HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

foot pain

Old
02-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Zalemander

vCash: 500
foot pain

Hi. I have not played hockey in about 6 years and this year i have started to skate again in hopes of playing some drop in games over the summer. The problem i have, is after skating for a few minutes the middle of my feet start burning with pain. I can usually last for about 15 minutes before i call it quits. Does anyone know how i can work these muscles back into shape? I bought new skates 2 years ago and have had this problem the entire time.

Zalemander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I Am Score*

Did you originally get them baked?

If not, a skate that is not baked and is also poor fitting could be the problem as well as not being in shape. Head over to your local pro shop and make sure you got the fit right first. It's definitley that you're not used to the ice, but it could be the skate as well.

I would do some squats and jog/run to improve strength. I have had this problem sometimes as well.

Do this and stay hydrated which i've found also helps alot. As if I needed another reason to drink the right amount of water throughout the day. Try skating more periodically throughout the week but don't push yourself. If you feel like you can do thirty minutes of skating until hurting, take a break when you do. You have to ease your muscles back into it. Working out isn't about pushing yourself, it's doing the most you can in your limit, resting and then doing that again with improvement.

If you hurt at 15 and push yourself to go to 30-45 you are risking injury and inducing soreness. It likely won't be any fun for you. Follow that advice and you should be fine. Also make sure you have the right socks. Too thick of a sock could increase heat and too short of a sock could hurt your ankles. Try buying some Bauer Performance Socks, specifically designed for hockey skates.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Mattb124

You might be lacing your skates a bit tight in the foot. I had a similar issue an put orthotics in my skates and laced the first 3-4 eyelets more loosely and it helped a bunch. Periodic rest while skating can help too.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 04:50 PM
Sean Garrity
Quack Quack Quack!

If I don't play for a few months I encounter this same problem. Usually it just takes a couple days of skating and then it goes away for me. I think you just have to get the muscles in your foot back in shape.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 07:30 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Next time you're skating try to lace the bottom eyelets just barely snug, don't cinch them TIGHT. Only get the top 3-4 eyelets TIGHT for that ankle support. As long as the bottom laces hold your foot in place (as in not rolling or shifting around) it should be fine.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 04:08 PM
Zalemander

Keeping the laces loose made a world of difference. little bit of pain but im sure thats just me adjusting to skating now. thanks for the tips

Zalemander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Chrisinroch

I find that my feet have grown a lot wider since I was younger. So the skates that fit you for years may not fit anymore.

The same thing happens with ski boots.

Chrisinroch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Next time you're skating try to lace the bottom eyelets just barely snug, don't cinch them TIGHT. Only get the top 3-4 eyelets TIGHT for that ankle support. As long as the bottom laces hold your foot in place (as in not rolling or shifting around) it should be fine.
If anything you want to do the opposite. Bottom tight top looser.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:41 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
If anything you want to do the opposite. Bottom tight top looser.
No, I'm pretty sure I want it that way. I get nothing but compliments on my skating so it must work for me. Different things work for different people.

My reasoning for that advice was that his feet were cramped down lower. If you loosen it up on the bottom it'll relieve that pressure but then you need to tighten the top to make up for the lack of support down below. If it gets him skating it's a good technique.

That advice actually comes from two ill-fitting skates I began with. I got my current pair and they were wide enough to fit my foot but still crammed the sides of my pinky toes inward. Finally punched them out last week and now I can crank em tight all the way up. I skate hard so even waxed laces come loose for me each period.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote