HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Seguin

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2013, 12:39 PM
  #51
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I actually completely disagree with this sentiment. Granted I too am not happy with him trying to deke out defenders all the time when it doesn't work but at least once, sometimes two or three times a game he sets up his line mates perfectly with 'Savard-ian' type passes and his chances are perfect examples of being snake-bit. Like last night's shot off the knob of Reimer's stick. Literally a half of an inch in all these plays (or a bit more finish from Bergy and Marchy) and we'd all be praising the **** out of him.. I still think he's right there at the door knocking.

I think it's an insult to compare his board work and physical play to Kessel's. The kid has shown more than once that he's willing to take some abuse in front of the net to give his line mates some space. A perfect example of that was Marchand's goal the other night where he was fighting off 2 defenders and screening Miller. I'm not saying he's Lucic out there but he absolutely gets more involved along the boards than not. I'm also not saying he couldn't use some more work in this area, it's clear that he still has to get the Swiss out of his game in this aspect.

I don't know.. even without his scoring I think he's doing mostly the right things. He'll certainly have his brainfarts where he tries to pass to Marchand who has 3 defenders draped all over him or bail out on a hit.. But mostly I like what I'm seeing. We're all just frustrated because the puck isn't going in for him. And that's natural. We'd probably be a lot more forgiving of his shortcomings had he buried 5 or 6 of his 10+ chances, haha.

At this point the disappointment his snowballing I think. Everyone in the GDT is now at the point where we get 10+ posts in a row of how bad Seguin is if he doesn't pivot at the right angle.

I try and look at it in another light.. without our most talented forward producing, the Bruins are still winning games.. so once he gets going, it's going to be very tough beating the Bruins Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later
I see glimpses...not much strung together...doesn't matter, his next 8 I'm sure will make us forget about this 8... Plus the team is 6-1-1 without much from him...thats a great sign.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:42 PM
  #52
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So Seguin can't be called out for his lackluster, uninspired play on a message board?
As noted, I believe Rick and Bone summed it up well.

Lackluster and uninspired? No. Frustrated and overreaching? Yes.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:56 PM
  #53
Miroslav Klose*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
So my thread doesn't look so crazy now, does it?

Miroslav Klose* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
  #54
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
I am a BIG Seguin fan............I wanna know WTF is wrong with him? 8 games in and 1 goal and it is an EN.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:08 PM
  #55
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»
 
deliciouspie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sf, austin, here
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
beyond dkh's great analysis, i'd like to expound on two things that if seguin was to figure out, he'd vastly improve his game

1) watch matt moulson (matt moulson, for chrissakes) and watch what he does without the puck: notice the seams he's reading and where he's working towards

sure, tavares is probably the most underrated player in the league and can get the puck to those spots, but moulson has an uncanny ability to get into the high-scoring areas and make himself open

seguin at this point does not do this consistently, partly because that would require him to battle more than i think he's comfortable doing

2) seguin reaches more than a roller hockey player; if he were to actually get body position a lá bergeron or even marchand, he'd be vasty improved; watch a shift seguin takes, nearly each one his feet will stop moving and he'll reach instead of moving and using his body to shield the puck

both of these effectively amount to a reluctance to do the digging and work that an elite player requires, and that's a shame, because moderate frame or not, if he included those aspects to his game, he'd be in a very, very special tier of players where right now, he's effectively (and i hate to say this) kessel-lite

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:17 PM
  #56
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miroslav Klose View Post
So my thread doesn't look so crazy now, does it?
Yes, it does. Seguin is not "ruined," except possibly in the minds of fans who think the Bruins are no longer tough because Thornton lost a fight.

It's called overreacting, and Boston fans do it better than anyone.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:24 PM
  #57
deliciouspie
the best post »»»»»
 
deliciouspie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: sf, austin, here
Country: United States
Posts: 2,778
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to deliciouspie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miroslav Klose View Post
So my thread doesn't look so crazy now, does it?
when one looks at a guy who looks like a 50-70 point player (which is what seguin probably is with his current skillset and drive) who is on the low portion of the streakiness cycle and declares him ruined, that is crazy

therefore, your thread is still crazy

hth

deliciouspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:26 PM
  #58
Soderberg
Registered User
 
Soderberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,627
vCash: 500
Seguin hasn't been as bad as people are making it out to be, but it's just frustrating because he is our goal scorer and when he goes to dangle through people it looks bad. He's snake bitten, it's not a lack of effort. He looked like he had a goal on his birthday, he's scored twice in the shootout that counted and then twice in a row where the first one didn't count which didn't get as much praise as it should have. He should've had a goal last night. When are people going to call out Bergeron?

Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
  #59
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,803
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by since76 View Post
YEs Seguin is a deception since the beginning of season BUT a big part of his problem is HIS CENTER, Bergeron is a desaster in offense, he create NOTHING and he shot on the goalie from 100 feet !!!
I KNOW bergie is a god here and everyone who don't say he is perfect every second of his life will be banned and accused of sin against god
but Seguin need an offensive and CREATIVE center like Krejci

Bergie is a wonderful player but he match well with Marchand type of player
there is truth to this- Bergeron is a wonderful player but as I wrote on my last paragraph I'd go with Spooner with him because I see exactly what you said.

Bergeron does go well with Marchand- its a fantastic line with Patrice and Brad at the core in that its almost like a third line qualities but has that 'can look good in a dress or jeans' feel about it. They can be the best line in the biggest game, but overall they are clearly a very good second line.

If Chris does struggle I'm starting to get the itch for Spooner at third line center, give him Seguin and move Kelly to wing (he can handle it and keep an eye on the backend if these two get caught), you move Peverley to RW with Bergeron.

Bergeron is a very good all-around player but I'm not sure he is the guy who will bring the best offensively out of Seguin- Spooner some day will. The kid may still be 50 or more games away but when he matures and gets experience watch the bleep out

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:35 PM
  #60
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
there is truth to this- Bergeron is a wonderful player but as I wrote on my last paragraph I'd go with Spooner with him because I see exactly what you said.

Bergeron does go well with Marchand- its a fantastic line with Patrice and Brad at the core in that its almost like a third line qualities but has that 'can look good in a dress or jeans' feel about it. They can be the best line in the biggest game, but overall they are clearly a very good second line.

If Chris does struggle I'm starting to get the itch for Spooner at third line center, give him Seguin and move Kelly to wing (he can handle it and keep an eye on the backend if these two get caught), you move Peverley to RW with Bergeron.

Bergeron is a very good all-around player but I'm not sure he is the guy who will bring the best offensively out of Seguin- Spooner some day will. The kid may still be 50 or more games away but when he matures and gets experience watch the bleep out
Very excited about Spooner's potential. And I think you are right about he being a good match for Seguin... Seguin seems to work best when Lucic is out there for some reason, so maybe you put the 3 of them on a line one day?

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
  #61
DJENTLEMAN
Handsome Ralph
 
DJENTLEMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 2,461
vCash: 500
Seguin's routine of attempting to speed past the opposing defenders at the blueline, realization that he can't, move to dekes and jukes, realizing that these moves aren't good enough for NHL defensemen, and finally realizing he's in too deep in the offensive zone for his expected breakaway / clear shot to the net - that whole routine is becoming more predictable then Ryder's toe-drag past the blueline, and NHL defensemen are beginning to predict it before he even attempts it.

He needs to learn a new way to enter the offensive zone and utilize his line-mates better.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
  #62
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
Seguin hasn't been as bad as people are making it out to be, but it's just frustrating because he is our goal scorer and when he goes to dangle through people it looks bad. He's snake bitten, it's not a lack of effort. He looked like he had a goal on his birthday, he's scored twice in the shootout that counted and then twice in a row where the first one didn't count which didn't get as much praise as it should have. He should've had a goal last night. When are people going to call out Bergeron?
Good luck with that. LIke DKH says up above, it's not the best idea in the world to have your best offensive forward working with a guy who's shooting percentage is less then 10%.

You could swap Horton and Seguin, but it seems like Horton doesn't do much without those two.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:38 PM
  #63
Rookie Chargers
Registered User
 
Rookie Chargers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Azores
Posts: 7,752
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsABruin View Post
I am a BIG Seguin fan............I wanna know WTF is wrong with him? 8 games in and 1 goal and it is an EN.
The Kessel Curse. As long as Seguin doesn't score so doesn't Kessel.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:40 PM
  #64
WBC8
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Da Wood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 34,476
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Seguin's routine of attempting to speed past the opposing defenders at the blueline, realization that he can't, move to dekes and jukes, realizing that these moves aren't good enough for NHL defensemen, and finally realizing he's in too deep in the offensive zone for his expected breakaway / clear shot to the net - that whole routine is becoming more predictable then Ryder's toe-drag past the blueline, and NHL defensemen are beginning to predict it before he even attempts it.

He needs to learn a new way to enter the offensive zone and utilize his line-mates better.
Like Artemis says a lot of it is frustration... When you become frustrated you become selfish (not intentionally). Our coaching is the best in the league (well, other than PP) and they will figure it out and set him straight.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:42 PM
  #65
BobbyAwe
Registered User
 
BobbyAwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leviathan View Post
Seguin's routine of attempting to speed past the opposing defenders at the blueline, realization that he can't, move to dekes and jukes, realizing that these moves aren't good enough for NHL defensemen, and finally realizing he's in too deep in the offensive zone for his expected breakaway / clear shot to the net - that whole routine is becoming more predictable then Ryder's toe-drag past the blueline, and NHL defensemen are beginning to predict it before he even attempts it.

He needs to learn a new way to enter the offensive zone and utilize his line-mates better.
Good analysis

BobbyAwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
  #66
patty59
***************
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,233
vCash: 500
I'm not too worried, I figured it would take him a bit to shake that Euro out of his game. Nice to see him going to the net the past few games.

He'll be fine.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:46 PM
  #67
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,803
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Very excited about Spooner's potential. And I think you are right about he being a good match for Seguin... Seguin seems to work best when Lucic is out there for some reason, so maybe you put the 3 of them on a line one day?
the problem is that both are so young and I am basing all my drool on offensive potential- seeing how they both skate, and putting 2 + 2 together and saying, 'well, Spooner can really create and pass the puck, and Seguin can really shoot it and looks like a goal scorer'. Problem is the defensive side of the game and the physical part of the game- you'd have two guys who lean to finesse and two guys who are not noted for their defense.

Spooner according to OOG did make strong inroads in this last year in Juniors and became quite the elite PK. I spend most of my time (when not eating drinking talking or texting at Providence games) watching Spooner- made easier without Knight their to really make it difficult to focus on two players. And Ryan has appeared to picked up his defensive zone coverage and coming back much better. Although he really has no choice cause I believe Cassidy will go and has gone ballistic on guys who aren't playing the complete game

I like Ryan's game a lot- there are things that are just NHL right now, but the guys are so big up there and one mistake like we saw with Chara and you got Tomas bleeping Vanek taking a one-timer and its in the net. Spooner can't do that stuff up here- Claude will go get hair just so he can have it fall out.

I'll say this Lou, the day Seguin and Spooner are out together at forward in OT and Dougie on defense is going to be heart racing stuff if you are a Bruins fan

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:53 PM
  #68
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 25,803
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Good luck with that. LIke DKH says up above, it's not the best idea in the world to have your best offensive forward working with a guy who's shooting percentage is less then 10%.

You could swap Horton and Seguin, but it seems like Horton doesn't do much without those two.
and Horton, Krejci, and Lucic go together like Mo, Larry, and Curley. Once you start adding Shemp and Joe whatever his name it doesn't work.

How bizarre is it that Horton who hadn't played in a year and is coming back off two concussions is playing better than he ever has in Boston imo, and Seguin who was playing during the lockout and is healthy is struggling.

Krejci is happy and as Krejci goes mood-wise history has shown so go the Bruins

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
  #69
BergyWho37
Registered User
 
BergyWho37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
the problem is that both are so young and I am basing all my drool on offensive potential- seeing how they both skate, and putting 2 + 2 together and saying, 'well, Spooner can really create and pass the puck, and Seguin can really shoot it and looks like a goal scorer'. Problem is the defensive side of the game and the physical part of the game- you'd have two guys who lean to finesse and two guys who are not noted for their defense.

Spooner according to OOG did make strong inroads in this last year in Juniors and became quite the elite PK. I spend most of my time (when not eating drinking talking or texting at Providence games) watching Spooner- made easier without Knight their to really make it difficult to focus on two players. And Ryan has appeared to picked up his defensive zone coverage and coming back much better. Although he really has no choice cause I believe Cassidy will go and has gone ballistic on guys who aren't playing the complete game

I like Ryan's game a lot- there are things that are just NHL right now, but the guys are so big up there and one mistake like we saw with Chara and you got Tomas bleeping Vanek taking a one-timer and its in the net. Spooner can't do that stuff up here- Claude will go get hair just so he can have it fall out.

I'll say this Lou, the day Seguin and Spooner are out together at forward in OT and Dougie on defense is going to be heart racing stuff if you are a Bruins fan
AKA .. Savard and Kessel

BergyWho37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
  #70
unifiedtheory
Registered User
 
unifiedtheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burnaby, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,819
vCash: 500
I'm officially concerned.

Not long term, the kid will be fine but for the short term, I am worried.

He needs to simplify, like has been said. Get puck, use your wheels intelligently, use your very good line mates, go to the dirty areas. Work harder, simplify.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  #71
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
and Horton, Krejci, and Lucic go together like Mo, Larry, and Curley. Once you start adding Shemp and Joe whatever his name it doesn't work.

How bizarre is it that Horton who hadn't played in a year and is coming back off two concussions is playing better than he ever has in Boston imo, and Seguin who was playing during the lockout and is healthy is struggling.

Krejci is happy and as Krejci goes mood-wise history has shown so go the Bruins
Sounds like an episode of Bear & The Gang: "Looch and Horty do whatever it takes to make David happy. Hilarity and hijinx ensue."

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:11 PM
  #72
Braunbaer
Braunbär
 
Braunbaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 200
He has to stop thinking he's Kovalchuk.
And he has to hit the damn net.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:37 PM
  #73
Montecristo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 503
vCash: 500
My preface for my next statement is that seguin is very snakebitten. He could easily have 5 goals if he wasn't hitting posts or being robbed. But having said that, seguin is not an elite puck handler. Especially in traffic he is soft on the puck, more so than most forwards on the team. I think he would be much more effective playing the point on the power play where he can have a little more room to operate and more successfully utilize both his shot and his on ice vision. Marchand seems to be the player that should be on the halfwall since he is so strong on the puck in traffic and might have the best hands on the team. I'd like to see a Marchand-krecji-Horton PP line with seguin and chara on the point. I think that could be lethal, with Bergeron centering lucic and peverley on the 2nd unit with bourque and Hamilton at the points. (bourque played the point in providence). I think the points will come in bunches for seguin still as this season moves forward but if he could be stronger on the puck as he develops his game he could truly be an elite player in this league. Giroux level at the least. Without improved puck control though, I don't think he'll ever score 40 or reach 90 points

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
  #74
Artemis
Took the red pill
 
Artemis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: United States
Posts: 16,481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
He has to stop thinking he's Kovalchuk.
And he has to hit the damn net.
Seguin has 27 SOG in eight games. To put that in context, he's tied for ninth in the NHL, and has more than Iginla, P.Kane, E.Kane, JVR, St. Louis, Horton and Tavares, just to name a few.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...ffense&sort=11

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
  #75
bruins04
Registered User
 
bruins04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
i know our first line has been dynamite through the early stages of this season.
i really would like to see horton and seguin swapped between the first two lines for at least a little bit.

Lucic and Seguin really had their moments last year, you give them another chance to get that magic going. Horton has been a beast this year by the way, he should help bergy and marchy keep it going without setting them back.

but once seguin gets going again, im good with our lines as they are. just gota try more to give seguin different looks. at least he is contributing in the shootout, helping the B's bank valuable points.

bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.