HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Expect the Unexpected

Old
07-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Hiow your team progresses is only one step of the bug picture... how are the other teams improving themselves in the offeseason is just as important.

A lot of teams that were out of the playoffs are getting beetter (boston for example)... since we finished 7th last year we can't afford not to improve our team with more talent, otherwise we'll be looking at a lottery pick.

While we HOPE our kids progress, can you be sure that our best players will continue to be our beat... we don't have enough scoring depth right now..and we are definately lacking a top end defenseman too.

If we have Mike Ribero, Richard Zednik, Murray and Downey playing regular shifts, Boullion playing 15 minutes a game.... I for one think we will need even more from Huet to get into the playoffs. I am SICK and TIRED or the strongest part of our team being goaltending!!!!!!!!

I really doubt that our squad is going to look exactly the way it is as of right now. We are only 2 days into the FA frenzy and there seems to be some sort of a panic mode setting in.

Okay, some big names especially on D are already gone. But I have full faith in this management. But you can also improve by adding players via trade so you give salary away while you take some back. Plus, there's nothing stopping BG to make moves during the season when the player salaries get cheaper as the season progresses.

I'm just glad that there is a big picture here that management is careful not to lose. Especially when we had no picture for the longest time.

As for teams improving around us, there's no doubt our division rivals have all improved on paper. But we've all seen enough instances of situations where teams that look good on paper are nothing more than teams that look good on paper. We've all seen how things can go horribly wrong when teams darastically change the look of their team in the span of one summer.

I didn't get into the pittsburgh hype last season and I will continue to reserve judgment on the active market teams this off season as well.

And it shouldn't come as surprise to anyone that Boston is a big player in this off season. They had nowhere to go but up with oodles of cap room and a new GM who wants to put his fingerprints on the team.

I'm surprised at the amount of d-men that left the market so early but I'm not surprised that the habs have not jumped into the pool only 2 days into the frenzy. Lots of time left in the silly season folks. (Enough time that the next NHL season is still quite painfully far away.)

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 01:31 AM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
Shouldn't we unexpect the expected because we got deceived by Elias, Arnott and so on and this is not new, almost no rumor concerning MTL became reality last season.
Dude, you just blew my mind

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 07:20 AM
goalchenyuk

reading the board , its like as the free agency is the only way to improve a team . It's also like as we are the only team that didn't improve his effective .

Two season in a row we add a good offensive player ( Ryder , Higgins ) and we have other prospects that could be good

Trading isn't forbidden this season ( ! )

Do you seriously thing that the add of Chara and Savard - at the price of 11.5 m$ - is going to make Boston contender ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 09:37 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
reading the board , its like as the free agency is the only way to improve a team . It's also like as we are the only team that didn't improve his effective .

Two season in a row we add a good offensive player ( Ryder , Higgins ) and we have other prospects that could be good

Trading isn't forbidden this season ( ! )

Do you seriously thing that the add of Chara and Savard - at the price of 11.5 m$ - is going to make Boston contender ?
No but Boston will be better for sure.

davey999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:01 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey999 View Post
Like they were better with Thorton, Zhamnov and Leech last year...

Don't hit the panic button yet, we unload Bulis and Sunstrom, Huet is back and Bouillon to.
We still have a lot of young guy in the pipe to fill rooster spot and it look great. Even if the season start tomorrow our rooster would look like that:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
? - Ribeiro - Kovalev
? - Plekanec - Perez
Murray - Begin - Downey

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Bouillon - Dandy

Huet
Abisher

Not to bad! Two spot to fill with young and we are set to go.

And don't forget that the biggest UFA splash was to sign Muller as an assistant coach...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:03 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post

Don't hit the panic button yet, we unload Bulis and Sunstrom, Huet is back and Bouillon to.
We still have a lot of young guy in the pipe to fill rooster spot and it look great. Even if the season start tomorrow our rooster would look like that:

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
? - Ribeiro - Kovalev
? - Plekanec - Perez
Murray - Begin - Downey

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Bouillon - Dandy

Huet
Abisher

And don't forget that the biggest UFA splash was to sign Muller as an assistant coach...
I say they will have more than 74 points next year. You don't?

We'll see.

Old
07-03-2006, 10:04 AM
davey999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ******** View Post

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
? - Ribeiro - Kovalev
? - Plekanec - Perez
Murray - Begin - Downey

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Bouillon - Dandy

Huet
Abisher

If I see Downey and Ribeiro in our starting lineup, then I'll know we're in trouble.

Old
07-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Live Forever

Quote:
If I see Downey and Ribeiro in our starting lineup, then I'll know we're in trouble.

Davey999, you have yet to say one positive comment about our team...Just out of curiousity, can you just list 3 things you like about the Montreal Canadiens?

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:12 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Better than what ? better than who ? Bergeron is a good player and Savard isn't bad at all but do you think that it's enough to give them an offensive punch to go far ?

Toronto is going to have a good defensive core , but is Stajan and their other young players are going to be able to supporte the offensive of Sundin ?

Are Tampa is going to be better with Denis in the goals , but without Kubina , Modin ?

are NJ is going to be better because they resign Elias and lagenbruner ( sp ?)

are the Flyers are better with their the new players they ink ?is Desjardins going to play ? Johnson out ?

are the Pengs did something ?

are the Capitals are suddenly contenders ?

Are the Cans better without the players that they 've just loose ?

Old
07-03-2006, 10:16 AM
ludger

Habs can forget building via free agency, no one wants to come to Montreal except the odd over the hill guys. We must build by shrewed trading and drafting.

ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2006, 10:22 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Ribeiro was the first pointer of the team 2 season ago , and was 4 th last season , with what , 10 less points than Koivu ? 115 PTS ( +- ) for 2 season isn't bad at all ; if you look to most of the second center of the league , i am sure that he 's still in front of most of them . his -6 ? he was + 14, 2 years ago ...

And we have Ferland who is ready ; an hard worker . We also have Lapierre who is a Begin with more upside and offensive .The perfect 3 th liner .

No games loose because Theo give 6 goals , No Dagenais unable to complete a play for 3-4 months ...

Old
07-03-2006, 10:29 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
Habs can forget building via free agency, no one wants to come to Montreal except the odd over the hill guys. We must build by shrewed trading and drafting.
or may be it's just that Gainey doesn't want to overpay his players and for now , all the free agents are overpay with their new contract.

do you realise that Ottawa gave an offer of 7 M$ to Chara , and that he said no , than the day after , he inked with The Bruins at 7.5 M$ ? i can understand that a guy playing with one of the best team of the NHL choose to leave it for one of the worst team , just to add a .5 M$ to his contract .

Old
07-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v View Post
do you realise that Ottawa gave an offer of 7 M$ to Chara , and that he said no , than the day after , he inked with The Bruins at 7.5 M$ ? i can understand that a guy playing with one of the best team of the NHL choose to leave it for one of the worst team , just to add a .5 M$ to his contract .
Oh yeah... Chara look like a guy I want on my team... <-- feel the irony here.

I don't want free agent siging huge contract with our teamjust to float for a couple of season.
A lot of people feel like it's the end of the world that we did not sign any big name yet, calm down for christ sake. the season is not start yet...

Bob Bastards is offline   Reply With Quote