HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2013, 10:34 AM
  #726
Material Defender
Registered User
 
Material Defender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You guys seem like a paranoid bunch... who cares what those Yotes players think in the short term. Trade them for assets and build a new tradition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
He is, i am not.
He is, you are not, I am.

2-1

Material Defender is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:11 AM
  #727
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal1971 View Post
The only french that Sakic knew was Merci, and believe me, he was still adored in Quebec City, so actually, ice performance outshine everything.
Could not agree with you more. And i dont mind an english speaking coach or GM. They will just have to learn french to have the job. And BTW, learning a language is not that hard, if you put work into it.


Last edited by Undertakerqc: 02-02-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Undertakerqc is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 11:52 AM
  #728
JB52
Registered User
 
JB52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Yandle loves Phoenix. I'd imagine he would want to be traded to another team, rather than move with it to Canada. Also, he is worth quite a bit in trade and could fetch some nice forwards. Morris is the same way. Along with Doan, I think those three get traded. Everyone else will be happy to play for QC.
Well, if the coyotes leave Phoenix, he will have to play elsewhere, anyway, no? So what will be the différence.

In 94 we all thought that all our beloved Nordiques loved Quebec too much to ever leave us, one year latter, only Uwe Krupp, the german guy, remebered us enough to have a thought for us the night they won the Stanley cup.

JB52 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 07:04 PM
  #729
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Could not agree with you more. And i dont mind an english speaking coach or GM. They will just have to learn french to have the job. And BTW, learning a language is not that hard, if you put work into it.

Regardless, there are many good bilingual Potental GM's and coaches out there, it's not like they are rare or anything

roccerfeller is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 07:13 PM
  #730
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Yeah, I would preferred to see the Jets using their old look.....I tend to be a bit of a traditionalist where uniforms are concerned so you KNOW I'm banking on the classic Nordiques colors
The jets have had 4 different jerseys during the franchises both iterations' existence. There was never any consistency, unlike the Nords or Oilers.

So in that sense, tradition dictates they would have changed the jersey up a bit. They managed to keep the red in (per maple leaf) and TNSE owns the old logos anyways, so they can put out a classic third jersey (like Ottawa) if desired that resembles the one of the old schemes.

For the Nords, it would make sense to bring back the logo we all remember and love but it would be smart to have something new to sell. Otherwise, we all have old nords jerseys already and for many people the incentive to purchase a new one might not be as high, whereas changing the logo even slightly will give it more market value: the New Jersey because the hot item and the older more retro look becomes more sought after too since it juxtaposes the new one. That's what happened with the Jets.

Look at the flames, they keep jersey sales alive just by swapping colour schemes from classic to current while selling both jerseys.

roccerfeller is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 08:46 PM
  #731
Shawa666
Registered User
 
Shawa666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Québec, Qc, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,308
vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
The jets have had 4 different jerseys during the franchises both iterations' existence. There was never any consistency, unlike the Nords or Oilers.

So in that sense, tradition dictates they would have changed the jersey up a bit. They managed to keep the red in (per maple leaf) and TNSE owns the old logos anyways, so they can put out a classic third jersey (like Ottawa) if desired that resembles the one of the old schemes.

For the Nords, it would make sense to bring back the logo we all remember and love but it would be smart to have something new to sell. Otherwise, we all have old nords jerseys already and for many people the incentive to purchase a new one might not be as high, whereas changing the logo even slightly will give it more market value: the New Jersey because the hot item and the older more retro look becomes more sought after too since it juxtaposes the new one. That's what happened with the Jets.

Look at the flames, they keep jersey sales alive just by swapping colour schemes from classic to current while selling both jerseys.
You're excluding the WHA years.

Pics of all the jerseys worn by the Nords.

Shawa666 is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:18 PM
  #732
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates
 
Morgoth Bauglir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
The jets have had 4 different jerseys during the franchises both iterations' existence. There was never any consistency, unlike the Nords or Oilers.

So in that sense, tradition dictates they would have changed the jersey up a bit. They managed to keep the red in (per maple leaf) and TNSE owns the old logos anyways, so they can put out a classic third jersey (like Ottawa) if desired that resembles the one of the old schemes.

For the Nords, it would make sense to bring back the logo we all remember and love but it would be smart to have something new to sell. Otherwise, we all have old nords jerseys already and for many people the incentive to purchase a new one might not be as high, whereas changing the logo even slightly will give it more market value: the New Jersey because the hot item and the older more retro look becomes more sought after too since it juxtaposes the new one. That's what happened with the Jets.

Look at the flames, they keep jersey sales alive just by swapping colour schemes from classic to current while selling both jerseys.
Yeah, well, I know sports teams do that crap to sell merchandise.....but I don't have to like it. I find teams changing up unis and colors every few years to sell a few more jerseys to be, frankly, irritating as ******.

Morgoth Bauglir is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 09:22 PM
  #733
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Could not agree with you more. And i dont mind an english speaking coach or GM. They will just have to learn french to have the job. And BTW, learning a language is not that hard, if you put work into it.
I would not mind an english coach and/or GM for the Nords but I just don't see it happening. There's a media empire in Quebecor waiting in the wings to serve a huge fanbase and they'll want to please them as much as possible. Roy is a God in the city, he'll get the job. And if he don't they'll give those jobs to former Nordiques players.

Furthermore, knowing Quebecor, they'll want a media-friendly coach with an exciting up-tempo offensive style. Putting all this together, it will be a change from top to bottom.

Kimota is offline  
Old
02-02-2013, 10:24 PM
  #734
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
You're excluding the WHA years.

Pics of all the jerseys worn by the Nords.
I specifically meant the logo, the colours was separate, but honestly all of those Nords jerseys are awesome (imo)

roccerfeller is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
  #735
roccerfeller
jets bromantic
 
roccerfeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,031
vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Yeah, well, I know sports teams do that crap to sell merchandise.....but I don't have to like it. I find teams changing up unis and colors every few years to sell a few more jerseys to be, frankly, irritating as ******.
That's true, and that's fair. I'm not into buying each and every single colour scheme either. But from a business perspective when one looks at the market as a whole, it's not a bad thing.

It did wonders for the Jets, financially speaking. I know in Calgary, Jets merchandise was selling more than even Flames stuff at one point. There are tons of Nords fans who would jump at a new Jersey across the nation

roccerfeller is online now  
Old
02-02-2013, 10:44 PM
  #736
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Yeah, well, I know sports teams do that crap to sell merchandise.....but I don't have to like it. I find teams changing up unis and colors every few years to sell a few more jerseys to be, frankly, irritating as ******.
Teams should settle on a really good home and away and rotate third and special event uniforms every few years. That should keep fans and the NHL happy.

Quebec should definitely bring back their old uniforms and not change a thing other than an update to the logo. I love those old unis.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:09 PM
  #737
Shawa666
Registered User
 
Shawa666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Québec, Qc, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,308
vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Teams should settle on a really good home and away and rotate third and special event uniforms every few years. That should keep fans and the NHL happy.

Quebec should definitely bring back their old uniforms and not change a thing other than an update to the logo. I love those old unis.
You can't change that logo.

It's already perfect.

Shawa666 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 02:12 PM
  #738
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,262
vCash: 500
I would hope that QC would avoid the temptation of easy money by changing the jerseys. The ones posted are great. Honestly, one of the things I'd look forward to, should the Coyotes move. Perhaps updated a bit for the newer jersey styles, but don't touch the logo.

XX is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 03:44 PM
  #739
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
You can't change that logo.

It's already perfect.
I think a giant Fleur de lis would be better. I think they look awesome. I like the one from Florence best, however using it would detract from the French significance.

I'd just sew a big patch like the one below on the front. Reminds me of Jousting for some reason.


Last edited by Confucius: 02-03-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Confucius is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:10 PM
  #740
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: Fiji
Posts: 25,057
vCash: 50
Yeah, I do like the fleur-de-lis idea, too.



That logo is the one I still highlight as the best idea, imho. Sweater could use a bit more detail, but that's what I'd point at as a good future idea for a new Nordiques team. Especially with the old Nordqiues logo tucked in there (personally think mirroring it on the other side would make it perfect).

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:14 PM
  #741
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Yeah, I do like the fleur-de-lis idea, too.



That logo is the one I still highlight as the best idea, imho. Sweater could use a bit more detail, but that's what I'd point at as a good future idea for a new Nordiques team. Especially with the old Nordqiues logo tucked in there (personally think mirroring it on the other side would make it perfect).
Wow that is a great idea, crap I swear I'd buy one.

Confucius is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:16 PM
  #742
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I would not mind an english coach and/or GM for the Nords but I just don't see it happening. There's a media empire in Quebecor waiting in the wings to serve a huge fanbase and they'll want to please them as much as possible. Roy is a God in the city, he'll get the job. And if he don't they'll give those jobs to former Nordiques players.

Furthermore, knowing Quebecor, they'll want a media-friendly coach with an exciting up-tempo offensive style. Putting all this together, it will be a change from top to bottom.
However, the coach and the GM must speak French, right?

What about the roster? Do you think the Quebec City hockey fanbase will embrace the vast majority of non-Francophone speakers?

If not? What can be done?

Marc08 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:20 PM
  #743
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
However, the coach and the GM must speak French, right?

What about the roster? Do you think the Quebec City hockey fanbase will embrace the vast majority of non-Francophone speakers?

If not? What can be done?
I can see a French speaking coach, GM not so much, player even less so. How often does the GM speak publicly (other than Burke) just have a translator.

Confucius is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:24 PM
  #744
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I can see a French speaking coach, GM not so much, player even less so. How often does the GM speak publicly (other than Burke) just have a translator.
What about pre-game and post-game interviews?

Marc08 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:30 PM
  #745
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
What about pre-game and post-game interviews?
As I said Coach should be able to speak French, then just have a translator for the players. When the Russian players come over they have no help but everyone gets by. What do players really have to say, they get asked leading or questions with obvious answers. Rarely do they provide insight, usually they just reaffirm what the questioner says. Like oh yeah we have to do this or that. Oh yeah he can be very dangerous. Oh yeah we have to be better etc..

Confucius is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:32 PM
  #746
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,262
vCash: 500
If a guy performs, who cares? I realize it's nice to hear it in your own language, and possibly a nice nod to local tradition if a player goes out and learns french. But it absolutely has no place in hockey related decisions. I hope QC, when they get a team, does not fall into that trap.

XX is online now  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:39 PM
  #747
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
As I said Coach should be able to speak French, then just have a translator for the players. When the Russian players come over they have no help but everyone gets by. What do players really have to say, they get asked leading or questions with obvious answers. Rarely do they provide insight, usually they just reaffirm what the questioner says. Like oh yeah we have to do this or that. Oh yeah he can be very dangerous. Oh yeah we have to be better etc..
Ok. fair enough. What about the captain to speak French?

Just like the pro-separatist lawyer, Guy Bertrand, criticized the former Canadiens' captain, Saku Koivu, who unable to speak fluent French.

Marc08 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  #748
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
Ok. fair enough. What about the captain to speak French?

Just like the pro-separatist lawyer, Guy Bertrand, criticized the former Canadiens' captain, Saku Koivu, who unable to speak fluent French.
Well I guess the bottom line is whatever the people in QC want. If they feel it's that important then it is. However I would prefer the best player available and living in Toronto I really wouldn't care if he could speak english. If I lived in QC I wouldn't care if he could speak French.

Confucius is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:50 PM
  #749
Marc08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
Well I guess the bottom line is whatever the people in QC want. If they feel it's that important then it is. However I would prefer the best player available and living in Toronto I really wouldn't care if he could speak english. If I lived in QC I wouldn't care if he could speak French.
Neither do I. But not good enough for Bertrand.

Marc08 is offline  
Old
02-03-2013, 04:51 PM
  #750
Revo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
The team would have, if it comes to life under Quebecor, the goal to bring in Quebecers and/or French speaking people in the organisation, you can be sure of that... with that said, I don't think they would go over the top with it, it would be a long term objective, and winning would still be the be all and end all. Learning a minimum of French for those who are to stay for a long time with the Nordiques could be «necessary», though. It's a community thing, really, for the whole city to beat perfectly at the rythm of the team, there would need to be both giving and receiving in the «relationship». In Quebec's case, that includes language because of the special situation in North America... but it isn't about langage. It's about identity.


Last edited by Revo: 02-03-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Revo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.