HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
In other news, Vernace is doing a really good job transporting the puck. It is showing up on the scoresheet. He is still too soft and makes some passing mistakes, but much less so in recent weeks when it comes to passing. He stepped up offensively since Gilroy got called up.

Old
02-02-2013, 01:53 AM
Miz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Wait, I thought he was an All Star?

See, I told you: they only selected him for the All Star game because they wanted to boost their first rounder. He is worse than at least half the Whale team. It is understandable because he is 19, but does not justify his selection as an All Star.

I wasnt "hating on" Miller (or Kreider), just reporting what I saw.
Points tonight or not, Miller played like an all-star vs bridgeport, my only concern is that he lets up at times when it comes to hitting, which could be a good/bad thing. Not sure why your so critical on the kid then tell us how Newbury should be in NY.

Old
02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
Points tonight or not, Miller played like an all-star vs bridgeport, my only concern is that he lets up at times when it comes to hitting, which could be a good/bad thing. Not sure why your so critical on the kid then tell us how Newbury should be in NY.

I didnt watch the game last night, was busy. I am glad he did well. When I do watch, I obviously root for our top prospects first. Maybe the All Star game gave him a confidence boost. If so, then I am glad.

Old
02-02-2013, 11:09 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
Quote:
Wait, I thought he was an All Star?

See, I told you: they only selected him for the All Star game because they wanted to boost their first rounder. He is worse than at least half the Whale team. It is understandable because he is 19, but does not justify his selection as an All Star.

I wasnt "hating on" Miller (or Kreider), just reporting what I saw.
Doesn't the AHL pick the All-Stars? I don't think there is a conspiracy here, lol.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

The Whale lost to Springfield 3-2. Didn't see the game, but going by the box score, looks like they were down 3-0 and came back with a blitz in the third period that fell just short. Good to see both Miller and Mashinter with goals again. Also interesting to note that Thomas was the third star of the game despite not having any points.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:37 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
Doesn't the AHL pick the All-Stars? I don't think there is a conspiracy here, lol.

If a team has no All Star, it gets to pick whoever it wants to send to the game. Rangers/Whale staff decided to send Miller.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Osminator

vCash: 50
Quote:
If a team has no All Star, it gets to pick whoever it wants to send to the game. Rangers/Whale staff decided to send Miller.
Ouch!

Just tells you how bad this year's team really is. The AHL picking Kolarik to go the All Star Game in the first place also was an alibi move... and we all know it

Should have sent Larry or Pucky to the All Star Game LOL

Old
02-03-2013, 09:42 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Im no expert but couldnt Thomas of Manshinter< SP> be a better option thn Stu playing forth line minutes? I love Stu but against a team like Tampa Rupp and Asham are enough...I think CT will be better in the Pro game w/better talent than playing in th A.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
Im no expert but couldnt Thomas of Manshinter< SP> be a better option thn Stu playing forth line minutes? I love Stu but against a team like Tampa Rupp and Asham are enough...I think CT will be better in the Pro game w/better talent than playing in th A.
At first I thought that was a new name for Chris. lol

Old
02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

What is the real deal with Mashinter? Seems to be becoming a pretty good AHL'er. Does he have legit NHL talent other than his fists (are his fists really legit)? Does he skate well enough to ever fit into a 3rd line roll? Does he have the hands, hockey sense and skating to actually have 2nd line potential? ( I doubt it but I haven't seen him). Didn't do much in junior other than his over age year where he was just better than a PPG player, and should have been. Went undrafted so he obviously had some serious flaws with his size. Has had a couple of ok years in the A. So is this guy a classic power forward late bloomer with a legit shot to play or is he a solid AHL'er/4th line thrower? I must say I am very intrigued by this guy and am looking for a legit scouting report, even something from his draft year. Woodlief must have seen him.

Thanks
Edit: Where is he playing in CT, his stats seem to indicate he is getting a top 6 opportunity?

Last edited by N9Y4R: 02-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old
02-03-2013, 05:44 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
What is the real deal with Mashinter? Seems to be becoming a pretty good AHL'er. Does he have legit NHL talent other than his fists (are his fists really legit)? Does he skate well enough to ever fit into a 3rd line roll? Does he have the hands, hockey sense and skating to actually have 2nd line potential? ( I doubt it but I haven't seen him). Didn't do much in junior other than his over age year where he was just better than a PPG player, and should have been. Went undrafted so he obviously had some serious flaws with his size. Has had a couple of ok years in the A. So is this guy a classic power forward late bloomer with a legit shot to play or is he a solid AHL'er/4th line thrower? I must say I am very intrigued by this guy and am looking for a legit scouting report, even something from his draft year. Woodlief must have seen him.

Thanks
Edit: Where is he playing in CT, his stats seem to indicate he is getting a top 6 opportunity?

He's playing on the top line with Noob. I haven't seen the last two games because I'm very busy, so it may have changed, but that's where he was until this weekend.

He's decently tough, but not a heavy weight fighter. His skating is acceptable for a 4th liner, but he's obviously not as good as Kreider, Thomas, Bourque or even Jean.

He doesn't have a good shot from far away. I don't mean that it's bad (that would be Kyle Jean), but nothing to write home about. However, he's good at getting garbage goals. His hands around the net are good.

The reason he wasn't drafted is that at the age of 18, he had all of 7 points, then 15 points and then 20. He had over ppg in his last season, but he was already an over-ager and it is not uncommon for the physically more developed 21 year olds to run up stats, only to wind up in the ECHL. Look at Chris Chappell who also scored over a point per game in his overager year, and now he's playing in the fourth-tier Central Hockey League and has only half a point per game. He was having trouble even at the ECHL level.

This isn't true for Mash, of course, but his main problem isn't just late development, it's lack of hockey sense and in some cases common sense. Why would you carry the puck down the middle against multiple defenders when clearly you aren't Rick Nash.

When Mash keeps it simple, passes the puck safely in the neutral zone and then crashes the net, he's effective.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
I think CT will be better in the Pro game w/better talent than playing in th A.

First Kreider, now Thomas? Maybe the Rangers should me up? I think I would be really good with better talent than the scrubs who play in Chelsea, the Aviator or the Pavilion. They are holding me back.

This is like some sort of a disease on this board. Yes, let's call up every struggling minor leaguer under the theory that they only struggle only because of their line mates.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:57 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

Quote:
He's playing on the top line with Noob. I haven't seen the last two games because I'm very busy, so it may have changed, but that's where he was until this weekend.

He's decently tough, but not a heavy weight fighter. His skating is acceptable for a 4th liner, but he's obviously not as good as Kreider, Thomas, Bourque or even Jean.

He doesn't have a good shot from far away. I don't mean that it's bad (that would be Kyle Jean), but nothing to write home about. However, he's good at getting garbage goals. His hands around the net are good.

The reason he wasn't drafted is that at the age of 18, he had all of 7 points, then 15 points and then 20. He had over ppg in his last season, but he was already an over-ager and it is not uncommon for the physically more developed 21 year olds to run up stats, only to wind up in the ECHL. Look at Chris Chappell who also scored over a point per game in his overager year, and now he's playing in the fourth-tier Central Hockey League and has only half a point per game. He was having trouble even at the ECHL level.

This isn't true for Mash, of course, but his main problem isn't just late development, it's lack of hockey sense and in some cases common sense. Why would you carry the puck down the middle against multiple defenders when clearly you aren't Rick Nash.

When Mash keeps it simple, passes the puck safely in the neutral zone and then crashes the net, he's effective.
Thanks for the response Beacon. I covered the overage aspect in my original post. The jr. pts are not relevant, why does everything go back to pts. Obviously nobody saw any potential, was more wondering why. From your post it sounds like it was likely a bit of everything and it sounds like it still is. Poor hockey sense, below average skater and not tough enough to play a consistent 4th line heavy roll. You paint the picture of a career AHL/4th line tweener. Does he skate well enough to play a consistent shift on a 4th line in the show? At the AHL level his size, skating, hands and toughness offer a tantalizing package.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He can skate well enough for a 4th liner, but needs to specialize in something: fighting, being a pest, being a spark plug, something useful on the fourth line. He is like the Adam Graves of the AHL, but he wont be scoring tons of garbage goals in the NHL. He needs to become good at 4th line stuff.

Old
02-04-2013, 08:59 AM
E-Train

Mash is plenty tough to handle a 4th line role in the NHL. It's the other aspects of the game I hope he can be better than our current 4th line. Something like the Rupp of a few years ago. Good scrapper that can still pot a few goals. If his AHL scoring pace continues, I'd like to see him get the call in a few weeks.

Old
02-04-2013, 09:16 AM
NYR Viper

Mashinter would be more than able to handle himself against most heavies in the NHL. I don't worry about that side of his game. It's the forechecking and defensive play that he needs to be consistent at. The Rangers really need him to develop.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
NYR Viper

http://www.howlings.net/goal-shortag...ns/#more-20723

Very good write-up on the Whale's last game. Seems like the Whale have a serious influx of toughness with Mashinter, Wilson, Carrol and McIlrath (post-injury) adding to Haley.

Quote:
Dylan McIlrath, who’s game seems to get better each time he comes out on the ice, looked to fire up his teammates with a HUGE hit on Goloubef along the left wing boards. Tim Spencer immediately rushed at the rookie defenseman. But the young man with the nickname, “The Undertaker” won his heavyweight brawl and fired up both the bench and the crowd who were there for cub scouts night combined with a white out and free towel giveaway.
Quote:
Christian Thomas responded with a a great move coming off a break in pass and on his way to the net was mugged by Michael Chaput. The Whale’s Jason Wilson was having none of that and immediately jumped in for an exchange of fists. Wilson received an extra roughing call on the play which was certainly the kind of penalty teams don’t mind killing off.
Quote:
21 seconds after that goal, Michael Haley, all 5’11 (that’s what he’s listed at) and 204 pounds dropped the gloves with the 6-3 224-pound Prout and literally beat him bloody. It was a David and Goliath like fight and David is now 2-0.
Quote:
2:30 later, the Bonanza was played loud and clear when Tessier made a perfect home-run pass to Brandon Mashinter who looked like a runaway freight train as he broke in alone on McElhinney. Mashinter faked a low shot and went top shelf past the glove for his fifth of the season and third since joining the Whale.

Old
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

http://www.timesleader.com/stories/C...ocation,259348

good story on Kolarik the former Whale

Old
02-04-2013, 10:41 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
http://www.howlings.net/goal-shortag...ns/#more-20723

Very good write-up on the Whale's last game. Seems like the Whale have a serious influx of toughness with Mashinter, Wilson, Carrol and McIlrath (post-injury) adding to Haley.
(I'm heavily biased since I work for him ) But Mitch is definitely the best source on the Whale out there. It's amazing how hard he works to get content out. It's great.

Also, McIlrath is the man. Here's that fight:

Old
02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
(I'm heavily biased since I work for him ) But Mitch is definitely the best source on the Whale out there. It's amazing how hard he works to get content out. It's great.

Also, McIlrath is the man. Here's that fight:

Yeah Mitch is a great resource for everyone, especially if you can't get to the games.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
First Kreider, now Thomas? Maybe the Rangers should me up? I think I would be really good with better talent than the scrubs who play in Chelsea, the Aviator or the Pavilion. They are holding me back.

This is like some sort of a disease on this board. Yes, let's call up every struggling minor leaguer under the theory that they only struggle only because of their line mates.
Yeah, I agree we need to stop finding excuses for our prospects who are not producing in Hartford and exhibit a bit more patience and temper our expectations.

The AHL has proven a good measuring stick for prospects league-wide and there is no reason why our prospects should be any different.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

The real issue I'm seeing with the "analysis" around here as of late is that it seems to swing entirely to one side of the spectrum or the other. Very little "big picture" takes and mostly "He sucked tonight. He's overrated." followed by "He was amazing tonight! Call him up!"

These are kids. They don't need an "excuse" for not taking the same development path as everyone else. It's also important to note that the Whalepack lost a lot of talent this summer in Erixon, Redden, Zucc, and JAM. It's a tough situation for a bunch of greenhorns to step into.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:47 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The real issue I'm seeing with the "analysis" around here as of late is that it seems to swing entirely to one side of the spectrum or the other. Very little "big picture" takes and mostly "He sucked tonight. He's overrated." followed by "He was amazing tonight! Call him up!"

These are kids. They don't need an "excuse" for not taking the same development path as everyone else. It's also important to note that the Whalepack lost a lot of talent this summer in Erixon, Redden, Zucc, and JAM. It's a tough situation for a bunch of greenhorns to step into.
Not to mention in the beginning of the season they were playing against a lot of talent that had no business being in the AHL.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Mashinter would be more than able to handle himself against most heavies in the NHL. I don't worry about that side of his game. It's the forechecking and defensive play that he needs to be consistent at. The Rangers really need him to develop.

The issue isn't just "being able to handle himself", it's that he has to be really good at something to play in the NHL. Like Hagelin can skate. Brashear could beat his opponents into submission. P.J. Stock was a spark plug. Kasparaitis was a great pest. What's Mash good at? Yes, he's acceptable at everything: skating, shooting, fighting... but there's nothing makes him stand out. He needs to find that one skill and develop it.

Old
02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
The issue isn't just "being able to handle himself", it's that he has to be really good at something to play in the NHL. Like Hagelin can skate. Brashear could beat his opponents into submission. P.J. Stock was a spark plug. Kasparaitis was a great pest. What's Mash good at? Yes, he's acceptable at everything: skating, shooting, fighting... but there's nothing makes him stand out. He needs to find that one skill and develop it.
I don't think that is true though. If he is a decent heavyweight and can get around pretty well and forecheck and has the willingness to drive hard to the net that is his ticket to the 4th line.

Fighting, skating and forechecking need to be his ticket. He already has experience fighting some VERY tough guys and doing well.

Closed Thread