HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tyler Myers

Old
02-03-2013, 07:23 AM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

vCash: 500
I don't know what the Canucks should offer but we'd be cautiously interested

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:50 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Nothing exactly wrong with the thread. The OP is just trying to see what other teams would give up for him and how much value he holds.

I'm nowhere near ready to give up on him but let me give my summary and say this and other teams' fans can judge: Ever since his rookie year he's gotten worse and worse every year to the point that it's the most noticeable now. Whether it be because Tallinder's gone or because Myers just hasn't played the same (I believe it's a mix of both), he's played extremely poorly, too poorly for such a special player with so much potential and that has shown so much in the NHL already. I think, like I believe is a problem for a lot of our players right now, that it's more mental than anything. Whether it's the coaching or the players simply making mistakes they shouldn't make, something's been wrong with a lot of our players all year. Could be the coaching, what goes on in the room, or the players in general not playing up to par, but Myers, along with almost every other struggling player on the team, isn't playing nearly as well as he could and should be. He's a good player but this is more than a slump, leaving some to believe the coaching is a big problem and the team is suffering from it.

Myers has just been dreadful and since Tallinder left has never had a partner he's had good chemistry with like he did with Hank. We've tried everyone. Regehr, Sekera, Leopold. He hasn't impressed with anyone and has been the worst with Leo. I won't use the partner thing as an excuse, because I believe a good defenseman should be able to play well regardless of who he's paired with (unless that partner is so bad he brings his partner down) but having that magical chemistry with someone is nice too. Myers has so much going for him but has taken leaps backward minus Hank. He's a giveaway machine, soft and zero physical game, refuses to shoot, terrible decisions, careless with the puck, doesn't use his advantages (size, reach, skating ability), and worst of all gets easily overpowered by significantly smaller players (Jeff Skinner out-muscled him for an EN goal this season and he's only about 5'11" 200). He's honestly barley looked like a bottom-pairing guy this year. Aside from a PP goal, I haven't been impressed with any other plays he's made. The Buffalo fanbase fell in love with him in 09-10 and rightfully so and many still make excuses but he's honestly very overrated. I'll admit that.

Still though, only 23 and playing an extremely hard position. I'm not ready to give up on him at all but this is far more than a small slump. The guy's got all the talent in the world and the ability to be a franchise defenseman like we hope but there's a lot of work for him to do and he's got to be way better. He can be, we know it, but he's got to show it on the ice. I still like him a lot and don't want to trade him but I'm praying to God he finds himself. That contract could look really ugly a few years from now if he really only turns out to be a one-year-wonder.
I was going to ask what was wrong with him, as I wasn't aware that he had regressed that much, but this clears that up, thanks.

As a Sens fan, I think it would be silly for Buffalo to move him (i.e. to sell low). Either he regains his form, in which case you're glad you hung onto him, or he doesn't, in which case you would likely get similar value for him in a couple of years as you would now, selling at his lowest point.

That said, as infrequent as inter-division trades are, what would you realistically want from Ottawa for him? I think MacLean and his coaching staff, along with our trainers, could resurrect him to a certain extent. As I see Cowen as Karlsson's long-term D partner, I think Myers could form a nice shutdown pair with Methot, or be a good partner on the second pair with Ceci down the road, if Ceci pans out.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:29 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
I was going to ask what was wrong with him, as I wasn't aware that he had regressed that much, but this clears that up, thanks.

As a Sens fan, I think it would be silly for Buffalo to move him (i.e. to sell low). Either he regains his form, in which case you're glad you hung onto him, or he doesn't, in which case you would likely get similar value for him in a couple of years as you would now, selling at his lowest point.

That said, as infrequent as inter-division trades are, what would you realistically want from Ottawa for him? I think MacLean and his coaching staff, along with our trainers, could resurrect him to a certain extent. As I see Cowen as Karlsson's long-term D partner, I think Myers could form a nice shutdown pair with Methot, or be a good partner on the second pair with Ceci down the road, if Ceci pans out.
What I'd want in return for Myers would be a blue chip prospect + something else (1st round pick, good young roster player). As you said, I doubt Buffalo would ever entertain moving Myers within the division, but if we did I'd want Zibanejad coming back our way and I think that's a non-starter for Ottawa.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:44 AM
steveat

I think the best bet is to trade for a blue chip prospect straight up + future considerations.

You have to remember that Meyers contract is still NEW. This means that if Meyers fails the following season(s) and doesn't live up to how he originally played, the team will have to use one of it's CBA buyouts OR bury him in the minors for a while.

IF he does live u to his name then yes, I agree, throw in another 1st rounder or decent prospect or even something else. That would be up to the details of future considerations.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
birddog*

Myers is still worth a lot. It would be premature to judge him based on 7-8 games after a lengthy lock-out.

The problem with HF is when a kid comes into the league and puts up 40 points they expect him to become a 60 point dman or see him dominate even further. What we've been seeing is that some of these kids come into the league well prepared and don't progress much beyond there initial season. Myers, Schenn are good examples of this and there are plenty more. There is a levelling off we see. The only exception to that I've seen is Karlson. Pietrangelo has certainly emerged but came into the league off a lengthy injury.

The question is what's Myers worth if he plays like his rookie season. A lot - and I think it's likely he'll return to that form. Giving up on young players like this is often a mistake.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
officeglen

Schenn+Schenn for Myers?

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
bud12

but he's better than Subban

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:27 AM
JoemAvs

I guess ROR + Elliott/Barrie for Myers + 1 of your many centerprospects (Girgensons? probably not Hodgson?) makes an awful lot of sense if Myers does not improve and ROR does not sign in the next few games...

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I guess ROR + Elliott/Barrie for Myers + 1 of your many centerprospects (Girgensons? probably not Hodgson?) makes an awful lot of sense if Myers does not improve and ROR does not sign in the next few games...
I don't think ROR+Elliott/Barrie would get you Myers, let alone them adding a young center.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I don't think ROR+Elliott/Barrie would get you Myers, let alone them adding a young center.
Well probably not because the Sabres management will never trade him.

But I have watched him play this year. And boy oh boy oh boy is he awful.

He looks worse than SOB or any of our pylons out there right now.

Sabres won't give up on him but there are major question marks about him in the long run...

I am not so sure that this is a "bad" proposal. A fantasy one ? Yes but bad value? I am not so sure about that.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Lol @ Myers for Couture, Myers would be the 5th or 6th defenseman in San Jose and Couture is our best young player, no way.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:07 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
Myers is still worth a lot. It would be premature to judge him based on 7-8 games after a lengthy lock-out.

The problem with HF is when a kid comes into the league and puts up 40 points they expect him to become a 60 point dman or see him dominate even further. What we've been seeing is that some of these kids come into the league well prepared and don't progress much beyond there initial season. Myers, Schenn are good examples of this and there are plenty more. There is a levelling off we see. The only exception to that I've seen is Karlson. Pietrangelo has certainly emerged but came into the league off a lengthy injury.

The question is what's Myers worth if he plays like his rookie season. A lot - and I think it's likely he'll return to that form. Giving up on young players like this is often a mistake.
The thing is, he hasn't just leveled off. frankly, he's been well below average/sucked for the better part of 2 of the last 3 seasons. If he was playing only slightly worse than how he was his rookie year, I'd still be completely happy with him. But so far this year and for parts of last year, he's played like a bottom pairing defenseman

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:20 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by is the answer jesus View Post
What I'd want in return for Myers would be a blue chip prospect + something else (1st round pick, good young roster player). As you said, I doubt Buffalo would ever entertain moving Myers within the division, but if we did I'd want Zibanejad coming back our way and I think that's a non-starter for Ottawa.
I would think Zibby (and Silfverberg) are non-starters from Sens management (though a lot of Sens fans are undeservedly down on Zibby). Maybe something like a Noesen, Stone, etc, + a conditional pick depending on his points and +/- numbers?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
That's an overpayment for the Avs.

Myers has looked really bad this year, like really bad. I wouldn't give up Myers straight up for Oreilly at this point.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
I would think Zibby (and Silfverberg) are non-starters from Sens management (though a lot of Sens fans are undeservedly down on Zibby). Maybe something like a Noesen, Stone, etc, + a conditional pick depending on his points and +/- numbers?
Seriously? We're supposed to give away to a division rival for scraps now because he had a couple bad games? No thank you.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
CupWanted
#19 The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Seriously? We're supposed to give away to a division rival for scraps now because he had a couple bad games? No thank you.
Seriously. I'm afraid to ask what the condition would be. A guess: If Myers scores 50 goals in each of the next 10 seasons Buffalo get's the righ to swap 7th round draft picks in 2045.

CupWanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Yeah... no thanks to that deal. We'd want quality not quantity in a trade for Myers.

is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I'm not giving up on the kid just yet, he's young and has a boatload of potential. Yes, he's been brutal and right now his value right now is at an all time low so it's really not worth trading him. I want to get rid of Ruff and see this kid with a proper coach. Eakins please?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

What the kids needs right now is some patience.
But I find it funny that on one hand the Sabres fan are down on Tyler. On the other, they demand astronomically high return for him.

Kwayry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:17 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
But I find it funny that on one hand the Sabres fan are down on Tyler. On the other, they demand astronomically high return for him.
We don't like watching our team suck, but we know also know Myers' potential is about as high as they come. When he's playing well, he's a game-breaker. (Also when he's playing really poorly, but then the game breaks the other way ).

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
MayDayMayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
What does Buffalo need?

How bout something like:

Filppula+ One of Jurco/Frk/Pulk and maybe a 3rd rounder
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Well idk what Buffalo's needs are but...

Filppula + Jurco + 1st or 2nd

Not sure if I'd do the deal because the Wings would completely suck offensively, just throwing out the idea. I think Babcock could work wonders with a kid like Myers.
I think if Detroit came out of the box with something like this, we would seriously have to listen.

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeurekasky View Post
I think if Detroit came out of the box with something like this, we would seriously have to listen.
Do you think Buffalo would want a top-six forward in return or would prospects do just as well? Because there's speculation on the Detroit board that Tatar is being recalled to showcase him for a trade and Detroit was scouting the recent FLA vs. BUF game. And according to TZE from the Wings board, the Sabres are big fans of Sheahan and were disappointed that Detroit drafted him. So maybe they'd want him? I'm not really sure, just speculation:

Tatar + Sheahan + 1st/2nd/3rd for Myers?

Don't know if I'd want Detroit to do this as our center prospect depth is pretty weak. But I could see something like this being offered by KH. And its also very likely Detroit was scouting Weiss from Florida.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
drew5580

He, like many sabres, would benefit most from a coaching change. I like Ruff but his style isn't working anymore. So much talent on this Buffalo team and I feel he mismanages it. I have this fear that when Armia finally gets here along w Grigorenko and Girgensons, he's gonna bury them w 10 mins a night each like he does w Vanek while our third and forth line are playing 45 mins a night

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Would something like Nemeth+2nd+Vincour be even close for a good start?

Or is it more like... Proven NHLer plus pick?

Cin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
key word there

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote