HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cole's Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Caps - The Single Hat

Old
02-03-2013, 03:46 PM
KIRK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
And consider the alternative: how would Lovejoy have looked today?
I don't care if Lovejoy would've looked decidedly better. We already know how he looks in April.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
We won. Our team defense is looking pretty good. But we're not generating a whole lot of speed through the neutral zone. And the Caps had more long shifts in the offensive zone than we did.

I'm not a fan of this quick up offense. We don't generate enough time in the offensive zone aside from our 4th line and when Sid/Geno do it on their own.
Nope, which is strange because in 2009, the Bylsma Pens were a puck possession team.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I wrote yesterday that, while I'm not sure that Boychuk 'solves' the L2 LW issue, his presence does make TK's role on the team expendable. He had a really incredible shift with Sutter and Cooke, where the line had a few chances and Boychuk was robbed on the doorstep. TK's neutral zone decision making was brutal today.

Right there with you . . .
While I like Boychuk so far, I think what got him in trouble with the Canes was that he was starting to float. Maybe Disco's in motion game won't let him do that here but I would wait at least 10 games before throwing TK out the door.

Unless TK just plays bad. Like he has the past 2 games.

- Neal's not playing like a goal scorer anymore. He's not playing that bad but he's not getting open like he used to and he might be overpassing a little bit.

- Malkin... I have no clue why he lets up when Crosby is in the line up??? He still turns it up every once in a while but he's not driving the net and plays way to la dee dah.

+ Kunitz... Guess he's feeling better. The goals are great but I like how he's supporting Sid.

+ Martin... Played very well against a big group of F's on the Caps.

+ Sid... Good week stats wise for Sid. Everyone and their mother knew that was coming but I like seeing him mixing it up and go into tarffic like he used to.

+ Orpik... He had a tough start to the year but he's rounding back into forn nicely.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:49 PM
SEALBound

Boychuk is playing like he wants that spot. Lots of fight in this kid. May not be the biggest but he plays like he's 6'2 220lbs. Can create some offensive chances and you can see his IQ on the ice when Malkin or Neal (or Crosby) have the puck. He knows where he needs to be to get that scoring chance. He is pretty much the exact opposite of Tangradi. The kid is earning it.

Despres was an even this game. Lots of great play but also some mistakes. They happen.

Engo/Bort...this pairing can stay. This is a tremendous value 3rd pairing for us.

Orpik/Martin, both of these guys have picked up their game this year. Hope it continues.

Kunitz played well again. Amazing hatty but this doesn't excuse his horrendous play to start the season. A few more games like this and I'll remove the skepticism.

Sid played well but I can definitely tell he's 80%. Just doesn't have the no holds barred speed and grit he once did but given his situation, understandable.

Geno and Neal were quiet today. Both played well but just quiet.

I thought the Cooke-Sutter-TK line was unnoticeable today like last night.

That brings me to Glass-Vitale-Adams...and well...well you guys know No words.

Vokoun with a solid performance against his old team. That one bounce...it happens. What can ya do?

The only minus I have was Dupuis. Rough game for him.

Again, I would love to ship TK and Tangradi off for a winger to put with Sid. Then build:

Kunitz/Boychuk - Sid - Winger
Boychuk/Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Maybe once Nisky comes back a TK + Nisky + Tangradi package could get us something like Perry...

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:50 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
+ The "single hat": Crosby has done a lot in 2 games to show he wants this team together. Forced pucks to Koon for the hatty. Giving Sutter the goal. Cooke giving Engo the goal. This is ****ing awesome.
It just needed to be quoted. Crosby needs more love for being an amazing captain, everyone knows he is an amazing hockey player.

+ Boychuk seems like a nice enough addition.
+ Rallying for Vokoun.

- Still the PP. They are getting a lot more out of the half a minute following a PK than they do the PP.

TorstenFrings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:52 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
Boychuk is playing like he wants that spot. Lots of fight in this kid. May not be the biggest but he plays like he's 6'2 220lbs. Can create some offensive chances and you can see his IQ on the ice when Malkin or Neal (or Crosby) have the puck. He knows where he needs to be to get that scoring chance. He is pretty much the exact opposite of Tangradi. The kid is earning it.

Despres was an even this game. Lots of great play but also some mistakes. They happen.

Engo/Bort...this pairing can stay. This is a tremendous value 3rd pairing for us.

Orpik/Martin, both of these guys have picked up their game this year. Hope it continues.

Kunitz played well again. Amazing hatty but this doesn't excuse his horrendous play to start the season. A few more games like this and I'll remove the skepticism.

Sid played well but I can definitely tell he's 80%. Just doesn't have the no holds barred speed and grit he once did but given his situation, understandable.

Geno and Neal were quiet today. Both played well but just quiet.

I thought the Cooke-Sutter-TK line was unnoticeable today like last night.

That brings me to Glass-Vitale-Adams...and well...well you guys know No words.

Vokoun with a solid performance against his old team. That one bounce...it happens. What can ya do?

The only minus I have was Dupuis. Rough game for him.

Again, I would love to ship TK and Tangradi off for a winger to put with Sid. Then build:

Kunitz/Boychuk - Sid - Winger
Boychuk/Kunitz - Geno - Neal
Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis
Glass - Vitale - Adams

Maybe once Nisky comes back a TK + Nisky + Tangradi package could get us something like Perry...
Can I have a few ounces of what you're smoking?

Old
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
It just needed to be quoted. Crosby needs more love for being an amazing captain, everyone knows he is an amazing hockey player.
There was more than 1 person saying he should be stripped of the "C" after the Islanders game.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SaintRon

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Ok cool, thanks.

I didn't see that. But shortly after that point, I jumped ahead in the game, because I was so far behind the game in real time. Glad someone got in Ribeiro's face. As others have Bortuzzo is a great teammate. He is going to have your back.
Around that time in the game, this post made me

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_ice View Post
Mike Ribiero looks like one of those kids in a 3rd world country you can sponsor.
Post of the day

SaintRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KIRK

Quote:
There was more than 1 person saying he should be stripped of the "C" after the Islanders game.
Really?

Old
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Really?
yep, including at least one "blue name" I believe.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
yep, including at least one "blue name" I believe.
O'k, then . . .

Old
02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintRon View Post
Around that time in the game, this post made me

Post of the day
Haha.....Jacob is always good for, besides smart hockey posts, one hilarious comment on the day. Good stuff.

td_ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Fire Shero*

I watched the 2nd and 3rd period today. I just dont understand the love for Boychuk. I think a lot of it has to do with who we are comparing him to; Tangradi, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Glass and whoever else has stunk it up with Neal and Geno. The guy is small and can be knocked down if someone breathes on him. He does try to be physical despite his size which is nice. He is not a liability, so he will get more time on the line. He is quick and aggressive. I have no problem giving him more time because he does not make the line worse and if the pens continue winning. I just hope he is not a long-term solution, yet.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Wingers View Post
I watched the 2nd and 3rd period today. I just dont understand the love for Boychuk. I think a lot of it has to do with who we are comparing him to; Tangradi, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Glass and whoever else has stunk it up with Neal and Geno. The guy is small and can be knocked down if someone breathes on him. He does try to be physical despite his size which is nice. He is not a liability, so he will get more time on the line. He is quick and aggressive. I have no problem giving him more time because he does not make the line worse and if the pens continue winning. I just hope he is not a long-term solution, yet.
I don't think many of us disagree. But compared to what we have had in that spot he's a breath of fresh air imo

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Just another terrible game to add to the Pens' perpetual downward spiral.

The coach has clearly lost the room. Crosby and Malkin aren't buying what DB's selling. There's no structure or discipline. This team has no passion and no compete level either - they're just going through the motions out there.

Bylsma delenda est!

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:06 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post

The coach has clearly lost the room. Crosby and Malkin aren't buying what DB's selling. There's no structure or discipline. This team has no passion and no compete level either - they're just going through the motions out there.

Bylsma delenda est!
I hear they're mentally weak.

Also, Malkin clearly has one foot out the door.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:

Bylsma delenda est!
Don't go there, RRP. That's a cop out post that you usually do not do. Don't make me get into a 3 hour debate about stretch passes!

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
KIRK

Quote:

Bylsma delenda est!
You forgot to mention the incredible breakouts and how the Pens totally skunked the Caps with the stretch passing when they had the audacity to fall back to a passive 1-2-2 to open the third.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
fragmag

What a game. Love the fact that once the Caps got the cheap goal they didn't get deflated. Came right back and lit them up. So much for them sucking in the 2nd.

So many +'s tonight and really no -"s ecept for maybe TK. Wasn't his best effort.

fragmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:09 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Don't go there, RRP. That's a cop out post that you usually do not do. Don't make me get into a 3 hour debate about stretch passes!
Don't bother. All is well. And, you know perfectly well (a) that the regular season is a 100% indicator of how the playoffs will go and (b) that nobody will specifically game plan for the Pens when the playoffs come. There's nothing like a false sense of security . . . again.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag View Post
What a game. Love the fact that once the Caps got the cheap goal they didn't get deflated. Came right back and lit them up. So much for them sucking in the 2nd.

So many +'s tonight and really no -"s ecept for maybe TK. Wasn't his best effort.
This was the biggest plus to me. They could have really flat-lined after the flukey goal, but they just put their foots down. Sure, Holtby was bad, but the Pens had to give him the opportunity to be bad.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:11 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I don't think many of us disagree. But compared to what we have had in that spot he's a breath of fresh air imo
How about a breath of less stale air, then?

Boychuk definitely is busting his ***. But, I don't see how any reasonable (non kool-aid) drinker doesn't have doubts that he's anything but a stop gap for the L2 LW situation.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandshakeLine View Post
I hear they're mentally weak.

Also, Malkin clearly has one foot out the door.
Let no one say I don't learn from my mistakes.

Quote:
I know, eh? Screw the blowout victories, let's harp on the godforsaken stretch pass, haha.

Seriously though, the collective meltdown after the Isles game begged for a response like that. Patience.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:14 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Let no one say I don't learn from my mistakes.

I know, eh? Screw the blowout victories, let's harp on the godforsaken stretch pass, haha.

Seriously though, the collective meltdown after the Isles game begged for a response like that. Patience.
Does that extend to confirming whether the sense of security is real or (yet again) false?

When Cole harps on the stretch passes and the breakouts, I think he's implicitly addressing this subject and its annual application to the playoffs.

Then again, you may be right. I'm sure you are. After all, it was a pair of blowouts this weekend.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
You forgot to mention the incredible breakouts and how the Pens totally skunked the Caps with the stretch passing when they had the audacity to fall back to a passive 1-2-2 to open the third.
KIRK, can you please just change your username to "STRETCH PASS BAD" so I can save some time when looking for your postgame comments after a huge win?