HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 09:12 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theremedial View Post
So was Grabs and I don't like our lines right now. Kadri needs up 1c and start finding another 1c 2c to end this Bozak bs once and for all.
I give you props for this post, our highest paid players are not producing, this is the problem not Kostka the whipping boy last night.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:16 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I give you props for this post, our highest paid players are not producing, this is the problem not Kostka the whipping boy last night.
Grabs was garbage, JVR same I better read the team has the flu because how disjointed they were last night was puzzling that said they remained reasonably good care of Reims

Old
02-03-2013, 09:22 AM
bunjay

There is only one positive from last night and it's Reimer. Guy singlehandedly kept us in the game when everyone else looked like garbage. Well, maybe not Kulemin, but for all his good work he still didn't accomplish anything.

Kessel wasn't dangerous all night. He got neutralized, just like everyone else. He looked particularly bad on the PP and on the 4-on-4 shifts where he failed to do anything with the extra room and with Chara off the ice. And Bozak, dear god, did he even touch the puck last night?

Old
02-03-2013, 09:26 AM
thewave

If Phil is a donut they could at least give him a chocolate glaze but no, with Bozak and no Lups he is a plain donut, no filling no sprinkles

Old
02-03-2013, 09:27 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

I'm sure it's been mentioned; but, Phil Kessel leads the league in shots. How is that even possible he hasn't scored? Nothing is going right for him. I know he's trying, and as much as some people don't see it, he really is. You can't blame a guy for not scoring if he's really working his tail off like he is.

I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:33 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Unfortunately being dangerous without results doesn't really benefit the team nor assist it in winning.

Fair or not should the Leafs miss the playoffs this year, Kessel's goals or lack there of will be a determining factor in that final outcome.
Absolutely, come see me if this is still the case after game 48.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:35 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
There is only one positive from last night and it's Reimer. Guy singlehandedly kept us in the game when everyone else looked like garbage. Well, maybe not Kulemin, but for all his good work he still didn't accomplish anything.

Kessel wasn't dangerous all night. He got neutralized, just like everyone else. He looked particularly bad on the PP and on the 4-on-4 shifts where he failed to do anything with the extra room and with Chara off the ice. And Bozak, dear god, did he even touch the puck last night?
Fair enough, although I still think Kessel was getting his chances. I also thought the kid line looked great again, as did Kulie. JVR, Bozak, Grabbo, Dion, all non existent. I'm as big a Bozak fan as you'll find, but if he don't get his **** together soon....

Old
02-03-2013, 10:00 AM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
I see you going bye bye before either of them.

And it seems to me a lot of people said the same things about Mats
kessel wont get 678 million from rogers /bell book it now mate.i could care less i live in windsor already been to two stanley cup parades and a world series baseball game

Old
02-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Fair enough, although I still think Kessel was getting his chances. I also thought the kid line looked great again, as did Kulie. JVR, Bozak, Grabbo, Dion, all non existent. I'm as big a Bozak fan as you'll find, but if he don't get his **** together soon....
Bozak never really had his **** together to begin with. For a 3rd straight year he is playing a role he shouldn't be in at all. Very frustrating for me to see Bozak out there, first PP, first line, with the goalie out.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:06 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned; but, Phil Kessel leads the league in shots. How is that even possible he hasn't scored? Nothing is going right for him. I know he's trying, and as much as some people don't see it, he really is. You can't blame a guy for not scoring if he's really working his tail off like he is.

I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Did you watch between the periods last night when they showed where Kessel is shooting from?

Hopefully someone has the stats, but it looked like half his shots were from 31+ feet from the net.

I know Bozak is the favorite whipping boy, but maybe Kessel's play is making his linemates look worse? JVR looked pretty good with Grabovski and Kulemin, and he looked invisible with Kessel and Bozak. Bozak isn't shooting from 31 feet.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
Old
02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Did you watch between the periods last night when they showed where Kessel is shooting from?

Hopefully someone has the stats, but it looked like half his shots were from 31+ feet from the net.
I wish they showed a stat about how many goals he's scored from 31+ feet away in previous seasons. I gather its probably more than just a small handful. I don't think thats the problem, Phil has an absolute laser that can be deadly even from that distance.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Not fair because there will be a lot of factors in play that will help result in that outcome, not just Phil's inability to score at this moment. After all, it is a team game.
Agreed team results are >> individual player results, however its a compilation of player results that determine final team results.

Well with Kessel being a PPG the team finished 5th last. So where will the team finish if Kessel produces less?

Its generally accepted that Kessel's game beyond his points has little effect on the teams results, because he isn't killing penalties, nor hitting nor blocking shots and regularly a negative +/- player etc. Bottom line a sniper that isn't sniping is a liability none the less.

I expect him to break out of his slump eventually because he is getting chances to score, but you can't turn back time and change past team results where he didn't and it resulted in losses and missed team points.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
There is no need to trade Phil Kessel. For Phil to succeed, he's going to need complimentary players around him for support. He hasn't been able to be that guy, that can carry the team. That being said, I have no problem finding room for a player that can score 30 goals in a season.

And for the people saying that the Leafs should trade Kessel for a #1 centre.... Then what are they going to do? They will have noone to play with him. Lupul is good, but nowhere near the natural goal scorer that Kessel is. JVR is having a solid start, but is better suited on the 2nd line (IMO). So that leaves the #1 centreman in the same situation that the Leafs face now.

If the Leafs are to make a deal, then they should do it from their strength. Their top 4 defensive prospects are: Morgan Rielly, Stuart Percy, Matt Finn & Jesse Blacker and also have Jake Gardiner... you have to think about losing one or 2 of those guys.
I'm sorry but your use of the wording "no one to play with" is ridiculous.

Lups and JVR are more then capable of filling out a solid 1rst line with a true #1 c.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post

Lups and JVR are more then capable of filling out a solid 1rst line with a true #1 c.
That's the missing piece.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Not fair because there will be a lot of factors in play that will help result in that outcome, not just Phil's inability to score at this moment. After all, it is a team game.
Mind you, the old adage, "Your best players need to be your best players to succeed" does carry some weight.

I'd argue double fold in a shortened season. Little time in the sched to make up for slumps and the likes.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:20 AM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
That's the missing piece.
Strange, Lupul and Kessel were very good last year without one, yet that is the missing peice? I guess the expectation is to have Kessel #1 and Lupul #2 in scoring?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Bozak never really had his **** together to begin with. For a 3rd straight year he is playing a role he shouldn't be in at all. Very frustrating for me to see Bozak out there, first PP, first line, with the goalie out.
I thought he looked good last year and even to start this year, and looked like he might be a solid two way guy, but he seems like he tries too hard to look for Kessel

Old
02-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Erdinger

vCash: 50
I feel sorry for Kessel. He just isn't enough of a multi dimensional player to be expected to carry the load here. He needs to be on a team where he is more of a compliment to players that are superior to the ones he plays with on the Leafs. Guy is a superbly talented sniper. But without anybody to play with he's going to look bad. I can't imagine him producing in a playoff hockey series with this team. He can't produce against teams like the Bruins who are built for playoff type grinding hockey. Hate to see a guy with his natural scoring talent leave but perhaps the Leafs should trade him if the right offer comes along. I wish he'd been here when Sundin needed a guy like him on his line.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:29 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
kessel wont get 678 million from rogers /bell book it now mate.i could care less i live in windsor already been to two stanley cup parades and a world series baseball game
I'll take that bet. And congrats. I live in Toronto and have seen two World Series parades, your point?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:30 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Agreed team results are >> individual player results, however its a compilation of player results that determine final team results.

Well with Kessel being a PPG the team finished 5th last. So where will the team finish if Kessel produces less?

Its generally accepted that Kessel's game beyond his points has little effect on the teams results, because he isn't killing penalties, nor hitting nor blocking shots and regularly a negative +/- player etc. Bottom line a sniper that isn't sniping is a liability none the less.

I expect him to break out of his slump eventually because he is getting chances to score, but you can't turn back time and change past team results where he didn't and it resulted in losses and missed team points.
Are you saying the Leafs are a better than .500 team?

Old
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:

How very true. There's no real excuse, he's in a slump. All players go through them.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:42 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

I think Kessel is going to score a goal in game #11. God help him though. The fans are going to let him have it on Monday, and some might make a special trip to Washington on Tues.

Some people believe in bad luck. Others believe you make you're own luck. :/

Old
02-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
How very true. There's no real excuse, he's in a slump. All players go through them.
See, I'm not sure i can term it a "slump".

This is not RWs system anymore, now if it was, I'd have no issue using that word.

For me this is a completely different animal, seeing that his production has fallen off a cliff under RCs system.

But i will admit the loss of Lups for the majority of that transition does leave me with some lingering questions, regarding PKs ability to produce under RCs system.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Are you saying the Leafs are a better than .500 team?
Sorry CE but the term .500 no longer holds any measurable, comparative value in the new NHL.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
See I'm not sure i can term it a "slump".

This is not RWs system anymore, now if it was, I'd have no issue using that word.

For me this is a completely different animal, seeing that his production has fallen off a cliff under RCs system.

But i will admit the loss of Lups for the majority of that transition does leave me with some lingering questions, regarding PKs ability to produce under RCs system.
I'd agree if he had just disappeared off the face of the earth, but he's still getting the chances, they're just not going in. Very much a slump.

Closed Thread