HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
nitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I guess its just a matter of perspective. Ive seen a bunch of Oil Kings games this year as well as last year and he's looked great. He's obviously a better prospect than the three guys you mentioned. Hes done well with his role. If he was put in a more offensive role, I would see him putting up more points. It's not about how hes playing, its about what he projects to be. I guess my opinon of where he projects to be is much higher than your own.
A better prospect than Samuelsson? That's news to me.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:04 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
He is a comparable prospect to Samuelsson IMO. Both have top 6 potential (50-60points), and are a safe bet to play third line minutes with the ability to put up 40 points in a season.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2013, 04:25 PM
will13

Ryan O'Reilly?

Last edited by will13: 02-03-2013 at 11:44 AM.
will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 02:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Mike Fisher clone. I'd take him in the top fifteen.

02-03-2013, 06:40 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
I'm not a huge Samuelsson fan. I don't see his game translating that well. Having said that hes starting to prove me wrong and really took on a new role this year.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:07 PM
alphafox

I haven't watched alot of him, but I feel like he has much more value on the wing. He has the heavy shot and nose for the net to be a goal scorer in the NHL. Add to that the grit to go to the blue paint and he could turn into a solid two way scorer. I think he is a boom or "bust" player. Boom being a first line 30 goal scorer, bust being a defensive 3rd line player.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Riggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I think he is a boom or "bust" player. Boom being a first line 30 goal scorer, bust being a defensive 3rd line player.
Isn't that the definition of a very safe pick, not a boom or bust player?

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:51 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Winkle View Post
Isn't that the definition of a very safe pick, not a boom or bust player?
Yes and no. Its a boom or bust in the top 15/top 20 picks of this year, but a very safe pick afterward. I think to be taken that high in this deep a draft forwards have to have the offensive floor of top 6. Guys like Mantha have the offensive ability to be a top 6 forward without question whereas Lazar may never be able to make that offensive contribution.

P.S. Its not like I'm a pro scout so all this may be B.S.

alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2013, 08:57 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I'm not a huge Samuelsson fan. I don't see his game translating that well. Having said that hes starting to prove me wrong and really took on a new role this year.
His game is quintessentially translatable. As much as they get, really. I couldn't disagree with you more, actually.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 03:44 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His game is quintessentially translatable. As much as they get, really. I couldn't disagree with you more, actually.
Its a matter of opinion whether it is or isnt. Hes a pretty bad skater imo. I think his skating is really going to hurt him on a go forward basis.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 09:10 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Its a matter of opinion whether it is or isnt. Hes a pretty bad skater imo. I think his skating is really going to hurt him on a go forward basis.
His skating has improved a lot this year actually. Its not the bugaboo it once was. I would kill to have Samuelsson as a prospect in my team's system, as would most people. He is going to be a pretty good pro. Whether that is as a top six guy who scores or as a bottom six checker/pest remains to be seen, but he will be there doing one or the other or both one day.

I am the Liquor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 07:44 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
His skating has improved a lot this year actually. Its not the bugaboo it once was. I would kill to have Samuelsson as a prospect in my team's system, as would most people. He is going to be a pretty good pro. Whether that is as a top six guy who scores or as a bottom six checker/pest remains to be seen, but he will be there doing one or the other or both one day.
Agree, Ryane Clowe was known as a bad/slow skater coming out of juniors. I think him and Samuelsson are terrific comparables, I don't see any problem with Clowe's skating these days. I really do think Henrik is the closest we are going to see to Clowe in terms of skill/size/nastiness of any prospect coming up to be quite honest. That's a player every team in the league wants on their team. Huge fan.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:00 PM
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk

Lazar is a better prospect than Samuelsson IMO

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Haven't liked this kid ever. Never understood the top 10 rankings preseason on him. To me he looks like a tweener to me. Not skilled enough to be in the top 6, not big and physical enough to be in the bottom 6.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 08:42 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Agree, Ryane Clowe was known as a bad/slow skater coming out of juniors. I think him and Samuelsson are terrific comparables, I don't see any problem with Clowe's skating these days. I really do think Henrik is the closest we are going to see to Clowe in terms of skill/size/nastiness of any prospect coming up to be quite honest. That's a player every team in the league wants on their team. Huge fan.
Then you haven't seen him much. He's a distinctly below-average skater.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2013, 10:39 PM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
Haven't liked this kid ever. Never understood the top 10 rankings preseason on him. To me he looks like a tweener to me. Not skilled enough to be in the top 6, not big and physical enough to be in the bottom 6.
Disagree completely. He has great speed and skill. Elite shot. Isn't huge but isn't small either (6'0 190, prob will play as a pro at 6'1 205ish) and is known to throw some hits and stand up for himself. If he is not a 2nd line center, then he projects to be a very good 3rd line center ala Dave Bolland or Brandon Dubinsky.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 01:23 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Disagree completely. He has great speed and skill. Elite shot. Isn't huge but isn't small either (6'0 190, prob will play as a pro at 6'1 205ish) and is known to throw some hits and stand up for himself. If he is not a 2nd line center, then he projects to be a very good 3rd line center ala Dave Bolland or Brandon Dubinsky.
The guy obviously knows nothing about the player.

Old
02-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Joey Moss

Quote:
As others have said, you couldn't be further off. Especially the physical part.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:02 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Lazar is a better prospect than Samuelsson IMO
Agreed, Samuelsson is a pretty one dimensional player and is prone to inconsistent streaks. When Lazar isn't scoring, he is saving goals.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:06 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Quote:
Great shot, strong as an ox, will throw hits and fight when he has to, defensively responsible...

Maybe you've been watching the wrong player?

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 11:31 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Put me down as a guy who had major doubts about Samuelsson last year. But I agree with some others here that his skating has improved immensely, and that was the biggest concern I had with his game last season.

I still think Lazar is a superior prospect, though.

Last edited by R S: 02-07-2013 at 05:35 PM.
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:18 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
But me down as a guy who had major doubts about Samuelsson last year. But I agree with some others here that his skating has improved immensely, and that was the biggest concern I had with his game last season.

I still think Lazar is a superior prospect, though.
I definitely agree with this. He has improved his skating a lot this year. I was still somewhat surprised that Craig Button compared the two today. He said that most NHL teams would probably value Samuelsson more than Lazar. It kind of surprises me because he had Samuelsson ranked 29th last year in a much weaker draft.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 06:33 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I definitely agree with this. He has improved his skating a lot this year. I was still somewhat surprised that Craig Button compared the two today. He said that most NHL teams would probably value Samuelsson more than Lazar. It kind of surprises me because he had Samuelsson ranked 29th last year in a much weaker draft.
I think it would make more sense to actually show what was said.

Button was asked: Better EDM Oil kings prospect Lazar or Henrik Samuelsson?

This was the answer - Interesting question. Different players. Henrik is a player who reminds me in style to Claude Lemieux. Big, strong, nasty, and has skill. Curtis is a very good two-way player who has very good scoring hands. Henrik is more unique so I think players like him may be more coveted but Curtis is a very good NHL prospect who I feel will help a team win.

You're right in questioning Button's placement of Lazar and Samuelsson in his rankings, considering how highly he speaks of this draft.

I really don't think he answered the question. Henrik being more unique or rare doesn't make him a better prospect.

In my eyes it's like saying Tom Wilson is the more rare prospect, so he's better than Filip Forsberg. I just don't see that as true.

Samuelsson was 29th on his final list last year, 54 the list before the final (Memorial Cup inflation), yet Lazar has been between 7-25 all season. It's a strange comment to make.

Samuelsson is much improved this year, but I still take Lazar over him every time.

Last edited by arsmaster: 02-05-2013 at 06:38 PM.
arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2013, 07:36 PM
I am the Liquor

They are hard to compare.

Im not sure which one I would choose above the other tbh.

You cant really compare where Samuelsson went in a weaker draft to where Lazar is ranked in a stronger draft imo. Samuelsson has made significant strides in his development since the draft and I doubt very much if he would be taken 25th in a redraft.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 02-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old
02-05-2013, 09:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
They are hard to compare.

Im not sure which one I would choose above the other tbh.

You cant really compare where Samuelsson went in a weaker draft to where Lazar is ranked in a stronger draft imo. Samuelsson has made significant strides in his development since the draft and I doubt very much if he would be taken 25th in a redraft.
I wasn't comparing draft position.

I was comparing where button had them ranked, just to be clear.

The improvement in skating for Samuelsson has been drastic, but it's still a significant weakness. Not one that can't be fixed though.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote