HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012-2013 Season Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 12:52 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Pietrangelo doesn't have the resume to get paid like Doughty and Karlsson...Yet. No Norris nominations/trophies or team awards, which makes a huge difference in money. If he wants over 7 like some people are saying, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a big holdout. I'd bet every cent I have that Armstrong will try to get him under 6.5, if not 6...Assuming it's not a bridge contract, that may be preferred. Pietrangelo COULD price himself off this team/hinder it with his demands.
I think you're dead wrong about that. He has a good enough resume. However, the Blues are also a budget team and he may end up with a slightly lower contract....but its not because he lacks the resume.

Other teams game plan around him already. They circle his number in their boards. Everyone in the league knows he is the real deal, and his agents certainly do too. He's going to be well paid, and probably the highest paid player on the team.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:15 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

vCash: 500
Whether we want to admit it or not, Petro doesn't have the resume that these other guys have. That's not to say he's not as good, but he hasn't received the recognition...Which should mean less money, IF he signs now. If they wait until the end of the season, he's going to get paid a lot...Especially if he does get the attention he should have gotten last year.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Whether we want to admit it or not, Petro doesn't have the resume that these other guys have. That's not to say he's not as good, but he hasn't received the recognition...Which should mean less money, IF he signs now. If they wait until the end of the season, he's going to get paid a lot...Especially if he does get the attention he should have gotten last year.
It isn't abut it admitting it, it is about a matter of facts. Karlsson signed $6.5m/7y when he was top 3 in Norris voting in his third year. Petro was top 4 in his second year. He has the resume to get exactly what Karlsson got.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:58 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

But he didn't get nominated, and that's (unfortunately for Petro) what matters.

Fact: Karlsson won the Norris

Fact: Doughty was nominated

Fact: Myers won the Calder

Fact: Pietrangelo has had 2 great seasons, but hasn't accomplished any of those 3 feats

Old
02-03-2013, 02:02 PM
OCTA8ON*

FACT: The NHL is biased towards large market teams in many different ways.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Alklha

Quote:
But he didn't get nominated, and that's (unfortunately for Petro) what matters.

Fact: Karlsson won the Norris

Fact: Doughty was nominated

Fact: Myers won the Calder

Fact: Pietrangelo has had 2 great seasons, but hasn't accomplished any of those 3 feats
You honestly believe that finishing fourth is significantly different to finishing third (Doughty) to Alex Pietrangelo's agent and the GM's around the League? It might matter to casual fans because they'll hear the names of the finalists a lot more, but it isn't going to make a big difference to the guys that offer the contracts.

We could go round in circles here, but anything under $6.5m is a steal compared to the other contracts around the League.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

To be honest, yes, I do expect him to get less than 6.5 if he signs soon.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:44 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'll be shocked if it's less than 6.5M per for Petro. Doug Armstrong knows how to get good contracts but he's not stupid. The key to this entire franchise is having Alex Pietrangelo play hockey for the Blues. He won't be penny-wise, pound-foolish when it comes to Petro's contract. It has nothing IMO to do with the recognition and everything to do with the obvious elite play of the guy that everyone can see.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

I'm guessing Pietro signs somewhere around 6.5 to 7. I don't see him going too much higher or lower. But that depends how long he signs for and what the conditions of the contract are.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Army has a great history of signing players to very reasonable contracts, but he's not going to mess around with Petro. Everyone, including his agent, knows this team is a middle of the pack team at best without him. He has a lot of leverage in this situation, and I'd be surprised if he signs for less than 6.5. He's the player that the Blues absolutely cannot afford to lose. Army knows hockey, and I don't think it will be all that difficult to convince Stillman, who also knows the game, to sign off on a long term, reasonably big money contract. I really hope they don't screw around with him and potentially piss him off. Something reasonable.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:00 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Army has a great history of signing players to very reasonable contracts, but he's not going to mess around with Petro. Everyone, including his agent, knows this team is a middle of the pack team at best without him. He has a lot of leverage in this situation, and I'd be surprised if he signs for less than 6.5. He's the player that the Blues absolutely cannot afford to lose. Army knows hockey, and I don't think it will be all that difficult to convince Stillman, who also knows the game, to sign off on a long term, reasonably big money contract. I really hope they don't screw around with him and potentially piss him off. Something reasonable.
I would try to sign him for slightly less then Karlsson I would probably start negotiations at around 5 million 8 year deal and hope to settle around 6-6.5 million. I would try to use the cap going down as a little leverage to get him signed for less then Karlsson.

Old
02-04-2013, 11:57 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Tarasenko has been named rookie of the month. I'm a little surprised he was chosen over Conacher, but I'm very happy for him.

EDIT: Palushaj has been placed on waivers. I'm not advising that we should pick him up, just thought it was interesting.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 02-04-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old
02-04-2013, 01:54 PM
BlueDream

Wonder what the lineup will be tomorrow night. I would actually keep D'Agostini in there...I know it's just 1 goal but might as well play him and see what he can do.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:07 PM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Wonder what the lineup will be tomorrow night. I would actually keep D'Agostini in there...I know it's just 1 goal but might as well play him and see what he can do.
I agree, I thought he looked good the other night, maybe sit Schwartz and let Dags play with Berglund and Stew. I like Sobotka but I prefer him on the 4th line with Nichol and Reaves.

Old
02-04-2013, 03:19 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
I agree, I thought he looked good the other night, maybe sit Schwartz and let Dags play with Berglund and Stew. I like Sobotka but I prefer him on the 4th line with Nichol and Reaves.
It's crazy the winger depth we have when we have trouble finding a spot for a guy liek Dags. Dags could probably fill a top 6 spot on a decent amount of the teams in the NHL. Ideally he would be a 2/3 tweener though.

Old
02-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Alklha

What is your preferred line-up going forward now?

Perron - Backes - Oshie
Schwartz - Berglund - Stewart
McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko
Sobotka - Nichol - Reaves

Cole - Pietrangelo
Jackman - Shattenkirk
Russell - Polák

Basically the same lineup most of us had before the season started. Just feels that we are looking for problems that don't exist with the way we are changing the line up.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
BlueDream

Agreed.

Right now Langenbrunner just shouldn't play. I'd rather have Porter over him easily.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Anyone else feel that Perron is being way too much of an individual? He misses making so many simple plays. He has become predictable to defend IMO.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

2 game losing streak...it's time to break out this:

Old
02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Agreed.

Right now Langenbrunner just shouldn't play. I'd rather have Porter over him easily.

Fun fact: 18 Blues skaters dressed tonight. Only 1 was not negative in plus/minus. Guess who.

Old
02-05-2013, 09:50 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Anyone else feel that Perron is being way too much of an individual? He misses making so many simple plays. He has become predictable to defend IMO.
I bet I know the play that prompted this... skating aimlessly back towards the Preds blueline with a few minutes to go when he had a simple pass to the point a couple of seconds prior that would easily have retained possession. It can be more than a little annoying.

I won't be too critical of it tonight because they were all guilty of some really stupid plays. Backes and Oshie with the stupid short passes at the Preds blueline when we were on the PP to start the third is another example.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I bet I know the play that prompted this... skating aimlessly back towards the Preds blueline with a few minutes to go when he had a simple pass to the point a couple of seconds prior that would easily have retained possession. It can be more than a little annoying.

I won't be too critical of it tonight because they were all guilty of some really stupid plays. Backes and Oshie with the stupid short passes at the Preds blueline when we were on the PP to start the third is another example.
I am not just talking about tonight or one play. It was something I thought me might grow out of, but I no longer think that is going to happen.

He really does mirror Kovelev. Both the good and the bad.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
Yeah he tries to do everything himself instead of passing the puck. It's incredibly frustrating to watch.

Old
02-05-2013, 10:57 PM
sh724

Perron has been like that for quite some time, which is why I said in a previous GDT him and Tarasenko would not be good together.

Its good that he can play keep away but he needs to realize just because he can stick handle does not mean he should do it every time he has the puck. Some times it is best to make a quick pass or shot instead of skating around looking for the shot.

When he drew the penalty tonight instead of getting back in the play he laid on the ice for a minute and after he realized the whistle wasnt going to blow right away he jumped up and started looking for some one to pass him the puck for a one timer instead of actually getting up and getting involved in the play.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:03 AM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Since Janssen and Crombeen have left the Blues, they've been getting their tail whooped.

Closed Thread