HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

"Not a Playoff Contender" is a silly statement

Old
02-03-2013, 07:36 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
The only thing more annoying than being constantly singled out is being singled out in a "well, y'know, everybody knows it, I just don't want to be mean about it" fake-magnanimous manner.
I'm gonna be honest with you. I really really want Columbus to do well but I also really really want them to get a chance at MacKinnon or Drouin or one of those top 5 forwards. I'd just really hate for them to lose their chance at some great prospects this year. So at the moment, I'd rather they do badly than do better than they were expected to.

That's my position on it. Sorry if it sounds wrong, that's just the way I see it.

hohosaregood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

so much parody in the league

Propane Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:40 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I'm gonna be honest with you. I really really want Columbus to do well but I also really really want them to get a chance at MacKinnon or Drouin or one of those top 5 forwards. I'd just really hate for them to lose their chance at some great prospects this year. So at the moment, I'd rather they do badly than do better than they were expected to.

That's my position on it. Sorry if it sounds wrong, that's just the way I see it.
I salute your honesty.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Jeepers Creeper

I agree but the "Cup contender" argument is even worse.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
People look at a last place team that just traded their franchise player, what else are they going to think? Cup Contenders?
No, but folks are perfectly happy to do their research for just about any other team. With Columbus, though, it's always "oh, they're going to be last in the NHL again, right?"

And not just this year. Every year. With the exception of 09-10, it's been every ******* year. Not "because the depth isn't there yet." Not "because the new guys won't mesh well." The ONE reason, the ONLY reason you get more than ANYTHING else, is "it's Columbus."

And even that could be, if not accepted, at least tolerated (anybody can see the trend)... except that that's then immediately seized upon as reasons why we have no fans, are a horrible blight on the League, and don't deserve hockey.

That is why a few of us seem to constantly have chips on our shoulders any time someone dismisses Columbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post

Fair enough. I tend to file that under "if it happens, it happens, but that's not what we should try for."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 10:24 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
I agree with the OP (sans the spelling error of "parity").

Finnish your Czech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:34 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
No, but folks are perfectly happy to do their research for just about any other team. With Columbus, though, it's always "oh, they're going to be last in the NHL again, right?"

And not just this year. Every year. With the exception of 09-10, it's been every ******* year. Not "because the depth isn't there yet." Not "because the new guys won't mesh well." The ONE reason, the ONLY reason you get more than ANYTHING else, is "it's Columbus."

And even that could be, if not accepted, at least tolerated (anybody can see the trend)... except that that's then immediately seized upon as reasons why we have no fans, are a horrible blight on the League, and don't deserve hockey.

That is why a few of us seem to constantly have chips on our shoulders any time someone dismisses Columbus.

Fair enough. I tend to file that under "if it happens, it happens, but that's not what we should try for."
Every team has some rep that drives the fans crazy. Dont think Columbus is alone in that aspect Take NJ for example. I dont think they play the trap anymore, but people still associate the trap with them or even Minny. Its not fair is it? Far from it. But you have to look at the facts. They dont win enough to even smell the playoffs, always near the bottom of the NHL year in year out, usually out by Xmas or mid Jan, and had noone to play with Rick Nash, and now he is gone. What else do you want people to think?

Alberta always rubs their nose into it when talking about cup wins vs Vancouvers cup wins, even though the last cup win in Alberta was in 90 and Vancouver has been a way better team over the 20 years than those 2 teams. But what are we going to do about it? Nothing until they win the cup. Same with the CBJ. Until they start to win and make the playoffs, they will always be that team that is always a non playoff contender.

Also you see what the CBJ have done with the drafting and development, compare with Pitts, Hawks and now Oilers and the CBJ are the outside looking in because they dont have an identity when they could have stockpiled picks and drafted and developed better

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 01:58 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
There are so many problems with this list I just don't know where to begin.
Why? Because Nashville isn't a cup contender? In fact, he was being generous. Nashville is atrocious this year without Suter. Nashville's offense is no where to be found. You guys would be lucky to peg that 8th seed.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:00 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Ya you could break it down like this for the West

Cup Contenders
St. Louis
Vancouver
Chicago
Kings

Playoff Likelies
San Jose
Detroit
Minnesota

Playoff Contenders
Phoenix
Edmonton
Anaheim
Nashville

"We'll Get Playoffs Next Year"
Colorado
Dallas

Lottery Teams
Calgary
Columbus
This is what the grouping should be, imo. I just revised the post from earlier.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Every team has some rep that drives the fans crazy. Dont think Columbus is alone in that aspect Take NJ for example. I dont think they play the trap anymore, but people still associate the trap with them or even Minny. Its not fair is it? Far from it. But you have to look at the facts. They dont win enough to even smell the playoffs, always near the bottom of the NHL year in year out, usually out by Xmas or mid Jan, and had noone to play with Rick Nash, and now he is gone. What else do you want people to think?
And for those teams, how many folks then leap from there to proclaiming that the team is a blight and a disease that causes lockouts and should be removed because nobody cares or should care about them?

An ugly rep is one thing - particularly when (admittedly) it's fairly earned. An ugly rep that folks use as justification to disdain your very right to exist is for damnsure something else again.

I'm sure there's folks who've suggested that the unfortunate riots in Vancouver means that the Canucks shouldn't exist. Normally it's tongue in cheek, or just plain trolling. But it's decidedly in the minority. Now imagine if that was mainstream opinion, being expounded upon by national TV commentators. I imagine you'd be pissed off too.

Old
02-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Why? Because Nashville isn't a cup contender? In fact, he was being generous. Nashville is atrocious this year without Suter. Nashville's offense is no where to be found. You guys would be lucky to peg that 8th seed.
Was more based on that post making assumptions based more on last year than this year (see: Detroit as "playoff likely", Dallas as "next year", San Jose as not a contender, et cetera).

Old
02-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Unaffiliated

vCash: 50
Seriously, OP?

People make predictions.

This site would be boring as **** if everyone only made tautological statements.

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:33 PM
CrazyCanucks

Quote:
And for those teams, how many folks then leap from there to proclaiming that the team is a blight and a disease that causes lockouts and should be removed because nobody cares or should care about them?

An ugly rep is one thing - particularly when (admittedly) it's fairly earned. An ugly rep that folks use as justification to disdain your very right to exist is for damnsure something else again.

I'm sure there's folks who've suggested that the unfortunate riots in Vancouver means that the Canucks shouldn't exist. Normally it's tongue in cheek, or just plain trolling. But it's decidedly in the minority. Now imagine if that was mainstream opinion, being expounded upon by national TV commentators. I imagine you'd be pissed off too.
It's because of where all the money is made in the NHL is mostly Canadian and the big north and east markets. I feel jealous that I pay 80 per ticket upper bowl 2nd last row when other markets can't get people out on 4 tickets 20 hotdogs 10 large pops free parking a set of team jerseys etc and still can't sell out. It's the inept team management that puts teams into these cycles. So if the CBJ are rebuilding again. That's what another 3-4 years right? Can your own market handle that?

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Shareefruck

It's a perfectly reasonable statement to make, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 05:03 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Was more based on that post making assumptions based more on last year than this year (see: Detroit as "playoff likely", Dallas as "next year", San Jose as not a contender, et cetera).
Usually, you can make pretty fair predictions for teams based on last year's play while taking into account their offseason activity such as Minnesota and Nashville. Maybe my comment earlier was a little harsh.

Old
02-03-2013, 07:25 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Quote:
It's because of where all the money is made in the NHL is mostly Canadian and the big north and east markets. I feel jealous that I pay 80 per ticket upper bowl 2nd last row when other markets can't get people out on 4 tickets 20 hotdogs 10 large pops free parking a set of team jerseys etc and still can't sell out. It's the inept team management that puts teams into these cycles. So if the CBJ are rebuilding again. That's what another 3-4 years right? Can your own market handle that?
Me: "This sort of thing gets annoying because people keep blithely assuming we don't deserve to exist as a result."

The above reply: "We're more deserving, I hate ticket prices, and you're probably doomed anyways, right?"

You are so very not winning any points here.