HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 09:55 AM
BigG44

vCash: 475
TSN will be showing Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings tonight at 9:30 PM Central.

Anyone know of a feed for tonight?

Old
01-30-2013, 11:13 AM
txomisc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
TSN will be showing Bob McKenzie's mid-season rankings tonight at 9:30 PM Central.

Ive never found one that works before the show but tsn does usually put the video up right after the show.

Old
01-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Been looking forward to seeing his rankings.

Old
01-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:

Not on NHL network?

Old
01-30-2013, 09:33 PM
BigG44

Draft show should be on now. I'm guessing the Top 60 list won't be published until after the show.

I think Dallas really needs to push to add two more picks in the Top 60.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:41 PM
TrillMike

I really wish there was a way to add regular TSN to our cable/dish down here.

Edit: just for stuff like this. Couldn't care less about the newest Leaf or guy who doesn't speak French in MTL.

Old
01-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Draft show should be on now. I'm guessing the Top 60 list won't be published until after the show.

I think Dallas really needs to push to add two more picks in the Top 60.
http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9840

Actually it is up.

I've never seen so many African-Canadian/African-American prospects in a top 60 before.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:04 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Getting a top ten pick in this draft is a must. My question is if toward the bottom of that McKenzie list would Niewendyk even remotely consider taking a Russian? We've passed on Kulikov in the past and more than one team wishes they'd taken on Tarashenko. I don't want the lesser talent because they're North American/Scandinavian. Any of the top five would be a dream but I'm not sure Lehtonen lets us fall far enough to get one of those coveted picks.

Old
01-31-2013, 12:11 AM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Getting a top ten pick in this draft is a must. My question is if toward the bottom of that McKenzie list would Niewendyk even remotely consider taking a Russian? We've passed on Kulikov in the past and more than one team wishes they'd taken on Tarashenko. I don't want the lesser talent because they're North American/Scandinavian. Any of the top five would be a dream but I'm not sure Lehtonen lets us fall far enough to get one of those coveted picks.
After passing on Kulikov I don't think the team makes that mistake again. I could see us taking a guy like Zadorov who has shown his willingness to be an NHL player by already coming to America. I do not see us drafting any player that is playing in the KHL and I think other teams will be very weary to do so too.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
BigG44

Just a reminder: One of the new rules with drafting is you hold on to players drafted out of European leagues for 4 years now instead of two.

I don't believe that will influence Dallas to take a Russian in the first round, and I'd be stunned if they took one in the Top 10.

Kulikov, a CHLer at the time, was a decision under Bernhardt. He's gone, and there really hasn't been a high profile Russian CHLer who should have gone around Oleksiak or Faksa that I can think of. I'd like to think that Les Jackson wouldn't make a similar mistake with a guy like Zadorov.

I still think though that Dallas is more likely to be picking from 11-20 on McKenzie's list and probably Top 15. Frederik Gauthier stuck out to me even though Dallas hasn't taken many Q players, and I can't even think of the last Q forward they drafted.

Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

So toolsy for a big man. Speed, hands, and two-way sense. RT @DiehardOil: @coreypronman Looking for your take on Frederik Gauthier?
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/ars...ts-on-round-1/
Quote:
He may look small next to Morin, but Frederik Gauthier is no slouch. Playing in his first QMJHL season, Gauthier not only leads QMJHL rookies in scoring, but also sits atop his team scoring race. After strongly considering the NCAA route, Gauthier stayed home to play Midget AAA last year before eventually electing to pursue a career through the QMJHL. It appears that the extra year of Midget has had some positive effects as Gauthier carried his team to a berth in the Telus Cup last year while developing into a polished two-way center.

To sound cliche, the sky may be the limit for Gauthier. While there’s still a lot of room for growth and development, Gauthier skates very well and obviously has the type of size that NHL teams will salivate over. The left-shot center plays well with linemates and has quickly developed natural chemistry with Peter Trainor and Scott Oke this season. There’s still a lot of hockey left to be played this year, but it’s become quite clear that Gauthier is a player who is flying under the radar. At this point, the 1st round certainly wouldn’t be out of the question if he can continue to produce at his current clip while showing all-around improvement.
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...-qmjhl-report/
Quote:
4 – Frederik Gauthier, Rimouski Oceanic – C
Mid-Way through his rookie QMJHL season, Gauthier’s decision to stay in Canada over the NCAA route seems like a good one. He’s the type of player every coach dreams about. He’s got size, skill and smarts and he knows how to use all his tools. The towering center is capable of being a good shutdown center while also scoring goals. Gauthier has earned key minutes and the trust of coach Serge Beausoleil which is important for his development moving forward.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
BigG44

Oh yeah ... and too bad that new Euro rule wasn't in place sooner. Dallas already has shown a willingness to select guys from across the bond, but I think we could see even more ... especially goalies.

Kiviaho seems to be doing well in Finland, but he's not the type a guy you want to have to make a decision on in only two years. He's the perfect type of a player to have 4 years to make a decision on. Now, I imagine he will earn a contract, and he'll like take up a contract space despite staying for several more years in Europe to develop.

It would have also been nice to delay signing a guy like Klingberg, and Esa Lindell probably needs more than just two years in Europe before he's ready for the AHL. With 4 years to evaluate a player, Dallas might have even more confidence to roll the dice on guys like Klingberg and Molin in lower leagues.

Old
01-31-2013, 07:31 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Added a poll since the season is underway.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
01-31-2013, 07:39 AM
BigG44

This sucks a bit .... I don't want to vote too early because I'm obviously a bit down on the team.

11-15 is probably where I would have voted to start the season because I wouldn't have felt comfortable locking them into a playoff spot at 16-20.

7 games in, I think it's clear the team goes wherever Lehtonen goes, and I think there are legitimate concerns about him being overused and potentially being injured. That makes me at least consider 6-10 as a possibility.

I'll go with give me a few more weeks, and for now I'd say 5 to 15.

Last edited by BigG44: 01-31-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old
01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
English stars fan

Honestly don't think we can pull it together in this shortened season. The D is terrible and Gulutzan doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. 6-10. Though if we were in that range I'd like us to try and trade up for Jones.

Old
01-31-2013, 09:46 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by English stars fan View Post
Honestly don't think we can pull it together in this shortened season. The D is terrible and Gulutzan doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. 6-10. Though if we were in that range I'd like us to try and trade up for Jones.
I'll be stunned if someone pass on drafting Top 3 this year. You'd likely have to make an absolutely terrible offer (for your franchise) to get one of those picks. I could see some movement between the Top picks if one team has a very strong feeling about a particular player and another team is happy with any of the Top 3 though.

Personally, I think it should be the Top 4 with Barkov in that group, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. A 17 year old dominating men in Finland is pretty remarkable.

Old
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
Yeah, trading up into the stratosphere of the draft is pretty much impossible. Luckily, I think this team has what it takes to get there on their own merits (or lack thereof).

Old
01-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Dallasman

Use a few of those thirds to move up into the 2nd for another pick.

I picked the 6-10 category. Can't see them sucking enough to get a Top 5 pick but hey, maybe they'll finally do it and reward us with a decent player to build around!

Old
01-31-2013, 10:50 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
maybe they'll finally do it and reward us with a decent player to build around!
His development could stall, and we know Dallas has a pretty terrible track record with defenders .....

Still, they might already have a major building block in Oleksiak. It would obviously be nice to pick higher, but even later picks like Chiasson, Ritchie, and Smith are gradually developing into core players.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:18 AM
txomisc

Quote:
I'll be stunned if someone pass on drafting Top 3 this year. You'd likely have to make an absolutely terrible offer (for your franchise) to get one of those picks. I could see some movement between the Top picks if one team has a very strong feeling about a particular player and another team is happy with any of the Top 3 though.

Personally, I think it should be the Top 4 with Barkov in that group, but that doesn't seem to be the case yet. A 17 year old dominating men in Finland is pretty remarkable.
I think Barkov wore down a bit and didnt have a great WJC so it slowed his hype a little. He can still get up there to solidify a group of four. Of course the other thing is it seems alot of people like Lindholm just as much as Barkov and then you have Monahan who screams Sean Couturier to me. I love that the early half of this draft looks very Center and D heavy right now.

Old
01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
txomisc

I went with 11-15th. Barring goaltending injuries (which i dont want to count on) i just dont see the team as bad enough to be top 10. There will be stretches were the offensive firepower shines through and the team will have some solid winning streaks. There will stretches of uninspired play where Kari steals points. There are too many teams who dont have elite goaltending, good defense, or good offense for dallas to be that low.

Old
01-31-2013, 03:21 PM
usefulfiction

I went with 1 - 5. If we're out of the playoff hunt I can't see us NOT being sellers at deadline. My hope is we slip into the top pick and cement our core for the next 10 years. A top 4 pick would create tradable depth at the forward position that could be used to help bring in a top pairing D. I have a gut feel that this is year we bottom out.

Old
01-31-2013, 04:22 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Adam Erne or Mantha please.

Old
01-31-2013, 08:06 PM
WhoahNow

After watching the tsn top 30 there was very few players I wouldn't really want. Obviously a top 5 pick this year would be huge, but the top 20 or so look really good!

Old
01-31-2013, 08:53 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
I still just don't see the depth in this draft for whatever reason.

We should probably go with a forward, but the defenders are sticking out to me the most this year.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:35 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Would Seth Jones be the best defenseman on the team right now? I feel like he would.

Closed Thread