HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why i am proud to be an isles fan

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2003, 11:50 PM
spence___

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
PR move. That is the be all and end all. Maybe for a few individual players like the Cujo's and the Linden's it means more, but for the GM's and Owners it is PR and puts fans in the seats, and for the players it gets their name in the paper.
I remember reading somewhere that people view other people in terms of their own standards, and like i've said before your just not mature enough to understand their unselfish behavior because you have no experiance yourself. Maybe you can list all your accomplishments here and why you feel anyone here should listen to you at all?

Old
12-15-2003, 11:55 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by spence___
I remember reading somewhere that people view other people in terms of their own standards, and like i've said before your just not mature enough to understand their unselfish behavior because you have no experiance yourself. Maybe you can list all your accomplishments here and why you feel anyone here should listen to you at all?
Maybe I should ask you the same question.

Old
12-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Rand

This might sound harsh, and cynical but to be blunt- I agree completely with 'Fish on The Sand', I'd bet the overwhelming majoriity consider it a waste of time and couldn't care less about any of the Sick Children's Hospitals, Orphanages, or Charities that are so popular with most NHL teams.

I have precious little faith in any innate goodness in human kind.
By and large I frimly believe most people are out solely for themselves and perhaps a few others that have some feeling for.

It's nice to believe most of them genuinely care about the time and money they give to those that need it, but in the real world that's seldom the case in my experience.

It's an unpopular opinion, and maybe some will regard me as mean spritied, and ignorant. Perhaps the above thoughts betray an immaturity I'm unaware of as Spence's comments to 'Fish on The Sand' imply but as I stated above- I don't have much faith in human kind and I've seldom seen anything bely that opinion.

That aside, from my own impression as a Leafs fan the two most firmly and consistent community supporters, and two that I genuinely do believe have always went out of there way to help others would be Curtis Joseph, and Tie Domi.

To a lesser degree Wendel Clark deserves kudos for always being so firmly comitted to promoting literacy and assisting in the development of ensuring everyone is literate.

12-16-2003, 12:03 AM
spence___

Quote:
Maybe I should ask you the same question.
Why, what is it about my stance that you find so questionable?

Old
12-16-2003, 12:46 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
*sigh* Apparently this Islander fan doesn't realize this was a mere photo op. I'm sure there is the odd player on the team who genuinely enjoyed, but I'm sure the vast majority found it a waste of time, much like I would have. Call my a cynic, but you guys know I'm right. Its nothing against the Isles either, its every professional team. The Indians recently did something similar and I feel the exact same way as them.
marlins won

Old
12-16-2003, 12:56 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
marlins won
Its nteresting how when I announce I'm leaving the board enshrines it, but when I make a retraction the board represses it.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:08 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Its nteresting how when I announce I'm leaving the board enshrines it, but when I make a retraction the board represses it.
It IS interesting isn't it? I've noticed that too.
(damn the lack of the rolleyes emoticon. Damn it all)

Anyways, I have to go with this answer:

The majority of hockey players do enjoy charity work, but there will be a few that are have to be "forced" to do it.

Of course there will be a-holes in every group. In ANY group of people, no matter how large or small, there will be a-holes. But I still believe the majority aren't that bad.

Old
12-16-2003, 01:16 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

So it's safe to assume most people here aren't puritans :p

Old
12-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Trottier
Very Random

The temptation here is to criticize those souls incapable of seeing any gentleness in the life of this world. (Paraphrasing Lord Tennyson.)

Rather I'll simply Kvashinator12. Good for you for showing appreciation for a nice gesture, any time, anywhere. Don't ever lose that outlook, it'll serve you well in life.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:06 AM

Quote:
*sigh* Apparently this Islander fan doesn't realize this was a mere photo op. I'm sure there is the odd player on the team who genuinely enjoyed, but I'm sure the vast majority found it a waste of time, much like I would have. Call my a cynic, but you guys know I'm right. Its nothing against the Isles either, its every professional team. The Indians recently did something similar and I feel the exact same way as them.
You must be the life of the party.

Old
12-16-2003, 03:36 AM
PecaFan

Quote:
Theya re to being forced. You think your average nhl player is any different than your average person? How much does your average person give to charity? Zilch. Hockey players are no different from any other people, they just don't see the point.
I give to charity, all my friends give to charity. I suggest you look at yourself and your friends and family if they're all giving zilch.

But you're not completely wrong. A *few* are forced. Some see it as part of the job, like going to practices, and wearing a suit to the rink. Many enjoy it. And many more would do it even if they weren't hockey players.

Old
12-16-2003, 04:06 AM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Well good for the Islanders, seriously.

I just wish I could run into that blonde. Holy crap.

Old
12-16-2003, 05:44 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Theya re to being forced. You think your average nhl player is any different than your average person? How much does your average person give to charity? Zilch. Hockey players are no different from any other people, they just don't see the point.
Speak for yourself there buddy. I consider myself an average person, and I think I speak for most on here, that we've all done some form (or at least donated) of charity work in our lives. If you're the type to turn your nose up at the old man at the salvation army stand in the mall, then so be it. But don't consider yourself in the majority and group yourself as an average person then.

As for NHLr's, they stand out as the most charitable group of athletes in professional sports. Sure, some of them I'm sure cringe when being told they're doing a team outing to the lukemia ward for example, but I truely believe those players are in the minority.

Do you think McCarty set up the McCarty Cancer Foundation because he was forced to? No, his dad passed away from the disease and he wanted to help.
Shanahan took a young child who was dying under his wings behind the scope of the media, was that a PR move? Don't think so.
Tie Domi contributed thousands of gifts to underprivilaged children and it wasn't until the third year in that it was leaked to the press who was doing this. PR move? Nope.
Cujo, still does charity work in the Toronto area and contributes money to The Sick Kids Hospital. No photo Ops there.
What about Iginla and Kidsport where he donates $1,000.00 for every goal he scores to assist economically challenged children to participate in sports. Yup, I'm sure he brings the media everytime he's filling out those cheques.
The various charity golf tournaments that go on throughout the league. You mean to say the players aren't having fun at these events? Sure they are, all the while contributing back into the community.
And what about Ex-NHLr's who do charity work, such as The Wendy Sittler foundation for colo-rectal (sp) cancer. What have they to gain from the publicity?

These are just a few off the top of my head, I'm sure you'll find that almost 50% of the players do a lot of behind the scenes charity work.

The way I see it, is these players don't because they have to, but they see themselves as privileged and in a rare position that allows them to do these contributions that most of us wouldn't be able to. So what if the media is there, does it change the reaction of the children when they see their heroes? NO!

So, it's unfair for you or any one else to bash or even remotely criticize the work being done here, regardless of whether there's a select few who see it as an inconvenience. What's important more than anything, is the results achieved.

**sigh** End rant. Sorry, just a personal issue here.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:24 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
Well I guess the team had to give you SOMETHING to be proud of so I'm glad their such great guys OFF the ice!

Closed Thread