HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
01-18-2013, 06:38 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

vCash: 500
I missed the first period of the game...what happened to Carroll?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:47 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I missed the first period of the game...what happened to Carroll?
I didn't see what happened to Carroll. Cam Braes got hit from behind into the boards early in the game, but there was no call on the play.

Old
01-19-2013, 01:02 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Injuries

D
Kidd
Robertson
Priamo

F
Braes
Carrolll

Old
01-19-2013, 02:53 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
D
Kidd
Robertson
Priamo

F
Braes
Carrolll
Brutal....hopefully none of them are too serious.

Old
01-19-2013, 05:35 PM
Rob

Quote:
Brutal....hopefully none of them are too serious.
They are al sitting out tonight's game in Moncton. I have never seen UNB's bench so short. For some reason Salituro is not even dressed.

Oh, and Denny took a five min major for slashing so he is out too. I am guessing a suspension might be in the cards.

Correction - Salitiro is dressed. Priamo took the pre-game skate but is not playing.

Last edited by Rob: 01-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old
01-19-2013, 07:36 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Robertson not playing? He is +1 according to the box score..

Old
01-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
Robertson not playing? He is +1 according to the box score..
He definitely did not play tonight.

Anyway this was a big win for the Vreds. Shortened bench and third game in four nights. They were tired but kept pushing hard.

Old
01-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Inuries

Any updates on injuries (Carroll, Priamo, Kidd)? We may not know until game time on Friday - just thought I would ask as I am away on business this week.

Wonder if Gordie W. is reconsidering his decision?

Old
01-25-2013, 08:05 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Priamo was back in the line-up, but all of the other guys remained out.

It is kind of ironic that for all of the talk last summer about UNB needing more defence they are now playing a forward short. When is the last time they have had to play with less than a full line-up, anyways?? Yeah, Wudrick would be nice to have right about now. This should be more evidence that the the roster cap is going to be ridiculous.

Old
01-25-2013, 08:38 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Any updates on injuries (Carroll, Priamo, Kidd)? We may not know until game time on Friday - just thought I would ask as I am away on business this week.

Wonder if Gordie W. is reconsidering his decision?
Priamo was back in the lineup Friday night. Carroll got a "poke in the eye" on the Island and might be back as soon as Saturday. Braes was checked from behind in that PEI game and is day to day. Robertson is still out with an upper body injury, but is improving. Kidd is still dealing with post-concussion symptoms.

Old
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Rob

Nice to see a full house at the AUC but I won't be missing the last kids night of the year.

Too bad tonight wasn't the Mark Jefferey Memorial game and kids night could have been when STU played.

Old
01-26-2013, 06:20 PM
cishockeyfan

Out of curiosity anyone know why Trevor Steinburg was not coaching againts UNB?

Old
01-26-2013, 07:31 PM
gleanerguy

Flu. Got up had the morning meeting and was throwing up every 20 minutes...didn't want to risk the bus ride and/or contaminating the team.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:02 PM
cishockeyfan

2013-14 Season will see quite an overhaul at UNB for the First time in a while, I think they have 15 Seniors in Total this year

Old
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

They will have a very, very young team for sure.

They will be losing 6 guys for sure - LaCosta, Fullerton, Pridham, Swan, Campbell, Denny - since they are all 5th years. That's the most 5th year players I can ever remember them having.

They have 24 guys listed on their roster right now so they will need to bring in at least 4 new guys (to get to the cap of 22) + whatever 4th years will need to be replaced. We know Thomas and Lavigne are both in the fold so that means at least 2 recruits. I assume Lynes will be officially off the roster next year so that will free up another spot, but it will be interesting to see what will happen with all of the other 4th year guys and who will decide to come back for their 5th year. I can't imagine all 7 of the other guys (Kidd, Wright, Shutron, Todd, Priamo, Culligan, Fillier) being back though. After losing Gallant/Harty/Stamler last year it looks like the D could be taking another massive hit with 6 guys either being in their 4th (Todd, Kidd, Priamo, Shutron, Wright) or 5th (Denny) year.

Should make for a fun summer...

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 02-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 07:17 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
They will have a very, very young team for sure.

They will be losing 6 guys for sure - LaCosta, Fullerton, Pridham, Swan, Campbell, Denny - since they are all 5th years. That's the most 5th year players I can ever remember them having.

They have 24 guys listed on their roster right now so they will need to bring in at least 4 new guys (to get to the cap of 22) + whatever 4th years will need to be replaced. We know Thomas and Lavigne are both in the fold so that means at least 2 recruits. I assume Lynes will be officially off the roster next year so that will free up another spot, but it will be interesting to see what will happen with all of the other 4th year guys and who will decide to come back for their 5th year. I can't imagine all 7 of the other guys (Kidd, Wright, Shutron, Todd, Priamo, Culligan, Fillier) being back though. After losing Gallant/Harty/Stamler last year it looks like the D could be taking another massive hit with 6 guys either being in their 4th (Todd, Kidd, Priamo, Shutron, Wright) or 5th (Denny) year.

Should make for a fun summer...
Here are the 5th year and Done for sure guys as you said
1. Travis Fullarton
2. Dan Lacosta
3. Bryce Swan
4. Colby Pridham
5. Chad Denny
6. Dion Campbell

4th year and questionable
1. Josh Kidd (I Believe is done do to his full year in Pro Hockey)
2. Tim Priamo
3. Daine Todd
4. Ben Wright
5. Matt Fillier
6. Ben Shutron
7. Chris Culligan
8. Luke Lynes (with next seasons Roster Cap UNB will not waste a spot on Luke - Concussion)

That Leaves UNB with the Following Players for sure
F-Antoine Houde Caron
F-Cam Braes
F-Nick MacNeil
F-Taylor Macdougall
F-Cam Critchelow
F-Tyler Carroll
F-Stefan Saluturo
F-Thomas Nesbitt

D-Marc-Antoines Desnoyers
D-Adrian Robertson

By UNB Standards Their will be alot of holes to fill, looks like a Big Overhaul on D, with the exception of Braes, MacNeil, Carroll and Nesbitt in that group, they need some guys that can regularly Score!

Old
02-04-2013, 07:24 AM
cishockeyfan

Heading into the Post Season, any injury updates, is UNB being precautionary with some guys right now?

Josh Kidd - Is his Concussion an end to his season?
Adrian Robertson - ???
Tyler Carroll - I keep hearing hell play next game but he hasn't (Cause of a eye poke?)

I was surprised to see campbell and critchelow both on Culligans line againts STU, What about Thomas Nesbitt? He leads UNB in shots on goal has great speed has played better lately, but yet seems to get the least of the Ice Time out of all of UNB's Top 3 Line Players. I see him as a good fit for Culligans Line with Tyler Carroll on the Left Side. MacNeil has been a good click with Pridham and Swan, which would leave Cam Braes to Center a very good third line

Old
02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Heading into the Post Season, any injury updates, is UNB being precautionary with some guys right now?

Josh Kidd - Is his Concussion an end to his season?
Adrian Robertson - ???
Tyler Carroll - I keep hearing hell play next game but he hasn't (Cause of a eye poke?)

I was surprised to see campbell and critchelow both on Culligans line againts STU, What about Thomas Nesbitt? He leads UNB in shots on goal has great speed has played better lately, but yet seems to get the least of the Ice Time out of all of UNB's Top 3 Line Players. I see him as a good fit for Culligans Line with Tyler Carroll on the Left Side. MacNeil has been a good click with Pridham and Swan, which would leave Cam Braes to Center a very good third line
Coach Mac said Kidd is skating and may be available for playoffs. Robertson is close, and probably will be ready. The same with Carroll. I wouldn't be surprised if either of those two play a bit on Friday. As it is, he's easing Braes back into the lineup by having him just play on the power play.

Gardiner is experimenting with his lines a bit, since he has that luxury. Nesbitt played with Culligan and MacNeil two weekends ago. Swan is a bit banged up from practice, so that created another opportunity to juggle the lines Saturday.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:14 PM
gleanerguy

Todd switched from business after first year to engineering. I suspect he'll be back. Priamo, unless he gets a pro opportunity, will pursue his MBA...he'll likely return as well, I would think.

Old
02-04-2013, 06:54 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

With Todd remember that this is his 4th year eligibility-wise, but his 5th year academic-wise after he got a year of eligibility back after missing a season. Although if he switched programs, especially to one as demanding as engineering, I can see it taking 6 years to complete, especially since he would probably only be able to use some of his business classes towards an engineering degree (in the form of electives).

Old
02-05-2013, 07:15 AM
FreddtFoyle

The majority of Engineering students at UNB take five years to get their degree, even though it is now a "four-year" program, so I wouldn't be surprised if Daine Todd and Matt Fillier end up taking five years to graduate (and play hockey). It would be perfectly normal.

On the other hand, most CHL grads only have four years of education packages from the Q, Dub, or OHL, so there is a definite incentive to graduate in four years, if possible, while funded and then head to the minor pros or the working world.

The fifth year of hockey at UNB, and probably most other programs, is an option year. The coach's option. With the roster cap starting next year I can envision it being even harder for players to hang around for their fifth year, unless they make a solid contribution on the ice.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Rob

Just heard that the first two games of their semi-final will be on the 21st and 22nd.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Big Bad Jon

Who do the Vreds want to play in Semi's and why?

My vote is for Stfx...even though our playoff history with these guys isn't great, UPEI is solid right now and Moncton is very very dangerous if they get solid goaltending (like Friday night).

What do you think?

Old
02-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Rob

For some reason I still would rather face the Panthers. X can still smother us with D.

Anyone have an update on Carroll?

Old
02-10-2013, 02:20 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
For some reason I still would rather face the Panthers. X can still smother us with D.

Anyone have an update on Carroll?
Moncton/X/UPEI in that order for me. Moncton likes to play a similar style as UNB so I think that plays in our favour....UPEI matches up well against the V-Reds this year (as evidenced by the 3 one goal games between the two) and they have the best goalie in the league so I am a bit weary of them.

I heard both Carroll and Kidd probably could have played against Moncton...so barring anything unexpected UNB should go into the playoffs with everyone healthy.

Closed Thread