HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 8: Blues at Red Wings 2/1/13 at 6:30 CST

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 11:03 AM
  #401
Big Al 2
Registered User
 
Big Al 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
My take on the Backes game misconduct incident Friday : I think the NHL needs some sort of limited coaches challenge to avoid these situations. They can be game deciding, as was the case against the Blues in Detroit. They just need to limit the challenge to one a game and you lose a time out or get a delay of game if you're wrong. Thoughts?
I think some sort of penalties for the referees making bad calls is the only way to solve the problem. The refs answer to no one and until they get some sort or fines or penalties it won't get better. Obviously these guys don't blow calls on purpose but if their $ was on the line you'd see a higher standard.

Big Al 2 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
  #402
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 9,993
vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al 2 View Post
I think some sort of penalties for the referees making bad calls is the only way to solve the problem. The refs answer to no one and until they get some sort or fines or penalties it won't get better. Obviously these guys don't blow calls on purpose but if their $ was on the line you'd see a higher standard.
I don't think that raises the standard, rather you'll see more "missed" calls.

There shouldn't be fines or penalties, but I would say that their salaries shouldn't be standard. Their annual reviews should grade their performance over the last year and whatever band they fall into should determine their salary for the following year. Not about punishing bad performance, but rewarding good performance. We all want some public accountability, but I don't think that particularly helps matters, rather make a tough job tougher.

As for coaches challenge or whatever... I think the most basic thing to do is that all major penalties are video reviewed. It has such an impact on the game, no matter what, it should only ever be enforced when they are sure it is the correct decision.

I hope what happened causes some sort of change down the line, but I doubt it will. It is going to take a team to suffer the same situation in the playoffs before it wakes the League up.

Alklha is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 01:36 PM
  #403
417blues
Registered User
 
417blues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Springfield
Country: United States
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
My take on the Backes game misconduct incident Friday : I think the NHL needs some sort of limited coaches challenge to avoid these situations. They can be game deciding, as was the case against the Blues in Detroit. They just need to limit the challenge to one a game and you lose a time out or get a delay of game if you're wrong. Thoughts?
I agree that a challenge could be useful - but if it cost a time out, would teams still get only one time out per game? I prefer the challenge-for-penalty idea, but not in every situation:

I don't think you'd need to charge a delay of game penalty in a situation like the Backes hit; he's already penalized, so in this case, a successful challenge would result in a reversal of the penalty. If unsuccessful, the penalty stands.

In a case where the coach *wants* a penalty called where there wasn't one, then then a trade for a penalty makes more sense. Delay of game seems to be the appropriate penalty but who would serve the minor if the challenge is unsuccessful?

(As an aside, in re: "Game Deciding" - in a game where the Blues get caught with too many men on the ice, it's hard to call any other penalty game-deciding.)

417blues is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:21 PM
  #404
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW
 
STLBLUES44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417blues View Post
I agree that a challenge could be useful - but if it cost a time out, would teams still get only one time out per game? I prefer the challenge-for-penalty idea, but not in every situation:

I don't think you'd need to charge a delay of game penalty in a situation like the Backes hit; he's already penalized, so in this case, a successful challenge would result in a reversal of the penalty. If unsuccessful, the penalty stands.

In a case where the coach *wants* a penalty called where there wasn't one, then then a trade for a penalty makes more sense. Delay of game seems to be the appropriate penalty but who would serve the minor if the challenge is unsuccessful?

(As an aside, in re: "Game Deciding" - in a game where the Blues get caught with too many men on the ice, it's hard to call any other penalty game-deciding.)
i say u shouldn't be penalized if your. wrong i think that u should get the option of either having one challenge or one timeout during a game and the challenge can only come if you don't think a penalty should be called on your player... not for if u think your guy drew one but didn't get the call

STLBLUES44 is offline  
Old
02-04-2013, 03:23 PM
  #405
Twisted Blue
Registered User
 
Twisted Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
My take on the Backes game misconduct incident Friday : I think the NHL needs some sort of limited coaches challenge to avoid these situations. They can be game deciding, as was the case against the Blues in Detroit. They just need to limit the challenge to one a game and you lose a time out or get a delay of game if you're wrong. Thoughts?
Leave the coaches out of it and let the officials review major penalties from a monitor to determine if an ejection is warranted. If they didn't see it then they have no reason to blow the whistle, but I have no problem letting the official review a penalty to determine the severity of the punishment.

Twisted Blue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.