HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery wins: 3-2

Old
02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Recoil

vCash: 500
Saad is showing up too, but I'm starting to see a little frustration in him regarding not registering a point. He is almost looking a bit like Frolik did in his slump last season. Still, there were a couple times he made the right call and pulled back (something Jack Skille never seemed to do). I'm also impressed so far with Saad's two-way play. I think he's gotta be a keeper at this point, even after Carcillo returns. I'd just like to see him get on the scoreboard here soon.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:24 AM
stingo

It's going to take 10 or 12 games, but Saad is going to put one in, one of these games. He won't be so snake bitten then.

Emery was great last night. We had no business winning that game, but he kept us in it.

stingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Gotta love stealing 2 points. The Hawks looked absolutely flat all night.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:58 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixons Dad View Post
Fun game tonight guys. Really enjoyed the game, although not the result of course.

Wanna trade teams?

As a fan of the team sitting in fifteenth, I would recommend you enjoy your team's success more.

You are talking about a first place team that hasn't lost in regulation and just stole a game at the end of a 3 game in 4 night stretch, come on now.
Our board is full of 'Sky is Falling, Fire Everyone' fans

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by committedindian86 View Post
Our board is full of 'Sky is Falling, Fire Everyone' fans
Which is hilarious to me, given we have yet to lose in Regulation or OT. Yes, we have had some luck on our side, but you don't string together this many points without getting some luck (or in last night's case, maybe more than our share of it).

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
RomersWorld*

I don't consider this a "win" just as I didn't consider the games against Canucks and Wild "losses". The shootout is a gong show anyways and doesn't matter to me. It is great because you get the extra point and your record is better. It really doesn't tell you anything about your team IMO.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomersWorld View Post
I don't consider this a "win" just as I didn't consider the games against Canucks and Wild "losses". The shootout is a gong show anyways and doesn't matter to me. It is great because you get the extra point and your record is better. It really doesn't tell you anything about your team IMO.
It does tell you who is good on breakaways. The performance by Emery was almost as impressive as the game he played. He has struggled in the past in SO's.

And Kane is so much more dangerous when he has some speed one on one.

SO's can be frustrating when you lose, but these players already play too much hockey in any regular season and flights must be caught. It is the only way to eliminate ties. We should be thankful for it last night. The team wasn't about to play more OT and be effective.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 02-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.
BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Tiagopx

Emery was absolutely great, would like to see him starting the game next tuesday.

PS: New Hawks fan in the forum (me)

Tiagopx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
madgoat33

missed the game since I had work early this morning.

From the sound of it all I missed was a chance to rip some hair out.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
It does tell you who is good on breakaways. The performance by Emery was almost as impressive as the game he played. He has struggled in the past in SO's.

And Kane is so much more dangerous when he has some speed one on one.
I'm not so sure about that. Some guys that are typically good on breakaways are not good in shootouts. Hossa is typically pretty good on a breakaway but is horrible in SO's. Hawks dominated VC in OT but lost in the shootout, last night the opposite was true.

My main takeaway is the Hawks have had more games than pretty much anyone, all but 2 on the road. They are 7-0-2 against some solid teams during that stretch.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Saad is showing up too, but I'm starting to see a little frustration in him regarding not registering a point..
Me too and as I said before, Q must tread carefully with Saad and make sure he doesn't lose confidence in his offensive ability. It can be a fine line.

Toews is a great player but for a reason I can't quite pinpoint, some players have trouble playing with him. Stalberg went through a similar spell on his wing and never really produced there like I would have expected. Maybe, just maybe, a stint with Kane might work to get Saad his first goal.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:35 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
I'm not so sure about that. Some guys that are typically good on breakaways are not good in shootouts. Hossa is typically pretty good on a breakaway but is horrible in SO's. Hawks dominated VC in OT but lost in the shootout, last night the opposite was true.

My main takeaway is the Hawks have had more games than pretty much anyone, all but 2 on the road. They are 7-0-2 against some solid teams during that stretch.
Yeah, I hear ya. On a breakaway instinct rules - you don't have time to think about it.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Hawkaholic

Just watched the shootout again, Kane didn't even celebrate after he scored and looked pissed off, and when Emery made that final save, aside from guys cheering for Emery, nobody celebrated the victory. Emery just gave a small fist pump, and not one guy looked please at all.

I think they know they are in for a bag skate, and a lashing from the coaching staff! Good to see they care at least, good signs for an excellent hockey club. This year is sort of reminding me of 08-09. I don't think they are there (09-10) yet, but will do some damage.

Go Sugar Ray Emery!!!

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiagopx View Post
Emery was absolutely great, would like to see him starting the game next tuesday.

Welcome!

Emery had a fine game but it was just one game. Can't overreact just like in his first game where he struggled (and half of this board was on his case).

Q should return to the original plan which likely called for CC to play against SJ (unless of course his plan all along was to play the hot goalie, as it should be, imo).

Old
02-03-2013, 12:50 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Just watched the shootout again, Kane didn't even celebrate after he scored and looked pissed off, and when Emery made that final save, aside from guys cheering for Emery, nobody celebrated the victory. Emery just gave a small fist pump, and not one guy looked please at all.

I think they know they are in for a bag skate, and a lashing from the coaching staff! Good to see they care at least, good signs for an excellent hockey club. This year is sort of reminding me of 08-09. I don't think they are there (09-10) yet, but will do some damage.

Go Sugar Ray Emery!!!
Why would they get bag skated or a "lashing"? It was their 3rd game in 4 nights, on back-to-back nights and they've gone to OT in each of their last 4 games. They were tired. They got outplayed for, really, the first time in the season against a rested team, that had only played 1 game in the past 6 days.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:54 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Why would they get bag skated or a "lashing"? It was their 3rd game in 4 nights, on back-to-back nights and they've gone to OT in each of their last 4 games. They were tired. They got outplayed for, really, the first time in the season against a rested team, that had only played 1 game in the past 6 days.
My reaction as well. The non emotional Hawks was likely more a continuation of the exhaustion. They were all bagged, plus they knew they stole a win and were not the better team that night - but a bag skate. No way!

Old
02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Gurth

Blackhawks Forums - Land of the Perpetual Overreaction

All of a sudden everybody loves Emery. Awesome.

The next time he gives up 5 on 25 shots everyone will be calling for Stan to do something

He's not gonna start against San Jose. He had a great game and did his job of stepping in every once in a while to give the starter a rest.

Good for him. I'm rooting for him to have success - both for himself and for the team. Was just one game though.

The mood swings around sometimes here are worse than a teenage girl.

Gurth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Quote:

Welcome! I'll have a Vinho do Porto to celebrate.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Never expected to see Emery playing that great. Still love the way our PK plays. Not sure if Emery can repeat that style of game but that was the first game in forever our goalie has stolen the game for us.

Think we should start Crawford again. He played great and is our starter. Emery with more games like this and he will earn more playing time.

Quote:
welcome

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Shell-shocked watching that game...could not believe my eyes watching 30 stop shot after shot!
Does he get the net again in San Jose? I think so.

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:21 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurth View Post
Blackhawks Forums - Land of the Perpetual Overreaction

All of a sudden everybody loves Emery. Awesome.

The next time he gives up 5 on 25 shots everyone will be calling for Stan to do something

He's not gonna start against San Jose. He had a great game and did his job of stepping in every once in a while to give the starter a rest.

Good for him. I'm rooting for him to have success - both for himself and for the team. Was just one game though.

The mood swings around sometimes here are worse than a teenage girl.
Well said. The other thing is strong goalie play is contagious and both of them should be able to play off one another. Crawford is starting in San Jose as he should. He's been playing great as well.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:22 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
Yeah bag skate is nonsense. They had no legs. I mean it certainly wasn't a great game for anyone but Emery but the defense did do a good job of clearing rebounds and blocking shots in front of Ray. There were a lot of loose pucks in front of net that Hawks did good job of clearing, as well. Hawks couldn't complete a pass and forwards just made a ton of horrible decisions in neutral zone and at Calgary's blue line that made things a real headache for the D.

It was a tough game but encouraging in some areas. Gives you a bit of confidence in Emery to say, here's a guy that...maybe you can throw him out there a bit more often to give Crawford rest....

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFIP View Post
Does he get the net again in San Jose? I think so.
I think you are wrong.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Callidusblackhawk

I feel like the only thing a bad-skate would accomplish in this shortened season is a repeat of this performance...

Callidusblackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:26 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
They were tired because they are out of shape, a bag skate puts them more in shape for later in the season. Being tired isn't an excuse in the NHL, when every pt is important, your players should be able to compete for every minute. I could understand if it was game 70, but this is game 9, you shouldn't be getting dominated by a team like Calgary no matter the circumstances. Rest can come later in the season when it is more needed.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote