HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Game 8 | Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D (HD) ‎

Old
02-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Kshahdoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Redmond View Post
It's like the hockey gods hate us.
Yeah, especially in that game vs Blues...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:02 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Columbus is a good team. Their stats don't back it up but they can compete with the top teams in the league. We've beat up on them for so long that it's impossible for some fans to respect they can win. Johnson played 35 minutes, set a 7 year record for TOI. Blue Jackets played us hard, close, and Bobrovski was also good in net.
Not to add insult to injury but that was MASON in goal. I know hard to believe but it was.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:59 AM
Bench
Realgud!

On the upside, Brunner with 4 goals in his first 8 NHL games. That's pretty impressive.

And Franzen with another goal. That's points in 6 out of 8 games for Franzen. He's off to a hot start.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:10 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
On the upside, Brunner with 4 goals in his first 8 NHL games. That's pretty impressive.

And Franzen with another goal. That's points in 6 out of 8 games for Franzen. He's off to a hot start.
Oooor you can look at it as:

Brunner with two "useless" goals with a goal with 3 seconds left when opponent leading 2-0, and a goal with 30secs left when opponent leading 4-1.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:23 AM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

Brunner with two "useless" goals with a goal with 3 seconds left when opponent leading 2-0, and a goal with 30secs left when opponent leading 4-1.
To counter your counter-argument: sure, those 2 goals didn't seal a win or push a game to OT, but maybe it continues to give the guy confidence to keep shooting, which is something this team needs to do more of, especially the skill guys.

Would have been weird in either case for him to pull a Bertuzzi blind drop pass instead of taking the shot, and then in the post-game interview say that he didn't bother shooting b/c the goal wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

You're not going to ruin my Sunday morning buzz!

You can degrade the goals all you want, but he's an undrafted 27-year-old player from Switzerland who is scoring NHL goals. That's impressive and surprising no matter how much negativity you spin on it.

As somebody who expected him to struggle, I'm surprised he's doing so well. The way he's playing is NHL quality and he'll have a professional NHL career now. That's awesome for him. It's a great story. It's part of why I love sports.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:

You can degrade the goals all you want, but he's an undrafted 27-year-old player from Switzerland who is scoring NHL goals. That's impressive and surprising no matter how much negativity you spin on it.

As somebody who expected him to struggle, I'm surprised he's doing so well. The way he's playing is NHL quality and he'll have a professional NHL career now. That's awesome for him. It's a great story. It's part of why I love sports.
That's it, Bench! I'm with you in the buzz!

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:31 AM
InjuredChoker

Bad game, well deserved loss. Howie looked like he needed rest. D was brutal. Forwards kept turning the puck over. I think they may have taken Columbus too lightly, again. Or just tired from last night.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Flowah
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Bad game, well deserved loss. Howie looked like he needed rest. D was brutal. Forwards kept turning the puck over. I think they may have taken Columbus too lightly, again. Or just tired from last night.
Neither. The team's just not that good. The Red Wings are too professional and veteran to "take a team lightly." They know they can lose to or beat any team on any given night. And "tired"? Come on. Are we going to use that excuse for 11 more losses this season?

Flowah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Neither. The team's just not that good. The Red Wings are too professional and veteran to "take a team lightly." They know they can lose to or beat any team on any given night. And "tired"? Come on. Are we going to use that excuse for 11 more losses this season?
Nope, but it's going to be a reason, especially after a special game like Friday night. You can take a team seriously, but if you don't have the legs to skate it won't matter. On the other hand, Wings played Blues on their back half of a back to back and no one here is going to feel sorry for the Blues. It's not an excuse but it's the reality for all teams. What it comes down to in games like that is to simplify and and not make too many mistakes, and the Wings did a really poor job with that.

Here's some telling stats:
Blocked shots: CBJ 16, DET 5.
Hits: CJB 29, DET 11.
Takeaways: CBJ 10, DET 4.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Nope, but it's going to be a reason, especially after a special game like Friday night. You can take a team seriously, but if you don't have the legs to skate it won't matter. On the other hand, Wings played Blues on their back half of a back to back and no one here is going to feel sorry for the Blues. It's not an excuse but it's the reality for all teams. What it comes down to in games like that is to simplify and and not make too many mistakes, and the Wings did a really poor job with that.

Here's some telling stats:
Blocked shots: CBJ 16, DET 5.
Hits: CJB 29, DET 11.
Takeaways: CBJ 10, DET 4.
Worth noting: the scorekeepers at the Nat historically have had a tendency to overcount hits.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

Ah yes, the inspiring story of Damien Toucan Sam Brunner, who somehow survived his child-star fame - known to many as the bird in the breakfast cereal commercials -- overcame his impaired vision (impaired by his nose) and became an NHL hockey player

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
DRWCountryClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Ah yes, the inspiring story of Damien Toucan Sam Brunner, who somehow survived his child-star fame - known to many as the bird in the breakfast cereal commercials -- overcame his impaired vision (impaired by his nose) and became an NHL hockey player
Sounds like somebody is jealous.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Bob might have a sweet tooth for these kid's cereals. The avatar, the constant Fruit Loops references. And I swear every argument he huffs off mumbling about his lucky charms.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:10 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
Bob might have a sweet tooth for these kid's cereals. The avatar, the constant Fruit Loops references. And I swear every argument he huffs off mumbling about his lucky charms.

Toucan Sam is a hero to many.

Not me, of course.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote