HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Burgs

vCash: 500
Matt Murray getting pulled in consecutive games after allowing 5 goals on 12 shots combined. Pouliot still out, Ruopp not playing this weekend, Seymour still gone... Paul Thompson on IR, week-to-week. Yikes. At least old faithful Harrington was a +3 in a 3-0 Knights win.

Old
02-02-2013, 10:27 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Matt Murray getting pulled in consecutive games after allowing 5 goals on 12 shots combined. Pouliot still out, Ruopp not playing this weekend, Seymour still gone... Paul Thompson on IR, week-to-week. Yikes. At least old faithful Harrington was a +3 in a 3-0 Knights win.
Sadly they took an assist they originally gave to Harrington earlier in the game. At least he's finished at 3

Old
02-02-2013, 10:28 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Too bad there's no ETA For Pouliot's return...

Old
02-02-2013, 11:48 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Eric Comrie is certain to drop due to his injury and I think he'd be worth a 2nd or 3rd pick (assuming he recovers).
As mentioned earlier this thread, I would have looked at Subban with our 2nd 1st last year over Matta, but with this coming draft being so deep, I don't think this is the draft where I would use a 2nd or perhaps even 3rd round pick on a goalie. There could still be some high quality forwards available in the 2nd & 3rd round. Later in the draft? Sure, I'll take another goalie if the Pens aren't thrilled with Murray's development or they think there is a gem later in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
Stupid Peters taking away Morrow's goals.

Ahh, it doesn't matter. It was just a soft wrister on net through tons of traffic, but what's more important is that Morrow is starting to look/feel more comfortable defensively and played a pretty solid game tonight on both sides of the ice, as did his partner Samuelsson. With better play, he'll get increased ice-time and opportunity for offense and to make an impact in general. If he continues to do that, the points will come. I'm glad he was making the smart, simple plays offensively tonight, like throwing that shot on goal. Let's hope he continues to take steps forward in right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Too bad there's no ETA For Pouliot's return...

Too bad there's no information about his injury at all. But as long as it's minor and he can come back and finish the season & playoffs healthy, I will be happy. Clearly he's performing well, so now he's just to start getting that bigger role in those bigger games, and then in the summer start adding some more bulk to his frame to gain that strength & durability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Sadly they took an assist they originally gave to Harrington earlier in the game. At least he's finished at 3

Yeah, being +3 when your team won 3-0 and he was on the ice for all 3 goals for in a shutout, that's pretty good. I can't wait to see Harrington in the NHL. He will be a fixture on our blueline for the next 10-15 years. I know I keep saying this, but it's really, really hard to picture him NOT being in the NHL next year. The only way I don't see that happening is if both Despres and Dumoulin are in the line-up next year, and both Brooks and Martin are still here, which is probably unlikely given our need for a winger (via trade) and a declining cap. Will be very interesting to see what happens in this regard between now and the deadline or the draft.

Last edited by jmelm: 02-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Morrow seems to be playing better now. Hope that continues.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:03 AM
JTG

It takes a young guy a little while to move from jr to pro. Not surprising that it has taken Morrow a little while to adjust.

Old
02-03-2013, 09:55 AM
chethejet

Short season and with Bortuzzo and Despres playing, especially Despres with Letang, clearly and hopefully Martin is replaced by Morrow next year. So you have Nisky, Orpik, Letang, Despres, Bortuzzo, Engelland, as the top six. That frees 5 million to sign Letang and a winger. They may be young, but by next year, four are veterans, two have played for a year. Add Morrow and if Dumoulin is ready, he replaces Engelland or Orpik if you want to be more adventurous. Of course that is also dependent on Dan disco's out the door.

Old
02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
JTG

I don't personally think Martin goes anywhere

Old
02-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chethejet View Post
Short season and with Bortuzzo and Despres playing, especially Despres with Letang, clearly and hopefully Martin is replaced by Morrow next year. So you have Nisky, Orpik, Letang, Despres, Bortuzzo, Engelland, as the top six. That frees 5 million to sign Letang and a winger. They may be young, but by next year, four are veterans, two have played for a year. Add Morrow and if Dumoulin is ready, he replaces Engelland or Orpik if you want to be more adventurous. Of course that is also dependent on Dan disco's out the door.
At this point, there's no way Morrow will or should be replacing Paul Martin in the lineup next year. If Morrow makes the club next year, it'd be at the expense of Engelland or Bort.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Short season and with Bortuzzo and Despres playing, especially Despres with Letang, clearly and hopefully Martin is replaced by Morrow next year.
Clearly that isn't going to happen.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Karnage420

Quote:
typical NHL13 player right here.
do you even watch hockey?

Old
02-03-2013, 12:28 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
It takes a young guy a little while to move from jr to pro. Not surprising that it has taken Morrow a little while to adjust.

Yeah, and especially when Morrow wasn't even consistent defensively in the WHL. Hopefully he's getting comfortable with the move to pro and a new system, and he can continue to improve and get more ice time.

Quote:

You are not going to see wholesale change of the defense like you are proposing. Why would we trade, say, Engelland, who is signed near league minimum, has been one of our best & most consistent defensemen over the last 2 years, and is also our toughest guys.

Second, Morrow will not be ready to make the jump to the NHL next season, especially with all the other guys we have here. Perhaps come his 3rd pro season, Morrow may make a push, or he may play a full 3 years in WBS. But the guy who will really be knocking on the door to take a spot vacated by Orpik or Martin will be Dumoulin. His game right now is more complete and he is more NHL ready than Morrow, and perhaps even Despres.

Finally, don't count out the (high) possibility that you are going to see a trade made to land a winger. The guy going the other way could very well be Despres, or even Morrow. If we end up trading one of our vets instead of our prospects, then that won't happen this season, and more likely to happen in the off-season or at the draft.

Quote:

I don't see Martin or Orpik going anywhere this season, but I'm not sure we can NOT move one of them in the off-season. Unless we end up trading a young Dman (i.e. Despres) for a young winger who is not yet making a big salary, I don't see us having the cap space to sign/trade for a winger for Sid without shedding one of Orpik or Martin. They are both playing well now and it may be great to keep them both, but the closer each of them gets to UFA status (Orpik expiring a year sooner), the lower their trade value will be. We have to balance cap issues and asset management.

The only way I don't see a trade/big UFA signing is if we complete go from within (i.e. Bennett and/or Megna), or current roster guys like Jeffrey/Boychuk in the top-6, and then going with the rest of the current crew (Duper, TK, Cooke). I'm not sure this is the best case scenario. I would like to see us get one legit winger to play with Crosby and (hopefully) Bennet for next season.

Old
02-03-2013, 03:59 PM
chethejet

For 5 million, what exactly does Martin give you that is worth that investment? Shero has options and Morrow may well be ready to make a contribution next year. Orpik is signed through 2013 if I am correct so why move him. But they do need to get Sid a winger and somebody has to go to do that and that may include Orpik. Harrington needs a year in WBS, but I don't trade Nisky due to a favorable contract. Letang is going nowhere so the logical move is Martin with 10 million still eating cap space. The problem is who wants him with that hit.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:33 PM
JTG

Quote:
For 5 million, what exactly does Martin give you that is worth that investment? Shero has options and Morrow may well be ready to make a contribution next year. Orpik is signed through 2013 if I am correct so why move him. But they do need to get Sid a winger and somebody has to go to do that and that may include Orpik. Harrington needs a year in WBS, but I don't trade Nisky due to a favorable contract. Letang is going nowhere so the logical move is Martin with 10 million still eating cap space. The problem is who wants him with that hit.
26-30 mins of stellar defense, this season...

Some people will never be satisfied.

Old
02-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
did Martin put chives in your omelet after you asked him for green onions?

Old
02-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Solution

WBS won today against Hershey 2-1 in OT. Zatkoff with the win making 20 of 21 saves. Holzapfel tied the game in the third period with his team leading 15th goal of the season. Kolarik got the game winner for WBS on the power play in OT when the Hershey captain took a penalty. Holzapfel was assisted by Payerl and Peters. smith and Grant had the assists for Kolarik's.

By the way, this is only from watching the AHL game center scoreboard updates. I am at work so could not get the game.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
WBS won today against Hershey 2-1 in OT. Zatkoff with the win making 20 of 21 saves. Holzapfel tied the game in the third period with his team leading 15th goal of the season. Kolarik got the game winner for WBS on the power play in OT when the Hershey captain took a penalty. Holzapfel was assisted by Payerl and Peters. smith and Grant had the assists for Kolarik's.

By the way, this is only from watching the AHL game center scoreboard updates. I am at work so could not get the game.
Did Beau play? Or is he still out with the dreaded lower body injury?

Would really hate to see him miss a bunch of games for the third straight year.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes C Addle View Post
Did Beau play? Or is he still out with the dreaded lower body injury?

Would really hate to see him miss a bunch of games for the third straight year.
Beau was still out as was Paul Thompson. That is two of the team's better offensive players right now. When/if they get healthy I would imagine the lines looks something like:

Kolarik-Megna-Bennett
Thompson-Smith-Holzapfel
Kostopoulos-Peters-Uher
Gibbons-Sill-Farnham

Old
02-03-2013, 05:36 PM
chethejet

Martin is at best pedestrian at this point and that contract impacts the Pens flexibility to acquire a winger, sign Malkin and Letang at least for now. He hasn;t been the player that one was expecting due to injuries and a system that exposes his soft poke check style of D. I don't dislike anyone but the facts are he is not close to a 5 million dollar player this year, next year and the year after that.

Old
02-03-2013, 05:49 PM
JTG

Quote:
Martin is at best pedestrian at this point and that contract impacts the Pens flexibility to acquire a winger, sign Malkin and Letang at least for now. He hasn;t been the player that one was expecting due to injuries and a system that exposes his soft poke check style of D. I don't dislike anyone but the facts are he is not close to a 5 million dollar player this year, next year and the year after that.
You honestly believe that Paul Martin has been pedestrian this season? He had 18 minutes going into the 3rd period today.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:01 PM
Jacob

If our blue line includes Despres, Bortuzzo, Morrow and possibly Dumoulin as soon as next season as you implied we're in a lot of trouble.

Nothing against any of those guys as they're all good young prospects, but you can't have 2 second year players and 2 rookies on defense and expect to win. Imagine if a vet guy gets hurt and we'd need to call up Harrington for a combined 3 rookies. Things would get ugly.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Malkinstheman

I think shero has everything figured out, hopefully. Him pickking boychuk off waivers shows he understands wingers are needed and this was probably the last plan and if he does or doesnt work out, he will prob trade for a winger. Now what you said is true that our entire lineup cannot be full of rookies but i think only dumoulin will be brought up next year. Morrow still has a long ways to go and it wouldnt hurt harrington to stay in the ahl for a year. So going into the 2014-2015 season if we still have depres and bortuzzo they will be 3 year veterns and dumoulin a second year. Orpik could be shipped to make space for harrington perhaphs and by then maata and pouliout sould be in the ahl.

Edit: Now this is all based on if we make no trades but we will most probably ship out atleast one or two which would clear out a lot of space.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1067
Kitchener scores 11 goals on a pretty bad Erie defense this afternoon, with Marcantuoni scoring once. It was only his 7th goal of the season. This was one of the picks I was really excited about when the Pens took him in Round 4, and he's ended up having such a disappointing year.

Old
02-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Stecz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Kitchener scores 11 goals on a pretty bad Erie defense this afternoon, with Marcantuoni scoring once. It was only his 7th goal of the season. This was one of the picks I was really excited about when the Pens took him in Round 4, and he's ended up having such a disappointing year.
I think he's gone less headless chicken and in such, isn't as effective. We shall see when he goes pro if he can translate or if he'll always be injured, which I suspect.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:18 PM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

Quote:
I agree 100%. If he continues to play like this, no way Shero will want to move him unless he desperately needs the cap space and is 100% certain that the younger Ds can replace his minutes.

Closed Thread