HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2013 Draft Thread

Old
11-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
If the season were cancelled and the Blues somehow wound up with the 1st overall pick in the lottery, I'd probably dance naked in the streets downtown.

That would wipe out just about all of the bad things that has happened to the Blues over the years. That is until Nathan MacKinnon tears his knee up in a golf cart accident.

Whatever happens, for the love of god don't let Edmonton have another #1 overall pick.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
From what I've read so far this is looking like a pretty deep draft. About 15 or so players who could probably be categorized as "Top 10" material which makes them rather hard to rank. The exciting part is IF we do lose the entire season and IF they use the same method they did after the last lockout the Blues will be a "2 ball" team this time so we'll have a pretty decent chance of picking in the Top 10 and even a small chance(I believe about 4%)of picking the 1st overall. Can you imagine the Blues landing a Nathan MacKinnon or Aleksander Barkov or even Sean Monahan? That would make this entire lockout worth it IMO.
Oh wow good point. I didn't realize that the 2005 lottery balls were based on the previous three seasons.

To even land a top 10 pick would be incredible after being the 2nd best team in the West last year.

BTW, I really think the season is in serious jeopardy of being cancelled. That is the only reason I'm discussing this. I need something possibly positive to talk about.

Old
11-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
The top-end talent sounds really deep in this draft. I wonder how it compares to '08.
Not as much top end defense except for Jones, Pulock, and Ristolainen. But the top line forwards are much better and there is much more diversity in what types of forwards teams can get. Goaltending looks similar except for Fucale, who looks much better than the goalies of recent years.

That's my take on this year, don't know if anyone would agree though.

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2012, 06:11 PM
Memento
Missourian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
Not as much top end defense except for Jones, Pulock, and Ristolainen. But the top line forwards are much better and there is much more diversity in what types of forwards teams can get. Goaltending looks similar except for Fucale, who looks much better than the goalies of recent years.

That's my take on this year, don't know if anyone would agree though.
I agree for the most part. Darnell Nurse is one to keep an eye on, though. If he reaches his potential, he could be that big physical defenseman to pair alongside Pietrangelo.

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 03:54 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
I agree for the most part. Darnell Nurse is one to keep an eye on, though. If he reaches his potential, he could be that big physical defenseman to pair alongside Pietrangelo.
Possibly Zadorov, too.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Outside of MacKinnon amd Jones, who I would like the the Blues to get the most, the other three prospects peaking my interest who look to go mid-to-late first round are Kerby Rychel (C), Robert Hägg (D), and Jason Dickinson (C).

All three answer needs for the Blues and all three have high upside.

I've got to watch a lot of Windsor games online this year and I've talked to a handful of people who've seen him play first hand and Rychel's game seems to fit the Blues system perfectly. He is versatile, playing the center and left wing position, he's big and strong, and very gifted offensively.

He has a strong defensive game as well, and can play both sides of the puck.

Primarily a sniper, he has great vision and has a very good pass as well.

Personally, if the Blues drafted anywhere from the eighth pick or later and Rychel was available he's the pick I'd like more than anyone.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Outside of MacKinnon amd Jones, who I would like the the Blues to get the most, the other three prospects peaking my interest who look to go mid-to-late first round are Kerby Rychel (C), Robert Hägg (D), and Jason Dickinson (C).

All three answer needs for the Blues and all three have high upside.

I've got to watch a lot of Windsor games online this year and I've talked to a handful of people who've seen him play first hand and Rychel's game seems to fit the Blues system perfectly. He is versatile, playing the center and left wing position, he's big and strong, and very gifted offensively.

He has a strong defensive game as well, and can play both sides of the puck.

Primarily a sniper, he has great vision and has a very good pass as well.

Personally, if the Blues drafted anywhere from the eighth pick or later and Rychel was available he's the pick I'd like more than anyone.
Rychel's definitely someone that I would want, but I don't think I would pick him if we had a pick in the top 10, if we had a pick from somewhere between 17-24, maybe 16, then I'd say go for it

Old
11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Rychel's definitely someone that I would want, but I don't think I would pick him if we had a pick in the top 10, if we had a pick from somewhere between 17-24, maybe 16, then I'd say go for it
There are obviously players who will go higher than Rychel. A guy like Aleksander Barkov or Hunter Shinkaruk could slide down and be available 8-12 and I'd love to snag them if available. But I personally like Rychel than say guys like Lazar, Domi, or Nichushkin.

I'd also like Zadorov as a pick as well.

Old
11-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

I watched a lot of Rychel highlights yesterday, and though I was impressed, I still think Adam Erne has better potential. Both Erne and Rychel are physical grinders who will provide scoring, but Rychel has been known to be somewhat selfish with the puck and is not a great passer. Erne will make his linemates better.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by reavesthemaniac View Post
I watched a lot of Rychel highlights yesterday, and though I was impressed, I still think Adam Erne has better potential. Both Erne and Rychel are physical grinders who will provide scoring, but Rychel has been known to be somewhat selfish with the puck and is not a great passer. Erne will make his linemates better.
I haven't gotten a chance to watch a lot of Erne this year so I can't comment much on him soni'll take your word on him.

Rychel can hold the puck a lot, but two other prospects who were said to do that we're Perron and Oshie.

Old
11-20-2012, 09:33 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
I haven't gotten a chance to watch a lot of Erne this year so I can't comment much on him soni'll take your word on him.

Rychel can hold the puck a lot, but two other prospects who were said to do that we're Perron and Oshie.
Yea, I'm honestly not a fan of Rychel. He'll be a good player, sure, but his play style just isn't attractive IMO. He will have a very limited use as a grinder and won't work well with our depth that we have in speed. If Erne is off the table, I would rather have us take Kujawinski or Duclair instead of Rychel.

I look at the draft as free agency that will really happen in 2 or 3 years. What I'm trying to say is that a player like Rychel is not needed for us. Erne and Rychel are both very different players as I watch more and more of them, and Rychel doesn't pass a lot, commits to the body to much, and is a grinder forward. Erne is a power forward who can use his body to his advantage.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Halak Ness Monster

Over the past week I've pretty much gotten to the point where I have zero expectation of an NHL season happening and I've moved on to hoping the Blues land a top 10 draft pick in the lottery.

It is very sad but somewhat exciting.

I'd rank my top 6 as:
1: Nathan MacKinnon-C
2(tie): Seth Jones-D
2(tie): Alexsander Barkov-C
4: Sean Monahan-C
5: Elias Lindholm-C
6: Jonathan Drouin-LW

Old
11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
tfriede2

It would certainly be nice if the Blues could land a top 10 pick in a lottery...but, if a CBA isn't agreed upon come draft time, will the draft even occur? I have read that the draft could be postponed until a new CBA is signed, which could mean a 2013/2014 combination of drafts in 2014.

That would certainly put a damper on the summer if there is still no hockey and no CBA. Ay.

In short, will there be a draft if there is no CBA this summer?

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
In short, will there be a draft if there is no CBA this summer?
No CBA, no draft.

So either they have it later, just before the season starts or they do it in 2014. Maybe along with 2014 draft. That would be deep one.

But looks like it we don't have to think about that. Hopefully.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:04 PM
Bluesnatic27

Okay, so who else would like it if Eric Roy slipped down into our system?

Big physical left handed defensemen that, while hasn't had the most productive year, could still probably be a 20-30 point denfensemen, maybe 40+ with Pietro. I've always had an interest in this guy, but I never wanted to use a first rounder on him. However, it looks like his stock has fallen this year and scouts have him pegged him in the 2nd round. So if he did fall into the 2nd round, would anyone be against picking him up?

Old
02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Okay, so who else would like it if Eric Roy slipped down into our system?

Big physical left handed defensemen that, while hasn't had the most productive year, could still probably be a 20-30 point denfensemen, maybe 40+ with Pietro. I've always had an interest in this guy, but I never wanted to use a first rounder on him. However, it looks like his stock has fallen this year and scouts have him pegged him in the 2nd round. So if he did fall into the 2nd round, would anyone be against picking him up?
Honestly I don't know enough about him to make much of a call right now but so far this is what I have found out about him.

A miner's son, who is a big defender with good offensive ability and a solid work ethic. Has the size and willingness to play with physicality besides displaying good offensive skills, soft hands and great patience. Is able to close the gap on attacking junior players, but still needs plenty of improvement on his defensive game, with lateral mobility and footwork being essential. Teams will see the parts of his game that are already in place and decide what his high water mark is. Plenty to like in this emerging longer term project.

--Bill Placzek--

Since we have two 2nd round picks I wouldn't be against it. It seems like he is ranked early 3rd round currently.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Honestly I don't know enough about him to make much of a call right now but so far this is what I have found out about him.

A miner's son, who is a big defender with good offensive ability and a solid work ethic. Has the size and willingness to play with physicality besides displaying good offensive skills, soft hands and great patience. Is able to close the gap on attacking junior players, but still needs plenty of improvement on his defensive game, with lateral mobility and footwork being essential. Teams will see the parts of his game that are already in place and decide what his high water mark is. Plenty to like in this emerging longer term project.

--Bill Placzek--

Since we have two 2nd round picks I wouldn't be against it. It seems like he is ranked early 3rd round currently.
Could I have a link to this? The last ranking I saw was Bob McKenzie's midterm ranking and he had him pegged in the second round. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just curious where you found this.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

I really like Josh Morrissey. where do you guys think he will go? there a possibility we could grab him and have a potential partner for petro in two years? would also love to grab Roy with one of our 2nd rounders. I do hope that we atleast take one HIGH risk HIGH REWARD player in one of the first two rounds. I think with how management runs things and the team cohesion we've built with hitch at the helm someone who's a high risk player could really benefit and mesh with us rather than go to a team like the isles and probably cause a problem like niederreiter etc.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
I really like Josh Morrissey. where do you guys think he will go? there a possibility we could grab him and have a potential partner for petro in two years? would also love to grab Roy with one of our 2nd rounders. I do hope that we atleast take one HIGH risk HIGH REWARD player in one of the first two rounds. I think with how management runs things and the team cohesion we've built with hitch at the helm someone who's a high risk player could really benefit and mesh with us rather than go to a team like the isles and probably cause a problem like niederreiter etc.
No later than 15 IMO for Morrisey.

I'd imagine the best d-man available by the time we get to our pick will be Zadarov. But who knows where we will be drafting.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Could I have a link to this? The last ranking I saw was Bob McKenzie's midterm ranking and he had him pegged in the second round. I'm not saying you're lying, I'm just curious where you found this.
Honestly I just did a quick search on mock drafts for 2013 and came uo with this site. I have no idea how credible it is at all.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

I was actually having a hard time finding his ranking as it seems like he's not in a lot of the top 50 lists for prospects currently. I just looked a little more and he is 59 here http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9845.

So late 2nd round early 3rd round seems to be a fair ranking for him IMO.

Last edited by HooliganX2: 02-03-2013 at 06:23 PM.
HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
The majority of our picks in 2012 were high risk, high reward guys. Schmaltz, Kurker, Maceachern, and Parayko all have a long way to go before they sniff the NHL, but all have the potential to be impact players. I kind of hope for the opposite. Somebody that will be a 2nd or 3rd line forward, or a 2nd pairing Dman in the reasonably near future, but maybe doesn't have much higher potential than that. I haven't even really looked at the draft class, so I can't name anyone in particular.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Honestly I just did a quick search on mock drafts for 2013 and came uo with this site. I have no idea how credible it is at all.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/mock-draft/2013/

I was actually having a hard time finding his ranking as it seems like he's not in a lot of the top 50 lists for prospects currently. I just looked a little more and he is 59 here http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9845.

So late 2nd round early 3rd round seems to be a fair ranking for him IMO.
Okay, thank you.

Says a lot about this draft class to have Roy as a late second rounder to be honest.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
A similar player, with similar potential, is already in the system.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Memento
Missourian.

I'm sorry, but Nurse has way more potential in almost every aspect of the game than Edmundson. Seriously, the only thing that Edmundson has Nurse beat at is his shot. Still, it's a moot point right now; he's probably going top fifteen at the rate he's playing. We won't get him.

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Alklha

Nurse does have more potential, and looks certain to be a top 15 pick because of that. I wouldn't move up to get him though.

I actually like quite a lot of players this year. The obvious one is Valentin Zykov, his stock is rising all the time though and might ultimately end up a top 10 pick. A less talented Tarasenko in some respects; great work ethic, very physical, good hockey sense and above average hands. He seems the type of player that we'd like, and wouldn't be surprised to see us move up to get him if he is still around at about 15.

Alex Wennberg is just a great hockey player, does everything well. He could be a centre in the NHL, but I think he realistically projects as a winger.

Valery Nichushkin has a deal until 2015 in the KHL, which might see him slip. 6'3" and close to 200lbs and he is an outstanding skater! He can use his size and skating well to take control, but he is nowhere near as physical as he should be. He mentally switches off occasionally, in all areas of the ice and he needs to pass the puck more often than he does. He has 2 assists in the VHL this season, and there is a number of occasions where he has moved inside on a defenseman, had an teammate wide open for a tap in and he has tried to stuff it in.

I think Robert Hägg has top pairing potential, and might fall as far as the mid-20's. There is nothing outstanding about his game, but he does everything to a very good standard. Physical, offensive, quick, reads the play very well etc etc. He looks like the type of player who will effortlessly move up a level and basically play to the same standard.

Nic Petan as well. The only real knock on this kid is his size, and it isn't an insignificant issue. Smaller than McDonald and without his speed. He is exceptionally skilled though, and despite all the talent in the 8-35 range of this draft, I still expect a team to take a chance on him in the 20-25 range. I'd like to see us pick him up, but it depends on who is left on the board when we pick. If he was to go where many project (middle second), then I'd picking him up with the Ottawa second could be a steal.

Not sure what the reports earlier in the week about this draft not being as great as first thought are about. Top end talent is really there, and after the top 7 there are about 20+ players who are top 15 talent. I think that Wennberg is the only guy I listed that is certain to go in the top 12, the others have a chance of being available at least in the 15-20 range if we wanted to move up/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
The majority of our picks in 2012 were high risk, high reward guys. Schmaltz, Kurker, Maceachern, and Parayko all have a long way to go before they sniff the NHL, but all have the potential to be impact players. I kind of hope for the opposite. Somebody that will be a 2nd or 3rd line forward, or a 2nd pairing Dman in the reasonably near future, but maybe doesn't have much higher potential than that. I haven't even really looked at the draft class, so I can't name anyone in particular.
True, we went with a lot of high risk/reward players last year. I'm still not sure why we didn't go with Anton Slepyshev with our last pick. Even if we thought it unlikely that he leaves Russia, the chances of him changing his mind and developing into an NHL player are better than than Tyrel Seaman developing into an NHL player.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote