behind the net from about 3 feet away? He made a couple beauty passes as well. He could have easily buried 1 or 2 and had an assist or two as well.
Too bad he shot it right into Rask's chest. With more confidence he could have burried that one.

The bottom line is he didn't score and continues to play like crap against Boston.

He wasn't even one of the top 5 players on our team yesterday.

We need him, hopefully he gets going.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:15 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeguinEra2010 View Post
Franchise player?!?! Hes very good but hes nothing special and he proves it every time he plays the Bruins
hes good but he wont carry this team on his back like a sundin /gilmour /etc..ill be surprised if hes not traded before the year is out ,,,,if we end up out of play oof contention ....i see phaneuf /kesel going bye bye

Old
02-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

how about a little bet. when he has over you go away for a year?

Old
02-03-2013, 08:02 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Didn't Jason Blake lead the NHL in shots at one point in Toronto too?
The two seem strikingly similar this year IMO.

I could care less if he ever scores again - were winning - without him
Not saying they are similar players but I can see Kessel looking a lot like Blake in his later years.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:05 AM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
hes good but he wont carry this team on his back like a sundin /gilmour /etc..ill be surprised if hes not traded before the year is out ,,,,if we end up out of play oof contention ....i see phaneuf /kesel going bye bye
Id keep Kessel at a reasonable price...Id dump Phaneuf though....never believed in his captaincy... said it was a bad call from day one. Phaneuf aint no captain. And he has proven it pretty much every day since being annointed. Possibly the most over-rated and over-paid player to wear the blue and white.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:19 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
Too bad he shot it right into Rask's chest. With more confidence he could have burried that one.

The bottom line is he didn't score and continues to play like crap against Boston.

He wasn't even one of the top 5 players on our team yesterday.

We need him, hopefully he gets going.
Bottom line is he was dangerous most of the game, getting chances, which is exactly what the poster said.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
I see you going bye bye before either of them.

And it seems to me a lot of people said the same things about Mats

Old
02-03-2013, 08:49 AM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Given his lack of conditioning - I believe its only a matter of time before Kessel is injured - hip flexer will be my guess. 4 Goals on the season for Jason Kessel
He's missed zero games as a Leaf from being injured in 4 seasons...(I'm not including the games missed from his shoulder injury as a Bruin in Oct-09' before he played a game as a Leaf).

Old
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Bottom line is he was dangerous most of the game, getting chances, which is exactly what the poster said.
Unfortunately being dangerous without results doesn't really benefit the team nor assist it in winning.

Fair or not should the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, Kessel's goals or lack there of will be a determining factor in that final outcome.

02-03-2013, 09:03 AM
RogerRoeper*

Why is it the Kessel haters on this board downplayed his 82 points last season, but now, his points are the biggest issue they have with him now?

All of you liked the side-step his success last season in regards to goals/points.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:05 AM
SteveV*

In fairness to Phil last night in particular JVR was absolutely invisible, complete non factor in every facet of game.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:06 AM
thewave

Maybe give him a real c to work with. Lups goes down and Bozak doesn't have any line carrying ability to his name. In the way of first line c Bozak is a scrub and doesn't deserve his position

Old
02-03-2013, 09:07 AM
RogerRoeper*

The Leafs were playing a top contender. Kessel had a gorilla around him all night. This happens.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:07 AM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why is it the Kessel haters on this board downplayed his 82 points last season, but now, his points are the biggest issue they have with him now?.
It is hilarious the way it's all "he is judged on production", when same people fluffed off top ten in league last year with " ya but his defence sucks".

Old
02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
In fairness to Phil last night in particular JVR was absolutely invisible, complete non factor in every facet of game.
So was Grabs and I don't like our lines right now. Kadri needs up 1c and start finding another 1c 2c to end this Bozak bs once and for all.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:10 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Unfortunately being dangerous without results doesn't really benefit the team nor assist it in winning.

Fair or not should the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, Kessel's goals or lack there of will be a determining factor in that final outcome.
Not fair because there will be a lot of factors in play that will help result in that outcome, not just Phil's inability to score at this moment. After all, it is a team game.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
how about a little bet. when he has over you go away for a year?
Not surprised, another brilliant post.

Closed Thread