HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes recall Nodl, waive Boychuk (claimed by Pittsburgh)

Old
02-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic412 View Post
Is this the same Boychuk that played for you guys? He might be our #3 overall winger behind Neal and Kunitz. Not the strongest guy on the puck but he showed great skill in the offensive zone. Regardless he seems like he deserves to play in the NHL. Curious to hear if any Canes fans watched the game this afternoon? Thoughts and opinions.
I never really knew what the coaching staff was doing. I always assumed the lack of playing time was due to a lack of effort in practice, because I always thought that he looked like he at least belonged when he played on the top line. The production was never there but he also never played more than a game or two in a row on the top line without Maurice sending him to the 4th line/press box.

I didn't get the chance to catch the game, but I've heard enough things by now to know he played well. Apparently he got a boarding penalty, which means he hit someone (although Ribeiro may be the only player in the league that's softer). Seems like a combo of us giving up a halfway decent player and Boychuk stepping up his game in a new environment.

Hope he works out for you guys, we'll trade you our 2013 1st for him at the deadline, I'm sure...

Anton Dubinchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic412 View Post
Is this the same Boychuk that played for you guys? He might be our #3 overall winger behind Neal and Kunitz. Not the strongest guy on the puck but he showed great skill in the offensive zone. Regardless he seems like he deserves to play in the NHL. Curious to hear if any Canes fans watched the game this afternoon? Thoughts and opinions.

I watched a good part of the game, paying about 50% attention, and I must say that Boychuk looked like the hockey player we kept hoping he would be for us.

He does deserve to play in the NHL, I think. Or at least get a better shot at earning a spot than we were able to achieve out of him if that makes sense.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:58 PM
bleedgreen

He got primarily fourth line minutes when he played for us. A couple of looks with staal but was always pulled pretty quick. I don't feel like he ever got the chance here. People keep referring to him getting his shot and not doing enough. Consistency was an issue, and his play this year in Charlotte took care of that issue. We kept dalpe and bowman who have a combined 2 pts because they are more "consistent" but let boychuk go after giving him a one game reward for the season he's had in Charlotte. Even more frustrating than dalpes two pts is the fact he can be sent down without waivers.

Just not very good asset management. I hope he jams it up our butts when they play us. Cracking me up a guy who can't make our mediocre at best lineup can fit in with Crosby and Malkin. 50/50 he makes it, but I'm rooting for him.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:12 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

It's quite obvious why Boychuk was never Canes material.

1. Not best buddies with anyone in management.
2. Didn't play for the Plymouth Whalers.
3. Never played for Ilitch.
4. Doesn't have a picture perfect smile or feel-good personality to fall back on in the locker room.
5. Not related to anyone in the Raleigh area.

Doesn't matter how much talent he may have, he's just not the type of player the Canes want.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Watched the game today, and thought Boychuk looked decent. Made a couple of quality plays (esp the one when he came out of the box and helped set up a scoring chance), and he looked in position most of the time. He does look soft tho, and I did notice he often found himself in the neighborhood of another Pens player as plays were developing. Maybe that's the kind of thing that goes away with system familiarity, tho.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Anton View Post
It's quite obvious why Boychuk was never Canes material.

1. Not best buddies with anyone in management.
2. Didn't play for the Plymouth Whalers.
3. Never played for Ilitch.
4. Doesn't have a picture perfect smile or feel-good personality to fall back on in the locker room.
5. Not related to anyone in the Raleigh area.

Doesn't matter how much talent he may have, he's just not the type of player the Canes want.

Maybe he can come back in 15 years as a gritty vet

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Mr Whipple
Charmin Soft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Only if he begs to come back when no other teams in the league want to touch him. Add in a NTC on top of a 'home team discount' that's more than twice what he ought to be paid.

Mr Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:34 PM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
I'm hesitant to blame Muller here.

He scratched McBain for the first few games and now is playing him 23 minutes a game.

Our 13th forward is a useless goon. Our AHL call-ups are the likes of Wallace, Nash, Sutter and Samson. Our entire bottom six has two points and our top six has three players who haven't scored a goal. Why not just wait until Muller tires of the Zac Dalpe Hype Train or someone gets hurt so Boychuk gets a chance, then waive him if he doesn't do anything?

Ten minutes is what they gave him before waiving him.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Boychuk did this with us too. We would put him on the Staal line, and he would "look good", but it never turned into actual production.

Off the top of my head, the longest stretch he had on the top line was ~10 games with Staal back in 2010. He simply didn't register points while up there.

I'm not going to debate whether or not Boychuk got "his shot". But he's accomplished what he is pulling in Pittsburgh in Carolina before. Let's wait and see if it turns into actual production this time before we start calling Shero a genius.

At the same time though, JR really screwed up here. On the one hand, if Boychuk succeeds (and it will be hard not to when playing with Crosby or Malkin), then we lost an NHL player obviously worth something for nothing. And if Boychuk fails, then we have a player who couldn't stick with the team that possesses the two best centers in the League and are in desperate need for talented wingers: in short, we proved that Boychuk has no value.

This is just horrible asset management. I don't know what goes on in practice for them to give up on Boychuk that ****ing fast, but ****, what terrible management! The only outcome that would have worked is if Boychuk cleared, which was dubious at best.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
Looked pretty good offensively, notched 0 points in 2 games. I think Pittsburgh got exactly the guy we thought we had.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Sens1Canes2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallym View Post
Looked pretty good offensively, notched 0 points in 2 games. I think Pittsburgh got exactly the guy we thought we had.
While certainly a small sample size, is anyone surprised that the Pens have scored 11 goals and Boychuk has 0 points? He very well may turn into gold...but so far it's like you said, it's about the same as we've seen in the past.

Sens1Canes2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Yeah, if you can't score with Neal and Malkin, you're not scoring anywhere. I don't care if he "looks" good. He's at the point in his career where he should be beyond "looking" good and instead scoring goals. Of course he's going to come out with a fire lit under his ass when he gets to a new team, and I think it shows more about him that he hasn't scored yet despite playing with one of the best centers in the league.

I was mad about how this impacted Charlotte, not Carolina. Pittsburgh will learn soon enough what we were saying, just as our opinions about Sutter's style of play have been validated.

Novacane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
bleedgreen

Dalpe down and Wallace up. Larose just got his top 6 job back I'm guessing. Here's where boychuk could've gotten a chance as well. Youth movement experiment ends fairly quickly.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:43 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Dalpe down and Wallace up. Larose just got his top 6 job back I'm guessing. Here's where boychuk could've gotten a chance as well. Youth movement experiment ends fairly quickly.
A chance which, like every single one given to him, he undoubtedly would have done the following:

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:45 PM
Anton Bubdobin
I hates summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Only if he changes his name to Wardchuk.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:07 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
A chance which, like every single one given to him, he undoubtedly would have done the following:

As subtle as your being with your point, I think I've picked up on it. We're allowed to disagree with you, right?

Old
02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
wallym

vCash: 615
The Skinner-JStaal combo hasn't been particularly sharp in the defensive zone. Switching Larose in for Dalpe should help with that a bit.

Seems like the Bottom 6 is getting some new roles, or something. I don't really know what his plans are with those guys. Training camp would have been nice.

wallym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:15 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Ruutu View Post
I'm hesitant to blame Muller here.

He scratched McBain for the first few games and now is playing him 23 minutes a game.

Our 13th forward is a useless goon. Our AHL call-ups are the likes of Wallace, Nash, Sutter and Samson. Our entire bottom six has two points and our top six has three players who haven't scored a goal. Why not just wait until Muller tires of the Zac Dalpe Hype Train or someone gets hurt so Boychuk gets a chance, then waive him if he doesn't do anything?

Ten minutes is what they gave him before waiving him.
looks like dalpe is done as a cane-i actually thought he looked quite good out there--moving forwards like there is a revolving door when its the D that needs work. bad move-what the heck do they expect out of wallace?

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:17 PM
snakepliskin

Wallace, 28, has notched nine goals and earned 11 assists (20 points) in 43 games this season with Charlotte. The Anchorage, AK, native has scored three goals and earned eight assists (11 points) in 73 career NHL regular-season games with Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and the New York Islanders. Wallace (61, 207 lbs.) is in his seventh professional season and his first season with Carolina after signing with the Hurricanes as a free agent on July 19, 2012.

yeah baby-hes the answer! gotta get my jersey ordered!

Old
02-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Tim Wallace has a huge presence on the ice by actually hitting people, it's a strange concept for some.

I think Bowman should get moved to the 2nd line, and Wallace on the 3rd.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:23 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
As subtle as your being with your point, I think I've picked up on it. We're allowed to disagree with you, right?
Certainly. I'm just sick and tired of marginal NHL players like Boychuk whose game are more suited to the AHL being lionized into something more than they are and the body of Boychuk's work indicates he's precisely that.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:33 PM
snakepliskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Certainly. I'm just sick and tired of marginal NHL players like Boychuk whose game are more suited to the AHL being lionized into something more than they are and the body of Boychuk's work indicates he's precisely that.
im just sick of larose being in the top 6-dalpe needed more time-sent down too quick-wallace should have been up sooner if he is a hitter though for larose not dalpe

Old
02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
La Huracanista

I don't think people here are going to like this explanation, but if I had to guess: we demoted Dalpe because Dwyer has looked great (in terms of speed and two-way ability) and has shown some chemistry with J. Staal. That, and we didn't want Dalpe to play in bottom 6 where he can't develop much.

So Dwyer will end up in our top 6, LaRose probably gets bumped up to third line, and Wallace fills in on 4th.

La Huracanista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:27 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Boychuk looked good, then didn't produce. Yeah, that's the Boychuk we had in Carolina

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:33 PM
caniac247

Maybe this makes too much sense, so i'm probably way off base, but what if they are moving Jussi up to the 2nd line. Although Dalpe has looked decent there, he isn't a playmaker. It's been made very clear that Jussi is playing a position he doesn't like and we all know he's way better on the wing.

You then move Brent to the 3rd line. As the 4th line gets limited minutes anyway, you can either doubleshift the Staals or let whoever plays on the 4th center.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote