HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindros To LA?

Old
07-03-2006, 02:01 AM
willie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I wouldn't mind adding a player of his talent and abilities, but it is a HUGE risk with the potential of a big reward if all goes well. I think Lindros will be stuck receiving incentive laden contracts for the rest of his career.
Huge risk??? How in the world is he a huge risk? The worst that can happen is you sign him to a cheap, incentive laden deal, he gets injured and you lose a bit of money. Whoop. Dee. Doo.

And what's the best that can happen? He comes in, puts up a ppg+ for 60+ games, gives you a quality top 6 forward and a guy who could be a great mentor to Kopitar. And - frankly - the guy would be an asset off the ice to boot. Anyone who thinks he has major character issues is seriously stuck in the 90's.

FYI, what was Lindros doing during the lockout? (when I'm sure most guys without families were properly - by and large - partying their brains out...) Going to university. (he was actually in two of my classes... )

His father is no longer a presence in his hockey affairs. And if anyone has paid attention in the past 5 years or so, they'd see Eric has clearly matured significantly to the point where could probably be considered a quality character vet these days. You can tell that all the troubles have really humbled him.

willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:26 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie View Post
Huge risk??? How in the world is he a huge risk? The worst that can happen is you sign him to a cheap, incentive laden deal, he gets injured and you lose a bit of money. Whoop. Dee. Doo.
Think harder. He is a huge risk in the sense that he will be considered to fill an important role on the team and the likelihood of him getting hurt is very high. That is why it is a risk to sign him to a deal, regardless of the price or length, the spot he would be expected to fill would have to be replaced should he get injured.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:39 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Think harder. He is a huge risk in the sense that he will be considered to fill an important role on the team and the likelihood of him getting hurt is very high. That is why it is a risk to sign him to a deal, regardless of the price or length, the spot he would be expected to fill would have to be replaced should he get injured.
Unfortunately, you're right, and this is what happened with JR last season. He was counted on to be the #1 center. When he proved to be ineffective, Conroy had to become the #1. Roenick wasn't suitable as a #2, either, so the 2nd line faltered and the 1st line was the only line that produced. I think that there'd be less risk this time around, though, since the team has twice as many centers as they need. Lindros probably wouldn't be much of a risk, but he wouldn't be early choice of mine. Ask me again if/when Shanahan and any other more-desirable options are scooped up by other team and I'll probably give a different answer. I wouldn't object at all if he were one of few options remaining. The same goes for Nolan, for that matter.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Unfortunately, you're right, and this is what happened with JR last season. He was counted on to be the #1 center. When he proved to be ineffective, Conroy had to become the #1. Roenick wasn't suitable as a #2, either, so the 2nd line faltered and the 1st line was the only line that produced. I think that there'd be less risk this time around, though, since the team has twice as many centers as they need. Lindros probably wouldn't be much of a risk, but he wouldn't be early choice of mine. Ask me again if/when Shanahan and any other more-desirable options are scooped up by other team and I'll probably give a different answer. I wouldn't object at all if he were one of few options remaining. The same goes for Nolan, for that matter.
I think getting Lindros is more of a similar situation to Bure. We signed Bure for 1.5 million which would have been a good deal if he had played but he didn't. There's a huge risk that the same situation would occur if we sign Lindros. Luckily the contract was low but we could have used that 1.5 on someone else. I would love to get Lindros IF, we also get a player like Shanahan. He is way to injury prone to rely on him to help carry a team for a whole season.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:08 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

im hoping we don't sign too many people because I'd really like to see some of our youngsters given a chance

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:14 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life View Post
I think getting Lindros is more of a similar situation to Bure. We signed Bure for 1.5 million which would have been a good deal if he had played but he didn't. There's a huge risk that the same situation would occur if we sign Lindros.
I agree that they're similar, but not that Bure was a huge risk. Bure was actually a very low-risk signing. Most of us had him pegged for the 3rd-line because the team already had 6 top-6ers. He was a spare part. Lindros wouldn't be much different, IMO.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:21 AM
willie

Quote:
I'd advise you to do the same.

For starters, besides ripping our future apart, there is nothing DL can do that can make this team a true playoff lock. Certainly I am not ready to write next year off but I think we should temper our expectations with the realization that - however the remaining offseason goes - we have roughly an equal chance of making or missing the playoffs. If we miss the post-season, given the complex task DL has, it really isn't that big of a deal. In fact, if we really tanked next year partially on account of a Lindros injury, I'm not convinced that would be disadvantageous for the franchise.

Secondly, whose to say we will be inherently reliant on him to fill an important role? We are talking about paying him grinder dough (+ potential incentives to be paid next year) which will not impact our Cap. So we will lose no flexibility in pursuing other options to improve our forward corps. And as it stands, we have at least 5 capable centers who can more than competently eat up 60 minutes of hockey a night.

Lastly, signing a reclamation project like Lindros is probably the only chance the Kings have of actually being better than a fringe playoff team next year. Given the salary cap (budget?) restraints, we only have so much money to improve our team. And it is equally imperative we leave wiggle room for trades in the season.

If your taking the view that it is imperative to make the playoffs next year, then there is some risk in signing him. (but it isn't "HUGE" by any stretch) However, if you are willing to see next year for what it is - a transition year in which making the playoffs is not of absolute necessity - then you'll see why there is virtually no risk in the signing.

Old
07-03-2006, 03:29 AM
nikolai19

If Lindros, Nolan, Shanahan, or Guerin want to come here for less than 3 million and for no more than 2 years, then I'm for it.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 04:19 AM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolai19 View Post
If Lindros, Nolan, Shanahan, or Guerin want to come here for less than 3 million and for no more than 2 years, then I'm for it.
Agreed on Lindros & Nolan. Although both should cost much less than 3 million. (certainly before bonuses anyway)

I am leery on Guerin though. Losing seems to follow him around and he seems to have questionable character. But DL is better positioned to make that judgement and if he likes the move, then I'm okay with it.

And I would be prepared to go higher than 3 million for Shanahan. (on a 1 or 2 yr deal) I'm not certain on our budget situation but I would probably go as high as a 2 year, 10 million dollar deal for Shanny. He'll still be productive, is a quality leader, the team wont be in total cap hell and the next two years are wishy washy anyway in terms of trying to position ourselves as true contenders.

Old
07-03-2006, 05:49 AM
ExplosionsintheGine

God please no Lindros is an ******* a grade A ******** i do not want this guy on my team and hes washed up. hes a *****.

ExplosionsintheGine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:46 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
Eric "China Doll" Lindros? Hell no.

As far as him in the room, ask Brind'Amor what he thinks.

With Conroy, Blake and Norstrom in the room I'd expect him to not say anything.

In Lindros' defense he should have never been the captain in Philly.

He'll get hurt, there's no doubt about that. I believe the rumors of an incentive laden deal with the Leafs, $750K base.

I'd do it. I've had 5 years to get over his time in Philly so I don't hold much animosity either.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4ever View Post
Let me put your minds at ease, since he was rookie he said he will never play in LA.
Yeah but back then people allowed him to be picky about it. If the Leafs said they didn't want him I'm sure he wouldn't mind going anywhere there was interest.

Old
07-03-2006, 07:21 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

All we need is for Lindros and Miller to look at each other cross-eyed and they'd get hurt.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 08:15 AM
Dooney
Love me some Carter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
All we need is for Lindros and Miller to look at each other cross-eyed and they'd get hurt.
Touche' Just say no to Lindros!

Dooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:40 PM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie018 View Post
God please no Lindros is an ******* a grade A ******** i do not want this guy on my team and hes washed up. hes a *****.
****** ******* **** ***** ******** *****************!!!!!

CowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 03:49 PM
gambitlebo

Let's see.....big guy, not real fast, history of injuries, old, questionable leadership and locker room character, and can be had for cheap?

I forget again, are we talking about Allison, Lindros, or (if you forget about the "big guy" part) JR?

I would take all 3, if I was playing NHL 2002.

Sorry, but I'd rather see the beer vendor get promoted first.

By the way, I will take Ruutu.

gambitlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:38 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Tocchet socked Lindros in the face because Lindros was bragging about Bridnd'Amour doing his wife right?

Or was that just a rumor?

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceoffsRLikeWins4Us View Post
Tocchet socked Lindros in the face because Lindros was bragging about Bridnd'Amour doing his wife right?

Or was that just a rumor?
Lindros slept with Brindamour's wife, and Tocchet handled it for Brindamour.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Lindros slept with Brindamour's wife, and Tocchet handled it for Brindamour.
Is this true? lol

I would rather have Allison back over Lindros. Yes, I might be in a minority but I would love to see Allison back in a Kings uniform centering the 1st line and # 1 PP unit.

Old
07-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Kingz4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk View Post
It's true. If Lindros signed for real cheap, it would probably be ok, but we don't want to be in the position where we have to rely on him. That's what I'd be scared of.
I agree.

Old
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't know if it's true, but it's never been denied. And then Clarke had to choose who to keep. He chose wrong.

Old
07-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I think Shanahan did something similar with Craig Janney's wife.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

It is rumored that Tocchet hit EL hard and gave him a concussion and the flyers made up some bs story about how EL pulled a groin or something to that effect.

Dave in LA is offline   Reply With Quote