Opinion on Chris Bourque?

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Kate08

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
To be fair, it's just the people who never hated Pouliot or Ryder to begin with who are piping up and it's easier to single out those comments now for a laugh because the general consensus was "get them outta here!" back when we had them.

Personally I never hated Ryder and I never hated Pouliot. They were the goats just like Bourque is the goat this time around but I thought all three of them were (and are) doing their jobs just fine. People are still spoiled from the 08-09 season I think where literally every line felt like a 1st line and were scoring at similar clips. So anything less than that is still iffy hense the 3rd line winger hate that we have every season since then.

At least that's my opinion. Though it is comical to point out, be careful about generalizing the whole board as hating Pouliot or Ryder because the people pining for those players now may have had no problem with them when they were on the team. /shrug
It wasn't meant to generalize, and if that's the way it came off I apologize. I never hated Ryder, I found him frustrating and got insanely annoyed when he would float, but the guy produced when he needed to. If he made less $$, I admit I would have looked at him and his contributions differently.

I wasn't a Pouliot fan. At all.

It's just amusing to me. There seems to be a pattern of a sense of longing for whoever occupied the spot the year prior. Ryder is fair to have a debate about, IMO. But Pouliot? Wishing for the glory days of Pouliot is one thing I honestly thought I never would see.

Last edited by Kate08: 02-03-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: I can't type today
Old
02-03-2013, 12:18 PM
bruins repeat time

Me personally Rick your right I wasnt thrilled either way when they grabbed pouliot but I grew to really appreciate him. Ryder I was thrilled when they got him and he did a lot for this team and was great in the playoffs. However in the cup year he was very bad in the regular season. Bourque lets face it is a different case he doesnt have a job waiting for him anywhere else. So were looking to get something out of him that hasnt been seen yet. Lets just hope we do but I havent yet.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
It wasn't meant to generalize, and if that's the way it came off I apologize. I never hated Ryder, I found him frustrating and got insanely annoyed when he would float, but the guy produced when he needed to. If he made less $$, I admit I would have looked at him and his contributions differently.

I wasn't a Pouliot fan. At all.

It's just amusing to me. There seems to be a pattern of a sense of longing for whoever occupied the spot the year prior.
Ryder is fair to have a debate about, IMO. But Pouliot? Wishing for the glory days of Pouliot is one thing I honestly thought I never would see.
No it's definitely funny, haha.. or at least borderline frustrating to hear every season

But if you get right down to it, every player has a quirk that the masses tend to key in on and for whatever reason that quirk is amplified 893751897876 times over if that player is playing wing for the Bruins on the 3rd line

Though.. I think a good way around this anomaly would be for Chia to somehow acquire Iginla for that line *wishes/hopes*

Old
02-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Odie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruins repeat time View Post
I dont recall it being a huge problem and although i flat out know it wont be a problem with bourque he took a bad pentally 13 minutes left bos-3 carol-3
I remember Pouliot being scratched a few games for bad plays. Hell, he was benched against Montreal in a game we were winning.

Not to mention, Pouliot SUCKED in games 3-7 in the playoffs. The rest of the team didn't do much better, but his idiotic decisions and penalties basically cost us games 5 and 7. I don't miss him.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:29 PM
bruins repeat time

well if you think he killed us in the playoffs Ill give up with you. He has 2 pm this year I didnt check when he got it. Looks like hes playing with n.thompson and pyatt I guess those are the lecav stlouis clones you mentioned.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:37 PM
bruins repeat time

And one last point for the record pouiliot has been a + player every year in his career and when thats your worst of your 9 12+ minute forwards thats ok to have. And yes as much as I like him he would be 9 of 9 of our top 3 lines

Old
02-03-2013, 12:40 PM
DJENTLEMAN
Clode's Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Me too.

And at the deadline, I want PC go go after Ryder.
I would love to have Ryder back on this team. Although at the time I couldn't stand his floating and lackluster play along the boards, he produced at huge moments.

He would get a second chance to not drop and ding the Cup.

Quote:
The board is yearning for Benoit Pouliot.

I have officially seen it all.
I liked Benny when he was with the Bruins and was often confused as to why this board hated him last year. I thought his combination of size and flashes of skill was a perfect complement next to Kelly and Peverley, allowing them to play their game and not have to worry about helping Pouliot along the boards (like you're seeing them have to compensate for Bourque this year and the result has been obvious).

Last edited by DJENTLEMAN: 02-03-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I don't think its people yearning for Pouliot.

Its recognizing the fact that since Ryder left, the replacement has gotten progressively worse.

I wanted Eric Cole to replace Ryder, which would have been an upgrade. When Pouliot came in, it made me miss Ryders production. I was elated when Pouliot was gone, but now I miss his production because well... his replacement is not producing as good as he did.

I just hope they address it at or before the deadline because they may just come up short again without help on that line.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:46 PM
bruins repeat time

Although Im not a Bourque supporter yet I believe he can match pouliot production wise. Its really bourques specialty where it isnt pouliots.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
TCL40

Quote:
The board is yearning for Benoit Pouliot.

I have officially seen it all.
I never hated Poo. I actually thought he was a pretty good fit on that line even though he didn't have much hockey IQ he had enough skill and complemented Kelly and Peverly (or whoever was on that line after Pevs was injured).

I was never in the "get rid of Pouliot" crowd.

I also never minded Ryder other than how much he was being paid for production. I thought Ryder was overpaid for what he produced, but he could score.

Bourque to me just isn't what that line needs. If he earned the spot, he probably would do better paired with a center like Krejci with a big hitting forward like Lucic or Horton. Isn't going to happen though, if he can't produce on the 3rd.

Quote:
But Pouliot? Wishing for the glory days of Pouliot is one thing I honestly thought I never would see.
I didn't hate him, and while I wouldn't have complained about an upgrade, Bourque IMO is a downgrade. I think Pouliot and Ryder were similar in some ways (both took dumb penalties) although different and the line was scoring while they were on it.

And while Paille looked good on the 3rd line (which convinces me that the third line is best served by having somebody with speed, who hits and fights on the boards) I think it makes the 4th line worse. I think his niche is good defense, energy style play and PKing. Pie can't shoot though-if the guy had hands he would be a multi million dollar top line wing for any team in the league.

Last edited by TCL40: 02-03-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
remer

I don't think the issue is a yearning for Pouliot or a dislike for Bourque. A really we all complained when Ryder was there as well because he didn't really fufill the price of his contract until the playoffs.
The issue is that the talent in that third line left wing has gone south since Ryder.
We need someone who can excel in that role and he a bit of a difference maker so the third line can be classified as dangerous as well.
Chia needs to make a move and find someone that can solidify this position.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I don't think its people yearning for Pouliot.

Its recognizing the fact that since Ryder left, the replacement has gotten progressively worse.

I wanted Eric Cole to replace Ryder, which would have been an upgrade. When Pouliot came in, it made me miss Ryders production. I was elated when Pouliot was gone, but now I miss his production because well... his replacement is not producing as good as he did.

I just hope they address it at or before the deadline because they may just come up short again without help on that line.
I thought I was the only one.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Danton Heineken
Unlimited Pasta Goal

He needs to keep playing like that to keep his job. That goal he scored - skating hard right to the net - gets Julien all tingly inside.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:47 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
To be fair, it's just the people who never hated Pouliot or Ryder to begin with who are piping up and it's easier to single out those comments now for a laugh because the general consensus was "get them outta here!" back when we had them.

Personally I never hated Ryder and I never hated Pouliot. They were the goats just like Bourque is the goat this time around but I thought all three of them were (and are) doing their jobs just fine. People are still spoiled from the 08-09 season I think where literally every line felt like a 1st line and were scoring at similar clips. So anything less than that is still iffy hense the 3rd line winger hate that we have every season since then.

At least that's my opinion. Though it is comical to point out, be careful about generalizing the whole board as hating Pouliot or Ryder because the people pining for those players now may have had no problem with them when they were on the team. /shrug
I'm in total agreement.

02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:

I would not be surprised if those that cursed those two even for every practice they had with the team are now wanting them.

I think some players need to be put in a role and stick to it.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:08 PM
rfournier103

My opinion of Chris Bourque is that I think he has potential and the Bruins have given him an opertunity. I think he's a decent skater, and I think he's hungry. He produced in the AHL, and he could settle in on the 3rd line if he pushes himself.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonphoenix View Post
I miss Pouliot. We easily could have kept him for this season and even traded his rights next season.

Pouliot at 1.8 would have been excellent this season. 2g, 3a 8gp. His cost is negligible for this season, next season would have been a challenge.

I'm happy with Borque at his cost. But Pouliot would have been lovely. If borque improves he is an excellent cost player.

Pouliot took an amazing amount of crud here last season, but he was good with Peverly and Kelly.

I couldn't understand why the Bruins let him go.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:54 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
I think it is really hard for smaller guys to find success at the NHL level even if they have a lot of success at the AHL one.

One thing about Marchand-he works hard to keep himself fit. He has learned to use his body as an asset. Bourque would do well to watch Marchand.

Bourque stinks on the boards though-although he seems willing to try (I think Seguin has an allergy to the boards) but he just isn't strong there.

I did love the way he came right to the net last night for his goal. He knew where he needed to be and scored.

Bourque is listed at 5'8" and 174 pounds and Marchand at 5'9" and 183 pounds. That's makes a difference for smaller guys.

As you indicate Marchand really works hard at building strength. He usually goes in low, using his low center of gravity for effective work on the boards.

Old
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

While pouliot turned out to be better than I thought, he had a worse start than Bourque has ( 0g, 0a -3 in his first 8games). Thats with an actual training camp.

I do hope the bruins upgrade at the position, however I see more than Chris Bourque struggling offensively so i think he deserves some more rope.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycat View Post
Spot on analysis.

If you go back and look at the last 2 games he played before Thursday, it is actually Peverley who has had to constantly shadow him in the same corner leaving Kelly stranded and the other corner wide open for a behind the net pass with transition for the opponent.

When both Kelly and Peverley have to play both wing/center each game plus PK you have a disaster on your hands. Both were gassed and Kelly made a horrible, costly pass to cost us two points.

I want him to succeed and have high hopes for him. However, Kelly and Peverley have played 1 1/2 seasons with each other at such a high level and they didn't just become toxic all of a sudden.

There is no surprise that the third line looked together when he sat.

DKH knows how much I want him to succeed but there's a line you have to draw when it becomes clear that his game just isn't translating to the system and is throwing off two of our more consistent players.

One goal, a gwg, is fantastic but he needs to keep it up for me to be sold. I'll happily eat crow when appropriate but until then, it's nothing but tough love.

Your analysis is also spot on. When Paille played with Kelly and Peverly they looked dangerous.

The Bourque goal was a tap in off a great pass by Kelly.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:07 PM
Alan Ryan

Quote:
Ryder was scorned and ridiculed from many, a general sense of "good riddance" when he left. In comes Pouliot, and all of a sudden Ryder was the second coming and the answer to the issues on the 3rd line...should have never let him go. Now, Bourque is in, Pouliot's out, and people are extolling the virtues of Pouliot.

It's a ****ing comedy and I could set my watch to it.

Welcome to the Bruins board.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:09 PM
westernhome

it is regular season play and Bourque is so easily pushed off the puck now, if the going really got tough like in playoffs I can see him being a major liability out there, unless he somehow miraculously develops Marchand's type of superstar "slipperyness"

Old
02-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
While pouliot turned out to be better than I thought, he had a worse start than Bourque has ( 0g, 0a -3 in his first 8games). Thats with an actual training camp.

I do hope the bruins upgrade at the position, however I see more than Chris Bourque struggling offensively so i think he deserves some more rope.
Bourque did play 30 some games in the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Your analysis is also spot on. When Paille played with Kelly and Peverly they looked dangerous.

The Bourque goal was a tap in off a great pass by Kelly.
I don't sell anybody short when they drive to the net like he did.

I am not pro or anti Bourque.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:38 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Bruins with Bourque: 14-1-3
Bruins without Bourque: 14-13-3

Old
04-29-2013, 05:41 AM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Bruins with Bourque: 14-1-3
Bruins without Bourque: 14-13-3
Ouch.. not talented but certainly hustled. Time to drink.

Karlson...WOW...don't be afraid of that weak Ottawa team,right.

Closed Thread