HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation - 2012-13 (Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2013, 02:42 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Seems the options for a backup are very few. You're looking at guys like Greiss, Bernier, Bishop and S. Mason. Greiss and Bernier would likely command a premium asset. Bishop you can probably get for a pick and Mason I want no part of. Vokoun would have been a good signing last summer.

Upgrading the starter is not much easier unless the Blues are willing to shop Elliot (which they're not) the only other to consider would be Luongo/Schneider and Lu would likely never waive to come to WPG. Schneider would cost us Burmi or Little and would probably get eaten alive much like Pavs behind the JETS current blue line.

Who is left .... Kipper (age) Lehtonen, Thomas??????

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure the JETS are going to ride it out with who they've got and if it keeps going at this rate, we'll be picking in the Top 5.

By next season however, Pavs will be shopped if he shows no improvement. I'm sure they are going to be strict with what they NEED him to work on in the off season and conditioning will be near the top of that list. Getting an elite goaltending coach to work with him should also be a priority. His glove hand needs to be better as well as working on not playing so deep in the net.

Last edited by untouchable21: 02-03-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old
02-03-2013, 03:13 AM
jiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Seems the options for a backup are very few. You're looking at guys like Greiss, Bernier, Bishop and S. Mason. Greiss and Bernier would likely command a premium asset. Bishop you can probably get for a pick and Mason I want no part of. Vokoun would have been a good signing last summer.

Upgrading the starter is not much easier unless the Blues are willing to shop Elliot (which they're not) the only other to consider would be Luongo/Schneider and Lu would likely never waive to come to WPG. Schneider would cost us Burmi or Little and would probably get eaten alive much like Pavs behind the JETS current blue line.

Who is left .... Kipper (age) Lehtonen, Thomas??????

Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sure the JETS are going to ride it out with who they've got and if it keeps going at this rate, we'll be picking in the Top 5.

By next season however, Pavs will be shopped if he shows no improvement. I'm sure they are going to be strict with what the NEED him to work on in the off season and conditioning will be near the top of that list. Getting an elite goaltending coach to work with him should also be a priority. His glove hand needs to be better as well as working on not playing so deep in the net.
I agree that Pavelec is playing too deep in the net. I think that is the way he is being taught to play. Last year he was too agressive and got caught way out of position on many goals. Seems neither way is working.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:38 AM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
I would do that in a second. You'd have to get Gillis pretty drunk to go for it though
And have pictures involving goats.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:41 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Dan ellis got the win for carolina friday night i thought

Old
02-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
And have pictures involving goats.
hmmm, I didn't realize Gillis liked goats.

02-03-2013, 10:43 AM
Fuelled by Passion

If (again if) Schneider is avail what do you guys think would Kane alone enough to get him? I'm saying Kane cuz I think he holds the most value on the market

Old
02-03-2013, 11:12 AM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled by Passion View Post
If (again if) Schneider is avail what do you guys think would Kane alone enough to get him? I'm saying Kane cuz I think he holds the most value on the market
No way I'd trade Kane to get Schneider. CS is struggling pretty ba right now, so I'm not saying it's always goin to be that way...but it might be he can't handle the position of starter.

I'm pretty sure that Elliott is a product of his system. If I wanted to get a goalie from St. Louis, it'd be Halak.

I doubt that Lehtonen would be available. He's really the perfect solution. I doubt Dallas would let us have him, although Joe has done some weird things in the past.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
You are severely undervaluing Kane. Not many 30 goal scoring physical 20 year old out there. No way you trade him for a promising but unproven starter

Old
02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Fuelled by Passion

The problem is that we don't have anyone if Pavs won't start producing. We don't have anyone even as a prospect. So we need to land someone solid. In a forums world you trade your 5-th round pick for a a top-3 forward or world-class goalie, but in real life you have to give up quality to get quality.
Lehtonen was Thrashers pick I believe and it didn't work out, so I'm not saying it won't work, but maybe Kari himself wouldn't want to come back

So what other options do we have? Bernier? He looked promising till Quick showed up. What would it take for him?

P.S Maybe I undervalue Kane, but I don't see any solid avail goaltenders as well and Jet's depth in goal is terrible

Old
02-03-2013, 11:55 AM
PaperRockChamp

Pavelec is solid. When he works through the mental stuff we will be back on track.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
The problem is that we don't have anyone if Pavs won't start producing. We don't have anyone even as a prospect. So we need to land someone solid. In a forums world you trade your 5-th round pick for a a top-3 forward or world-class goalie, but in real life you have to give up quality to get quality.
Lehtonen was Thrashers pick I believe and it didn't work out, so I'm not saying it won't work, but maybe Kari himself wouldn't want to come back

So what other options do we have? Bernier? He looked promising till Quick showed up. What would it take for him?

P.S Maybe I undervalue Kane, but I don't see any solid avail goaltenders as well and Jet's depth in goal is terrible
true, there's not a solid "available" starter, but that doesn't mean you give up something practically worth more then that for less (yes, i would consider Kane to be worth mroe then a number of the starters in this league- not the top ones, but the mid tier ones).

Someone like Bernier or Schnieder COULD be good, but it would not cost Kane. a perfect example, Tampa's trade for Lindback. Lindback was in a similar situation as bernier, and tampa gave up 2 seconds and some chaff for him- would you trade Kane for that? I wouldn't, not in any market.

not to mention the logistics of dealing for a starter would involve the other team likely downgrading to pavelec- and the only way i could see someone doing that was if, within their system, the heir apparent was taking the reigns, and they needed pav's contract to get them to the cap floor as the backup.

too many moving parts. Do starting goaltenders ever get moved during the season? I'm trying to remember a trade of one that happened mid season in the last few years but can't think of one.

Old
02-03-2013, 11:57 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

I think we should target Eddie Lack. Although if Luongo is traded I doubt he'd be available.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:05 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post
Pavelec is solid. When he works through the mental stuff we will be back on track.
I agree. We're pulling a Toronto here. Look at the D in front of him. One legit top pairing guy, a #4, a guy who should never be higher than the bottom pairing, two rookies, and a scrub.

I don't care what goalie you put in net, with that defence it won't be good.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Hansen Brother

I think we're doing a huge over react, so I want to change the subject.

I would really love to be able to sign Smid this summer. Is there any hope?

Old
02-03-2013, 12:23 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Pavs is the goalie of the future here, we don't hand out 5 year deals to someone the team doesn't have confidence in. Our teams problem is the defensive zone, and the PK. We are way to passive and give up high quality scoring chances over and over again.

He has to be better, but we aren't about to panic about 7 games. He has all the tools to be a very good NHL goaltender, he is still young, and as the team gets better defensively his numbers will improve for all the stats people. If he can work on his conditioning and consistency he can be a top 10 goalie in the league imo. Trading for someone like Bernier/Lack is just going sideways.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:26 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Just a note on the bold part - Bryan Murray gave up a second rounder for Bishop last year, and wants AT LEAST that much back in return for him. His stock has risen even more due to his continued good showing in the AHL in the first half of the season.

Bishop would cost us (just a guess) a second plus a fifth or something. I'm not so sold on him, either.

Old
02-03-2013, 12:53 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I think we should target Eddie Lack. Although if Luongo is traded I doubt he'd be available.
Maybe as a very long term project. Just had surgery and probably won't play for a year FYI.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Wpgpage

I really think people are overvaluing the goal tending position. Teams like Detroit and San Jose have shown year after year that you can win and get to the playoffs with average goal tending and and a strong team surrounding the goalie. There is no reason to spend money or assets to acquire a goalie when we have Pavs who is perfectly capable of being average. Add to that the fact that goaltenders performance is so hard to predict from year to year and it is almost impossible to get value for the players the Jets would have to give up.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:32 PM
KrisowszyJetsPL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
I really think people are overvaluing the goal tending position. Teams like Detroit and San Jose have shown year after year that you can win and get to the playoffs with average goal tending and and a strong team surrounding the goalie. There is no reason to spend money or assets to acquire a goalie when we have Pavs who is perfectly capable of being average. Add to that the fact that goaltenders performance is so hard to predict from year to year and it is almost impossible to get value for the players the Jets would have to give up.
At least someone talking with sense. Pavs is not a problem! The problem is defensive and too pasive PK and play in our def zone!

Old
02-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen Brother View Post
I think we're doing a huge over react, so I want to change the subject.

I would really love to be able to sign Smid this summer. Is there any hope?
I think the Jets need to go hard to sign Smid. Problem is, not only will pretty much every other team be trying to sign him, but I think he will show loyalty and stay in Edmonton. Would be nice though.

A guy I would love to sign is Regehr. Hated him as an Oiler fan but IMO just what our defence needs.

Old
02-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Wpgpage

Quote:
I think the Jets need to go hard to sign Smid. Problem is, not only will pretty much every other team be trying to sign him, but I think he will show loyalty and stay in Edmonton. Would be nice though.

A guy I would love to sign is Regehr. Hated him as an Oiler fan but IMO just what our defence needs.
The Jets may have a chance as Smid worked a lot with Huddy when he 1st came into the league so there might be a relationship there. The market for defensive D's that add little to the offense is pretty set in the 3.0M to 3.6M dollar range and with the cap coming down I can't see any GM doing something stupid and offering a ton of cash to sway him.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Add me to the list of people who would be thrilled to land Smid.

Thinking more about the goaltending situation is really depressing. All our eggs are in the Pavs basket and I can't think of a way around that.

Maybe Pasquale can continue putting up shutouts like he did yesterday and force Chevy to call him up. Looking at his numbers, he is still steadily progressing:

2010/11 - 0.900
2011/12 - 0.911
2012/13 - 0.918

Old
02-03-2013, 03:36 PM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Random thought:

I had no idea that Myers has been struggling so badly. I'd love to see what Huddy could do with him but it probably wouldn't be worth the price tag given the risk involved and I doubt that the Sabres are ready to give up on him this early.

His rookie year was amazing. I thought he would end up as Chara 2.0 (and he still may).

Old
02-03-2013, 06:36 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

A guy who kind of flies under the radar a bit that will be a UFA is Alexander Sulzer. I think he'd be an very solid signing. Would love for the JETS to pursue him big time. IMO they need to bring in 2 quality NHL defensemen especially if Hainsey leaves.

Another player who I've liked for a couple of years now and is on the verge of becoming a full timer NHL defenseman is Korbinian Holzer. Reminds me a lot of our very own Arturs Kulda. Wonder what it would take to swindle him away from the LEAFS?????? Downside being that he too is a righty.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:

Thing is, with the cap falling very few teams are going to have to money that the Jets have to throw around. Despite the bogus thread suggesting otherwise, there is probably no other team that is as well situated to deal with the lower cap than the Jets. They have plenty of cap space and lots of expiring contracts. They are primed to clean up via trades or raking in the UFA's this off-season.

So if the Jets want Smid, I have no doubt it won't be money the reason he doesn't come here. But there is many other factors, and I can't see Winnipeg being appealing to a player playing for Edmonton (our current is barely better, our future is not considered as bright, VERY similiar cities), he may as well re-sign in EDM.

Closed Thread