HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Stamkos actually getting better?

Old
02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
Sky04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkin112 View Post
You can write those guys off it was a completely different game back then. In the end i think its Lemiuex and Stamkos top-2 goal scorers of all time. If Stamkos continues this pace for 5-7 years then he is the best.
Why would you write those guys off and leave Lemiuex who played in the same era..

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Dangler99*

meh. Hasen't even hit 100 points yet.

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Stamkos stats, once again are inflated, look who he plays with! Top 3 RW in the NHL, MSL. This guy makes Stamkos that much better. I would like to see Stamkos with Kunitz and Dupuis and put up the same points.

malkin has neal, but hes no MSL. If Malkin or Crosby had MSL, they would put up 200pts.
Agreed, Stamkos is such a leech.

Should probably waive him, Thompson could fill in his spot on the top line just as easy as long as MSL is still there.

bassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalsfordinner View Post
meh. Hasen't even hit 100 points yet.
and the players he's "surpassing" had hit that mark multiple times by the age of 23.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
The guy is unreal. 7 goals 16 points in 8 games. He hasnt really had one stupid point night (vanek as example). He just produces every night. Can he actually improve production wise? Last year he had 60 goals 97 points. Anyone think he can go over a 60 goal pace 100 points over 82 this season. Hes turning 23 this month and realistically an elite player is at his peak between 22-25 as an average.

The real question is. Can he be a legit threat to be the new number 1 in the nhl? What would he have to do in your opinion? Score 40 goals? 70 points? Art ross? Rocket richard? Mvp? All three? Win a cup? What will it take? It seems like hes on the verge of number 1, considering what he has done in the last 3 years at such a youg age.

Sorry if there is a thread on him. I looked and didnt see one and thought he deserved it. Its still to early but hes showing signs that he could possibly dethrone crosby and malkin.
I think he's an amazing player, but Crosby/Malkin have 7 100 pt seasons between them and are only 25/26 years old themselves. I think Stamkos still has a bit to prove before he's put on their level.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:36 AM
Chimp

Stamkos has a nose for the net and an unreal shot, probably the best in the league. But, he's not a gamebreaker. He's not the guy that can deke past a defenseman, so it's not exactly like he's the complete package. He can put himself in good positions, but he needs someone to feed him the puck.

He's an incredible goal scorer, but doesn't contribute to his team with much else. He's a generational goal scorer, but not a generational hockey player, if you know what I mean. But, who wouldn't want a generational goal scorer on your team?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Dangler99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
and the players he's "surpassing" had hit that mark multiple times by the age of 23.
Exactly. By the age of 22 Crosby had 4. Malkin had 2. Plus Art Ross's and MVP's so....

Dangler99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
He's an incredible goal scorer, but doesn't contribute to his team with much else. He's a generational goal scorer, but not a generational hockey player, if you know what I mean.
Brett Hull? Only Stamkos is a much better skater

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Malkin112

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Brett Hull?
He is much better than Brett Hull

Malkin112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
boredmale

Quote:
He is much better than Brett Hull
I don't think it's a coincidence Brett Hull's career though started to go down a bit once Oates was out of the equation. But during that period he had 2-3 amazing seasons

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Malkin112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Stamkos has a nose for the net and an unreal shot, probably the best in the league. But, he's not a gamebreaker. He's not the guy that can deke past a defenseman, so it's not exactly like he's the complete package. He can put himself in good positions, but he needs someone to feed him the puck.

He's an incredible goal scorer, but doesn't contribute to his team with much else. He's a generational goal scorer, but not a generational hockey player, if you know what I mean. But, who wouldn't want a generational goal scorer on your team?
Maybe you should watch him play once in a while. Tampa was about 20 PP goals last year and still Stamkos had 60 goals. It was best EV goal scoring season ever.

Malkin112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Stamkos is scary, sometimes I think it's lost on people just how rididculously good of a goal scorer the kid is. Stamkos is 2nd only to Gretzky in goals scored in the NHL at his age.
At that age Crosby was second only to Gretzky in assists and 4th all time in PPG and continues to be 4th all time in PPG even at this age. This shows it was no fluke. I'd say Stamkos is third in the league behind Crosby and Malkin but he's definitely up there. I personally think that Tavares and Stamkos are currently fighting for number 3 and once they start getting older, we may see them dethrone Crosby or Malkin but as of now, in my opinion, they are not quite there.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCobraZ View Post
At that age Crosby was second only to Gretzky in assists and 4th all time in PPG and continues to be 4th all time in PPG even at this age. This shows it was no fluke. I'd say Stamkos is third in the league behind Crosby and Malkin but he's definitely up there. I personally think that Tavares and Stamkos are currently fighting for number 3 and once they start getting older, we may see them dethrone Crosby or Malkin but as of now, in my opinion, they are not quite there.
Tavares is great but Stamkos is easily above him right now.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
icerocket

The constant increase in speed and strength leads me to believe he is on PEDs.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Maybe you should watch him play once in a while. Tampa was about 20 PP goals last year and still Stamkos had 60 goals. It was best EV goal scoring season ever.
Did I question his goal scoring ability? No. What other tools other than his shot does he have to change the momentum of the game? His hitting? His dominant defensive play? His passing? Beating one or even two players one on one? His puck possession skills?

It's not like these kind of players grow on trees, but let's not pretend Stamkos is the complete package here. Not that he will get many complaints with that shot.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
The only thing keeping Stamkos from breaking most of Gretzkys career total records, is future work stoppages

He still training with Gary Roberts?

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
16 To Stanley*

Points aren't everything. Stamkos is great, but hockey is a rounded game. I just don't see his defensive game all there and he doesn't quite control play like Malkin and Crosby. There are a few guys in the league who just create a buzz when they have the puck. LIke you KNOW something is going to happen every time they touch it. I don't feel that with Stamkos. To be quite honest, I actually think MSL is a better player.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
SinfulCobraZ
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Points aren't everything. Stamkos is great, but hockey is a rounded game. I just don't see his defensive game all there and he doesn't quite control play like Malkin and Crosby. There are a few guys in the league who just create a buzz when they have the puck. LIke you KNOW something is going to happen every time they touch it. I don't feel that with Stamkos. To be quite honest, I actually think MSL is a better player.
Honestly I feel that way too sometimes. I thought it was just me.

SinfulCobraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post

He still training with Gary Roberts?
All day, every day. Stamkos one-timed donuts into Kadri's mouth all summer

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
The guy is unreal. 7 goals 16 points in 8 games. He hasnt really had one stupid point night (vanek as example). He just produces every night. Can he actually improve production wise? Last year he had 60 goals 97 points. Anyone think he can go over a 60 goal pace 100 points over 82 this season. Hes turning 23 this month and realistically an elite player is at his peak between 22-25 as an average.

The real question is. Can he be a legit threat to be the new number 1 in the nhl? What would he have to do in your opinion? Score 40 goals? 70 points? Art ross? Rocket richard? Mvp? All three? Win a cup? What will it take? It seems like hes on the verge of number 1, considering what he has done in the last 3 years at such a youg age.

Sorry if there is a thread on him. I looked and didnt see one and thought he deserved it. Its still to early but hes showing signs that he could possibly dethrone crosby and malkin.
Great PP guy.. How many of the 16 point are on the PP ?

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM
First Ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
But tanking for the top picks doesn't equal success. AmIright?
Not when you trade your top picks to Boston.

First Ballot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 To Stanley View Post
Stamkos is not a dynamic player. He is the best goalscorer, probably highest offensive hockey IQ in the game. He is ALWAYS open, ALWAYS in the right spot.

Stamkos doesn't drive the flow of the game when he's on the ice. He will have a longer dominant career because his game is relatively quiet and he doesn't attract a ton of abuse or attraction because he isn't always on the puck. Guys like Crosby and Malkin are more dynamic players and dominate the puck - but that comes with consequences in that they have to endure the physical abuse from D men as they carry the puck. Stamkos, on the other hand, just gets open and fires away. Obviously, Stamkos's play is more reliant on other players.

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Great PP guy.. How many of the 16 point are on the PP ?

Averaging an ESP and PPP a game

Old
02-03-2013, 11:30 AM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sour Shoes View Post
Brilliant.

But I don't see how that is relevant.

Is Ovechkin the same player as he was then? No

Stamkos is better at present, no one is arguing career wise right now.

Otherwise the best player in the league is Jagr or Brodeur or you get the idea. Career gives you a good idea of what they are capable of sure, but not necessarily what they are doing now so I don't see its relevance in this discussion.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassin View Post
Agreed, Stamkos is such a leech.

Should probably waive him, Thompson could fill in his spot on the top line just as easy as long as MSL is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Stamkos is not a dynamic player. He is the best goalscorer, probably highest offensive hockey IQ in the game. He is ALWAYS open, ALWAYS in the right spot.

Stamkos doesn't drive the flow of the game when he's on the ice. He will have a longer dominant career because his game is relatively quiet and he doesn't attract a ton of abuse or attraction because he isn't always on the puck. Guys like Crosby and Malkin are more dynamic players and dominate the puck - but that comes with consequences in that they have to endure the physical abuse from D men as they carry the puck. Stamkos, on the other hand, just gets open and fires away. Obviously, Stamkos's play is more reliant on other players.
This.

Some people in here saying that when Stamkos is on the ice they don't feel anything's going to happen... I bet most of the teams that got some of those 60 goals last year disagree with you.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote