HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roman Turek to the Avs proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2003, 01:36 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Roman Turek to the Avs proposal

Since Aebi has proven he might have what it takes to get the job done, the avs focus appears to be on obtaining a veteran backup who has playoff experience ala tugnutt for turco.

there was an article detailing the avs switch to getting a backup on spectors today.

so who's out that there that fits that description.

burke-to good to be a backup, costly as well

dafoe- stated he would never play for the avs

turek- let's see, mikka appears to be the new #1, mclennan is a solid backup, tureks contract is a little to expensive to be calgarys backup.

turek has won a cup as a backup, he has gone deep before in the playoffs(2001), different style than aebi(standup vs. butterfly on knees all the time), proven in the regular season(presidents and jennings trophy). turek appears to be the perfect backup for the avs.

so what would he cost and is it possible to acquire gauthier in the trade as well.

so lets throw out some ideas for some trade options.

trade 1:

to col: turek

to calgary: col 2nd in 04

they gave up a 2nd to get mikka, now receive a 2nd back, makes sense.

trade idea 2:

to col: turek & gauthier

to flames: boychuk and florida's 2nd in 04.

i know flames fan don't want skoula and their d is one of their strong points right now, so boychuk will be ready within 2-3 years when they are going to need replacements.

now the blockbuster, trade idea 3:

to col: turek, gauthier & iginla

to cal: hedjuk, skoula/boychuk & col 1st in 04.

iggy might be too much to afford next year, duke is cheap and can replace iggy's goal scoring and then some. flames save over 8M in the deal, avs add some muscle to their top 6 and could afford iggy next year if forsberg, selanne or kariya bolt. unlikely but worth considering.

now the big problem, what is turek's contract status like, if he has too many years remaining lacroix might not consider him, but if it expires this year or he becomes a ufa in 2 (when sauve should be nhl ready) years, then he might be the PERFECT backup for the avs this year. cant see sutter worried about trading turek to a divison rival, since he unloads the contract and turek would be the backup anyways.

thoughts?

Old
12-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

The second rounder would be more than fine. You keep Boychuk, we'll keep Gauthier and everyone should be very happy.

Old
12-13-2003, 01:44 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
If Turek is moved (which he won't be), his salary will be need to be paid.

None of these trades make since because Calgary won't take on Turek's salary and there are better options out there.

Turek is also not worth a second. Colorado could go out and probably acquire a good goalie for less than a second rounder.

Break it down:

Trade 1: Doesn't make sense. Calgary needed a goalie, Colorado really doesn't. Also as I said before Turek has a huge salary and Colorado won't take it on, and throwing in a second is an insult.

Trade 2: Doesn't make sense for Calgary. Gauthier is there best defensemen and Florida's pick is going to be high. Again a second, this time a very high second which Turek isn't worth.

Trade 3: Again doesn't make sense for either team.

Old
12-13-2003, 02:42 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
If I were Calgary and Colorado called up asking for Turek - I'd give him to them for free and thank God for the luck. Mclennan and Kiprusoff are enough. Turek's contract is an albatross.

Old
12-13-2003, 03:00 PM
coolhandluke2410
"BleedBlue44"

Send a message via AIM to coolhandluke2410 Send a message via Yahoo to coolhandluke2410
DO IT COLORADO!! DO IT

Old
12-13-2003, 03:00 PM
wazee

Putting aside the fact that Aebischer is not the goalie I want to see the Avs go into the playoffs with, adding Turek to the roster only serves to make me feel worse about the Avs goaltending situation.

Fortunately, I think the chance of that happening are slim to none. For starters, Turek is vastly overpaid and Lacroix rarely throws away money on inferior talent. For seconds, there will be better available when the time is right.

As for your trade proposals...Calgary would love to unload Turek's salary. If Lacroix wants him....and I cannot imagine that he would...it will take far less then a second.

Old
12-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Michalek

How about :
To Colorado Turek and 2mln each year (It leaves Avs with 2.25mn every year)
To CGY : 2nd

Old
12-13-2003, 04:06 PM
icarus

From a Calgary perspective:

Trade 1: I like
Trade 2: No thanks
Trade 3: I like

Old
12-13-2003, 09:06 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
well i just took a look at turek's contract status:

4.25M this year, 5M next followed by 5.75M option.

that's waaaayy to expensive for the avs.

can't see turek have any chance of coming to the avs unless calgary eats about that.

so my question now is flames fans what do you guys do with turek since kipper has been everything you could have asked for in a #1?

would sutter pick up half his contract and deal him for a 3rd or 4th?

i thought a 2nd would be fair since that seems to be the going rate for goalies recently(kipper, hedberg, cechmanek) but his contract is a major sticking point.

BTW wazee, you said there would be better goalies available for cheaper would did you have in mind?

burke?

i think aebi deserves to remain with the team and compete for the starter's role, many avs think it would be best to acquire a veteran backup, you still think it is best to trade aebi and acquire a veteran #1?

who and for what?

Old
12-13-2003, 10:13 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Goaltending is the very least of Colorado's worries. (Actually, their only worry is getting healthy, IMO.) Aebischer has earned the #1 job clearcut, based on the first three months of the season. Why start a competition? And frankly, unless you bring in Marty Brodeur :p or maybe a couple of others, to which NHL goalie would currently deserve to take over (or even share) his job? No one, IMO. It would only serve to disrupt team chemistry, as the Avs are playing very confidently with Aebischer in net. (Picking up a vet backup is fine, but realistically, if most any team's #1 goes down, their Cup aspirations are sunk.)

If Aebischer continues to play well (and he was superb again tonight), then Lacroix and Granato will/should feel very comfortable heading into April with him in net, especially if the team is bolstered up front with Kariya and Forsberg by then.

If the Avs were not to win the Cup, of course there would be second-guessers, given his lack of playoff experience. But the fact is: the guy is playing superbly, among the best goaltenders in the league so far this year. Other than Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour and Osgood, no one else in the league has won a Cup in goal. And a lot of good goalies (Joseph, Kolzig, etc.) bandied about as guys who Colorado "must get" to replace Aebischer, have failed repeatedly to win a Stanley Cup.

So Aebischer may well be the best option in goal for that team come playoff time. The next three months will confirm or refute that notion.

Am baffled how anyone watching the Avs and Aebischer so far this season would even consider a move in goal at this point. Unless one wants to assume future failure, based on no evidence. Trust your players!

"...many avs think it would be best to acquire a veteran backup..."

Avs?...Or Av's fans? Big difference.

Last edited by Trottier: 12-13-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old
12-15-2003, 06:27 PM
tiredman

I don't think Turek is a really bad goalie. He is underrated.

Old
12-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
If Aebischer continues to play well (and he was superb again tonight), then Lacroix and Granato will/should feel very comfortable heading into April with him in net, especially if the team is bolstered up front with Kariya and Forsberg by then.
I hope they do feel comfortable.

How many goalies in their 1st season as a starter won a Cup while playing for a team that was expected to win? Don't underestimate the pressure difference between playing for a team that isn't expected to do anything (Theodore, Giguere) vs. playing for a team that is expected to win (Turco).

That said, Turek is not the answer...

Old
12-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Adam West

i think potvin is probably the cheapest goalie colorado could bring in to serve as a backup (1 year @ a little over 1 million). im not so sure he'll come available as the bruins will probably be content with him backing up raycroft in a first round exit.

Old
12-15-2003, 07:16 PM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
How about

TO COLORADO: Roman Turek, 3.5 million dollars

TO CALGARY: A conditional draft pick, depending on how far the Avalanche go...

2nd Rounder if they win the Stanley Cup
3rd if they go to the Western Conference Finals
4th if they get to the Semi
5th if they get beat in the first round

Old
12-15-2003, 07:32 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

This would be more like it...

To Colorado: Roman Turek
To Calgary: cheese danish

Old
12-15-2003, 08:46 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
This would be more like it...
To Colorado: Roman Turek
To Calgary: cheese danish
If I am the Flames, I take it and run for the hills. Mail the cheese danish to Medvedev.

Old
12-15-2003, 09:57 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456
I don't think Turek is a really bad goalie. He is underrated.
It's funny you say that. He's like Tanguay. He impressed for awhile, but then became overrated. Then everyone realised he was overrated and a smear campaign began, so much so that he soon became underrated. So I'm saying that I agree.

Old
12-16-2003, 06:43 AM
AvsGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
If I am the Flames, I take it and run for the hills. Mail the cheese danish to Medvedev.

Old
12-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala
How about

TO COLORADO: Roman Turek, 3.5 million dollars

TO CALGARY: A conditional draft pick, depending on how far the Avalanche go...

2nd Rounder if they win the Stanley Cup
3rd if they go to the Western Conference Finals
4th if they get to the Semi
5th if they get beat in the first round
The more of the contract Calgary picks up the higher the compensation. A good part of Tureks contract has been paid at this point, (about 1/3) and since this is more of a deadline move the majority of the contract will have been paid. Leaving the majority of next season being picked up by the Flames 3.5 given in the trade.

If the pick is conditional, based on performance by the team, then the Flames shouldn't have to pay 3.5 mill. JMO.

Edit: I would also structure the picks based on number of games played by Turek instead of the playoff performance. Maybe something like a conditional pick in 04 and 05 based on games played in each season.

Closed Thread