HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Spezza (Herniated disc - Back surgery - Out at least 2 months)

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 03:32 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
Has this become a meme? Praise Karlsson.
What? I am one of the first to praise Hossa, but you would have to be a special kind of special to take Hossa over Karlsson.

Last edited by 18Hossa: 02-02-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old
02-02-2013, 03:38 PM
GoSensGo765
BELIEVE!

vCash: 500
To any poster saying they are only now realizing how he is the focal point of the offence......you must be quite a casual Sens fan....

Old
02-02-2013, 04:20 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKarlsson View Post
Lol.. Karlsson won the Norris trophy. Spezza has never won a thing... Clearly the team would like to have both playing right now but I would take Karlsson over Spezza everyday of the week.
To each their own. They are both important to this team in their own way. I can say one thing -- whether or not Karlsson is on the ice Spezza will produce for this team. Before Karlsson was ever elite Spezza was still dominating. When it comes down to pure skill Spezza is near the tops in the league and he has been the focal point of this offence for years.

This has been argued to death though. Right now? Obviously you take Karlsson...but if Spezza was the 22 year old it makes the decision much tougher.

All I have to say is that Spezza finished 6th overall in Hart voting last year...among all players. Karlsson may have won the Norris, but he wasn't as valuable to this team as Spezza was/is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
To any poster saying they are only now realizing how he is the focal point of the offence......you must be quite a casual Sens fan....
Yeah...it's like last year when Karlsson even said that if Spezza is on the ice he just tries to get the puck to him. Watch Karlsson's highlights last year and see how many points he got without the help of Spezza. Karlsson controls the transitions game of this team and he's becoming deceivingly amazing in his own end...his offensive instincts are top notch but make no mistakes that Spezza is the backbone of our offence.

Old
02-02-2013, 04:35 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
To each their own. They are both important to this team in their own way. I can say one thing -- whether or not Karlsson is on the ice Spezza will produce for this team. Before Karlsson was ever elite Spezza was still dominating. When it comes down to pure skill Spezza is near the tops in the league and he has been the focal point of this offence for years.

This has been argued to death though. Right now? Obviously you take Karlsson...but if Spezza was the 22 year old it makes the decision much tougher.

All I have to say is that Spezza finished 6th overall in Hart voting last year...among all players. Karlsson may have won the Norris, but he wasn't as valuable to this team as Spezza was/is.

Yeah...it's like last year when Karlsson even said that if Spezza is on the ice he just tries to get the puck to him. Watch Karlsson's highlights last year and see how many points he got without the help of Spezza. Karlsson controls the transitions game of this team and he's becoming deceivingly amazing in his own end...his offensive instincts are top notch but make no mistakes that Spezza is the backbone of our offence.
I agree with you to an extent. I think Karlsson shifts the game to our favour. I don't think any other player in the league can do that outside of Malkin/Crosby but even they can do so much defensively.

You know how everyone calls Karlsson a fourth forward? He plays and scores like a forward yet dominates in his own-zone. He does almost twice as much work.

Although, Spezza being a forward is much more vital to the team's overall offense and puck possession in their zone down-low and such. Harder for a defender to be able to do much with fore-checker on him and limited space. Last year I agree Spezza was the back-bone, but with Karlsson dominating all 3 zones, he'll start pulling away as the most important player in the league let alone Ottawa.

I don't wanna get ahead of myself though, that's if his unbelievable learning curve continues which isn't slowing down.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
PhysicalTorque

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
What? I am one of the first to praise Hossa, but you would have to be a special kind of special to take Hossa over Karlsson.
Nah, I meant trade Spezza for someone durable. I just threw in Praise Karlsson because that was the last meme I remembered on this section.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:14 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

Carolina game was the first one. There will be many more... to make people realize how important Spezza is to the offense.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Carolina game was the first one. There will be many more... to make people realize how important Spezza is to the offense.
Umm, people already know how crucial he is to the offence.

Old
02-02-2013, 05:39 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Just trade him, he's become a glass-like player like Hossa or Salo. We're paying him with a juicy contract only to see him sidelined.
Oh yeah, that contract is really hurting the team. If only we had some cap space to bring in the real stars.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:04 PM
BigZKingK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Umm, people already know how crucial he is to the offence.
Mandy doesn't know

Old
02-03-2013, 12:49 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Just trade him, he's become a glass-like player like Hossa or Salo. We're paying him with a juicy contract only to see him sidelined.
We can't trade Spezza unless we are getting a first line center back or if we have a player on the team ready to take over the first line center spot. If we are really bad this year and we end up drafting Mackinnon then we could possibly be in a position to trade Spezza. Even then it would be better to wait a season or two to see what a player like Mackinnon can do at the NHL level before considering moving a proven 1st line center.

I would trade Spezza + for Tavares though.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:54 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Spezza is the most under-appreciated player in the league. Of that I am certain.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:15 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Spezza is the most under-appreciated player in the league. Of that I am certain.
There's a thread about him being underrated every so often, it's funny. You'd think enough of those would change people's mind. Spezza at his absolute worst with nothing to work with is the norm for a lot of legit 1st line centers. I always think of Spezza as a potential 100+ point player with real wingers.
Top 30 Centers, it's not too bad, should few places higher, major step up in skill around the mid pack.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:34 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Trading Spezza is a strategic move. Spezza has an undeniably high skill level and is a very valuable asset to this team, but moving him (or at least the thought of moving him) is based on maximizing the interests of this organization in the long run.

Like I have stated in another thread, the Senators are not likely to be Stanley Cup contenders until the 2014-2015 or 2015-2016 season. At this point our prospects (or at least our top prospects) will have established themselves as NHL regulars. Our ability to become a Cup contender is largely contingent on the development of our top prospects (Stone, Silfveberg, Zibanejad, Noesen, Ceci, Lehner) and our key young players (Karlsson, Smith, Cowen, Turris).

As the Senators begin to become Cup contenders, Spezza will be nearing his mid thirties where his skill level will likely (but not necessarily) begin to regress. At that point it will start to become necessary to begin seeking for an eventual replacement.

Now we don't have to trade Spezza. We could target centers with 1st line potential in the following drafts and hope some of them pan out. Or if a lot of our prospects pan out, we could package some of them for a number 1 center. But in either case it is contingent on certain prospects realizing their potential which isn't a certainty.

Moving Spezza is basically about acquiring a young 1st line center so by the time we are ready to contend, that center will be able to stay around for many years.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:39 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Moving Spezza is basically about acquiring a young 1st line center so by the time we are ready to contend, that center will be able to stay around for many years.
Go ahead and name the young 1st line center. Leafs have struggled getting one, and so will we. You listed a ton of players, the notable ones I see are Karlsson, Cowen, Lehner, and on our current roster we have Karlsson, Cowen, and Anderson. When we are ready to contend, Spezza will be an elite #1 center. You are looking too far into the future, a future that might include Karlsson asking for a trade to the Leafs, at which point the plan is down the drain.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Go ahead and name the young 1st line center. Leafs have struggled getting one, and so will we. You listed a ton of players, the notable ones I see are Karlsson, Cowen, Lehner, and on our current roster we have Karlsson, Cowen, and Anderson.
John Tavares, Jamie Benn, Claude Giroux

Old
02-03-2013, 01:45 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
John Tavares, Jamie Benn, Claude Giroux
What about them? Is this NHL 13?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:50 AM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
What about them? Is this NHL 13?
You asked me to name a young first line center, I named three. It would be difficult to acquire any of them, but a deal centered around Spezza could be sufficient. Like I stated previously I would give Spezza + for Tavares.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:03 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
You asked me to name a young first line center, I named three. It would be difficult to acquire any of them, but a deal centered around Spezza could be sufficient. Like I stated previously I would give Spezza + for Tavares.
And the Islanders would tell us to shove it.

It's stupid how under-rated Spezza is by this fan base. We should probably continue building the team around the proven, experienced #1 center with many years left to come in his career. We should also worry about getting an actual star winger for him rather than trying to replace the only star forward we have.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:19 AM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

How feasible is it even to trade him for a young centre? I mean wouldn't we dip below the salary floor? And if you're going to get another expensive player back what would be the point of the trade?

Old
02-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Micklebot

Teams don't trade #1 centers. Remember how long we lacked one? The White's and Bonk's are just not enough.

Other teams are unwilling to move # 1 centers for a reason, and we should be too.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Johnny Hanson

Trade spezza is a side effect of posting too much on hfboards. You would get laughed out of the board room if you ever suggested that game plan to murray. We have a legit star number 1 centre yet people want to trade him with the hopes that whoever we get in return turns out to be as good as spezza. Really smart thinking guys

Old
02-03-2013, 09:01 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
Trade spezza is a side effect of posting too much on hfboards. You would get laughed out of the board room if you ever suggested that game plan to murray. We have a legit star number 1 centre yet people want to trade him with the hopes that whoever we get in return turns out to be as good as spezza. Really smart thinking guys
Spezza is aging and has his problems. There's nothing wrong with planning ahead. Will Spezza be a star #1C for the duration of his next contract? Probably not. By no means should we get rid of him while he still is one, though.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:48 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Teams don't trade #1 centers. Remember how long we lacked one? The White's and Bonk's are just not enough.

Other teams are unwilling to move # 1 centers for a reason, and we should be too.
Was Todd White a centre? If he was he was a #1 centre in my book.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:53 AM
18Hossa

Off topic but Todd White went to my school.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Senators Growing
Next year again...

Quote:
Trading Spezza is a strategic move. Spezza has an undeniably high skill level and is a very valuable asset to this team, but moving him (or at least the thought of moving him) is based on maximizing the interests of this organization in the long run.

As the Senators begin to become Cup contenders, Spezza will be nearing his mid thirties where his skill level will likely (but not necessarily) begin to regress. At that point it will start to become necessary to begin seeking for an eventual replacement.

Now we don't have to trade Spezza. We could target centers with 1st line potential in the following drafts and hope some of them pan out. Or if a lot of our prospects pan out, we could package some of them for a number 1 center. But in either case it is contingent on certain prospects realizing their potential which isn't a certainty.

This. If you do a little Senators blog exploration, you'll see Mark Parisi did a fantastic writeup of Age vs. Production; around Spezza's age the points start declining and it's unlikely he'll be producing at an 80+ point pace at age 32-36. Do you risk rankling him by offering him below 7.0M or do you start drafting/looking for another centre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post

Off the top of my head, I remember Wayne Gretzky, Pierre Turgeon, Pat LaFontaine, Jeremy Roenick, Joe Thornton and Mike Richards all being moved. It happens and if you can get a good enough return you have to consider it; not saying TRADE SPEZZA NAO but Murray would be foolish to not consider Spezza's injury history, his potential production and whether or not he'll still be elite in 5-8 years.

Also, didn't we go deep in the playoffs with Bonk/White/Van Allen? Of course we had a fantastic defense and winger corps...Spetz was on that team but not in a regular role to my recollection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hanson View Post
You might be surprised to hear what the Murrays say in the heat of action, especially in the playoffs. It's not as polished as you'd believe and Spezza already asked for a trade after he was booed...and didn't go anywhere.

Closed Thread