HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: Where will Dallas pick for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft?
1st-5th 14 22.58%
6th-10th 26 41.94%
11th-15th 16 25.81%
16th-20th 4 6.45%
21st-25th 1 1.61%
26th-30th 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 02:37 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairylikebear View Post
Would Seth Jones be the best defenseman on the team right now? I feel like he would.
Pretty easily, IMO. He'd be the best defenseman on this team since Zubov right now.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Pretty easily, IMO. He'd be the best defenseman on this team since Zubov right now.
Right this second, today? That's very doubtful. Earlier this year, people were whining that he had an apparent slow start adjusting to the higher competition of the WHL. He would have likely been eaten alive as an NHLer this season.

He's a fantastic talent, and I'd do just about anything for Dallas to draft him, but it's doubtful he would succeed as a 17/just turned 18 year old in the NHL.

Dallas is in a bad place right now, but we should probably try and be realistic.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Right this second, today? That's very doubtful. Earlier this year, people were whining that he had an apparent slow start adjusting to the higher competition of the WHL. He would have likely been eaten alive as an NHLer this season.

He's a fantastic talent, and I'd do just about anything for Dallas to draft him, but it's doubtful he would succeed as a 17/just turned 18 year old in the NHL.

Dallas is in a bad place right now, but we should probably try and be realistic.
I think the more important thing in my mind is whether we have or will have a proper system in place that can help him develop and fulfill his potential- even if he is Zubov-, Pronger-, or Chara-esque. Seeing three recently drafted d-men (Grossmann, Fistric, and Niskanen) playing on other teams does not make me very optimistic about that.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
I think the more important thing in my mind is whether we have or will have a proper system in place that can help him develop and fulfill his potential- even if he is Zubov-, Pronger-, or Chara-esque. Seeing three recently drafted d-men (Grossmann, Fistric, and Niskanen) playing on other teams does not make me very optimistic about that.
I don't want to look that far ahead since I still believe Jones is just a beautiful, beautiful pipe dream.

Regarding the current D players, picks, and future draft picks, you're right, but as I said in a different thread, is it just the system? They've changed 3 times since they've started pumping out mediocre defender after mediocre defender.

I'd hate to say it's the scouts because they've done such a good job, but maybe they are really good at identifying forwards and not so much with D.

Was it Bernhardt that struggled selecting the right D (Fistric vs. Green)? He was fired three months after the Oleksiak (2011) draft, but if he was fired for Glennie and Campbell as the media and fans have speculated, it's conceivable he wasn't nearly as involved in that draft. So can we start calling the 2011 drafts and beyond the Jackson picks?

Old
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
I don't want to look that far ahead since I still believe Jones is just a beautiful, beautiful pipe dream.
Beautiful, nonetheless.

Quote:
Regarding the current D players, picks, and future draft picks, you're right, but as I said in a different thread, is it just the system? They've changed 3 times since they've started pumping out mediocre defender after mediocre defender.

I'd hate to say it's the scouts because they've done such a good job, but maybe they are really good at identifying forwards and not so much with D.

It's a head-scratcher, I'll tell you that much. IMO, it's most likely the system because Grossmann, Fistric, and Niskanen were not bad picks, even if what came out of them was mediocre.

Quote:
Was it Bernhardt that struggled selecting the right D (Fistric vs. Green)? He was fired three months after the Oleksiak (2011) draft, but if he was fired for Glennie and Campbell as the media and fans have speculated, it's conceivable he wasn't nearly as involved in that draft. So can we start calling the 2011 drafts and beyond the Jackson picks?
Why was he still around 3 months after the 2011 draft if he supposedly wasn't too involved with it? Y'know, for a team undergoing financial difficulties at one point, we seemed to have no problems paying the likes of Tippett, Crawford, and Bernhardt for doing NOTHING.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:14 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
If those guys are succeeding, then I don't see how it's the scouts at all. The scouts are supposed to look for talent - Niskanen and Grossmann seem to have it, it was just never with us, or at least not for very long. It's somewhere along the development process that's screwing them up.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:15 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Why was he still around 3 months after the 2011 draft if he supposedly wasn't too involved with it? Y'know, for a team undergoing financial difficulties at one point, we seemed to have no problems paying the likes of Tippett, Crawford, and Bernhardt for doing NOTHING.
IDK. One reason could be they didn't want him to join another team. I doubt they felt the Campbell pick was a mistake immediately so he was probably heavily involved in the scouting process still most of the 2010-11 season. It's impossible to say at what point he fell out of a favor, but holding on to him probably just prevented another team from finding out Dallas' draft strategy for 2011 should they hire Bernhardt quickly.

I've never really considered it, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to fire a scout mid-season.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:10 PM
StarsFan74

Quote:
IDK. One reason could be they didn't want him to join another team. I doubt they felt the Campbell pick was a mistake immediately so he was probably heavily involved in the scouting process still most of the 2010-11 season. It's impossible to say at what point he fell out of a favor, but holding on to him probably just prevented another team from finding out Dallas' draft strategy for 2011 should they hire Bernhardt quickly.

I've never really considered it, but I don't think it'd be a good idea to fire a scout mid-season.
For 3 months post-draft though? Fire him after the 2010-11 draft and he doesn't get paid 3 months of salary (Gaglardi hadn't even bought the team yet) and, for what its worth, doesn't gather 3 months of information .

Old
02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
BigG44

Quote:
For 3 months post-draft though? Fire him after the 2010-11 draft and he doesn't get paid 3 months of salary (Gaglardi hadn't even bought the team yet) and, for what its worth, doesn't gather 3 months of information .
I assume those positions are under contract just like GM's and coaches. They get paid on or off the roster.

Old
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
BigG44

HF just put out an article on 5 draft eligible players in the NCAA to watch. Quentin Shore sounds like an interesting late round pick.

Quote:
Quentin Shore, C
Freshman, University of Denver

Quentin Shore isn’t the youngest of the four Shore brothers, but he’s the youngest (so far) that has donned the crimson and gold colors of the Pioneers. The Denver, CO native currently leads the team in rookie goal-scoring with seven and is second in points with 14. Shore has played in all 27 games so far and has spent much of the season centering Denver’s outstanding line that also features sophomores Larkin Jacobson and Matt Tabrum. One of Shore’s most memorable games came on Jan. 4th versus Cornell. In that contest, Shore netted a pair of goals, including the game-winner, en route to earning the first of his two WCHA Rookie of the Week honors on the season.

Quentin Shore’s style of play is similar to that of older brothers Drew and Nick. However, Quentin might be the best skater of the three. He skates with smooth, powerful strides, but could stand to develop more foot speed. Like his older brothers, Quentin Shore has size (6’1”. 185 lbs.), superb playmaking ability, a strong work ethic and is excellent on face-offs. He possesses terrific puck skills and is equally adept at both setting up and finishing plays. Shore has great net presence and is willing to pay a price in front of the net. He uses his body effectively in establishing position and that attribute will become more evident as he adds strength to his 6’1” frame.

One characteristic that scouts have been impressed with is Shore’s defensive side. As good as he is offensively, he is just as good defensively. Shore plays remarkably well in all three zones and is effective both on the power play and on the penalty kill. He’s a smart player that sees the ice really well. Although Shore’s reads on developing situations is very good, he will need to be quicker in reacting to them. And that should come with development and maturity.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Think we're looking to unite yet another set of brothers?

Kind of been our thing lately.

02-07-2013, 04:57 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Think we're looking to unite yet another set of brothers?

Kind of been our thing lately.
i dont think devin is related to them

Old
02-07-2013, 05:06 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
He's not.

Old
02-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Oh, alright. Was trying to find anything that said he was but I couldn't.

Figured I'd make the leap.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Okay so if you'll read the prospects thread you can get my thoughts on our right wingers. We're VERY deep there.

We're also very deep on big, physical defenseman. We need a puck mover though, a big one.

So where is the team not set? Left wing. Big time. Dallas only has Guptill (I'm 50/50 on whether or not he'll be a good pro) and Fraser (Another Ryder).

So with the teams current performance during the season (We're going to be a playoff team) these are the two players I'd like Dallas to pick in the draft. I don't like the chances of Dallas making it out of the first round this year, so these guys will most likely be around during the Dallas pick.

Both of these guys are big, and very quick.

Anthony Mantha LW

2010-11 Val d'Or Foreurs QMJHL 2 0 0 0 0 -2 -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 Val d'Or Foreurs QMJHL 63 22 29 51 39 -11 4 2 2 4 6
2012-13 Val d'Or Foreurs QMJHL 55 42 35 77 65 20

This kid is a classic power forward. He gets up to speed very fast, reads the game VERY well, and he's got a shot that he's not afraid to use. Listed at 6'3 and 200 lbs, he still needs still needs to put on about 20 more lbs. He's going to be a force.

This video has ****** resolution and music, but it'll give you a good idea of what type of player he is. Only showcases his scoring, but he can pass very well. Like I was saying though, his vision and hockey IQ are hands down his best assets. Very smart player.

Adam Erne LW

2010-11 Indiana Ice USHL 45 10 8 18 49 -18 3 0 1 1 0
2011-12 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 64 28 27 55 32 6 11 2 4 6 10
2012-13 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 55 22 40 62 50 5

This guy is absolutely dynamic is avery aspect of the offensive zone. Here's a link that really sums up everything about him. He's very quick, and he's got a very quick release.

http://thehockeywriters.com/combine/...spect-profile/
Quote:
Size – At 6’1 and 198 lbs. and likely to get a bit bigger, he has that NHL solid physique that teams are craving for these days.
Speed – A powerful skating stride and good balance makes him appear on the scene in front of the goal all too often these days for opposition goalies. This summer he spent considerable effort on roadwork to build up his acceleration out of the blocks. Check it out for yourself.
Dedication – Just look at his hockey itinerary above and you realize that this is a guy who will do just about anything to make it. He wants to learn and spends the time on and off the ice to do what it takes to improve.
Shot – Bursts off his stick.
Goes to the net – Engages physically to get those power forward type goals.
Dependable – Works the whole ice surface, backchecks, plays well defensively and has been known to deliver some crushing open ice hits. Check out this hit on Olivier Archambault.
Playmaker – Has a nice passing ability and can play centre as well. Nice hands.
Versatile – Can play all three forward positions; can play in an offensive or defensive role as required.
See for yourself :

Both phenomenal players, and would love to have either of them.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:36 PM
BigG44

I think this is a legitimate question, and I'm not dogging those potential picks at all ....

Are you concerned about Dallas' lack of history drafting out of the Q? We know they heavily favor Western Canada usually, and the Ontario area has recently become a place the draft from more as well. IDK if maybe it's just a poor reflection on previous Q draft classes or if Dallas just doesn't scout that region as heavily. I can think of two or three scouts for Western Canada and Ontario.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Erne will likely be a top 10 pick, IMO. Not gonna be around for a playoff team.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:51 PM
BigG44

Quote:

Not laughing at you. This did really make me smile. Just like it was very difficult to not totally give up on this team after the embarrassment in Columbus, it might be even harder not to read too much into this win against Vancouver.

Trying to be cautious with expectations of the team is turning more and more into optimism. Going .500 in the first 10 games was big, but the adversity Dallas overcame last night is definitely something no Dallas team in the last 4 years probably could have done. For once there wasn't a team willing to give up when things got tough.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:00 PM
BigG44

Since it was on my mind, two OJHL players were ranked in the Midterm Central Scouting rankings for North Americans.

134) Matt Buckles, C w/St. Michael's
166) Troy Josephs, C w/St. Michael's

Reilly Smith played for St. Michael's

Old
02-16-2013, 02:06 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I'm not so sure about that. I think it's very possible he's still there at 20-25.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
txomisc

Erne and Mantha would both be good acquisitions but I agree that they dont seem like likely Dallas picks. Now a guy out of the WHL does seem like a Dallas type pick and Ryan Pulock is a guy who seems like he is projecting for the middle of the first round but should be going higher. McKenzie currently has him at 15 and I think that would be a massive steal. He is a well rounded dman with solid size, good instincts and a bomb from the point. A potential first pairing dman.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Quote:
I think this is a legitimate question, and I'm not dogging those potential picks at all ....

Are you concerned about Dallas' lack of history drafting out of the Q? We know they heavily favor Western Canada usually, and the Ontario area has recently become a place the draft from more as well. IDK if maybe it's just a poor reflection on previous Q draft classes or if Dallas just doesn't scout that region as heavily. I can think of two or three scouts for Western Canada and Ontario.
It reflects the comparative lack of talent coming out of the Q compared to other regions. Obviously this year is a little different with MacKinnon and Drouin at the top of the class, but I'm not sure that means the league as a whole is making a comeback.

Also, without seeing the Stars' draft board it's difficult to say for sure whether the org. is actually de-emphasizing the league. They could theoretically have an equal number of Q players ranked throughout but due to the way the picks shake out just not end up taking them.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:10 PM
BigG44

Hmmm ... Matt Buckles fits the bill for Dallas picks coming out of the OJHL:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...uzzes-net.html
Quote:
A power forward in the making, Buckles has grown to 6-foot-1, 204 pounds – he was only 5-foot-8 back in 2011. His size and shot are hallmarks, but he also prides himself on heart.

“I hate to lose individual battles,” he said. “Every time I touch the ice I bring tenacious effort. I just hate to lose.”
http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/matt-buckles/19810/
Quote:
Big Centre-Forward who projects as a power with in the pros. Hard working player whose on-ice commitment is contagious. He shows some scoring ability to go with his fierce competitiveness to win all puck battles. Committed to Cornell.

--Bill Placzek--
Through only 46 games, Buckles has 39 goals, 30 assists, and 69 points. He's also picked up 103 PIM. He's also head to GM Joe Nieuwendyk's old school Cornell.

Some more recent quotes:

Quote:
“I love the attention I get from opposing players,” Buckles said. “The chirps, the extra shots; it really fires me up and makes me play even harder.”

Scouts have taken notice of the six-foot-one, 204-pound forward, who isn’t shy to bully opponents either.

“I’m a big, physical forward, who competes hard, hates to lose, who has a strong shot,” he described.

If Buckles play is any indication, he is right on point. His size and skill set are quite evident, and at times he completely dominates opposing players. His knack for scoring is undeniable.

Last edited by BigG44: 02-16-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 02:38 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:

They absolutely prefer wester Canada for sure. I just put those two up because I see them as being perfect fits for the system and team in a couple of years.

Erne is honestly the guy I'd prefer since he can play all 3 positions and do them well. His work ethic is just monstrous as well.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:10 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Erne and Mantha would both be good acquisitions but I agree that they dont seem like likely Dallas picks. Now a guy out of the WHL does seem like a Dallas type pick and Ryan Pulock is a guy who seems like he is projecting for the middle of the first round but should be going higher. McKenzie currently has him at 15 and I think that would be a massive steal. He is a well rounded dman with solid size, good instincts and a bomb from the point. A potential first pairing dman.
God, I'd kill to get Pulock at 15. I still think he's the 2nd best defender in this draft, RR a close 3rd.

Closed Thread