HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most well balanced habs team since 07/08?

Old
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
pine

vCash: 50
I like the solid 1-2-3 punch of Plekanec - Chucky -David

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:01 AM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The real question is: Have we rebuilt enough? And maybe we have. We have key young players at key positions and it just might be enough.

And I think offense is really going to be the question. If we don't have the Galchenyuk line... I'd be far more skeptical. Bourque (and even to a certain extent Plekanec) have both struggled with consistency. Cole is coming off a career year (that I don't think anyone felt he could repeat) and DD is still pretty unproven. That line was going to start facing tougher checking and there are question marks on both those lines.

You add a point per game center and winger in addition to what we have though? Huge difference. Even if teams put their checkers out against Galchenyuk, it's going to open up ice for the other lines and all of a sudden DD and his group might see some more open ice.

I'd still like to stack the deck for the future but there's no denying that the team looks great right now (easy schedule aside.)
Depth is a big issue, especially in terms of scoring forwards. No help left on the farm, really. The D depth is better, hopefully enough to keep Tinordi or Beaulieu from being needed much this year. To me the additions of the Gallys are indeed huge, but I expect rookies to be inconsistent, so I'll be surprised if they can keep up this rate of productions. The change that really impresses me is the coaching. Team's been ready to play from puck drop this year, almost every game.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Some of us have been killing ourselves saying that with the injured players coming back, all this team needed was a bit more grit and sandpaper, and a system that's not smothering offense. Martin wasn't using the team's speed, no stretch passes to keep the opposition's defense honest, and had all five players in the slot. Mostly, he didn't believe in toughness which cost him in Ottawa against the Leafs year in, year out, and made the Habs soft as butter.

I'd say the biggest difference is in management and coaching!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:16 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The real question is: Have we rebuilt enough? And maybe we have. We have key young players at key positions and it just might be enough.

And I think offense is really going to be the question. If we don't have the Galchenyuk line... I'd be far more skeptical. Bourque (and even to a certain extent Plekanec) have both struggled with consistency. Cole is coming off a career year (that I don't think anyone felt he could repeat) and DD is still pretty unproven. That line was going to start facing tougher checking and there are question marks on both those lines.

You add a point per game center and winger in addition to what we have though? Huge difference. Even if teams put their checkers out against Galchenyuk, it's going to open up ice for the other lines and all of a sudden DD and his group might see some more open ice.

I'd still like to stack the deck for the future but there's no denying that the team looks great right now (easy schedule aside.)
Winning teams have a good young core but ALSO veterans who know how to play the game.

The young elite core of
Price
Subban
Pacioretty
Galchenyuk

and secondary young players like
Gallagher (possible addition to core as time unfolds)
Emelin (possible addition to core as time unfolds)
Diaz
Desharnais
Eller
White

are supported by really good not overly-old vets like
Markov
Plekanec
Gorges
Gionta
Cole (still draws penalties and is a threat)

and experienced secondary vets like
Bourque
Prust
Bouillon
Moen
Budaj
Armstrong (spare?)

It is a pretty good balance. If Galchenyuk and Subban take it to the next level, as Price already seems to be doing, yes we may have rebuilt enough.

On the farm and coming, there is still
Leblanc
Tinordi
Beaulieu
Ellis
Bournival
Colberg

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
We still haven't even seen this team with Pacioretty AND Subban either.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Winning teams have a good young core but ALSO veterans who know how to play the game.
Nobody denies this.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Conflicted Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quite the turn around from last year's record that's for sure. What's amazing is that most of the roster is composed of players from last year. I thought last year our draft players will mature into making a great team, but actually it's this year. Galchenyuk is going to be a beautiful player

Conflicted Habs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:20 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
In 07-08 if the Kovalev line wasn't on its game, then our chances of winning were slim. It seems with this lineup that if a couple of guys aren't playing well we still have a chance.
My thoughts as well. I have been waiting for a team of this nature for a while now.

The one thing that really surprised me is the compete level on this team. We had a couple of floaters in Gomez and Cammalleri last season. Now, for the most part, we have a team than battles hard and will not quit. In other words, the team is motivated and working hard on the ice.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:25 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

"The getting ahead of ourselves edition"

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

This year is probably the best shot the Habs will have to win the Stanley Cup in the next 5 years. The Habs have a lot of depth and a lot of underpay players like Eller, Desharnais, Gallagher, Subban, Emelin and Diaz. If the Habs are top 4 and healthy by the trade deadline I think the Team should try to get another to 6 player like Perry in order to win the Stanley Cup.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:35 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
"The getting ahead of ourselves edition"
Beyond the record, one has to have the ability to see the change in attitude, system and philosophy.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
My thoughts as well. I have been waiting for a team of this nature for a while now.

The one thing that really surprised me is the compete level on this team. We had a couple of floaters in Gomez and Cammalleri last season. Now, for the most part, we have a team than battles hard and will not quit. In other words, the team is motivated and working hard on the ice.
Cammalleri was definitely a floater but Gomez always gave an effort, but it was usually for nought.

I'm not sure it has to do with the players but the team as a whole. Bourque is so much more involved this year, Diaz and Emelin are showing that they learned a lot last season, and everyone is generally working hard. I think it has to do with the coaching. I have a feeling that Therrien is better at getting more out of his players than some of our past coaches. Who knows it it'll last but it's pretty good now.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:53 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeker View Post
The thing i like the most is that we have 3 solid lines who can score.
We may not have a clear number 1 line but instead we have 3 number 2.
Our defense is sharp , best defensive corps in years
Add to that , one of the best goalie in the league.
This team looks really promising

Someone pinch me...Markov (healthy) and Subban (not traded/signed for dirt cheap) are now both playing...feels so surreal! This can't be real?! Everytime we're this happy...the Bruins crash the party by injuring some of our players. Better not happen this year. I want White AND Armstrong out there whenever Lucic and Thornton are out there.

The most balanced lines I've seen in a long time :
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Eller-Desharnais-Cole
Prust-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Moen-White-Armstrong

Markov-Emelin
Bouillon-Subban
Gorges-Diaz

Price

p.s.: I'd try Desharnais-Eller-Cole...no?

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 02-03-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:54 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Ca sente la coupe.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:58 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
I love the way our team has competed up to now, but let's not forget we've had the softest schedule in the league. I wouldn't anoint the Habs just yet.
What's this talk about softest schedule in the league ? What's so good about it ? The games are evenly spaced ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Habs have played 5 of 7 games at home, haven't played the powerhouse teams yet. It's been easy so far. Let's talk at the 20 game mark.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:10 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Beyond the record, one has to have the ability to see the change in attitude, system and philosophy.
For sure..

But let's wait and see how we fare up against the Rangers, Bruins, Penguins of this world before we talk about being the most balanced team the Habs have iced more or less since they've won the cup.

All it's going to take is one injury to Markov/Price/Subban/Plekanec for this team to implode.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeker View Post
The thing i like the most is that we have 3 solid lines who can score.
We may not have a clear number 1 line but instead we have 3 number 2.
Our defense is sharp , best defensive corps in years
Add to that , one of the best goalie in the league.
This team looks really promising
I think this line pretty much nails it.

There's always been a standard in the NHL where teams often have clear-cut lines established: Primary scoring, secondary scoring, checking/shutdown and energy. With a lineup like ours, it's much harder to match lines for the opposing team especially if they are trying to shutdown our primary scoring because we don't really have primary scoring, it's a combined effort of 3 lines.

I honestly prefer this team to the 07/08, the two are comparable in all aspects but age and depth. With all the good young players, rookies and prospects the Habs have in their system, they are set for a nice long while.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM
zzoo

Just curious, what was 2007-08 line-up ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post

There's always been a standard in the NHL where teams often have clear-cut lines established: Primary scoring, secondary scoring, checking/shutdown and energy. With a lineup like ours, it's much harder to match lines for the opposing team especially if they are trying to shutdown our primary scoring because we don't really have primary scoring, it's a combined effort of 3 lines.

I honestly prefer this team to the 07/08, the two are comparable in all aspects but age and depth. With all the good young players, rookies and prospects the Habs have in their system, they are set for a nice long while.
Our glaring weakness is the need for a great prospect at the LW position.

If we can get a prospect that projects highly at that position we will be laughing. Bozon and Hudon are decent prospects, but they are still projects at this point and Hudon is another undersized player.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Just curious, what was 2007-08 line-up ?
A. Kostitsyn - Plekanec - Kovalev
Higgins - Koivu - S. Kostitsyn

Then 3rd and 4th lines that were often in flux, Lapierre and Smolinski centered the 3rd and 4th lines. Latendresse, Ryder, Streit, Begin, Kostopoulos, Dandenault, etc rotated among those lines.

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - O'Byrne/Brisebois
Bouillon - Gorges

Price
Huet/Halak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
This year is probably the best shot the Habs will have to win the Stanley Cup in the next 5 years. The Habs have a lot of depth and a lot of underpay players like Eller, Desharnais, Gallagher, Subban, Emelin and Diaz. If the Habs are top 4 and healthy by the trade deadline I think the Team should try to get another to 6 player like Perry in order to win the Stanley Cup.
All those guys aside from Desharnais are signed for next year though. So you can say that about next year too, especially since the Gomez error will finally be off our books. And we'll amnesty Kaberle's deal if he isn't traded, creating more room.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post

The 07/08 club really wasn't that good. It overracheived and was bookended with 90 and 93 point seasons. It really does stick out like a sore thumb.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
I really wish this was a full season. I'd love to see what kind of stats this team would have at the end of 82 games. Would love to see the two rookies with 60+ points, Plekanec with 70, Markov with 60, etc.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
For sure..

But let's wait and see how we fare up against the Rangers, Bruins, Penguins of this world before we talk about being the most balanced team the Habs have iced more or less since they've won the cup.

All it's going to take is one injury to Markov/Price/Subban/Plekanec for this team to implode.
I wish I could share your pessimism (not really) but I don't.

I think that the team has more depth. They definitely still have some huge holes, but I like what I'm seeing, the changes of system and attitude from previous management.

You're also making it sound like they've only faced bottom feeders, which isn't the case.

I personally chose to see the glass half full, enjoy the ride, instead of trying to predict what might (or not) happen. But that's me.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Sorinth

Not that it's going to stay that way but we have 6 players at a PPG pace or higher. On paper we've had some pretty well balanced teams since 07-08, this is the first team since then to actually get it done on the ice.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote