HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Facepalm.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post

what is it going to take for Pegula to pull the trigger?
Player mutiny.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:59 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Transition year. Transition year. Transition year. Transition year.

Even so, I worry about our defensive corps for the future as it stands. Too soft. While our pipeline is filled with bodies, do any of them have a shred of physicality in their games aside from McNabb, who - in patented Sabre fashion juuuuuust when we might need a player in his mold - has regressed bigtime?

Respect to Weber, but if he's the big hitter of the unit that other teams "are to be concerned about"...we're not going to go anywhere significant.

Is any single one of the current group besides Regehr considered remotely close to "tough to play against in front of the net"? Neg.

Today:

Ugly

- First time in my life I stopped watching after two periods and switched to radio in a dissatisfied and angry hissy **** fit. I was on such a positive, optimistic cloud after the Boston game....lasted all of 17 hours. Buf-fa-lo in a nutshell.

- my burning desire to get Stafford off of the team

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:59 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
The chant certainly isn't iconic either. It has been done in Europe for many years PRIOR to the Habs stealing it.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:10 AM
schpaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post

Even so, I worry about our defensive corps for the future as it stands. Too soft. While our pipeline is filled with bodies, do any of them have a shred of physicality in their games aside from McNabb, who - in patented Sabre fashion juuuuuust when we might need a player in his mold - has regressed bigtime?

Respect to Weber, but if he's the big hitter of the unit that other teams "are to be concerned about"...we're not going to go anywhere significant.

Is any single one of the current group besides Regehr considered remotely close to "tough to play against in front of the net"? Neg.

Today:

Ugly

- First time in my life I stopped watching after two periods and switched to radio in a dissatisfied and angry hissy **** fit. I was on such a positive, optimistic cloud after the Boston game....lasted all of 17 hours. Buf-fa-lo in a nutshell.

- my burning desire to get Stafford off of the team

It's the coach I tell ya...The hard truth.., this team lacks talent, has for years, the fact Miller makes up for and then gets the blame is mind blowing.

Fire Lindy...Ya I get it, the fact is, I could care less who the coach of this team is or who will be the coach...the team is full of non-compete players, minus 3-4 guys.

Myers doesn't suck because of the coach...Ennis is what he is, a diminutive winger, with the flash. The years waiting for Stafford to make his presence felt...I'm still waiting.

This mess is your Buffalo Sabres.

schpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:37 AM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Boyes interview spoke volumes about how Ruff treats his players.
FWIW, Boyes has 2 goals and 4 assits in 7 games with the Isle

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:57 AM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Boyes is basically Stafford, give um PP time and quality line mates and theyll score. Switch their places last season and I would bet you could switch their stat lines and not be to far off.

Push Dr Tracksuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:14 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
Glad this is one of the games I happened to miss. Saw the final score, zipped over to game stats, saw the matching -3s for Myers and Leopold. Sigh.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Lindy View Post
It's not just those two, our 2nd and 3rd lines aren't contributing at all.

Ennis - 5 points, but only two of those came from even strength with his line. he has two powerplay points and one ES point came from a Vanek assist.

Stafford - 3 points, only 2 points from ES line, 0 goals

Foligno - 5 points, only 2 points came from ES with his actual line he played with for the game

Grigorenko - 2 points

Jochen Hecht - 1 point

Steve Ott - 2 points, only 1 with ES line
It's because Ennis-Stafford are being used improperly. FES tore **** up at the end of last season because they were getting a high amount of O-zone starts and were playing a lot against weaker competition. That's changed this year.

Of forwards, only Kaleta has a lower percentage of offensive-zone starts than Ennis. Ponder that for a moment. He's starting just less than half of his non-neutral zone starts in the offensive end, and he's 4th in QualComp behind Foligno, Kaleta, and Stafford. Ennis is being deployed as an effective two-way forward would. He's not that. He's an excellent one-way offensive forward.

Ditto for Stafford, though he's a much better two-way player than Ennis. Lower percentage of O-zone starts and playing a higher quality of competition = lower scoring. That said, Drew's vital signs aren't bad. He's finishing more shifts in the O-zone than he starts, and he's on a bit of a cold streak with his shooting right now: 0-for-22. His possession game is quality, too, given that he has a good Relative Corsi and a very good Corsi Relative to Quality of Competition. As is often the case, looking at the scoresheet only gives you a small piece of the picture.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
It's because Ennis-Stafford are being used improperly. FES tore **** up at the end of last season because they were getting a high amount of O-zone starts and were playing a lot against weaker competition. That's changed this year.

Of forwards, only Kaleta has a lower percentage of offensive-zone starts than Ennis. Ponder that for a moment. He's starting just less than half of his non-neutral zone starts in the offensive end, and he's 4th in QualComp behind Foligno, Kaleta, and Stafford. Ennis is being deployed as an effective two-way forward would. He's not that. He's an excellent one-way offensive forward.

Ditto for Stafford, though he's a much better two-way player than Ennis. Lower percentage of O-zone starts and playing a higher quality of competition = lower scoring. That said, Drew's vital signs aren't bad. He's finishing more shifts in the O-zone than he starts, and he's on a bit of a cold streak with his shooting right now: 0-for-22. His possession game is quality, too, given that he has a good Relative Corsi and a very good Corsi Relative to Quality of Competition. As is often the case, looking at the scoresheet only gives you a small piece of the picture.
FES pretty much turned out exactly how I warned all the "ZOMG ENNIS!!!" Kool aiders...

they were a "3rd" line offense only option, that was cleaning up easy minutes and choice situations...

now, they are being used like the old Roy line... and the results are what should have been expected

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:30 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Lindy ruff blows and is a cancer to team and it's younger players.
And for Myers, his teammate is worse than him back there. Why not put him with Weber or something

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

vCash: 50
Quote:
seems like every year is a "transition" or "re-building" year now with this bunch

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:00 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
FES pretty much turned out exactly how I warned all the "ZOMG ENNIS!!!" Kool aiders...

they were a "3rd" line offense only option, that was cleaning up easy minutes and choice situations...

now, they are being used like the old Roy line... and the results are what should have been expected
Meanwhile, our two best defensive forwards are chewing up soft minutes and o-zone starts because they're sheltering Grigs. Best coach ever.

struckbyaparkedcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Meanwhile, our two best defensive forwards are chewing up soft minutes and o-zone starts because they're sheltering Grigs. Best coach ever.
Yep. An Ennis/Grigs-Grigs/Ennis-Stafford line taking easy zone starts makes too much sense, but the coach can't figure that out. It doesn't help matters that this roster needs at least one more center, and probably two.

But they could probably make two reasonably decent defensive lines if they went Foligno-Hecht-Ott and some combo of Ellis, McCormick, Gerbe, Scott, and Kaleta (when healthy).

Again, mismatched pieces with a coach who can neither get the most out of them nor make them fit together the best way possible and make lemonade out of lemons.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Revelate

Quote:

FWIW, I think that McNabb's suck reached an apex about a month ago, and yes it was bad. Really bad. However, he has been steadily improving as of late. He's stopped forcing things so much. He's a beast when he plays a simple game. Not surprisingly, improved play from him has resulted in a better Amerks team. Pardy has certainly helped too.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Assits... did you do that on purpose?

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
FWIW, I think that McNabb's suck reached an apex about a month ago, and yes it was bad. Really bad. However, he has been steadily improving as of late. He's stopped forcing things so much. He's a beast when he plays a simple game. Not surprisingly, improved play from him has resulted in a better Amerks team. Pardy has certainly helped too.
Agree fully about McNabb. He has really been contributing down there since the lockout ended. I just wish he'd shoot more. The same could be said about Adam to a lesser extent. It still looks like he doesn't care but at least he's not making bonehead mistakes on a shift by shift basis.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote