HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Kessel Discussion Thread. (no goals as of Feb 4, 2013)

View Poll Results: kessel goals, 15 over or under, this year
over 86 51.50%
under 81 48.50%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 12:01 PM
  #326
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Sorry CE but the term .500 no longer holds any measurable, comparative value in the new NHL.
Oh I agree, but the Leafs are 4-4 with no quantitative help offensively from Kessel at the moment, so following Mess' logic, with Kessel contributing this team should be demonstrably better right?

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
  #327
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
I'd agree if he had just disappeared off the face of the earth, but he's still getting the chances, they're just not going in. Very much a slump.
I think there is room for debate on the phrase "chances", if one looks at the body of work since RC took over.

Not to mention the other term "quality chances".

I'm not just looking at PKs output this season, one should look at the body of work since we changed systems.

As some people have suggested , players like Reims,Schenn,Komi s game could see a upswing under the new regime, others also points out how it could cause a down swing in others like Kess,Lup,Boz.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:11 PM
  #328
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
I think there is room for debate on the phrase "chances", if one looks at the body of work since RC took over.

Not to mention the other term "quality chances".

I'm not just looking at PKs output this season, one should look at the body of work since we changed systems.

As some people have suggested , players like Reims,Schenn,Komi s game could see a upswing under the new regime, others also points out how it could cause a down swing in others like Kess,Lup,Boz.
He is taking the same shots he always has. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:12 PM
  #329
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Oh I agree, but the Leafs are 4-4 with no quantitative help offensively from Kessel at the moment, so following Mess' logic, with Kessel contributing this team should be demonstrably better right?
In 2 losses, i would say yes, a productive Kessel could have turned the tide.

The other 2, ehh not so sure.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  #330
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
To Kessel supporters I want to hear a tangible/realistic plan of how this team is going to Improve with PK as the centrepiece. Tanglible responses should not include Miracle UFA's signing here in off season. Thats wishful thinking at best.

Ok lets hear it ... go

DaveT83* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:20 PM
  #331
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
In 2 losses, i would say yes, a productive Kessel could have turned the tide.

The other 2, ehh not so sure.
Which is why I somewhat disagree with Mess' assessment. Eventually, Kessel will start potting them, and one of the other lines will cool down. We'll probably keep winning one losing two, rinse and repeat.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  #332
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
To Kessel supporters I want to hear a tangible/realistic plan of how this team is going to Improve with PK as the centrepiece. Tanglible responses should not include Miracle UFA's signing here in off season. Thats wishful thinking at best.

Ok lets hear it ... go
Why can't Kessel be re-signed? He doesn't have to be our franchise player to re-sign him.

We're not "Building Around Him".

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
  #333
buntek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 536
vCash: 500
I don't know if this has been posted or mentioned, but I just heard from a friend (who's uncle works with the Leafs staff) and apparently, Kessel's gf of 10 years broke up with him 2 days before the season started.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard something about her going back to Boston last year to spend some time with one of his former Bruines teammates if I'm not mistaken...

buntek is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:27 PM
  #334
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buntek View Post
I don't know if this has been posted or mentioned, but I just heard from a friend (who's uncle works with the Leafs staff) and apparently, Kessel's gf of 10 years broke up with him 2 days before the season started.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard something about her going back to Boston last year to spend some time with one of his former Bruines teammates if I'm not mistaken...
If true, dude. He does strike me as the kind of guy that would be affected by something like that. Who wouldn't right? That being said, if true one of our local boys needs to take him out and hook him up. Maybe if he 'scores' he'll score.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:28 PM
  #335
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
Which is why I somewhat disagree with Mess' assessment. Eventually, Kessel will start potting them, and one of the other lines will cool down. We'll probably keep winning one losing two, rinse and repeat.
Well, "eventually, start to pot them" is a little to vague for my liking.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #336
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why can't Kessel be re-signed? He doesn't have to be our franchise player to re-sign him.

We're not "Building Around Him".
We're the only team in the NHL that needs to have 12 Crosbys, 6 Webers, and two Lundqvists to win anything. Anything else must be traded immediately.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #337
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK
 
legendinblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why can't Kessel be re-signed? He doesn't have to be our franchise player to re-sign him.

We're not "Building Around Him".
We're building around a player we don't have yet.

legendinblue is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  #338
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,910
vCash: 500
Edit

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #339
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendinblue View Post
We're building around a player we don't have yet.
We're building around a system, not a player.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:31 PM
  #340
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why can't Kessel be re-signed? He doesn't have to be our franchise player to re-sign him.

We're not "Building Around Him".
Sounds alot like the same situation we've been in for the last 4 years - correct me if I'm wrong but I don't beleive that plan has worked out very well.

DaveT83* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #341
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
Gf woes, it all makes sense now. Didn't need that bimbo anyways Phil! Tell your friends uncle to pass it along

thewave is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #342
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
Why can't Kessel be re-signed? He doesn't have to be our franchise player to re-sign him.

We're not "Building Around Him".
For me that would depend on his demands.

With a 64m cap you cannot be spending 11% of your cap hit on a player your not building the team around.

Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:33 PM
  #343
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Sounds alot like the same situation we've been in for the last 4 years - correct me if I'm wrong but I don't beleive that plan has worked out very well.
New gm, new coach. In fact, fourth gm since lockout, third coach. What situation are you referring to exactly?

Are you seriously arguing that re-signing Kessel would hurt this team more than it would help?

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:34 PM
  #344
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazeeEddie View Post
He is taking the same shots he always has. Feel free to prove me wrong though.
Not trying to prove anything here CE.

I can't say one way or the other what his chances looked like last year under RCs system.


Last edited by Faltorvo: 02-03-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Faltorvo is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:34 PM
  #345
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
For me that would depend on his demands.

With a 64m cap you cannot be spending 11% of your cap hit on a player your not building the team around.
You do spend it on a key player. You have no choice in the new NHL.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:36 PM
  #346
DaveT83*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
To Kessel supporters I want to hear a tangible/realistic plan of how this team is going to Improve with PK as the centrepiece. Tanglible responses should not include Miracle UFA's signing here in off season. Thats wishful thinking at best.

Ok lets hear it ... go
Anyone? A Plan - Do you just want your favorite player to stay here forever regardless of team results . Thats ok if thats what you want - just be honest.

DaveT83* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:37 PM
  #347
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
Not trying to prove anything here CE.

I can say one way or the other what his chances looked like last year under RCs system.
I can say watching games from last year under RW and this year under RC he is taking the same shots, making many of the same plays, same rushes, same Kessel, just no finish as of yet.

It's a slump. At least this year he is back checking, stick checking, and knows where OuR blue line is.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #348
RogerRoeper*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 21,694
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Anyone? A Plan - Do you just want your favorite player to stay here forever regardless of team results . Thats ok if thats what you want - just be honest.
Do you still think Lombardi is a better player than Phil Kessel right now? Because why should we take your big plans so seriously?

RogerRoeper* is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:38 PM
  #349
The Apologist
Kessel Supporter
 
The Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Soviet Kanukistan
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT83 View Post
Anyone? A Plan - Do you just want your favorite player to stay here forever regardless of team results . Thats ok if thats what you want - just be honest.
I want my team to ADD to its perennial 30 goal scorer, not create another hole by getting rid of him.

The Apologist is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
  #350
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,831
vCash: 500
Kessel is not affected by that, if that is true
He is playing well, just not scoring,
If he wasn't getting chances, than yes it might be true

mikebel111 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.