HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you happy with Dubnyk in net now and in the future?

View Poll Results: are you happy with dubnyk in net?
yes 78 26.44%
no 81 27.46%
will give him one more year 68 23.05%
too early to tell, he is sill developing 48 16.27%
Oilers need a backup who can play more games to give him a break 20 6.78%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2013, 06:31 PM
rockinghockey

vCash: 500
This is his firstyear as the stating goalie, he seems to be doing fine, he will have some bad games but will learn from it.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:23 AM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
DD still has alot to prove, but he is also still developing. I honestly couldn't tell you if this is the goalie that will take the Oilers all the way to the cup. He is developing nicely, and the price of getting a proven number one will take away at least one player from our top line, or Yakupov. No Way! DD is the man, and he will either make it or break it over the next two seasons. If he can't prove it by then, then the Oilers will have some hard decisions, or maybe Yan Denis will be a pleasant surprise.

I will tell you this, I like DD in net alot better than I did Salo, Shtalenkov, Markkannen, Conklin, Passmore, and a few others not worth mentioning. By bringing up that list, I can honestly tell you DD is better than any of those guys, and sits more in my estimation of Roloson, Garon. To bad Garon and Roloson both disappeared after great seasons. hopefully DD won't disappear, but continue to progress, and become a reliable number one. Although he plays the most important position on this team, he is not the only that decides if they win or lose, he needs help from his defence, and offence doesn't hurt either.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
I see only darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
Dubs is a good goalie. My personal problem with him is he never makes the big save. Where you say man that was a sure goal that he robbed.

Everyone lets in bad goals here and there but Dubs lets far to many of them in. Almost at a rate of 1 per game.
He sure showed me against the sharks how wrong I was. He made at least 2 saves that were sure fire goals. Hopefully this continues

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
lakai17

vCash: 543
Dubnyk is a boss.

Quit Hating!!!

Get Potter out of the organization.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 11:36 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

I think he's earned a look until TDD. Needs to get his rebounds under control though. To many times when the opposing teams get us hemmed in our zone and he doesn't slow down the play.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 07:32 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Another above average game for Dubey as some would say.

4 in a row and 6 out of 8 games total.

6 good games
1 average game
1 poor game

4-3-1, 2.53 GAA, 0.925sv%, also leads the league in shots against and saves.

Last edited by nabob: 02-02-2013 at 07:39 PM.
nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 08:45 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

If Dubnyk keeps playing like he has (even including the crapshow vs the Sharks which was a team failure) I've got no problem anointing him as the Oilers #1 goalie for at least the near future. Now they just have to work on getting a decent back up this summer.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 02-03-2013 at 03:05 AM. Reason: spelling
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:55 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
He could play his angles better but the reason that goaltenders are good these days (as opposed to the eighties) is that they drop on every shot. If he has his angle down and someone can put a puck over his 6'5 shoulder, more power to him.
That's exactly what happened on both goals against in the shootout loss to SJ.

How to approach DD in the shootout is so painfully obvious I don't think the Oil will win another shootout game this year with him in net.

Not hatin', and I would dearly love to be proven wrong.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:24 AM
Ragss

Yeah, there was one shootout last year I think where 2 or 3 shooters used the exact same deke to high stick side and they all went in.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:33 AM
Chooch

Hopefully he doesn't crack, the guy has been having to stand on his head as of late (actually, when doesn't this team require a goaltender to do that every-game) and you could only do that for so long before you have a bad game, he's only human.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
DD still has alot to prove, but he is also still developing. I honestly couldn't tell you if this is the goalie that will take the Oilers all the way to the cup. He is developing nicely, and the price of getting a proven number one will take away at least one player from our top line, or Yakupov. No Way! DD is the man, and he will either make it or break it over the next two seasons. If he can't prove it by then, then the Oilers will have some hard decisions, or maybe Yan Denis will be a pleasant surprise.

I will tell you this, I like DD in net alot better than I did Salo, Shtalenkov, Markkannen, Conklin, Passmore, and a few others not worth mentioning. By bringing up that list, I can honestly tell you DD is better than any of those guys, and sits more in my estimation of Roloson, Garon. To bad Garon and Roloson both disappeared after great seasons. hopefully DD won't disappear, but continue to progress, and become a reliable number one. Although he plays the most important position on this team, he is not the only that decides if they win or lose, he needs help from his defence, and offence doesn't hurt either.
Roloson didn't exactly disappear after Edmonton. He played very well until last year.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

One thing I like to look at is Even Strength Save percentage.

Dubnyk is 4th overall at 0.922. Guys ahead of him are Anderson, Miller, and Bryz.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Roloson didn't exactly disappear after Edmonton. He played very well until last year.
In the 2007–08 season, Roloson started out strong before seeing his record fall to 7–12–0. By early January 2008, backup goaltender Mathieu Garon had taken the reins as starter. It wasn't until March 13, 2008, that Roloson had seen regular play, coming in as relief for an injured Garon, starting each subsequent game.

That, from Wikipedia. I was talking about Roloson's years with the Oilers only. I know he played well for Tampa after that, but, this is about Oilers goalies, not how they played elsewhere, after that.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Dubnyk

I am officially sold.

0.925 sv%, on 298 Shots against...

515 minutes played, highest in the league.

Dubnyk is a warrior, while the rest of the team barely shows up.

Imagine if we had solid D and centers that were consistently above 50% in faceoffs?

I doubt we can trade for a goalie that will stand on his head for us like Dub does.

Aceonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 02:54 AM
Soundwave

I'm not a 110% sold but feeling more comfortable.

Both Canuck goals in regulation were kinda weak even if he did stop a lot of other shots.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:04 AM
#ualberta

He's playing very very well right now but still manages to let in a weak one a little to often

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Nikolai Khabibulin - 7 games - .960 sv% - 1.12 GGA - from the start of the season last year

Better to assess at the end of the season, it's still a bit early yet to declare him a solid number 1. Lot of hockey left to play, and it could get ugly if Dubnyk slumps with how poor the Oiler's defense can be at times.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
I am officially sold.

0.925 sv%, on 298 Shots against...

515 minutes played, highest in the league.

Dubnyk is a warrior, while the rest of the team barely shows up.

Imagine if we had solid D and centers that were consistently above 50% in faceoffs?

I doubt we can trade for a goalie that will stand on his head for us like Dub does.

There is only so much a goalie can do after he is forced to play the way he does every night in order to give this team a chance. If he has a bad game in the near future, i won't fault him at all.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:12 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Nikolai Khabibulin - 7 games - .960 sv% - 1.12 GGA - from the start of the season last year

Better to assess at the end of the season, it's still a bit early yet to declare him a solid number 1. Lot of hockey left to play, and it could get ugly if Dubnyk slumps with how poor the Oiler's defense can be at times.
i agree with this.
good for him, though. because some times he looks amazing. some times he looks like a silly oaf kitty cat on bad goals.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Lessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

Dubnyk was pretty lights out in the second half last year. At the very least I think everyone on here can agree that he's a serviceable #1 goalie for this team right now. There are more pressing needs that need to be filled than starting goaltending.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Petro Points

Dubnyk is good enough to keep us in games and give us a chance to win.. I am not going to expect him to be much more than that and neither should others..

He'll make big saves... he'll let in weak goals... but overall for what he makes he is a good option for us going forward.

No need to hype him up... hopefully he just goes about his business and carves out a career for himself.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
On the one hand, he still needs to work on his angles/keeping dialed in for a full 60 minutes. On the other hand, the reactionary saves he's making are world class, to such an extent that if he can ever get the more technical side of his game down he can be one of the best goaltenders in the league.

As baffling as it may be: you probably have a better chance of scoring on him from a bad angle perimeter shot than you do on a cross crease passing play. Unfortunately for him and us, with the amount of video work done these days, every opposition team knows this and is going to spend the foreseeable future trying to handcuff him with a bad angle shot.

I hope he and Freddie Chabot are cognizant of this and are ready to put in the work to fix the problem because if they aren't, and Dubey starts letting in lots of "softies," there is going to be a ****-storm in this town of Horcoffian proportions.

Last edited by worraps: 02-05-2013 at 11:22 AM.
worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 10:25 AM
CoopALoop

I'd be pretty damn excited about Dubnyk. Based off of last year and so far in this short season, he has looked really good and solid.

Weak goals are going to happen. If we are to take a bubble look at just last nights performance, the first goal he should have had. Not being tight up against the post from that angle was pretty tough to see.

The second goal seemed weak, but the trajectory and deflection would have fooled any all star goalie.

If DD can keep up this performance (which I don't think is humanely possible), i'd be very excited about that state of your goaltending. Even if he does falter and comes back to reality, I'd still be pretty pleased knowing you guys will have a solid body between the pipes for the years to come.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Oilin Toronto

Just to be clear...I wasn't sold on DD at the beginning of the year. However, let's get real guys...you cannot expect more from a goalie than what he's given this year thus far. Not only did we not deserve to get a pt from yesterday's game, one could argue that we could very easily have only won 1 game this whole year if it wasn't for DD.

DD has had the most shots directed his way, and some of the shots against have been point blank shots, or defensive giveaways at close range. Our two defensive giveaways against Col cost us a win there as well.

Please don't use DD as a scapegoat when clearly we haven't had any scoring from the 3rd or 4th lines this year, and the 1st line has disappeared the last couple of games.

IMO he's been much better than I expected. My only issue with him is that he seems to be tempramental, and gets down on himself very quickly. I just hope he doesn't lose his confidence. Judging from the way our D has been playing, it's only a matter of time before DD loses it.

I hope I'm wrong!!!!

Oilin Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 12:34 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Overall been pretty happy with him - couldn't ask him to be better, quite honestly.

And the SJ/LA games were great.

I'm not too concerned about the weak goals where he's not covering the post- Horseradish or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but that's more of a tactical thing he just needs to work on.

His positioning and rebound control have been much, much better.

And I'm not overly worried about the skills competition.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote