HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Malkin "tomahawk"

Old
02-02-2013, 11:25 PM
TheAngryHank
Expert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin6612 View Post
My god, you're onto something. Wait until a player develops the technique called a "wrist" shot. This game will be changed for ever.
That day won't come soon enough.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
loobarlow

Send a message via AIM to loobarlow
I don't know what everyone else is saying in this thread (18 pages? Really?) but it's clear the "tomahawk" was an accident.

loobarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
Firet time I have seen this. should get 4 games. What an idiot.
just saw this. 100% intentional with no regard for opponent.

Deserves 10 games - this should be totally unacceptable in the NHL.

This is one of the worst displays of attempt to injure after play is over. Lucky he wasn't hurt.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
What you are missing though is the fact that it isn't automatic and it is a reviewable offense. Do I agree with it? No. But that is the way it is. So to argue that it is an automatic suspension is just plain wrong.
No, I'm not missing that part at all. What I'm saying is according to the rule itself, the review should have been a suspension. He CLEARLY instigates a fight against an unwilling opponent.

He got away with it because Uncle Gary isn't going to suspend him and Lemieux's lovechild's little cronie in a regular season game for that, nevermind a Stanley Cup final game. It's clear that the same rules that apply to all of the other teams in the NHL don't apply to Pittsburgh.

Case and example: Mario Lemieux after the Islanders incident calls the game a joke, the Islanders organization a joke and threatens to "take his puck and leave". No fine, no slap on the wrist, not even a warning. John Tortarella calls the Penguins an arrogant organization and calls Crosby and Malkin "whining superstars" and gets fined.

Double standard much? Gary Bettman is the enabler here. Because somehow, they took a small market team that no one outside of diehard fans really gives a **** about and are trying to push them onto everyone to revive the sport, they can get away with anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Oh my...

They're both jostling and Malkin starts escalating.

I guess the part where "The score, sending a message", etc, etc, should be typed in Mandarin so you could understand better. Clearly English may not be your strong suit.
They're not both jostling, what in the BLUE HELL are you talking about?

Zetterberg DIDN'T WANT TO FIGHT, watch the video again, genius.

And English may not be my "strong suit"? Maybe you should remove your head from a certain oriface before saying things like that.

Go back to the drawing board, pal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Never said that. Maybe you were reading too much into my response.
No, you acknowledged that when you basically ignored the fact that he did what he did and placed all blame on Staal.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ok I can play the gee whiz game to...

Malkin was trying to sit up and his momentum swung his stick fwd. He was also looking at the boards and didn't see Staal.

Now back to reality....

- Staal had his balance while he swung his stick and it was done intentionally just like his dirty slash and push into the boards.

- Malkin knew Staal was there and tomahawked him on purpose.

But gee whiz guys...
LMFAO back to reality, you mean back to your biased opinion?

Go ride your high horse into the sunset.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post

Yet again, how many games did MDZ get for this?
The Cross Check again is a dirty play, but when you go to the net in front, you SHOULD EXPECT that. It's been that way since the beginning of time, you have NEVER EVER played hockey in even a semi-competitive game if you don't expect to get some sort of cross-check or the like while trying to screen a goaltender.

The stick to the head is an accidental play from a follow-through, Malkin's was clearly him trying to hit Staal in the head.

Anyway, what does this have to do with Malkin, who has a past history of doing things like that to other players???

Nice attempt to divert attention away from the matter at hand, but not happening.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
And Scott Walker dropped his gloves and TKO'd Aaron Ward with less than 3 minutes left in a 4-0 game. Ward never dropped his gloves and had no intention of fighting.

How can you suspend Malkin after you rescinded the suspension for this a couple weeks earlier?
That should have never been rescinded and Malkin should have been suspended.

The outcome of this doesn't change the fact that by textbook definition, what Malkin did warranted a suspension and a suspension that would have changed the outcome of a series.

Uncle Gary comes to Pittsburgh's rescue once again.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:53 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
What I'm saying is according to the rule itself, the review should have been a suspension.
You obviously are missing it. You keep saying it is automatic but it isn't. Again the rule reads:

The suspension shall be served unless, upon review of the incident, the Director of Hockey Operations, at his discretion, deems the incident is not related to the score, previous incidents in the game or prior games, retaliatory in nature, “message sending”, etc.

ALL of these plays are reviewable. If you want to argue that the review of the play was wrong that is another argument and is subject to opinion. Obviously the NHL thought it did not meet the standards for a suspension as stated in the rules and therefore as stated in the rules no suspension was applied. As already noted earlier in this thread the same decision was made for Walker.

T he rule states the NHL reserves the right to review all of these calls and if they do not feel the standards have been met they can overturn the automatic suspension. I do not agree with this because it can lead to bias like you are claiming. If Walker's suspension wasn't overturned earlier in the playoffs then you might have a better argument. But the fact is that the call was made twice in the same playoffs and BOTH times it was overturned(both incorrect decisions by the league IMO) sinks your uncle bettman argument.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 02-03-2013 at 02:43 PM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:29 PM
Highrise

lol
After watching the clip and seeing that there were no injuries, I gotta say that was pretty hilarious.

Should have given both of those hotheads a game misconduct and be done with it.

Highrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
ALL of these plays are reviewable. If you want to argue that the review of the play was wrong that is another argument and is subject to opinion. Obviously the NHL thought it did not meet the standards for a suspension as stated in the rules and therefore as stated in the rules no suspension was applied. As already noted earlier in this thread the same decision was made for Walker.
And if you'd read what I'm saying instead of repeating the same things over and over again and acting like you're proving some sort of point, what I'm saying if you were to review that, it fits ALL OF THE GUIDELINES LISTED.

The review was a farce. I'd go as far to say that there probably was no review. Uncle Gary helped out his team.

Quote:
T he rule states the NHL reserves the right to review all of these calls and if they do not feel the standards have been met they can overturn the automatic suspension. I do not agree with this because it can lead to bias like you are claiming. If Walker's suspension wasn't overturned earlier in the playoffs then you might have a better argument. But the fact is that the call was made twice in the same playoffs and BOTH times it was overturned(both incorrect decisions by the league IMO) sinks your uncle bettman argument.
No my "Uncle Bettman" arguement is based off other elements too in which I've stated.

Both should have been suspended. Gary helps out the Penguins, it's fairly obvious.

It's common knowledge that Mario and Bettman are very good friends. It's also common knowledge that Mario ripped the Islanders franchise, but yet Tortarella calls the Penguins Franchise arrogant and calls Crosby and Malkin whiners and gets fined?

There are obvious double standards. Brooks Orpik gets NOTHING for a clear knee-on-knee hit on Derek Stepan? Matt Cooke is ALLOWED to play in the NHL again after ending Marc Savard's career and having a past history?

Bettman needs to be removed and this ****ing farce that the Save Pittsburgh Project will help save the league needs to end.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
And if you'd read what I'm saying instead of repeating the same things over and over again and acting like you're proving some sort of point, what I'm saying if you were to review that, it fits ALL OF THE GUIDELINES LISTED.

The review was a farce. I'd go as far to say that there probably was no review. Uncle Gary helped out his team.

No my "Uncle Bettman" arguement is based off other elements too in which I've stated.

Both should have been suspended. Gary helps out the Penguins, it's fairly obvious.

It's common knowledge that Mario and Bettman are very good friends. It's also common knowledge that Mario ripped the Islanders franchise, but yet Tortarella calls the Penguins Franchise arrogant and calls Crosby and Malkin whiners and gets fined?

There are obvious double standards. Brooks Orpik gets NOTHING for a clear knee-on-knee hit on Derek Stepan? Matt Cooke is ALLOWED to play in the NHL again after ending Marc Savard's career and having a past history?

Bettman needs to be removed and this ****ing farce that the Save Pittsburgh Project will help save the league needs to end.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:14 PM
qc
Dare to Dream

vCash: 69
thread title wrote a check that the post couldnt cash. I was expecting some kind of benicio del toro tomahawk.

qc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:

whatever man, I am done arguing with you. The rule states that a suspension is the league's discretion. In your eyes it met all the standards for the suspension. Your opinion doesn't matter in the review though. The league thought it didn't meet the standard and as I said that interpretation is a matter of opinion that won't be changed by further arguments. I also tend to think the league took into account that it was the playoffs and that is why neither he nor Walker were suspended for their actions. Is that right? Probably not, in fact as I stated earlier they should get rid of the review possibility so this whole argument doesn't happen again.

I do think that there is some bias for the Pens, but you are going over the top claiming there was probably no review. What is next? The league didn't suspend Walker because they knew Malkin would do the same thing? Like I said, I do think there is some bias, from the refs and the league, I just think this is a poor example to use, especially with the Walker incident in the same playoffs.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 11:53 AM
schabadoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Lets ignore Staals stick to the back of Geno's legs, then his tomahawk to Geno's hands, stick to Geno's face incidental or not, twice, and we're having a whiner thread about just, Geno.
Sorry to quote such an old post. I just love the alternate reality some people seem to exist in.

No wonder eyewitness testimony is so unreliable.

schabadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Thesensation19

Its abs *********

When they play the Rangers, at least one incident Malkin is involved in and always goes unnoticed. Its careless play and the league must do something soon before anything happens. Last time they played the Rangers, Malkin went behind the Rangers net and I was expected Girardi to light him up but the Malkin crosschecked him in the jaw.

NOTHING.
Hes a really good player, and I dont think hes trying to hurt anyone. He just tries to protect himself but the guy needs to get punished. Fines, light suspensions before something worse happens.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
JWells16

He probably should be suspended for a game. You can't pull that.

The conspiracy theorists are pretty hilarious though.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Eli Cash

It really is a testament to modern medicine that they were able to sew Staal's split head back together so he could finish the game. He looks almost the same as he did before.

Eli Cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:00 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Why would either of those things matter? You can't use your stick as a weapon.

Though I'm going to say he doesn't get anything.

what an great pic! Loved it , so true.

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Dangleberry

Came in expecting no logic, left satisfied.

It was a dirty play.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Syrinx
Heh...

Quote:

If Matt Cooke ended Marc Savard's career, who was in Savard's uniform for all those games he played after Cooke's fully legal hit?

You hate the Penguins and anything to do with them. You'd have more credibility if you just said that and didn't try to argue conspiracies and whatnot.

Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
LMFAO back to reality, you mean back to your biased opinion?

Go ride your high horse into the sunset.
You mean watching the video and describing what happened, then deciding both players acted like idiots?

Got me there.

Staal is a Ranger, so obviously he is a nice guy and would never two hand anyone and swing his stick in Malkin's face.

MSG clearly doctored that video to make Staal look like a dirty goon who hit Malkin with his stick then cried when Malkin gave him the same kind of loving right back.

None of that really happened. Staal is a nice guy and would never think of doing such an un-gentlemanly thing.

Staal for the Lady Byng.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
You mean watching the video and describing what happened, then deciding both players acted like idiots?

Got me there.

Staal is a Ranger, so obviously he is a nice guy and would never two hand anyone and swing his stick in Malkin's face.

MSG clearly doctored that video to make Staal look like a dirty goon who hit Malkin with his stick then cried when Malkin gave him the same kind of loving right back.

None of that really happened. Staal is a nice guy and would never think of doing such an un-gentlemanly thing.

Staal for the Lady Byng.
"Watch Staal finish his check!"

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
"Watch Staal finish his check!"
Staal swings his stick at Malkin's face...

Ranger fans... "Aw shucks, he was just joshing. Staalsy would NEVER do that"

Malkin swings his stick back in retaliation...

Ranger fans... "Malkin is the anti-Christ! He must BURN!"

Semin turns Staal into Grover Dill... Everyone laughs.

Staal wins the Lady Byng.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
TheSituation

Staal two handed Malkin's arm less than a second before that. There should be no punsishment.

TheSituation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
NastyNick

I would have more sympathy for Staal if he hadn't slashed and tackled Malkin just prior to this. Malkin doesn't mind getting dirty when hes been wronged first. Ranger fans cheered Mark Messier on for years and he was the same way.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote