HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I have watched the NHL for 37 years

Old
02-03-2013, 09:08 AM
RaybCamn

vCash: 500
I have watched the NHL for 37 years

I have never ever seen worse officiating than I have seen this year. I am a Bruins fan but this year I have watched quite a few games that are not the Bs playing, it is just awful, in years past I could kinda understand why some thing were called, this year I am absolutly dumfounded I just cannot figure out why the calls are being made. Hits that dont happen slashes that dont connect. I think it was a Philly game too many men on the ice one team had 7 the other had 8 only one team got a penalty. Being thrown out of the game for being mad, yes is has happend twice from what I have heard. Goal tender interference has gotten just plain stupid. They really need to displine refs and get video involved, the game is just to fast now.

RaybCamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Skraut

That's what happens when you listen to an announcer who spends all game crying about phantom calls. Watch the other team's feed, and you'll quickly return to the NHL you know and love where the refs make the occasional bad call for both teams, but overall don't do too bad of a job.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:38 AM
number72

What I noticed more then the officiating was how the teams are getting closer to parity. Last year the bruins beat the leafs 6-0 and this year is was only 1-0. The bruins are on the decline and blaming officiating for that decline doesn't pass the reasonaibility test

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Frank Drebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
What I noticed more then the officiating was how the teams are getting closer to parity. Last year the bruins beat the leafs 6-0 and this year is was only 1-0. The bruins are on the decline and blaming officiating for that decline doesn't pass the reasonaibility test
I laughed out loud at this logic.

Frank Drebin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Follower of Yzlam
#FreeDrouin

vCash: 134
I kind of agree with the sentiment, though. It's not what's getting called or what's not getting called, it's the complete lack of consistency. Honestly, watching the games, I'm not always sure what's a penalty anymore (especially with hooking and interference).

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:48 AM
RaybCamn

Wow some people are just pissed about everything I was not complaining about calls just against the Bruins its happening all over the league. I do watch the games intensely, you dont, if you heard the play by play they agreed with both calls of goal tender interference. So I am not wearing blinders or not listening I not even just talking about the Bruins. I am not talking about Lucic hit on Miller which was illegal but it should not be. I am not talking about Charas hit he was not only not suspended by the NHL but the Canada courts chucked the case out.
I am talking about this years reffing it astoundingly bad, its like they forgot to call a game too many games are being decided by the calls. I was wondering if people felt the same, I am a hockey fan, not just a Bruins fan. Bad calls should not decide the outcome of games there should be a way of reversing bad decisions on the ice. Maybe the can just gaze up at the large screen in center ice, and take a look. We do why cant they. And I know the refs are doing the best they can but it is simply not good enough. They need to make some changes.

The reason the Bruins only beat Toronto last night 1-0 is the Bruins are not as good as they have been the last couple of years and Toronto is better than they have been the last couple years. I would watch my team if they went 0 for 48, Toronto has had some bad years and the fans have stuck by them and have never given up. Are fans outside of Toronto the only once who can remain true to there team when they stink. The Bruins are not as good this year because they are not playing as a team, its there fault plain and simple.

Last edited by RaybCamn: 02-03-2013 at 09:55 AM.
RaybCamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:59 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Currently perceived injustice tends to appear greater than the one of past days.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:02 AM
SammyTheBull

Agreed as a Sens fan.

SammyTheBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:04 AM
It Was 4 to 1*

agreed with op

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Frankie Spankie

HF Logic: Instead of trying to have a rational discussion on the topic, let's attack the OP because of the team he's a fan of!

I've seen a lot of iffy calls around the league so far too, they're starting to get really out of hand. Every day you could watch the TSN highlights and they'll point out quite a few missed calls or bad calls that ruined a game for a team. That hit to the head on (I think Backes) against Detroit was a complete joke. Worst call I've seen in a while and it cost the game for the Blues because Backes made a clean play...

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaybCamn View Post
Wow some people are just pissed about everything I was not complaining about calls just against the Bruins its happening all over the league. I do watch the games intensely, you dont, if you heard the play by play they agreed with both calls of goal tender interference. So I am not wearing blinders or not listening I not even just talking about the Bruins. I am not talking about Lucic hit on Miller which was illegal but it should not be. I am not talking about Charas hit he was not only not suspended by the NHL but the Canada courts chucked the case out.
I am talking about this years reffing it astoundingly bad, its like they forgot to call a game too many games are being decided by the calls. I was wondering if people felt the same, I am a hockey fan, not just a Bruins fan. Bad calls should not decide the outcome of games there should be a way of reversing bad decisions on the ice. Maybe the can just gaze up at the large screen in center ice, and take a look. We do why cant they. And I know the refs are doing the best they can but it is simply not good enough. They need to make some changes.

The reason the Bruins only beat Toronto last night 1-0 is the Bruins are not as good as they have been the last couple of years and Toronto is better than they have been the last couple years. I would watch my team if they went 0 for 48, Toronto has had some bad years and the fans have stuck by them and have never given up. Are fans outside of Toronto the only once who can remain true to there team when they stink. The Bruins are not as good this year because they are not playing as a team, its there fault plain and simple.
The average person is an idiot, then you have to realize that half of everybody is below that...

Seriously though, I wholeheartedly agree with you.

And it's not one thing too, it's the faceoffs, the interference both on goalies and defensemen trying to slow forecheckers down, phantom hooking or slashing calls, falling for blatant dives, etc. Worst part though, is that sometimes it very strict and other times not, often during the same ****ing game.

Very frustrating as a fan.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Lshap

Quote:

A protracted season makes every game count for more, which makes every bad call count for more. There are fewer games for the screw-ups to hide.

Also, there were some subtle rule changes that players and refs are still unsure about.

But yeah, on the face of it, I've also noticed a lot of suspect penalties, goals that should've been, etc...

PS: I see your 37 years and raise you a 42. Nice to see some guys in my age bracket around here! Stick around.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
A protracted season makes every game count for more, which makes every bad call count for more. There are fewer games for the screw-ups to hide.

Also, there were some subtle rule changes that players and refs are still unsure about.

But yeah, on the face of it, I've also noticed a lot of suspect penalties, goals that should've been, etc...

PS: I see your 37 years and raise you a 42. Nice to see some guys in my age bracket around here! Stick around.
I'm not sure how much that's the case. I think even as fans, every game is going to be important to us. Sure, a loss hurts a little more because there are fewer games, but it's not like we didn't notice bad calls in the past.

I do agree with the subtle rule changes though. I don't even remember them ever announcing rule changes for the new season and am slowly learning them all because of the announcers. Even then, with the announcers explaining them, they still don't look like penalties to me.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

officiating has been awful this season

such an embarrassment

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

As a whole it's been pretty bad.

I remember last game, Vanek got a penalty for good defense.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

The reffing has been a little bipolar this year. The Edmonton/LA game was totally messed up.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1500
I came in here to concur that the reffing has been noticeably bad this season, and I'm not the type to criticize officiating too often or mistake a few coughs for an epidemic. But this thread is just a catfight.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Davebo
BeepBeep!

It's not just this league - officials are power tripping everywhere.

But I agree with the OP - I haven't seen officiating consistently this bad in over 40 years.

Which NHL coach will be the first to emulate this guy?

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter

Officiating has been absolutely terrible this season. Terrible. I think both Leafs and Bruins fans who watched last night could agree to that.

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:28 AM
sirlaxalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
officiating has been awful this season

such an embarrassment
sure has been. so many phantom calls. 2-3 times a game ,i'm thinking wtf!?? good post op...and i don't think who you are a fan of really matters.

sirlaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
PayItForward

Who cares what team the OP roots for? There seems to be over a thread a day on this site complaining about a missed call. The refereeing this year has been bad.

PayItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
birddog*

Quote:

Well saying this year was worse when the series against Vancouver that won the Bruins the cup was a farce. They rolled the rules back to the 1970's for that one.

Forgetting the worst calls ever -- Lucic and Chara -- forgive us if we don't agree and have little sympathy for a Bruins fan complaining about the officiating.

Suck it up buttercup.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
HF Logic: Instead of trying to have a rational discussion on the topic, let's attack the OP because of the team he's a fan of!

I've seen a lot of iffy calls around the league so far too, they're starting to get really out of hand. Every day you could watch the TSN highlights and they'll point out quite a few missed calls or bad calls that ruined a game for a team. That hit to the head on (I think Backes) against Detroit was a complete joke. Worst call I've seen in a while and it cost the game for the Blues because Backes made a clean play...
Logical discussion. This uear is NOT worse. worse was the Lucic and Chara non-suspensions. Worse was the finals where the Bruins were allowed to mug guys.

This year is actually pretty good.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:39 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Officiating has been absolutely terrible this season. Terrible. I think both Leafs and Bruins fans who watched last night could agree to that.
I've seen worse. Much worse.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
I've only been watching hockey for maybe half as long, but it's the worst I've ever seen as well. What's even more grating than the terrible penalty calls/no-goal calls is the refs refusing to just drop the ****ing puck already so they can be the star of the show and throw a guy out every other time there's a draw.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote