HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Stamkos actually getting better?

Old
02-03-2013, 10:59 AM
16 To Stanley*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Stamkos is not a dynamic player. He is the best goalscorer, probably highest offensive hockey IQ in the game. He is ALWAYS open, ALWAYS in the right spot.

Stamkos doesn't drive the flow of the game when he's on the ice. He will have a longer dominant career because his game is relatively quiet and he doesn't attract a ton of abuse or attraction because he isn't always on the puck. Guys like Crosby and Malkin are more dynamic players and dominate the puck - but that comes with consequences in that they have to endure the physical abuse from D men as they carry the puck. Stamkos, on the other hand, just gets open and fires away. Obviously, Stamkos's play is more reliant on other players.
while i don't necessarily disagree with this and obviously crosby and malkin have both had there fair share of injuries, it's not like there games have really slowed, specifically malkins, who had arguably his best season ever least year. Also, Stamkos is 22, not that i wish injury on him at all, but lets see how healthy he is at 25/26. Everyone in the league knows how good he is, which means they'll all be gunning for him.

I'm a rangers fan and i feel Gaborik is kind of similar to stamkos, on a much lower level. You don't really notice him but he'll all of a sudden be open or on a breakaway and scoring.

controlling the flow of a game puts a player on a different level. Stamkos is a great player but I just don't see him on that legendary level.

16 To Stanley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:07 AM
SnowblindNYR

Was I the only one that thought that Stamkos would have a career similar to Tavares now and Tavares, similar to Stamkos when they were drafted? I thought Tavares was the goal scorer and Stamkos was the well rounded player who was not as good of a goal scorer.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:25 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

In my books he is already right up there with Crosby, Malkin and Ovetchkin.

This guy is still only 22 years and has three (3) consecutive 90+ points seasons. Not to mention he plays for team that has in last five years made the playoffs once.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:27 AM
HavlatMach9

Doesn't Stamkos always have a good start to the season? Regardless, will be the best goal scorer of this generation.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

He's awesome and getting better, but he's like a Bossy as Toews is like a Trottier and Karlsson is like a Potvin. Not saying that these are comparisons in playing style but which of these players were more important to the Isles dynasty?

I wouldn't argue with Stamkos being one of the "big three" although I would be more likely to build a team around guys like Toews and Karlsson.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Stammer IMO is the best goal scorer and arguably the second best player.

edit: don't wanna be a ****

Last edited by Cory Trevor: 02-03-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Goal scorer and has worked his ass off on his game every offseason. He's getting better and he's still young as ****. Happy he's in a bolts uni that's for sure.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Stamkos is amazing to watch.

02-03-2013, 11:59 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post

Insane shot
Even in slow motion you can't see the puck.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:01 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
I wouldn't argue with Stamkos being one of the "big three" although I would be more likely to build a team around guys like Toews and Karlsson.
Someone who can put up 60 and 90 point production? I mean no disrespect by this but I think you are the only one outside of Chicago who would argue that point.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
he wasn't even playing that well for the first 5 games, still isn't completely up to speed either.
yep

nice that hes been producing
but he had a slow start in terms of play
and now he is improving and can get even better

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Even in slow motion you can't see the puck.
yah it's just ridiculous

Old
02-03-2013, 12:27 PM
hfgreg
Obviously...

eh.. stamkos is great.

Last edited by hfgreg: 02-03-2013 at 12:33 PM.
hfgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:05 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Stamkos is not a dynamic player. He is the best goalscorer, probably highest offensive hockey IQ in the game. He is ALWAYS open, ALWAYS in the right spot.

Stamkos doesn't drive the flow of the game when he's on the ice. He will have a longer dominant career because his game is relatively quiet and he doesn't attract a ton of abuse or attraction because he isn't always on the puck. Guys like Crosby and Malkin are more dynamic players and dominate the puck - but that comes with consequences in that they have to endure the physical abuse from D men as they carry the puck. Stamkos, on the other hand, just gets open and fires away. Obviously, Stamkos's play is more reliant on other players.
Stamkos is a silent killer, which is what makes him so dangerous. I remember during his breakout year reading an article where St. Louis credited Stamkos will rejuvenating his game and the way he thought about playing out there, so I think that's a real credit to the way Stamkos can think the game.

If you were to draw a larger crease around the goalie crease, I'll bet you'd see Stamkos circling that area like a shark, ready to pounce on any centering pass or loose puck at any moment.

And you know, the weird thing about Stamkos is he's well equipped to play the role of a more dynamic center out there. He's a fantastic skater, great hockey sense and is a great puckhandler. I'll be interested to see where his game evolves to in the eventuality that St. Louis slows down or retires.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:11 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
I'll repeat what I've been saying the last couple years. The scariest thing about Stamkos isn't his soft hands or ridiculous shot. . . . . it's that he's still only 22 years old.
Goal scorers peak around that age though. I think he hits his peak in 2 years if he hasn' gotten to it yet.

Hope I'm wrong though, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yzerplan View Post
To me he has looked much weaker than last season.
I wouldn't sat much weaker any more. Looked rusty and even little slow the first few games. Still not 100%. But he produces anyway, lol.

He's playing better D but skating doesn't have that jump imo and he's losing pretty many puck battles.

The kid is just warming up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Doesn't Stamkos always have a good start to the season? Regardless, will be the best goal scorer of this generation.
No. Last season was slow too.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
haveandare

He reminds me of Ovechkin in his prime in that the opposition knows what he's going to do, but they can't stop him. Like OV used to do the streak down the side and use the D man as a screen, Stamkos scores an absurd amount of goals with one timers from the circle, but he's so good at it that knowing he's going for it isn't enough to stop him. Very impressive. That shot is absurd.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Yzlamic Preacher
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I think he's an amazing player, but Crosby/Malkin have 7 100 pt seasons between them and are only 25/26 years old themselves. I think Stamkos still has a bit to prove before he's put on their level.
When one of them hit 60 goals once in there careers, you can put them on Stamkos' level.

Yzlamic Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
He reminds me of Ovechkin in his prime in that the opposition knows what he's going to do, but they can't stop him. Like OV used to do the streak down the side and use the D man as a screen, Stamkos scores an absurd amount of goals with one timers from the circle, but he's so good at it that knowing he's going for it isn't enough to stop him. Very impressive. That shot is absurd.
But he also has a garbage goal dimension in close that is completely surprising considering he's not challenging the D physically like Holmstrom. He seems to just circle like a shark and can pounce at any moment in any position so long as he's close to the net.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
He's invisible on the ice.... Then he scores

02-03-2013, 02:13 PM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Like all natural snipers.

Do nothing, hear nothing and then it's in the back of your net.

The guy needs one chance. When he gets the puck in the offensive zone against the Bruins I literally hold my breath with nothing but hope that the puck leaves the zone. He is scary good.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:18 PM
GuineaPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Del Ziti View Post
Any time Stamkos starts circling at the hash marks the Jaws theme starts playing in my head.

GuineaPig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:38 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Like all natural snipers.

Do nothing, hear nothing and then it's in the back of your net.

The guy needs one chance. When he gets the puck in the offensive zone against the Bruins I literally hold my breath with nothing but hope that the puck leaves the zone. He is scary good.
I love when the B's play the Bolts. I get to watch some of my favorite players in Stamkos St. Louis and Patrice. Anytime St. Louis or Stamkos get near the puck, it really does make my heart rate go up, I feel like I'm about to have a heart attack.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Puckgenius*

Dupuis-Stamkos-Kunitz

How many points does SS put up? Does he match Crosby?

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:42 PM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Yeah, but look from where he has scored his 60 goals last season (see infographic and YT below). It's actually not that many from the left circle.

(long version)

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs151 View Post
The guy is unreal. 7 goals 16 points in 8 games. He hasnt really had one stupid point night (vanek as example). He just produces every night. Can he actually improve production wise? Last year he had 60 goals 97 points. Anyone think he can go over a 60 goal pace 100 points over 82 this season. Hes turning 23 this month and realistically an elite player is at his peak between 22-25 as an average.

The real question is. Can he be a legit threat to be the new number 1 in the nhl? What would he have to do in your opinion? Score 40 goals? 70 points? Art ross? Rocket richard? Mvp? All three? Win a cup? What will it take? It seems like hes on the verge of number 1, considering what he has done in the last 3 years at such a youg age.

Sorry if there is a thread on him. I looked and didnt see one and thought he deserved it. Its still to early but hes showing signs that he could possibly dethrone crosby and malkin.
Vanek has had at least a point in every game he's played. He's had two 5 point games, not one "stupid one".

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote