HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I have watched the NHL for 37 years

Old
02-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

vCash: 500
They might as well play first period 5 on 4 for "away team", second 5 on 4 for the "home" team and the third 5 on 5... refereeing's gone down every year in past 3-4 years... just disgusting...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:22 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
They might as well play first period 5 on 4 for "away team", second 5 on 4 for the "home" team and the third 5 on 5... refereeing's gone down every year in past 3-4 years... just disgusting...
the part of this I agree with is that refs seem to be more worried about evening the calls up than they should be. Call what you see and deal with the bad calls. But don't go out of your way to call something or let something slide to keep the numbers close to even.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:38 AM
BREWINZ

Agree with OP.

I can't believe the refs disallowed the goal for the Leafs last night. Rask was OUTSIDE of the crease and the leafs player was pushed into him by a Bruins player. Barely making contact I might add.

The one handed slashing call on Seguin was also questionable at best.

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
the part of this I agree with is that refs seem to be more worried about evening the calls up than they should be. Call what you see and deal with the bad calls. But don't go out of your way to call something or let something slide to keep the numbers close to even.
Agreed... lets see what happens in todays game (caps-pens)... i hope they let them play. the way they've been calling it, the game just doesn't have any flow, its constant "interruptions"... just let them play!

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:43 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

None of the NHL refs were reffing during the lockout, they decided they didn't want to go anywhere and take any other refs jobs, so they just sat out. It will probably take some time to adapt with refs having to jump right into everything, and not even getting any pre-season games to work together.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:20 PM
Fire Dumboer

Larsson just got a penalty for Tavares skating into him

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:26 PM
we like our team

i don't have a problem with the reffing

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
That's what happens when you listen to an announcer who spends all game crying about phantom calls. Watch the other team's feed, and you'll quickly return to the NHL you know and love where the refs make the occasional bad call for both teams, but overall don't do too bad of a job.
I've watched at LEAST 2 games per day/night since the season started. Am I not allowed to say "the officiating is ****ing rubbish" because I'm a Bruins fan and my home teams commentator is Jack Edwards.

Your reasoning is a Bruins fan can't comment on:

- Any dirty hit.

- Anything I find suspension worthy

- Any questionable officiating.

- Any teams commentator (and if you actually listen to other teams you will hear ALL of them have homers, some bigger cheerleaders than Jack Edwards).

I think I understand now.

Seriously, your reasoning is so biased and honestly, ****ing stupid.

Every team has gripes this year about the officials. It seems every game I watch there are a few penalties where you go "huh?" and it has nothing to do with the ****ing commentator.

The officiating this year has been god ****ing awful.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:35 PM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewins View Post
Agree with OP.

I can't believe the refs disallowed the goal for the Leafs last night. Rask was OUTSIDE of the crease and the leafs player was pushed into him by a Bruins player. Barely making contact I might add.

The one handed slashing call on Seguin was also questionable at best.
That is one way of putting it. It was a ****ing TERRIBLE call. Seguin was reaching out with one hand on his stick, dude breaks his stick on the shot, Seguin gets slashing. It was terrible.

The call on the goalie interference was pretty terrible BUT at least there was some contact (they clanked skates).

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:51 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I don't agree with this worst officiating in 37 years is this year business. There was a point in which Kerry Fraser was the second fairest ref. If you didn't have him or McCreary, you had some clown like McGeough, Faucette, DVM, Koharski. Nobody now is as bad as any of these guys were. Auger was, but he got fired in the offseason.

I mean, I will remember what Mick McGeough looks like for the rest of my life he was so bad. Wes McCauley...Dave Jackson...I couldn't pick these guys out of a police lineup with just them in it.

Now, on another note, Gregson needs to sit these guys down and figure out what's boarding and what's not boarding. I've seen harmless bodychecks to the chest get called for boarding and guys driving through another guy's numbers not get called for boarding.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
BobbyShehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
I don't agree with this worst officiating in 37 years is this year business. There was a point in which Kerry Fraser was the second fairest ref. If you didn't have him or McCreary, you had some clown like McGeough, Faucette, DVM, Koharski. Nobody now is as bad as any of these guys were. Auger was, but he got fired in the offseason..
I have watched the NHL for 46 years and I have seen much worse officiating...

BobbyShehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:43 PM
RAZZIE King
König von Schaben

40 year Kings fan (as of today)...but despite what that lying piece of plastic in my wallet says...I'm STILL 39...

I've noticed that since the two ref system took place...the good calls have taken a major nosedive... It's like you're having two different games called and one or BOTH refs are having a horrible game as a result...causing both teams to lose steam because the flow is not there anymore...

I'd rather see the one ref system go back in place due to the fact that the games flowed much smoother and you knew how that ref will call a game... In this you know which ones want to see the players play and clamp down on the worst offenses on the ice and which ones want to place themselves more important than the game (Fraser/McGeough/Marouelli)... You know which ones had control over a game (Stewart/ Hoggarth/Schick) and those which never had it (McGeough/Morel/Marouelli)...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:38 PM
Papaspud
Bring on...

It's almost like referees in this League have tenure, kinda like a college professor. They practically need to kill someone to be relieved of their jobs.

and they act like it as well.

Papaspud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaspud View Post
It's almost like referees in this League have tenure, kinda like a college professor. They practically need to kill someone to be relieved of their jobs.

and they act like it as well.
Who is going to replace them though?

Everyone whines about the NHL refs, then come WJC and WC time everyone whines about the IIHF refs

you can't win

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
They want more PPs to generate more scoring. It's that simple IMO. With that said-I agree with the OP 110%!

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by braille View Post
i don't have a problem with the reffing
Of course not! They are your biggest clients....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Matt Damon

Ya it's bad, but it's like this in every league. I mean as an NFL fan I didn't really even notice a major difference in the replacement refs and the actual ones. In baseball the Umpires can't consistently decide what is a ball and what is a strike. Unfortunately I think we're gonna have to deal with bad officiating in any sport and just hope that the calls at least even out for both teams.

Matt Damon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Habsurdities

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaybCamn View Post
I have never ever seen worse officiating than I have seen this year. I am a Bruins fan but this year I have watched quite a few games that are not the Bs playing, it is just awful, in years past I could kinda understand why some thing were called, this year I am absolutly dumfounded I just cannot figure out why the calls are being made. Hits that dont happen slashes that dont connect. I think it was a Philly game too many men on the ice one team had 7 the other had 8 only one team got a penalty. Being thrown out of the game for being mad, yes is has happend twice from what I have heard. Goal tender interference has gotten just plain stupid. They really need to displine refs and get video involved, the game is just to fast now.
Amen man. I'm a Habs fan and our last 2 games before Ottawa today (couldnt watch it) I felt like watching REFS VS (TEAM A VS TEAM B). They interfere too much with the show, they take too much time to resume the freaking game. The freaking puck drop has become some kind of freak show, They always break up the fluidity of the game it's annoying as hell.

Habsurdities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:32 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The bruins are on the decline and blaming officiating for that decline doesn't pass the reasonaibility test
Good point. It's not like they have the best record in the eastern conference

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:34 PM
Semantics

Every year this exact post appears around the 10 game mark. Every single year. Just stop. The reffing has been "awful" this year, last year, and every other year in the history of the league and it's been "getting worse" since the dawn of time.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:46 PM
MTrangers

To those defending the refs, I see the major difference this year being refs making calls on things they may have saw happen. It's one thing if a ref misses a call but to me there is no excuse in guessing when it comes to calling penalties. Whether it be the Backes call or the goalie interference calls these are made by refs who clearly aren't really seeing what's happening and are making guesses.

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:51 PM
pbgoalie

Watson
Lee

I agree with OP

pbgoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:58 PM
PuckStopsHere02

Everything is amplified 100x with social media in this day and age. Reffing has always been this "bad", but now everyone can see it in 10 minutes with youtube and express their thoughts on twitter and message boards and it reaches everyone faster.

PuckStopsHere02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:00 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I myself have been wondering about the "Home Ice advantage" the Leafs seem to be enjoying against a few teams this year. Seems like it's score a goal or two on the Leafs at home, expect a parade of penalties for your team. Half of the penalties the Caps took were very borderline calls when they played the Leafs. I think Pens fans willl say the same thing about their game Vs them, and now you guys.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
Relax guys the league has mandated the refs seriously call some stuff tighter like interference and holding so it's just gonna take a few months for everyone, players and refs to adapt and then it will be fine, just like the clutch and grab calling in2 004.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote